• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable |OT| The Only Good Bug is a Dead Bug

OmegaZero

8, 7, there's ants in both. :V

And 21/28 are good, but I'm mostly talkin' really early and for health. It's really easy to lose 28 by accident at the end cause of the giant ants. ._.

I prefer 8 because the dropships stay in one place so you can just flamethrower them to death (on lower difficulties).
But yeah, either works for farming health and maybe weapons.

Noi

I prefer 8 because the dropships stay in one place so you can just flamethrower them to death (on lower difficulties).
But yeah, either works for farming health and maybe weapons.

I was just kidding, I really did mean 8!

Getting Storm 1's HP to 4000 is gonna take a while...

A few places seem to be showing it as retail as well, although not releasing for a little while. Might be worthwhile holding out to see.

That doesn't seem likely... half the people that bought the DD version would be furious! Many of us - especially the collectors among us - have a deep and abiding preference for physical copies despite their limitations (harder to manage, harder to get, easier to lose, etc.)

Noi

I'm probably going to go for at least 8000 to be safe.
God, this game brings back repressed spider hate.

Instead of hating myself and grinding on purpose, I'm gonna start doing missions on Easy and Normal to get them out of the way. Knock out two birds with one stone!

Still need to find a good mission to farm bike and chopper kills though...

G_Berry

Banned
This sounds like a great pick up and play game. Tell me this, how does the save system work?

-Can I pick it up and say quit half way through a mission and save my progress / xp etc?
-How much stuff is there to grind towards?

Kinda looking for a reason to boot up my Vita!

OmegaZero

This sounds like a great pick up and play game. Tell me this, how does the save system work?

-Can I pick it up and say quit half way through a mission and save my progress / xp etc?

It saves automatically after every mission if you set it up, but quitting mid-mission will make you lose everything you've achieved during the mission. Not that the missions are long or anything.

There are some really rare and powerful weapons that randomly drop on higher difficulties, so you'll be grinding for a while.

17 could work for him as well, but he has to work for it harder. Pretty much the go to farming mission early game is Mission 8: Kill all the Ants until the two Dropships arrive, blow one of them up, then keep farming item drops form the other one. Make sure to kill off your team mates once the dropships arrive though, cause they'll actually shoot them down in lower difficulties.

Yeah, one of the best ways is to clear everything but one ship and just park underneath pointed up with the strongest, fastest reloading, highest capacity and shortest range AR you have, point straight up and mow them down as they drop, you'll automatically get most of the drops and won't harm the ship at all. Just don't forget to also pack a decent rifle or rocket lawnchair to take out the drop ship when you're bored of mowing down bugs.

Even at $40, it's a great value because there are 60+ missions with 5 difficulties that end up varying how you play. Tons of weapons to collect, but not 100% necessary.

Noi

I'm going through the missions on Easy for dem trophies in an online lobby. Look for me if you wanna make 'em even easier!

Holy hell! I'd forgot this was coming out in the EU on Wednesday - and it's my birthday. So bought, even though it is a little expensive. EDF! EDF!

NEO0MJ

Bought this against my better judgment. I feel like I should have waited but a sale but whatever.

Anyways, first time playing this. On which mission does the game pick up? I think I'm at 5 but it's not too fun for now.

Bought this against my better judgment. I feel like I should have waited but a sale but whatever.

Anyways, first time playing this. On which mission does the game pick up? I think I'm at 5 but it's not too fun for now.

I remember seeing EDF 2017 around a friends. Watched for them play co-op for about 15 minutes then had a go myself. Didn't think much of it.

Fast forward six months and after hearing the hype, picked it up pre-owned for £10. Played it, I just can't remember exactly when it clicked - probably the robots on the beach and massive explosions level - it just clicked. I was in love and haven't looked back.

Keep at it, and I advise playing the online co-op. Everything is better in co-op.

It picks up once you start getting larger swarms and underground missions and more weapons. The first few missions are fairly laid back even on higher difficulties, but once you get harder stages and have to pick the right weapons and it's not a cakewalk, it gets incredibly awesome.

Noi

Basically this.

8368071165_65e5615ecf_z.jpg

8370191642_a728f41c6e_z.jpg

Bugs everywhere

Noi

Nooooooooo.
Got disconnected right when we were doing the mission 41 tunnel farm. :/

Good games anyway, Noi.

I thought I was gonna break my L button from all the dodging I had to do to live in that one attempt at mission 35. It's a good thing I was rocking the Lysander 2, otherwise I would have given up.

Number45

That doesn't seem likely... half the people that bought the DD version would be furious! Many of us - especially the collectors among us - have a deep and abiding preference for physical copies despite their limitations (harder to manage, harder to get, easier to lose, etc.)
I'm in the EU so I'm fucked either way, but there's a post (don't think it's in here, might be in the Vita thread) listing a conversation with a retailer in the US who have confirmed the date.

Noi

I'm in the EU so I'm fucked either way, but there's a post (don't think it's in here, might be in the Vita thread) listing a conversation with a retailer in the US who have confirmed the date.

It always seemed weird to me that they even went through the trouble of making official retail box art (which is in the OP) only to cancel it at the last minute. Good news if true!

If someone can confirm it, I'll ask a mod for a title change so people know about it.

Mzo

I'd be pissed, I would much rather have the physical version for $40.

Finished the game on easy with Storm and started up again with Pale Wing omg.

klee123

Played some online coop last night and had an absolute blast. I want to unlock Palewing though, so do I have to clear all 60 missions for that?

CLEEK

Have already racked up 8 hours play time, and I'm only just over half way through the missions. I fucking love this game.

I had been getting into a real groove with Paper Mario Sticker Star, enjoying it loads. But my 3DS hasn't been touched since EDF was bought. I love handheld gaming with the 3DS/Vita twins. I rarely feel the need to console game in the evenings any more, as my 2 x 45 minute train commute each day gives me ample quality gaming time.

SmithnCo

Played some online coop last night and had an absolute blast. I want to unlock Palewing though, so do I have to clear all 60 missions for that?

I unlocked it after clearing 60 on easy.

Working through normal now, pretty easy with some inferno weapons I got from farming the level with two boss dudes in it.

Disappointed to see that the Us release is indeed censored like the 360 version was. I actually think the green blood and orange-ish attacks of the ants looks a bit better but it is still sad that they went to the effort to alter it.

Add me to to OP:

CaptainTiptop - adaggerthrough

Just got it (despite dat price) and it looks waaay better than I was expecting. EU didn't get the DLC weapons, but that probably doesn't matter much.

I'll be up for playing co-op anytime if anyone wants.

Camjo-Z

Disappointed to see that the Us release is indeed censored like the 360 version was. I actually think the green blood and orange-ish attacks of the ants looks a bit better but it is still sad that they went to the effort to alter it.

I didn't even know it was censored until I watched a video of the Japanese version, but I actually prefer it this way. To me it's just a lot funnier seeing randomly colored goop spraying everywhere, plus it makes it easier to tell which bug you're killing, green for ants and tannish for spiders.

I'm definitely considering getting this (rewatched Classic Game Room review for good measure) - in Europe here - , what's the online like? I know it's co-op but is it any use, considering the game was originally designed to be solo'd.

badgenome

I'm definitely considering getting this (rewatched Classic Game Room review for good measure) - in Europe here - , what's the online like? I know it's co-op but is it any use, considering the game was originally designed to be solo'd.

Yes. Co-op is absolutely godly with four players.

Haven't dipped into the versus mode yet.

ijed

what's the online like? I know it's co-op but is it any use, considering the game was originally designed to be solo'd.
Whaaa? game was designed for splitscreen couch coop. If only i could get 3 of my mates to buy a vita but will have a go with randoms once ive done a few levels

SmithnCo

It's great, I played a good amount of online last night. They limit your weapons based on the difficulty so there's bound to be a lot of close calls and funny moments.

KDR_11k

It's 660MB so it's not going to hit your memory card all that hard.

I think the mission structure works pretty well for portable gaming too since the missions are short.

klee123

Unlocked Palewing and got some Lvl 60+ weapons online. Inferno is just nasty.

Still, my fav Vita game.

Online + Palewing makes it worth the price of admission.

Wow, Descent 3 was something. Just one big incoherent mess of bug-parts and goo cluttering up the screen while my health was slowly dwindling. My super-high ROF assault rifle did its job though, and I managed to crawl into one of the side tunnels with just a sliver of health left, and take the rest as the came with the missile launcher.

As much as the price bothered me, I don't have a single regret buying this. Heck, they could give it away on Plus down the road, and I wouldn't mind. This game is FUN.

Skyzard

Banned
Took a chance on this yesterday when it came out in the UK - never played the series before. Very happy with the game, about half way through the main campaign now and playing on a mixture of difficulties...it's just exactly how people describe.

I can always do with more pure entertainment. Not a game I'm likely to ever delete either, especially at 600ish MB.

Noi

Only missing two stages on Hard mode with Storm 1, 58 and 59. Too much for me alone though, waiting for this damn PSN maintenance to end ._.

Top Bottom