• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable |OT| The Only Good Bug is a Dead Bug

KDR_11k

I've played it a bit on the commute and thus haven't seen as much of it as you other guys (in addition to being in Europe so it only came out like two days ago).

How common are those new heavy weapons for the trooper? I've got two so far and they kinda look like they're inspired by Insect Armageddon's heavy armor. Not a good choice for tunnels and such though...

Also I like how using a scope pushes the fog back, most games I've played just keep the fog at the same distance so you end up just staring at outlines when scoped. The draw distance is much shorter than on the 360 so that's really needed here though it does get in the way with some rocket launchers. Fortunately huge enemies like UFOs have a much longer draw distance.

I kinda got the impression that homing weapons are more willing to pick new targets now compared to the 360 version?

It's hard getting used to not caring about NPCs stealing kills after playing IA.

OmegaZero

Only missing two stages on Hard mode with Storm 1, 58 and 59. Too much for me alone though, waiting for this damn PSN maintenance to end ._.

If I have time later today, I'll help out.

EDIT:
I've played it a bit on the commute and thus haven't seen as much of it as you other guys (in addition to being in Europe so it only came out like two days ago).

How common are those new heavy weapons for the trooper? I've got two so far and they kinda look like they're inspired by Insect Armageddon's heavy armor. Not a good choice for tunnels and such though...

I kinda got the impression that homing weapons are more willing to pick new targets now compared to the 360 version?

Those heavy weapons aren't that common. There's a machine gun and a missile launcher, but that's all I got.

Homing weapons seem similar to the 360 version, but I never really used them that much.

SmithnCo

Overall I dislike the heavy weapons but they have their use for certain farming levels, like boss levels.

Playing online in this is easily the most fun I've had online with Vita, and it's perfect for portable because of the short missions. Everyone coordinating their weapons and strategies after failing a couple times is great.

KDR_11k

Piercing shots from that autocannon seem insanely useful but if there are no later game variants of it I guess you won't be using it in places where you actually need that.

KDR_11k

Normal, not easy. Higher difficulties are pretty much intended for "new game plus" style, you will be ripped apart if you try to play hard right away.

anddo0

I'm up to mission 10.
When do the weapons get better?

The MMF40(sniper rifle) and ME1 ML are the best weapons I have so far.
Do you have to pickup those weapon drops in the field in order to get new weapons?

I've already been doing so. But can't seem to get anything better than my starting assault rifle.

Normal, not easy. Higher difficulties are pretty much intended for "new game plus" style, you will be ripped apart if you try to play hard right away.

I managed to beat "Search" on hard. But otherwise I agree.

I'm up to mission 10.
When do the weapons get better?
You should be getting better stuff as you progress through missions. You can also replay earlier ones on a higher difficulty. You get one weapon per green weapon pickup you collect, though it may turn out to be one you've already got. Just keep at it, and you'll get more stuff.

anddo0

^^^ Thanks

Holy crap at mission 15. The game is really stating to pick up now.
Watching football and playing EDF :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Man, this game is intense on the higher difficulty levels. It is my first Earth Defence Force game. I was saying "shiiit" when i see all the enemies in some of the levels. Even if the graphics arent the most advanced, i'm still impressed over all the stuff going on at the same time. This game also made me want to try out Insect Armageddon on PS3. But i'll probably just wait for Earth Defence Force 4 instead.

Why isnt there any crosshair when controlling the vehicles by the way? Using the tank, it is pretty much just a guess where you're going to hit. And controlling the helicopter seems near impossible. I also wouldnt mind if there was a health bar for the bigger bosses. But overall i'm happy with this game :)

CLEEK

Why isnt there any crosshair when controlling the vehicles by the way? Using the tank, it is pretty much just a guess where you're going to hit. And controlling the helicopter seems near impossible. I also wouldnt mind if there was a health bar for the bigger bosses. But overall i'm happy with this game :)

The vehicles are so retarded in 2017. The Mech can be useful, apart from having a turning speed that's slower than continental drift. On Hard and above, I have never managed to take of in the helicopter, as the rotors are still spinning up when it gets overrun and destroyed by insects.

My dream for EDF4 would be to have the mechs and player manoeuvrability from something like Lost Planet. Having jump and roll on separate buttons would be nice too.

klee123

Finally unlocked some more Lvl 70+ weapons and now I can finally tackle the inferno monsters a bit better now.

Just need to work on my armor rating. Some people I've met online have like over 4000HP!

CLEEK

Are you unlocking the better weapons online? I play this offline on my daily commute. I've found a fairly risk free way to play Inferno is on the level with the two Godzilla style monsters. It's a pain though, as each one *might* drop a single weapon pick-up. But you rarely have enough time to collect the drop from the second one, so farming for better weapons has been so slow.

I've played that level on Inferno about 10 times, and kept getting the same shitty special weapons. I want a bad-ass Assault Rifle or Rocket Launcher.

SmithnCo

Are you unlocking the better weapons online? I play this offline on my daily commute. I've found a fairly risk free way to play Inferno is on the level with the two Godzilla style monsters. It's a pain though, as each one *might* drop a single weapon pick-up. But you rarely have enough time to collect the drop from the second one, so farming for better weapons has been so slow.

I've played that level on Inferno about 10 times, and kept getting the same shitty special weapons. I want a bad-ass Assault Rifle or Rocket Launcher.

I've unlocked some good 70+ weapons from that, but it is hit and miss. If the first monster doesn't drop a weapon you pretty much have to restart.

I like farming one of the levels in the 40s, with a bunch of spiders in a cave. You can usually get into a tunnel and shoot the spiders as they approach so it isn't too dangerous.

Shiv47

As far as grinding, I eventually found myself forced to start during the second half of Hardest; I selected level 47 or 48 (the one with the drop ships that appear after you kill everything that swarms you in the first half. Like someone said, you park underneath the last ship, train your rifle in the path of the falling ants, and collect drops. I'd catch up on podcasts while I did it. Usually took 90-120 minutes to get a decent chunk of health. I chose that particular mission because it already had a shit ton of drops before you even start farming the ship. And it should be said, pick up every drop, so you get the most out of every level you play, even if you need to shoot all your AI teammates to keep them from killing the last bug on a level.

CLEEK

I like farming one of the levels in the 40s, with a bunch of spiders in a cave. You can usually get into a tunnel and shoot the spiders as they approach so it isn't too dangerous.

I remember doing that on the 360, using the Splash Grenade α (the crazy timed one that does 1,000 damage per grenade). Just standing at the top and firing endless grenades to bounce around. It took ages to kill the spiders, but the only risk was one of your grenades bouncing back up and killing you.

OmegaZero

What missions do you guys use to farm weapons for Storm on Inferno? I still have yet to get a good assault rifle or turret despite farming some of the earlier tunnel missions.

Noi

What missions do you guys use to farm weapons for Storm on Inferno? I still have yet to get a good assault rifle or turret despite farming some of the earlier tunnel missions.

I was just farming on Descent 3 with a few peeps online. It takes a bit of effort, but you can setup a good choke point to get those damn spiders as they come. I've managed to nab most of Storm's high level weapons that way.

Shiv47

I was just farming on Descent 3 with a few peeps online. It takes a bit of effort, but you can setup a good choke point to get those damn spiders as they come. I've managed to nab most of Storm's high level weapons that way.

Did this one quite a bit trying to get the Lysander Z. I'd take rifle and the best stingray I had. Immediately fire the rockets into the main cavern and then turn around and head down the left passageway. Hang a left and then shoot everything as it comes. Not difficult to solo on Inferno once you get used to it.

SmithnCo

Did this one quite a bit trying to get the Lysander Z. I'd take rifle and the best stingray I had. Immediately fire the rockets into the main cavern and then turn around and head down the left passageway. Hang a left and then shoot everything as it comes. Not difficult to solo on Inferno once you get used to it.

That's exactly what I do. With a decent rocket launcher it's quite easy even on solo inferno.

klee123

I can currently solo level 52 in Inferno using Palewing. It's a great level for weapon drops.

What you need to do is find the tunnel and hide in there. When ants try to come in just blast them away.

Noi

How many weapons do Storm 1 and Pale Wing have?

I'm sitting at 204 for Storm 1 and 104 for Pale Wing right now. Pretty sure I can double Pale Wing's number.

Edit: Got the 75% Weapons Collected trophy when I hit 107 with Pale Wing. That should say enough.

B.K.

I need to find another good level to farm weapons. I had been using 2 and 8, but I've stopped getting new drops.

Mondriaan

She's so fly- Palewing is my waifu!

The Monster sniper is hilarious - especially the description :)
What's the best weapons for robots? They seem to be more resistant to lighting weapons.
I've had more success with long range (sniper) lasers than any other weapon. If your laser can't destroy a single robot before you deplete your energy source, it's not going to work, though.

I like using a Laser Chainsaw/Battle Ram combo on hectors with Pale wing. A bit dangerous but oh so satisfying to blast him with a 2,000 dmg Battle Ram shot at close range and quickly switch to the Laser Chainsaw to hold him at bay while the Battle Ram recharges and then repeat until dead. Maybe not the most practical for Inferno but it has served me well thus far.

Noi

I'm slowly becoming convinced that solo'ing maps on harder difficulties is easier than playing online. People can be either really stupid or the extra multipliers on enemy health make it so not worth it sometimes.

Noi

Has anyone solo'd all the Storm Inferno missions? Wondering how doable it is and what weapons would be best.

I'm a good ways into it. The weapon loadout varies between missions, but I always swap between:

Lv64 AF99 A. Rifle
Lv70 Lysander F Sniper Rifle
Lv62 Stingray M99 Rocket Launcher
Lv71 Stampede MX Grenade Launcher
Lv72 ZEX Launcher Auto-Gun

The launcher in particular is great for when you get mobbed, since you can quickly deploy one and just shake tons of enemies off you at once.

SmithnCo

I'm a good ways into it. The weapon loadout varies between missions, but I always swap between:

Lv64 AF99 A. Rifle
Lv70 Lysander F Sniper Rifle
Lv62 Stingray M99 Rocket Launcher
Lv71 Stampede MX Grenade Launcher
Lv72 ZEX Launcher Auto-Gun

The launcher in particular is great for when you get mobbed, since you can quickly deploy one and just shake tons of enemies off you at once.

Nice, I think I have all except the AF99.

Noi

Nice, I think I have all except the AF99.

There's an AF100, but the damn thing refuses to drop. I'm taking a break from Hardest/Inferno Storm to start knocking out the Pale Wing missions though. I've only done all her Easy missions despite being able to easilly farm Mission 47 on Inferno...

Shiv47

Has anyone solo'd all the Storm Inferno missions? Wondering how doable it is and what weapons would be best.

On the 360 version, I solo'ed all but maybe four or five? It's very difficult, but not impossible. You just need proper planning and a bit of luck. By that point, there's only a small handful of weapons you'll be using with any regularity, at least in my experience.

crinale

I'm slowly becoming convinced that solo'ing maps on harder difficulties is easier than playing online. People can be either really stupid or the extra multipliers on enemy health make it so not worth it sometimes.

I have to agree with you on that. The point of 4-player co-op is more focused on how much you can cooperate with your mates, rather than make the game easier.

Some of the late-weapons (Palewing's lance weapons especially) are quite a overkill to even soloing inferno difficulty, so I'm sure they are intended to be used at 4-player co-op. Same goes to Storm 1's shielding device, that benefits more from having multiple players. So, Sandlot did some tweaks to Vita version to make sure 4-player co-op is enjoyable.

Noi

Speaking of weapons, does a weapon list exist for the game? I'd rather not try to farm weapons with a character that I already have everything for.

Wow, this game is really rocketing up my Near chart. It's now at the top with 72 people playing. Too bad Sandlot didn't add any Near goods to the game - a "Get an extra weapon after your next mission" gift would have been great.

test_account

XP-39C²
The vehicles are so retarded in 2017. The Mech can be useful, apart from having a turning speed that's slower than continental drift. On Hard and above, I have never managed to take of in the helicopter, as the rotors are still spinning up when it gets overrun and destroyed by insects.

My dream for EDF4 would be to have the mechs and player manoeuvrability from something like Lost Planet. Having jump and roll on separate buttons would be nice too.
Hehe yeah, when i used the mech for the first time, i was surprised of the slow turning speed. But they are indeed the most useful vehicle in the game. The tank can also be useful in some missions, and the bike can be nice to have to move really quickly from one place to another (especially if there is one bug left on the other side of the map). It is fun to fly the helicopter all the way up and then exit it though hehe.

EDIT: This is probably one of the most time consuming game to get the platinum trophy in. You have to beat the game 10 times to be able to get it. Then there is also all the grinding on top of that, unless you're lucky to get all the weapons when beating the game 10 times. Personally i've played the games for over 20 hours, and i've only beaten the game twice so far. I've done some hours of grinding online though.

Noi

My woes with the vehicles were fixed the moment I started using the Limit Breaker tool to upgrade them. They suddenly turn almost TOO easy to control then. I crash the helicopter all the time cause I'm used to it moving slowly.
KuGsj.gif

Noi

Oh, there is a weapon/tool to change the vehicles? I didnt know that.

It's called Limit Booster, not breaker. It upgrades vehicles by a set % for X time (with my highest level one being 60% for 120 seconds). It makes the Vegalta move and turn hilariously fast, haha. I don't use them in harder difficulties cause I'd rather have a second weapon, but they're invaluable if you're gonna farm kills for vehicles.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's called Limit Booster, not breaker. It upgrades vehicles by a set % for X time (with my highest level one being 60% for 120 seconds). It makes the Vegalta move and turn hilariously fast, haha. I don't use them in harder difficulties cause I'd rather have a second weapon, but they're invaluable if you're gonna farm kills for vehicles.
Cool :) I've hardly checked out any of the tools or special weapons in the game. I've mostly just used the standard weapons (assualt rifles, shotguns, rocket launchers etc.).

KDR_11k

May also be useful with the fact that vehicles scale to the difficulty level so you could super-boost a vehicle on a difficulty that's otherwise out of your league.

Top Bottom