• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2025 |OT| "I heard this game had a lot of bugs."

batbeg

Sucks there's no ps3 splitscreen online (unless it's been added) but I probably wouldn't make much use of the online regardless.

killatopak

Gold Member
Can someone sell me on EDF 2017 Portable? I haven't played an EDF game and was planning to buy EDF 2025 but then I saw the PSN sale of 2017 for $10.

culafia

I'm itching for this game hard, boys and girls.

Any word on when reviews are coming out? I'm hearing copies haven't even been sent out yet.

Can someone sell me on EDF 2017 Portable? I haven't played an EDF game and was planning to buy EDF 2025 but then I saw the PSN sale of 2017 for $10.

It's pure, dumb fun that is a great single player game and an AMAZING Party game on Vita. I dropped 32 hours and I know people who dropped like 100-250

killatopak

Gold Member
I'm itching for this game hard, boys and girls.

Any word on when reviews are coming out? I'm hearing copies haven't even been sent out yet.

It's pure, dumb fun that is a great single player game and an AMAZING Party game on Vita. I dropped 32 hours and I know people who dropped like 100-250

Bought.

So wait, the PS3 version does or does not have local co-op? I sold my 360, so that's not an option for me any more, and the only MP I'm interested in is local.

Next two months are really busy, but I'll fit this in somewhere.

ys45

I'd rather see a sequel for this Earth Defense Force...

edf.png

Each time I see this game it reminds me of this E.D.F on SNES, was a great shooter (still got it and play it)
But I seriously, can't wait for this game, it's pure fun destroying the buildings and killing bugs .

Are we going to have a list of players so we can play online with some fellow Gaffers ?

Shiv47

So wait, the PS3 version does or does not have local co-op? I sold my 360, so that's not an option for me any more, and the only MP I'm interested in is local.

Next two months are really busy, but I'll fit this in somewhere.

PS3 has local co-op, yes. Played plenty of it with a friend and my kids. Not sure what all the talk about it not being there is about.

I'm curious if the English version will include the EDF battle song that the troops sing in the Japanese version. It sounds like it's set to "The Battle Hymn of the Republic," and is pretty hilarious to hear when you're running along to fight bugs.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
To those that have played the Japanese version, does 2025 have subterranean stages? I was disappointed that there weren't any in IA.

Shiv47

To those that have played the Japanese version, does 2025 have subterranean stages? I was disappointed that there weren't any in IA.

Yes, but they're not as crazy as 2017's unless I'm totally forgetting something.

"EDF 2025 employs both an armor level and a ‘weapon level’ stat on every weapon that is used to gate players from using weaponry that is too advanced/powerful for a given mission. Players who attempt to enter a mission with an armor and/or weapon level that exceeds the limit will be required to lower their armor level and change their weapon loadout to play."

That actually sounds like a lame mechanic :(

Krakn3Dfx

By the way, EDF 2017 for the Vita is now 10 dollars on PSN.

Want to buy it but should I wait for a PS+ discount somewhere down the line?

Oh damn, that's a great deal. Still have my 360 copy, but unfortunately no 360 to play it on. Vita copy for $10 bought!

Daigoro

ok, finally re-preordered. going with Amazon so i dont have to bother going to gamestop on release day.

360 version, gt: Daigoro.

lets kill some bugs!

"EDF 2025 employs both an armor level and a ‘weapon level’ stat on every weapon that is used to gate players from using weaponry that is too advanced/powerful for a given mission. Players who attempt to enter a mission with an armor and/or weapon level that exceeds the limit will be required to lower their armor level and change their weapon loadout to play."

hopefully the ability to use any weapon anytime unlocks at some point like in the Vita version of 2017.

it has a purpose though. blasting through levels with overpowered weapons would make things boring quick. gotta have some grind at least.

Yeah...why the hell did they add that?

I imagine saves are region locked? I imported the Japanese version a while back but it won't hurt to start over now that more friends will be playing. Is the 360 version still considerably better than the patched PS3 version?

Does anybody know how this compares to Insect Armageddon? From what I can remember playing IA a few years ago is that at core it was a pretty good game, but overall suffered from a serious lack of content and levels. Is 2025 much better in this regard?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Does anybody know how this compares to Insect Armageddon? From what I can remember playing IA a few years ago is that at core it was a pretty good game, but overall suffered from a serious lack of content and levels. Is 2025 much better in this regard?

700 weapons, 80+ missions (plus something like 43 MORE missions via DLC).

J3ffro

Any idea if you can play split-screen co-op and online at the same time? As in my buddy plays at his house with his roommate, and I play with them via PSN?

KDR_11k

hopefully the ability to use any weapon anytime unlocks at some point like in the Vita version of 2017.

Was that even in SP? I don't remember ever seeing a level lock, I always assumed it's just so you can create an open MP room without having a bunch of Inferno gear people drop in and basically one-shot the entire map.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Very Nice OT ya got here! :)

Well, I purchased EDF 2017 AGAIN on Vita since it's on Sale for $10... Preparing for the REAL experience with Split screen Co-OP next week! Feels good to be Playing EDF again, even though I actually do miss some of the structure that IA introduced; With all the stages the game offers, being able to get a few "shooting gallery" air missions and long underpasses directly under the street were a few nice additions. And I actually like the missions that started off with Mecha-battles in that game, come to think of it...

People always think Online Play = What I do offline, but with online buds, but in reality, the fact that you go from playing with local friends, to anyone you might bump into online, generally brings rule changes. Not to mention the increase in players, weapon variety types, and the very existence of online latency issues. A lot of this is probably based off knowledge earned from how players treated online with IA and 3017 Vita.

I wouldn't mind the limiter disappearing on higher difficulties / missions, however. It'd be kind of nice to give additional reasons to visit specific stages, beyond "This one has a lot of Red ants!" and "This one doesn't have those ANNOYING RED SHIPS!"

You can have simultaneous splitscreen and online, but only on the 360 version.

Oo, didn't know they had split + Online on 360. Pretty nice. Last game I did that with was Awesomenauts... Loved it on Monday Night Combat.

Huh??!! How did I miss this!?
Excellent OT, reads like an EDF soldier handbook! I just now considered the plausibility of posing as a female in order to make it into the Wing Diver corps, but realized why would I want to risk flying straight into a dragons mouth in real life when I can just play as one in a vidya game?

That said, I'm starting with the air raider, i need gring until I get missle turrets to hook up to my mecha and walk around killing everying that comes close. I'll be on PS3.

EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!

Tapejara

I finally got the joke in the title. Fuck, I'm dumb.

Wish I was getting this at launch. Is the PS3 performance as bad as I've been hearing?

Edit: Wait, splitscreen online is only available on the 360 version? Damn. Hope when the next-gen EDF finally drops we'll get feature parity :(.

I finally got the joke in the title. Fuck, I'm dumb.

Wish I was getting this at launch. Is the PS3 performance as bad as I've been hearing?

Edit: Wait, splitscreen online is only available on the 360 version? Damn. Hope when the next-gen EDF finally drops we'll get feature parity :(.
Not that I'd use it, but its definitely something I hope is either added to the US version, or a staple in next gen additions.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hope you like getting knocked around and driven insane by the horrible ragdoll physics implemented. :D

Asides from that its an EDF game just with a bit more limited hardware due kit being spread out between multiple classes.

Hope you like getting knocked around and driven insane by the horrible ragdoll physics implemented. :D

Asides from that its an EDF game just with a bit more limited hardware due kit being spread out between multiple classes.
I actually like that choice, it gives a reason for multiple playthroughs, the air raider not being able to handle certain heavy weapons, and the trooper not hacving the technical know how to mess with turrets makes sense, and of courase the wingdivers energy weapions. Its creating a deeper lore I think.

KDR_11k

Also forces more of that delicious improvisation. I like having to deal with sub-optimal weapons and making them work somehow. The awkwardness of Pale Wing's ranged options was always a fun factor to deal with.

Also forces more of that delicious improvisation. I like having to deal with sub-optimal weapons and making them work somehow. The awkwardness of Pale Wing's ranged options was always a fun factor to deal with.

ha ha exactly, for example she has a weapon that shoots a spread of like 20 energy shots horizontally..eats up battery and travels faaaar..so beautiful, the limitation of her battery pack powering both her shots and her flight ability makes using it a tactical game in and of itself!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Once in 2017, I got smashed so hard under a dying Hector (I think it was) that my Storm 1 was crushed THROUGH THE FLOOR. He started to fall infiniately...

"OH NO! I'VE FALLEN THOURHG THE WORLD, and CAN'T... !?!?!"

Somehow, he fell so far, that he actually fell BACK into the world FROM THE SKY, right where he was crushed from. I kinda just stood there for a moment, and my brother and I just laughed.

If only those were the days of "Xbox, Record that!"

The Ragdoll example up there just brings back similar memories. As long as getting thrown cross country is an exception, and not a rule, I think I'll enjoy insane-o-ragdoll every once in a while. Exactly the kind of campy Jankiness I love.

Top Bottom