• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 6 |OT| Not afraid of water

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
(thread theme)

capsule_616x353.jpg

Release date: August 25, 2022 (Japan), July 25, 2024 (Worldwide)
Platform(s): PS4, PS5, PC (Steam).
Genre: Third-person action, shooting, driving, monster-killing, earth-defending.
Multiplayer: Lobbies of up to 4-players for co-op. Also, split-screen co-op too!

Disclaimer: right now, Steam version requires an Epic account to access the multiplayer features of the game. ⚠️

The EDF deploys!

ss_0d502c3a5fc5ffc71f4a841be01df904c2328f3c.1920x1080.jpg

2022 AD. The sequel to "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 5" depicts the battle between the EDF and alien life forms that have suddenly attacked the Earth. Players take on the role of an EDF soldier in this third-person shooter in which they must destroy a large number of giant enemies.

The largest volume in the history of the series. Supports online co-op play as well as split-screen.
The largest number of missions and weapons ever included. All missions support online co-op play for up to four players. Take control of four different soldier classes and fight alongside real EDF members from across the country.

In EDF, you will kill hordes of monsters, get loot like new weapons, accessories and vehicles, clear more than a hundred missions (doable solo or in co-op) and, once you've done it all, you'll do it again on the next difficulty level, which keeps giving you better loot than before while also presenting new twists and surprises on the missions you thought you had mastered. More than a hundred hours of playtime are expected, and maybe even a thousand if you mean to 100% it! Talk about a bang for your buck.

Also, the multiplayer is GREAT. Thanks to the many pre-recorded voice lines you can easily communicate with your teammates, no matter where they are from. But it's not just messages, you can also emote, dance and even sing the EDF anthem with your fellow EDF teammates!

Story. It has one, and it's kino!

Earth-Defense-6-2.jpg

The year is 2024 AD. Mankind has won the long battle against the unknown invaders. The enemy Primers are now gone and peace has returned to Mother Earth. However, the population has shrunk to 10% and the world was on the verge of collapse. The survivors fought against the remaining threats while trying their best to continue their recovery. Three years passed in the year 2027. In a new world without hope, the time has come to once again resist the fate of the Earth.

Save the future of Earth in the new world.
The identity of the invader that has long tormented Earth is finally revealed. A chain of deep despair that strikes in a devastated world for the first time in the series...But your presence as a soldier of the EDF will lead humanity to the greatest joy. Now you must face it with courage and wisdom.

While EDF has a goofy feel to it at times thanks to it's writting and cheap voice-acting, you should also expect dark stuff and some twists along the way. You never know what'll happen in the next mission!

Monsters... they look JUST like us! (not really)

earth-defense-force-6-llega-a-occidente-el-25-de-julio-cover663216177e505.jpg

Fight against hordes of monsters that go from ants, to spiders, frog people (they are NOT humans!) and many more! (also some VERY big ones)

The campaing will keep you on your toes, since even if it's more than 100 missions long, it never ceases to scalate and keeps introducing new and mightier foes.

Game feels great thanks to how the monster react to your attacks. They squirm, ragdoll all over the place, lose body parts and break into pieces when you shoot them with enough force.
Don't let the graphics fool you, this game feels very good to play!

Choose your favorite flavor of monster-killing.

61B3qRGwPBL.jpg

With 4 different classes to choose from, you can fight against the invaders in the way that you find most fun!

Ranger: The "basic grunt" class. Uses ballistic weapons like assault rifles, sniper rifles, shotguns, bazookas, anti-air missiles and the like while also being able to pilot vehicles. The best class for newcomers! Perfect to learn the ropes of the game.
Fencer: The tankiest class, wearing an exoskeleton which also happens to have great mobility thanks to it's thrusters that allow the Fencer to dash all over the place. Able to dualwield heavy weapons like LMGs while also being able to use melee weapons and even shields.
Wing Diver: Soar the skies while using laser and energy weapons and grenades to kill all the monsters! Be careful, you'll need to manage your energy wisely or you'll find yourself in dire straits. Nimble, but also frail.
Air Rider: The support class. Request vehicles that go from tanks to helicopters and even mechas, buff and heal yourself and your teammates as well as requesting air support in the form if air strikes, satellite beams and BIG missles, among many others. Be careful of the collateral damages!

The rest of the OT! Gifs! Trailers!

edf6_battle_01.gif

(graphic wise it might be average, but imo it's compensated with all the mayhem and chaos. Everything is destructible because, collateral damage is advised)

rg7rwiknhigmpquqrtyn.gif

(this one's from EDF5, but you get the idea. The explosions are nice, but pay attention to that minimap on the top-right corner to get an idea of how populated the battles in this game are)

My first OT ever, please be gentle and also please let me know if I left something important out or messed something up.

EDF!

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Squad chatter is better than ever, lmao at the guy who keeps talking about how we should eat the aliens.

Anyway this series has big nostalgia value for me, started with EDF 2017 back on the 360 and played each entry since including the oddball offbrand ones. Played a lot of splitscreen with my son as he grew up.

Only up to mission 6 but this is bigtime comfort food gaming for me and Im sure I will put a ridiculous amount of hours into it.

And great OT it is much appreciated!

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Can you pick gender for the classes ?

Serious question , never played this series but I'm highly interested

GymWolf

Gold Member
Similar to older MH+ Dynasty Warrior, albeit with lot of enemies, guns and wehicles, and retro alien invasion humor storyline. Pretty much fun, i was non believer back then, until i tried 4th game
So a musou with aliens?

Not really a fan of musou games tbh.

IAmRei

So a musou with aliens?

With 50s-70s scifi flicks alien, purposefully cheese. And that the good part, the game is hillarious but very fun at the same time. And also im not fan of musou either. The game itself tends to the fun side. The boss battle is almost the largest in video game history, and not once, but many times. Imagine like you are just one guy vs godzilla (there is also godzilla here)

Its like helldiver + mh + musou in steroid.

I was sceptical at first, but yeah, my friend tried it, and i suprisingly interested, then started to love it.

Not all people cup of tea, i understand

GymWolf

Gold Member
With 50s-70s scifi flicks alien, purposefully cheese. And that the good part, the game is hillarious but very fun at the same time. And also im not fan of musou either. The game itself tends to the fun side. The boss battle is almost the largest in video game history, and not once, but many times. Imagine like you are just one guy vs godzilla (there is also godzilla here)

Its like helldiver + mh + musou in steroid.

I was sceptical at first, but yeah, my friend tried it, and i suprisingly interested, then started to love it.

Not all people cup of tea, i understand
It just looks way too arcadey for me, the shooting looks kinda weightless, maybe it's just the trailer.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Doesn't it make more sense to buy part 5 or so? They already look more than similar graphically. I played one part on the xbox 360 ages ago and it was a lot of fun. But after that I had no more contact with the series.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
lPVVRg8.png

Off to a nice start, it already has more players than EDF5 ever had.

It just looks way too arcadey for me, the shooting looks kinda weightless, maybe it's just the trailer.
Depends on what you mean with arcadey. There's a lot of action sure, but it's not mindless at all. Bring the wrong loadout to a mission and you'll realize the game has more tactic and preparation that it seems at first.

It kinda reminds me of DOOM in that sense, in how the game can throw you different challenges just by sending different enemy types together.

And imo the shooting feels great! Good sound and feedback. Nothing like sending an ant flying 500 meters aways with a single shotgun shot.

Doesn't it make more sense to buy part 5 or so? They already look more than similar graphically. I played one part on the xbox 360 ages ago and it was a lot of fun. But after that I had no more contact with the series.
Yeah maybe! 5 should be very cheap on key sites and sales. It's also a prequel to 6 story wise while also being a reboot, so it might be a better entry point than 6.

That said, 6 should have more QOL features and much healthier multiplayer community.

The PC version seems to need a epic store login even though you play on steam

Ay lmao, what a fuck up. I don't care since I already have an EGS account, but I can see many being turn off by this.

TintoConCasera

What the hell

Seems the "never preorder" adage still rings true

And I was so psyched.

maybe I can create a login with a throwaway...
It's not just the account, the game seems to launch through the EGS client. :goog_relieved:

Fucking Tim, I knew he was an alien all along.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
lPVVRg8.png

Off to a nice start, it already has more players than EDF5 ever had.

Depends on what you mean with arcadey. There's a lot of action sure, but it's not mindless at all. Bring the wrong loadout to a mission and you'll realize the game has more tactic and preparation that it seems at first.

It kinda reminds me of DOOM in that sense, in how the game can throw you different challenges just by sending different enemy types together.

And imo the shooting feels great! Good sound and feedback. Nothing like sending an ant flying 500 meters aways with a single shotgun shot.

Yeah maybe! 5 should be very cheap on key sites and sales. It's also a prequel to 6 story wise while also being a reboot, so it might be a better entry point than 6.

That said, 6 should have more QOL features and much healthier multiplayer community.

Ay lmao, what a fuck up. I don't care since I already have an EGS account, but I can see many being turn off by this.
I wish there was a demo available.

TintoConCasera

I wish there was a demo available.
Yeah this game could really use a demo. I got into 5 because it was dirt cheap and was very surprised at how fun the game is.

Well that's fucking fantastic, I was so hyped but I'm not going through that. Refunded.
Understandable. Game's being review bombed because of it, hopefully the devs find a better solution and patch it in.

I've never created an EGS account because I don't like Epic's way of doing things at all. And even then I'm wavering on cancelling the refund. That's how hyped I was. Ngl, this just ruined my week :(

TintoConCasera

Not having to hold down the button to run is a nice addition. That and the subtitles, great for an ESL like me. :lollipop_tongue:

They also made the over-the-shoulder camera the default for some reason, but you can change it to be like in EDF5 from the menu.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So a musou with aliens?

Not really... it's musou in the way you fight Mongolian hordes of brain dead AI that for the most part useless with the odd actual threat sprinkled in...

However it's completely different with how you engage with them.

There's multiple classes, from grunt trooper to a flying wingdiver to essentially War Machine mech suit and finally "support" (air raider) everyone wants to play support because "support" gets to call in all the good shit. Like airstrikes, mechs, tanks, nukes etc.

TintoConCasera

Something related to crossplay, allegedly.

Imo, they either got bribed or maybe it's just sheer incompetency.

It so sad. They could have had a hit given all the recent popularity of Helldivers 2, but they had to fuck up the PC release.

I've read you only need the EGS account to play online, is that true? Because I was thinking on playing solo
I think it asks for your account when going multiplayer, but when lauching the game I saw the EGS client update some shit so that might be required.

You could try it, should be able to refund unless you play for more than 2 hours.

I was somehow apprehensive on pre-ordering. Maybe because the game seemed so similar to previous entries. Woke up to see overwhelmingly negative reviews on Steam. Seems like I dodged a bullet. Real shame though, I hope they patch the game to not require Epic.

TintoConCasera

Game doesn't fuck around, stage 4 already throwing an ant queen at you. Barely survived, perhaps starting in Hard isn't the best idea on this one.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do you have some sort of metaprogression for the classes? Do i get my endorphine dose from unlocking new weapons and skills and shit between missions?

Or it's the type of game where you just get ingame temporary powerup and you have to start over from zero every mission?

TintoConCasera

Do you have some sort of metaprogression for the classes? Do i get my endorphine dose from unlocking new weapons and skills and shit between missions?

Or it's the type of game where you just get ingame temporary powerup and you have to start over from zero every mission?
You are constantly getting armor (health) and weapon upgrades. Think EDF5 had more than 1000 weapons (including accesories and vehicles), and this one should have more.

Oh and it's not just about getting new weapons and shit, but you can also level those up.

Isn't this basically just a low budget Helldivers 2 at this point?
Nah. It's a full game with a proper campaign with more than 100 handmade missions, no random stuff here.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You are constantly getting armor (health) and weapon upgrades. Think EDF5 had more than 1000 weapons (including accesories and vehicles), and this one should have more.

Oh and it's not just about getting new weapons and shit, but you can also level those up.ons

Nah. It's a full game with a proper campaign with more than 100 handmade missions, no random stuff here.
Between missions that you can keep or just ingame and then you lose everything?

Do you get like skills and abilities (like faster traversal and shit) or just armours and weapons?

How progression in handled is usually what make or break a game like this for me.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Between missions that you can keep or just ingame and then you lose everything?
You grab green boxes dropped down by killed enemies and, once the mission is over, you receive weapons at random based on the stage you just played and the difficulty level, and yes you keep those weapons forever. You can upgrade those if you get a weapon you already have.

Enemies also drop red boxes that increase your health forever, but again only once the mission is over.

Game's sort of like Diablo. Kill, pick loot, beat game, replay on harder difficulty, keep getting new loot.

Cool thing is that harder difficulties don't just mean tougher enemies, but also new challenges like new enemy spawns during the mission or even new enemies.

Do you get like skills and abilities (like faster traversal and shit) or just armours and weapons?
Both! Some accessories give you buffs. There are many kinds of items.

How progression in handled is usually what make or break a game like this for me.
Imo, this game is cocaine in that regard. :goog_relieved:

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Do i get my endorphine dose from unlocking new weapons and skills and shit between missions?
Every enemy is a loot box with potentially that next great gun. Higher difficulty = better gun drops, so you keep pushing your limits.

Honestly this is a game where watching two minutes of ingame play on youtube or something will either sell you on the experience or not. You blast swarms of bugs, frogman aliens, robots, with a huge arsenal of weapons while leveling city blocks with a lofi cheeseball aesthetic. It's a simple game for simple men like myself.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Every enemy is a loot box with potentially that next great gun. Higher difficulty = better gun drops, so you keep pushing your limits.

Honestly this is a game where watching two minutes of ingame play on youtube or something will either sell you on the experience or not. You blast swarms of bugs, frogman aliens, robots, with a huge arsenal of weapons while leveling city blocks with a lofi cheeseball aesthetic. It's a simple game for simple men like myself.
I watched some more footage and i kinda wanna try it.

Top Bottom