• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Yeah 100% got it from the mouse.
When he calls is it a cutscene?
Nope. You just hear a ringing sound, then a dialogue box opens.

I don't know, if what I said doesn't work, maybe you already got the call and somehow sped through it? Try checking the southwest corner of Burglin Park and seeing if Apple Kid is there. If that doesn't work, then I have no idea.

I ran into Marcus Lindblom (the guy who wrote the English translation for Earthbound) at PAX, and holy hell he was the nicest guy ever. I walked up to him and said "I'd kick myself if I didn't come over here and shake your hand", and we ended up talking for like an hour and a half. He wanted to hear all of my experiences with the game, as well as asked me for advice on his future Kickstarters (I've run a couple of successful ones so far).

I can't wait to read his book about the history of his translation, it should be exciting! He also said he'd be on my podcast, so hopefully that works out.

I just got all the song stone parts and man, the difficulty in
Onett
is a really big jump. One surprise attack could lead to a party wipe before I can do anything.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I turned it on yesterday for the first time in forever.

Still stuck at the fucking pencil.

Someone here, weeks ago, told me I was to expect a phone call. Hasn't happened...so what do I need here?

Did you actually inspect the pencil statue? I'm pretty sure you have to inspect it before he'll call you.

Done! This took me way too long.

PoXPudu.jpg

I really liked the story and all, but this game has some issues. I don't think I'll be playing this again. I think get why people love it so much. Time to move on!

D-e-f-

Banned

PoXPudu.jpg

I really liked the story and all, but this game has some issues. I don't think I'll be playing this again. I think get why people love it so much. Time to move on!

Tell me you let the gamepad sit there for 100 out of the 125 hours.

Qurupeke

PoXPudu.jpg

Wait, how...? It took me 35 hours, if I remember right, and I explored everything and I even got many of the rare items.

I might have left the game on and gone to work or cooked dinner a few times, but it still took me forever, because of all the aimless running around and grinding I did. I finished with like a level 92 Ness. There were a lot of times when I just couldn't get far into an area without people getting killed, so I grinded some levels. There were also a lot times when they didn't really tell you where you had to go, like with the shyness book.

Exodist

Haha, yeah that is overboard, it's around a 25-30 hour game for new players and usually finished around level 70 or so if I remember correctly. I need to get this out again soon, been a while since I played.

Ondore

I think Apple Kid mentions returning it to the Onett library after beating Starman DX. Of course, that assumes you didn't Exit Mouse out of there after beating him.

Davey Cakes

I think Apple Kid mentions returning it to the Onett library after beating Starman DX. Of course, that assumes you didn't Exit Mouse out of there after beating him.
Yeah, I think it's hinted at twice before then, once by the Tendas and once by Apple Kid on the phone, and then he straight up tells you at Stonehenge Base.

If someone uses the Exit Mouse right after beating Starman DX, well, that would be an issue. But, it's not like the game doesn't try to tell you where to go.

More Brawl in the Family goodness
Why do people keep posting Brawl in the Family comics without the alt text? You do realize you're omitting a second punchline, right? (That being "
He's also available to take your picture at funerals, dentist's offices, and right after you wake up in the morning!
")

The Hermit

PoXPudu.jpg

what the fuck?? At first I though you beated it 39 times.

Jesus at that time the "OK" prompt should say "....OK?"

L Thammy

PoXPudu.jpg

I tried to talk to everyone, get everything short of the 1/125 items in this run. Pretty sure I posted over a hundred screenshots on Miiverse. I only took like 30 hours. How in the hell did you manage this?

This game. I'm so happy I finally got to play it.

Been listening to the soundtrack for the last week, and good gravy, so many amazing memories.

The best game I've ever experienced; it's like my perfect game! As a huge Nintendo fan and a fan of Suda51 and other quirky Japanese games, it feels like Earthbound is the missing link that combines the two. I'm fairly sure Deadly Premonition is hugely inspired by Earthbound.

The only fault I have with EB is that, it released in a year full of good games, that now feel worthless in comparison! I definitely didn't enjoy Pikmin 3 as much because of this game...

Tiktaalik

PoXPudu.jpg

lolwut.

I just finished the game. 28 hours. Granted I've played it once before, but still...

Tiktaalik

Really big difference this time finishing the game since when I first played it back in 95 on release. Back then I had never played a JRPG before, and I found the last part incredibly hard. I must have been really under levelled somehow. I recall it took me a few tries to even get to Giygas, let alone beat him, and I recall wondering if I had screwed myself and whether I'd even be able to beat the game, since I only had one Cup of Lifenoodles, limited PP and you're not able to exit the last dungeon once you get there.

This time I pretty much breezed through the dungeon and beat Giygas first try (though pretty much everyone died except Ness and Paula). I guess I'm much more of a JRPG expert now.

Hiccup

Banned
I just played and beat this game for the first time ever.

All characters are level 99.

Playtime: 53:45

I enjoyed the game tremendously; but Super Mario RPG still holds that special place for me.

I wish more turn based RPGs used Auto Fight. That is genius!!

steveovig

Not sure if this has been asked before or if it's a spoiler. I'm going for the Sword of Kings but can I ambush the Starmen and beat them and still get the sword or do I actually have to enter the battle screen to have a chance?

steveovig

zlCfzRIyPjQN8au9gb

Even if it was easy enough once I figured out how to dodge those robots, I still feel accomplished. Now, I have to figure out where the rest of the King crap is.

Davey Cakes

I got my Sword of Kings on an ambush.

It's nice that Starmen are easy to get surprise opening attacks on. You can really manipulate them.

steveovig

I got my Sword of Kings on an ambush.

It's nice that Starmen are easy to get surprise opening attacks on. You can really manipulate them.

Yea, they kinda just walk into it. It sucks when those robots get brought in but that barely happened. When I first went into that whole dungeon, I was afraid and using up all my PP and died at the Super Starman parts. However, the second time through I realized everyone wasn't that hard if you played your cards right. The Starmen seemed very easy after that first time dying. Hit them first and nail the fuel replenishing robots last.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Love this game so much. Been a while since I beat it on an emulator. Was the first purchase I made on my Wii U.

I forget, is there any penalty to dying? Like in Dragon Warrior, you lose half your money. Does anything happen in Earthbound when you die aside from respawning at the last place you slept?

rawktapus

Love this game so much. Been a while since I beat it on an emulator. Was the first purchase I made on my Wii U.

I forget, is there any penalty to dying? Like in Dragon Warrior, you lose half your money. Does anything happen in Earthbound when you die aside from respawning at the last place you slept?

I think you lose half your money on hand, but whatever you have in the bank is safe.

Just bought this, first game i've bought on my new Wii U. 10 minutes in and it's amazingly charming. Can't wait to rip into it further.

It also looks really good on my 50" Panasonic. Quite sharp & clear, not fuzzy. Pleasantly surprised.

Qurupeke

Just bought this, first game i've bought on my new Wii U. 10 minutes in and it's amazingly charming. Can't wait to rip into it further.

It also looks really good on my 50" Panasonic. Quite sharp & clear, not fuzzy. Pleasantly surprised.
You should play that on the gamepad. ;)

I've just reached the fourth town and I'm having real inventory problems, well I have been from even earlier, but how are people handling their limited inventories? I use cargo express, but all their storage is now full or something.

I have loads of broken machines, protractors, pills, bombs etc and there are loads of items I've had to leave around the map because I can't juggle any space. Is there anything I can't live without or is game breaking if you drop it? I really need to make some room!

I've just reached the fourth town and I'm having real inventory problems, well I have been from even earlier, but how are people handling their limited inventories? I use cargo express, but all their storage is now full or something.

I have loads of broken machines, protractors, pills, bombs etc and there are loads of items I've had to leave around the map because I can't juggle any space. Is there anything I can't live without or is game breaking if you drop it? I really need to make some room!

Rulers and protractors are useless, you can dump them. They only allow you to skip a turn during fight, I think. And don't most pills give you permanent stat boost? Why haven't you used them? Sudden Guts pill gives you an boost during a fight, but there's really no point of saving them for the endgame, just use them when there's a difficult fight...

Give all broken machines to Jeff, he should be able to fix them when he reaches certain level. And bombs can also be used during normal fights, they aren't that powerful, so there's little point of saving them.

Rulers and protractors are useless, you can dump them. They only allow you to skip a turn during fight, I think. And don't most pills give you permanent stat boost? Why haven't you used them? Sudden Guts pill gives you an boost during a fight, but there's really no point of saving them for the endgame, just use them when there's a difficult fight...

Give all broken machines to Jeff, he should be able to fix them when he reaches certain level. And bombs can also be used during normal fights, they aren't that powerful, so there's little point of saving them.
Okay, thanks. I'm kind of a hoarder in RPGs and literally haven't used any items other than munching on the odd croissant!

Tiktaalik

Okay, thanks. I'm kind of a hoarder in RPGs and literally haven't used any items other than munching on the odd croissant!

You will have dramatic problems in this game unless you change your ways. This is a no hoarding game. Use your healing items pretty much as soon as you can. You'll need to keep your inventory open for special quest items.

125 hours on the first playthrough?
One must have exhausted everything there is to possible do to get that.

It took me two playthroughs to put 100 hours into Tales of Xillia. And it has a lot more content.

D-e-f-

Banned
125 hours on the first playthrough?
One must have exhausted everything there is to possible do to get that.

It took me two playthroughs to put 100 hours into Tales of Xillia. And it has a lot more content.

He left the game idling while doing other stuff...

Ah, well that explains it then. Sorry for not reading close enough.

It was either that, or horrible luck trying to get Poo's Sword of Kings.
I generally give up on trying to get that.

Just completed the game for the first time.

Wow what an experience, by far one of the best RPGS i never got to play (damn europe :()

great ending and last boss battle, really surprised how good the music is too, (why cant more games have diverse music like this?)

Writing was really witty too, and for some reason im really looking forward to playing ness again in the new SSB game, heh.

Guess i should start on Mother 3 soon then.

I just started playing this for the first time over the past few days. I'm enjoying it.

Just got Paula out of jail in the cabin. I think I know where I gotta go next.

Natetan

Just completed the game for the first time.

Wow what an experience, by far one of the best RPGS i never got to play (damn europe :()

great ending and last boss battle, really surprised how good the music is too, (why cant more games have diverse music like this?)

Writing was really witty too, and for some reason im really looking forward to playing ness again in the new SSB game, heh.

Guess i should start on Mother 3 soon then.

Mother 3 really is great. Took quite awhile for the game to click with me and I was a staid earthbound fan for a long time. But now I think mother 3 is the better game if only just barely. I'm mostly talking about the game play and dialogue.

fatty

Quick question my son had while playing the game (I haven't played enough to answer him)

Only one he has alive in his party is Paula, the others are knocked out. How does he revive the others if he doesn't have enough money for the nurse and can't access the ATM since only NESS can do that?

Peagles

Quick question my son had while playing the game (I haven't played enough to answer him)

Only one he has alive in his party is Paula, the others are knocked out. How does he revive the others if he doesn't have enough money for the nurse and can't access the ATM since only NESS can do that?

That's a doozy. Has he tried with the ATM card in Paula's inventory?

PKrockin

Hmm, I can't say this has ever happened to me, since Ness is usually the last one to bite it. Worst case scenario he could always sell some stuff for the cash.

Peagles

Or, since he appears to have little money, he could just die (and lose half his held money) and when he comes back Ness will have 1HP and the rest will need reviving.

Or yeh maybe sell some junk in order to be able to revive Ness only, then he can access the ATM.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My friend has been playing this blind on Twitch for a few days. He's up to just before
Moonside
and will be continuing there on Sunday night about 11PM. If anyone's interested I have a link. Either way it's been awesome watching someone experience this for the first time. It keeps subverting his expectations and confusing the crap out of him.

Top Bottom