• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

TrueBlue

Finished the game today myself. Loved every minute of it, it doesn't feel like a game that's 20 years old. It's just so charming and fun!

I started the trilogy with mother 1 first, but is it okay to discuss that here? I'm almost finished it but to be honest the indication of where to go next is not very apparent... So yeah I guess naturally what you'd do is explore but with random battles happening every step it really demotes the desire to explore. I hope EB doesn't have random battles...

Edit: Nevermind lol, just be EB0 and popped in EB and I see its on touch for battles. Amazing. Glad to finally be playing this game. I have to say though that eb0 last boss was pretty amazing.

ulua

I started the trilogy with mother 1 first, but is it okay to discuss that here? I'm almost finished it but to be honest the indication of where to go next is not very apparent... So yeah I guess naturally what you'd do is explore but with random battles happening every step it really demotes the desire to explore. I hope EB doesn't have random battles...

Edit: Nevermind lol, just be EB0 and popped in EB and I see its on touch for battles. Amazing. Glad to finally be playing this game. I have to say though that eb0 last boss was pretty amazing.

good job for starting at the beginning, most people seem to go 2>3>1. EB0/Mother is the least-accessible of the series and definitely aged the worst (IMO). I honestly wasn't able to play through the game entirely until tomato released the mother1/2 GBA hack/translation, which added the easy ring & dropped the encounter rate.

hope you enjoy the rest of the series! 😊

Hey guys so I'm finally getting around to starting this series and I just need to know how complex does the text/dialog get in mother 1/earthbound zero? I'm currently studying japanese in japan, have been for about a year. I know the game doesn't use kanji which is great, but Im no good with slang yet and there are tons of verbs and nouns I'm sure I don't know as well as complex sentence structure.

I would like to be able to begin what I am sure will be one of my all time favorite series, and be able to supplement my studies as well. But if the end of the game has a boss giving a lecture on existentialism n shi* I would like to know now so I can just go ahead with the english version.

I'm just now getting to the graveyard, so not far in at all, and I've been doing alright. If the rest of the game is as basic as that I think I can manage.

Thanks in advance!

Amir0x

Banned
Hey guys I haven't participated much in this thread but neoGAF knows my ultimate Earthbound fandom. Hopefully my card is checked :D

Just wanted to say it has been a delight over the months to read impressions from all players (but especially new players) about how they're enjoying the game or not. It has been like vicariously reliving my now museum-encased memories about Earthbound and how important it was to my development as a game enthusiast (and, in some smaller ways, as an individual that has grown to have massive empathy).

I don't care if the impressions were good or bad here, because I was always learning something new about the way people think and approach it. Particularly because neoGAF is much older on average than I was when I first played Earthbound, it is illuminating to see how adults react to it for the first time since that clashes with how I reacted to it as a kid the 11 yo for the first time (I'm turning 30 years old on Monday). I'll never forget seeing that monolithic box and buying it because it just looked cool, having heard nothing about it, and then it slowly dawning on me just how amazing what I had stumbled upon was. Even at 11 I immediately realized something had changed within me. I can almost exactly say that was when I truly became a hardcore gamer. I had played games since I was a little kid, but never obsessively so. I played some old Phantasy Star and Final Fantasy and Star Tropics and Zelda and Mario (and Little Mermaid/Ducktales yo), but it wasn't like something that defined my likes.

After Earthbound, I knew this was what was going to be my primary hobby. Only reading books and watching movies/tv can give me a joy comparable as a hobbyist.

Anyway, thanks for the new experiences guys. What a lovely topic :D

PKrockin

Hey guys so I'm finally getting around to starting this series and I just need to know how complex does the text/dialog get in mother 1/earthbound zero? I'm currently studying japanese in japan, have been for about a year. I know the game doesn't use kanji which is great, but Im no good with slang yet and there are tons of verbs and nouns I'm sure I don't know as well as complex sentence structure.

I would like to be able to begin what I am sure will be one of my all time favorite series, and be able to supplement my studies as well. But if the end of the game has a boss giving a lecture on existentialism n shi* I would like to know now so I can just go ahead with the english version.

I'm just now getting to the graveyard, so not far in at all, and I've been doing alright. If the rest of the game is as basic as that I think I can manage.

Thanks in advance!
I don't recall the English version having any obscure vocabulary. There is an important character who is a gangster/ruffian type so there might be some slang in the Japanese version.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

-
KjAOaDf.gif
Happy Holidays to all! Hope you got cool games, and if not, hope you win cool games in a giveaway!
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627211.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Earthbound #2 -- MB-2768D05BFBE648AC - Taken by Heavy's Sandvich
Earthbound #3 -- MB-A2F4392CC89604C6 - Taken by Ultimate_Trainer
Earthbound -- MB-60A29DC8BA5A7AC9 - Taken by DoktorEvil

Caramello

Needed to purchase something to get another $7 Wii U Deluxe code so I bought Earthbound. I'll be sure to post my impressions here as I play.

Bought this game at launch on Wii U virtual console and finally beat it today. Such a great game, so funny and creative. So much personality. Loved it!

Just downloaded the Mother 3 English translation patch. Looking forward to starting that next!

Davey Cakes

Bought this game at launch on Wii U virtual console and finally beat it today. Such a great game, so funny and creative. So much personality. Loved it!

Just downloaded the Mother 3 English translation patch. Looking forward to starting that next!
You're in for a treat. Mother 3 is an exceptional game. Plenty of Mother fans hold it as their favorite.

I, personally, still hold EB at the top but it's tough competition. I just love the trilogy as a whole.

Tom_Cody

I bought this for Wii U virtual console the day it was released but I'm just getting around to playing it. I'm a few hours in and I'm have a great time!

Also, I'm just realizing for the first time how awesome Wii U virtual console is. Off-TV play + a headphone jack is great for older games that aren't hurt by the resolution of the game pad's screen.

Kangi

Also, I'm just realizing for the first time how awesome Wii U virtual console is. Off-TV play + a headphone jack is great for older games that aren't hurt by the resolution of the game pad's screen.

I spent more time than I'd like to admit curled up in my bed with a blanket over my head playing EB on the gamepad into the wee hours of the night and then some. Felt like being a kid again. The gamepad's not perfect, but in times like that it's very appreciated.

Thinking about it now, even though I first played this last year, it somehow feels like it's been a part of my life for longer. Guess it just has that kind of effect on you.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just started this game tonight. I'm a 80s kid, grew up on NES and SNES... never played this game.

So yeah my impressions of the first 30 minutes of this game. It is weird. In the very beginning where you go to that guy's shack, and go to his underground cave and encounter his gold statue. WEIRD. And the music in every party of the game is just... unsettling.

I think I will like this game. The battle system is kinda boring though, it's tough to go to this after playing Mother 3 (I only played a couple hours of it) and its more engaging than this.

teneleven

With the help of a friend, I'm selling my copy of the rare, never released Earthbound art gallery book that Starmen.net unfortunately wasn't able to publish.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EarthBound-Anthology-Extremely-Rare-Artbook-with-2-Bonus-Discs-/161593868047

It's an amazing book, but I feel like it would be better served in the hands of a bigger Earthbound fan than myself. It's starting off at a very reasonable price, too.

For some information on the book, check out starmen.net's bittersweet write-up:

http://anthology.starmen.net/

Thanks!

Peagles

With the help of a friend, I'm selling my copy of the rare, never released Earthbound art gallery book that Starmen.net unfortunately wasn't able to publish.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EarthBound-Anthology-Extremely-Rare-Artbook-with-2-Bonus-Discs-/161593868047

It's an amazing book, but I feel like it would be better served in the hands of a bigger Earthbound fan than myself. It's starting off at a very reasonable price, too.

For some information on the book, check out starmen.net's bittersweet write-up:

http://anthology.starmen.net/

Thanks!

*Tries to bid*

"Does not ship to New Zealand"

:(

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Cool, just made it to the second town! This game is starting to grow on me. I can't wait for mroe party members and for the combat system to develop a little more.

FSLink

Banned
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2319/
Uncensoring + Mother 2 Gas & Title Screens + Credits Sequence Hack

This is an Earthbound hack which takes as ultimate goal to make it as close to Mother 2 as possible, taking care of most of the uncensoring that NOA made during the localization of Mother 2, including even the Gas and Title Screen modified to match that of Mother 2, and also a modified Credits sequence.

Mainly, create the best experience possible of Mother 2/Earthbound, combining an uncensored version of Earthbound made from scratch (graphical and text-wise), and also adequate a Mother 2 title screen and references, this ROM will no longer be named EarthBound, but rather a proper Mother 2 american version of the game, like it was supposed to be and leaving the main game intact (without modifying any core-gameplay mechanics).

The changelog and modifications done to this hack is QUITE extensive, so head over this site to read in full details what has been changed and also instructions on how to apply the patch properly:

http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Comm...rnalBound-Uncensoring-Other-junk-hack/page/1/
This is really cool. Most uncensoring patches just try to be edgy but this patch doesn't do anything like add unnecessary cursing and such. Seems like a nice set of changes.

There's also a separate patch that adds a Run Button (acts like you ate a Skip Sandwich when you hold down Y)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
My last three days have been essentially Earthbound. I now know why it has such a cult following. Many others have beautifully written why so I will not attempt to.

Only complaint really is there can be some difficulty spikes, the worst so far being where I am now: Fourside Department Store. If I have to fight three enemies I'm finished.

Peco

Started this a couple of weeks ago for the first time in my life.

It's too much for my senses.

Truly a glorious game.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I must suck at this game: it's taken me over 50 hours to pass the Sea of Eden. I've died quite a bit, have done no grinding and try to use guides/wiki only when I get stuck, forget something or don't want to do something over (using Spy). My Ness is over level 80.

It's funny how wrong I got the battle system when I was younger. I used to rely on Ness' PK Rocking and Poo's Starstorm for most of my attacks. Turns out Paula is the true offensive beast and Jeff is 2nd. I mainly use Ness and Poo for healing and shields.

I must suck at this game: it's taken me over 50 hours to pass the Sea of Eden. I've died quite a bit, have done no grinding and try to use guides/wiki only when I get stuck, forget something or don't want to do something over (using Spy). My Ness is over level 80.

You're in Magicant?

Did you use the flying men?

ulua

just got my ness amiibo (first OFFICIAL Nintendo Earthbound memorabilia released in America. Insane) that inspired me to post my Earthbound wall

P9gYhpL.jpg

lPQUEKQ.jpg

nNmC0Bi.jpg

So this is interesting. I was stuck at the sewers underneath the Fourside museum for a long time--Jeff and Poo were underleveled, and I kept getting swarmed with enemies.

I then realized that i never went through and completed the third sanctuary location by Saturn valley (although I had completed the fourth). So I went back to the valley, got the third location, and immediately went back to the sewers, which were a total cakewalk this time.

Do you think the game intentionally made the sewers super difficult to encourage me to go back and get the location that I had missed? Has this been documented at all? Just curious. It's also possible I just forgot how the combat works and wasn't fighting effectively (I'm replaying this after years of leaving it alone).

Earthbound is in my top 3 games of all time, and I'm delighted that it's still surprising me after all this time!

So this is interesting. I was stuck at the sewers underneath the Fourside museum for a long time--Jeff and Poo were underleveled, and I kept getting swarmed with enemies.

I then realized that i never went through and completed the third sanctuary location by Saturn valley (although I had completed the fourth). So I went back to the valley, got the third location, and immediately went back to the sewers, which were a total cakewalk this time.

Do you think the game intentionally made the sewers super difficult to encourage me to go back and get the location that I had missed? Has this been documented at all? Just curious. It's also possible I just forgot how the combat works and wasn't fighting effectively (I'm replaying this after years of leaving it alone).

Earthbound is in my top 3 games of all time, and I'm delighted that it's still surprising me after all this time!

Plague Rat of Doom is the Fifth Sanctuary Boss IIRC. You were attempting to sequence break a section. You could've done it too if you mastered the screen scroll glitch.

I think this is exactly what happened during my first playthrough as a kid. I drank the coffee after defeating Belch/Barf, then went back to Threed and on to the desert. It wasn't until after I got the 4th soundstone that I noticed I was missing the third. I beat the boss at threed right? Barf? Where was my melody? The game didn't make that cave behind the coffee spa very important-looking so I totally missed it until around the 5th sanctuary like you. Hah! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who goofed

Megatron

Playing through this now on 3DS. Finally. I bought it on WiiU but only made it to Threet or so before stopping. But on a handheld I'm finally getting somewhere. Now I'm currently in Stonehenge grinding for the sword of Kings. I wonder how many people wind up getting that? I wonder if your chances of getting it require you to a) kill a Starman super last if you fight a group of enemies, or b) only work when you have a proper battle with one, IE not an insta-win. Anyone know? This website seems to imply that insta-wins count. I'm probably just being paranoid. http://walkthrough.starmen.net/earthbound/sok_tips.php

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Finished this lovely game, now who was dad?

Dad is a phone.
It references the trope of a father who is so busy he's never home to watch you grow up.

And mother hides her loneliness from you by pampering you and letting you do whatever you want.

Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon...

Playing through this now on 3DS. Finally. I bought it on WiiU but only made it to Threet or so before stopping. But on a handheld I'm finally getting somewhere. Now I'm currently in Stonehenge grinding for the sword of Kings. I wonder how many people wind up getting that? I wonder if your chances of getting it require you to a) kill a Starman super last if you fight a group of enemies, or b) only work when you have a proper battle with one, IE not an insta-win. Anyone know? This website seems to imply that insta-wins count. I'm probably just being paranoid. http://walkthrough.starmen.net/earthbound/sok_tips.php

Insta-wins count, and are preferred to save time and frustration.

Top Bottom