• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's Peter Moore asked about whether EA is supporting the NX

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since I know some people have been collecting pre-reveal responses to this question.

Eurogamer said:
Eurogamer: Nintendo - it also has a new console coming out. EA, like a lot of publishers, were kind of quiet on Wii U. What is EA's stance on supporting NX?

Peter Moore: I don't know - obviously a lot of details are still to be unveiled. EA has developed for Nintendo for 30 years and I was famously quoted as saying we're still good friends. I have lived the console cycle's ups and downs - I launched the Dreamcast. Some publishers got behind that and some didn't. But certainly, EA has never come out and said it won't develop for Nintendo.

Eurogamer: EA had that 'special relationship' announcement for Wii U which never really materialised - how do you see NX being different in that regard? It sounds like Nintendo are again choosing a path which is not trying to compete with other consoles EA supports and simply be another Xbox or PlayStation. Does that make Nintendo a more difficult proposition to support?

Peter Moore: Nintendo has always based its success on its first-party games because it is a brilliant first-party developer. If you asked that question to them they'd say they have to launch with first-party software first - that's where the first dev kits go.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...re-video-game-press-conferences-have-a-future

That doesn't sound too promising, unless he's under strict NDA to not say anything, which, going by the handful of recent NX announcements from other third parties, seems unlikely.

tumblr_mkhf7ajlyU1s23baso1_500.gif

EA has developed for Nintendo for 30 years and I was famously quoted as saying we're still good friends.

I mean, if by 30 years you actually just mean 26 years. First EA games published for NES were released in 1990, and the story as I heard is that Trip Hawkins had to be heavily pressured by investors first before they made any.

maxcriden

If you asked that question to them they'd say they have to launch with first-party software first - that's where the first dev kits go.

Bit of a strange answer given major previous 3P support for Nintendo consoles in the past 15 years. These lists of launch games say to me that Nintendo is more than willing to give out dev kits in plenty of time to ready games for launch.

GBA:

Army Men Advance
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
ChuChu Rocket!
Earthworm Jim
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Fire Pro Wrestling
GT Advance Championship Racing
Iridion 3D
Konami Krazy Racers
Namco Museum
Pinobee: Wings of Adventure
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
Rayman Advance
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
Super Dodge Ball Advance
Super Mario Advance
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2

DS:

Super Mario 64 DS
Asphalt Urban GT
The Urbz: Sims in the City
Feel the Magic: XY/XX
Spider-Man 2
Madden NFL 2005
Metroid Prime Hunters

3DS:

■Pilotwings Resort
■Steel Diver
■Nintendogs + Cats
■Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
■The Sims 3
■Madden NFL Football
■Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
■Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
■Ridge Racer 3D
■Super Monkey Ball 3D
■Bust-A-Move Universe
■Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
■Asphalt 3D
■Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
■Rayman 3D
■Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

GCN:

All-Star Baseball 2002
Batman Vengeance
Crazy Taxi
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Disney’s Tarzan Untamed
Luigi’s Mansion
Madden NFL 2002
NHL Hitz 20-02
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Super Monkey Ball
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3
Wave Race: Blue Storm

Wii:

Call of Duty 3
Cars
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Excite Truck
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
GT Pro Series
Happy Feet
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Monster 4×4 World Circuit
Need for Speed: Carbon
Rampage: Total Destruction
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Tony Hawk’s Downhill Jam
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wii Sports

Wii U:

ssin’s Creed 3
•Batman Arkhman City Armored Edition
•Call of Duty Black Ops 2
•New Super Mario Bros U
•Nintendo Land
•ZombiU
•Darksiders 2
•Sing Party
•Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
•FIFA 13
•Just Dance 4
•Rabbids Land
•Scribblenauts Unlimited
•Sports Connection
•Transformers Prime
•Skylanders Giants
•Tekken Tag Tournament 2
•Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
•Wipeout 3
•Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor’s Edge
•Game Party Champions
•Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
•Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It was talked in the actual main NX discussion thread, but there's also this from executive vice president Patrick Soderlund.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...do-fan-projects-and-more.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

A Return to Nintendo Isn't Out Of The Question

EA was one of many publishers that bid farewell to the Wii U early on in the ill-fate console's life cycle. With Nintendo about to shift gears and announce a new system of its own, it's a clean slate for bringing third-parties back to the table. Because Nintendo hasn't formally explained what its next system, codenamed NX, will be, Soderlund couldn't talk specifically. However, he did share thoughts on Nintendo and what would bring the company back to the table.

"Nintendo is such an instrumental part of our whole industry," he shared. "They deserve to be successful, and they deserve to be a major player in the business, given their pedigree. It's not only the machines that they've built, but also the IPs they've brought to market. There are very few companies like Nintendo. Whenever they bring something to market that we see an addressable market for, we'll be there. Given that they haven't announced [a new console] officially or shown it, I can't comment specifically."

I don't know if it would fit in the OP, so I'll leave the possibility to add it in the OP to Nirolak's own judgement.

VariantX

That doesn't sound too promising, unless he's under strict NDA to not say anything, which, going by the handful of recent NX announcements from other third parties, seems unlikely.

I doubt it. What NDA are they under that Ubisoft and Sega aren't? I just don't think they're going to bother unless the sales come in. This is full on wait and see mode talk.

maxcriden

I doubt it. What NDA are they under that Ubisoft and Sega aren't? I just don't think they're going to bother unless the sales come in. This is full on wait and see mode talk.

I agree with you, but FWIW it's possible some games were given the go-ahead to be announced and some were not. I imagine Ubisoft has more to announce than just Just Dance, and if E3 Zhuge rumors are to believed (and I see no reason not to believe them), Ubisoft also showed off a multiplatform game at E3 that will come to NX.

Mpl90

There is an NDA, we've heard several times about how tight it is (Rosti and John Harker, for example). However, it seems there are some exceptions that are allowed. Ubisoft has other games that will be announced for NX, for example (one of them was at E3 this year and getting showed on other consoles - PC/PS4/One - , going by ZhugeEX's tweets from a few ago), but they announced Just Dance 2017 so far. Personally, I've also speculated that the exception is for games that don't give us a clearer statement on NX's graphical power (if you notice, the games announced so far have had CG teasers / Wii U or 3DS or Wii versions as the main reference for visual quality).

thefro

Logically given a March 2017 launch, you wouldn't see Madden/FIFA until the fall. 6 month+ late ports at full price make no sense when the new games will be close to coming out.

The right move. Devs and pubs would be crazy to waste time on the NX right now, taking valuable resources away from other established platforms.

In EA's case, most of their games either run on Frostbite or will be running on Frostbite soon (Madden). If they port Frostbite over and get it running on NX it won't take a ton of effort to port games over. Given Frostbite also supports mobile I have to imagine they could get it running on Nvidia Shield, ergo it should run on NX.

Bit of a strange answer given major previous 3P support for Nintendo consoles in the past 15 years. These lists of launch games say to me that Nintendo is more than willing to give out dev kits in plenty of time to ready games for launch.

Liam Robertson also had a story in February for Nintendolife that EA at the time had already had dev kits "for a while" as of Feb 2016.

schaft0620

A big problem with the Wii U was 3rd party devs were the last to know about it. Bethesda complained a lot about this IIRC. Peter hints that, has me worried about the NX getting 3rd party support. If the hardware is extremely unique, the difficulty of porting could go way up and that is directly proportional to the cost of development. If Nintendo doesn't start out hot out the gate 3rd party devs could see little value in the cost of porting games over. EA, Acti and UBI didn't have a problem with this the 1st or 2nd year of the Wii U but after that.

ika

Peter Moore said:
Nintendo has always based its success on its first-party games because it is a brilliant first-party developer. If you asked that question to them they'd say they have to launch with first-party software first - that's where the first dev kits go.
Looks like they just received its kits recently and they're no longer in the VIP developer list that Nintendo chooses to talk about their new consoles early and send provisional kits. After the "unprecedented partnership" (funny how the interviewed mentions it directly) I can't blame them.

Griss

Wow, he couldn't even bring himself to do the 'I'm sure it'll be a great success, and we always want to be on successful consoles' typical puff quote.

Instead he was like 'Yeah they sent all their dev-kits to first parties, 3rd parties will be behind the 8-ball from the start as usual, fuck that'.

I read it as a giant blinking neon 'NO'.

ultrazilla

In his defense, he *could* be under NDA. Why? Nintendo wants to keep their support secret until the reveal and treat EA like a rock star.

I'd love to see Dragon Age, Need for Speed, Crysis, Battlefield, etc on the system.

Maybe they'll port Battlefield 1 to the system and see how it sells...

18-Volt

Question: "Will you make games for NX?"
Answer: "Sorry I have to answer this with a non-answer. Nintendo don't want us to talk about it."

bachikarn

Yeah the NX is going to be a Nintendo box. If Nintendo has really merged their console and portable into one product, I think they can have enough internal support for that to be okay.

Maybe they will have better Japanese third party support.

Mpl90

Not a good thing to hear for a system launching in 6-7 months.

Eh, to be honest, I suppose he could be talking about details available to the public. Or it's a PR-esque answer similar in intentions to "we wanted to announce Scorpio now so devs are aware of it".

Asd202

There is an NDA, we've heard several times about how tight it is (Rosti and John Harker, for example). However, it seems there are some exceptions that are allowed. Ubisoft has other games that will be announced for NX, for example (one of them was at E3 this year and getting showed on other consoles - PC/PS4/One - , going by ZhugeEX's tweets from a few ago), but they announced Just Dance 2017 so far. Personally, I've also speculated that the exception is for games that don't give us a clearer statement on NX's graphical power (if you notice, the games announced so far have had CG teasers / Wii U or 3DS or Wii versions as the main reference for visual quality).

Yeah I don't buy it. NDA for the console specs sure but for game announcements? No. Also what the point in hiding thegraphical power like that? 3rd parties have that information as so does Sony and MS even if indirectly.

Top Bottom