• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's Peter Moore asked about whether EA is supporting the NX

Yeah the NX is going to be a Nintendo box. If Nintendo has really merged their console and portable into one product, I think they can have enough internal support for that to be okay.

Maybe they will have better Japanese third party support.
Better Japanese support should be a given but I don't see striking big with western publishers aside Ubisoft and maybe Warner and Activison

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah I don't buy it. NDA for the console specs sure but for game announcements? No. Also what the point in hiding thegraphical power like that? 3rd parties have that information as so does Sony and MS even if indirectly.

What's EA got coming out in the spring besides Mass Effect that could potentially be on NX? Madden and FIFA, scheduling wise, would be smack-dab in the middle between this year's and next year's versions.

I'm not saying it will happen, cuz I don't think it will cuz EA is taking a 'lttp' on everything approach these days it seems. I'm saying that it makes no sense to put out this year's FIFA/Madden/NBA on a device that comes out 6 months before the new one.

GametimeUK

The smart think to do is to hang on and see how people take to NX. No point in putting resources into another dead Nintendo platform.

Asd202

What's EA got coming out in the spring besides Mass Effect that could potentially be on NX? Madden and FIFA, scheduling wise, would be smack-dab in the middle between this year's and next year's versions.

Probably nothing as Mass Effect will get delayed.

Mr Swine

Banned
Seeing how EA never really cared about releasing games on Nintendo systems after the Snes I think they won't make any games on NX. Probably a port of a 2-3 year old game at full price and then complain that nobody buys their crappy games

The smart think to do is to hang on and see how people take to NX. No point in putting resources into another dead Nintendo platform.

And then they release nothing because Nintendo will announce a new handheld/console in a few years despite it selling well

Hiltz

I almost feel sorry for people who still believe that Nintendo can acquire strong third party support that's on par with Xbox and PlayStation. That dream has been dead for a long time now, and I don't see how NX can realistically change that course. It doesn't even matter if Nintendo tries to make a direct competitive console or not.

I almost feel sorry for people who still believe that Nintendo can acquire strong third party support that's on par with Xbox and PlayStation. That dream has been dead for a long time now.
And I still don't get why people say that people say Nintendo can get strong third party support like Xbox/PS...nobody has said that whatsoever.

Peterc

The right move. Devs and pubs would be crazy to waste time on the NX right now, taking valuable resources away from other established platforms.

The wii sold like candy in his first year. Ps3 AND xbox 360 didn't. Still 3rd party devs provided better support for them then wii.
Wii received allot of crap games.

I think they just decide what system works best for them. Mostly it are the ones with the most power or almost equal to that.

Aikidoka

Peter Moore: Nintendo has always based its success on its first-party games because it is a brilliant first-party developer. If you asked that question to them they'd say they have to launch with first-party software first - that's where the first dev kits go.

So he's saying Nintendo only cares about 1st party IP. Not surprising but it also sounds like EA doesn't even have dev kits.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So he's saying Nintendo only cares about 1st party IP. Not surprising but it also sounds like EA doesn't even have dev kits.

As posted already (while it should sincerly taken with grains of salt)

thefro;214097658 [URL="http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/02/rumour_ea_and_nintendo_looking_to_rekindle_unprecedented_partnership_on_nx" said:
Liam Robertson also had a story in February for Nintendolife that EA at the time had already had dev kits "for a while" as of Feb 2016.[/URL]

Oregano

Yeah I don't buy it. NDA for the console specs sure but for game announcements? No. Also what the point in hiding thegraphical power like that? 3rd parties have that information as so does Sony and MS even if indirectly.

Unless the Sonic, Just Dance and Dragon Quest X are the only third party games NX is getting it's safe to say that developers can't/won't just announce whatever games they want, whenever they want.

Which is exactly what any reasonable developer would say if they don't know what Nintendo is up to.

3rd party doesn't owe Nintendo anything.

True, but I guess you gotta spend money to make money. It's hard to come onto a platform late and be successful. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy,

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I take this as a "No". Not unexpected though. Too bad because Nintendo really misses in the sport games department in the past years.

Depends how easy it is to port to and how powerful it is.

If the system is a success, I'm sure we'll see smaller EA games on it.

I take this as a "No". Not unexpected though. Too bad because Nintendo really misses in the sport games department in the past years.

Yeah, I feel like if EA isn't on board, it's time for Nintendo to invest in a studio or two for sports games. They won't, but they probably should.

Kouriozan

At least this time, Nintendo is getting a precedented support from EA.
Maybe if Nintendo manage to get the casual crowd back, the audience will be there.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
A nintendo home would not see western third party support.
A portable console.would not see western third party support.

So...

Banned
EA always waits for the install base to grow before developing for Nintendo.

For Sony, Microsoft and PC they give them the benefit of the doubt and risk being there day one to help grow the install base.

foltzie1

I don't blame him,

Either NX will be cheap to develop for or for some reason it will attract the kind of sports or FPS focused gamers that normally flock to Xbox and Playstation.

Nintendo still doesn't play in the yearly sports/FPS game sandbox, so the later seems like a stretch.

Petrae

...and, here in the US at least, those missing sports games are three of the ten best-selling titles every year. NFL/football is HUGE business here, along with NBA/basketball, and FIFA/soccer is huge worldwide.

Nintendo has avenues to create its own licensed MLB, NBA, and NHL games, if it so chose. FIFA and NFL are locked up by EA, so Nintendo either has to create its own unlicensed football game (maybe arcade-style?) and soccer game (Strikers needs an overhaul)... or it needs to do whatever is necessary (money, free advertising, etc) to get Madden and FIFA on board.

SEGA was smart about this with the Dreamcast. Visual Concepts had background with sports games (and EA) in the past, and took advantage of the fact that exclusive licensing wasn't a thing. Nintendo's road is a bit more challenging.

Next Level Games has hockey experience in its background and has done a decent job with soccer. Perhaps Nintendo can use them to do more sports games for the NX, especially now that Federation Force is behind them.

RibMan

Interesting answer!

He might be under strict NDA (very likely), or EA might actually be avoiding NX development altogether. Hopefully it's the former and not the latter. Once we find out what the NX is we'll have a much better idea of who's on board and who isn't, right?

lenovox1

I hope we at least see some kind of Madden on the NX. If I can't get it on my PC, I hope my future NX will play it.

Considering EA's previous mobile output and output for Nintendo consoles post-Wii, it will likely be an offshoot of Madden Mobile developed by the same team regardless of the success of the platform. I don't think anybody wants that.

fvCpzx6BTuYrXT_6Oq71Zbwm_kRzSkuH49yYUdH9D-1cXFozyN9MVczMFoJtipbioT8=h900

Top Bottom