• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

I don't care for angry Joe's stuff, but I watched his QB review because of a recent ongoing thread.

He pointed out the terrible AI, inconsistent powers, ridiculous plot points, terrible show performance, and more.

Huber just presented it like it was Alan Wake level of good and it looks to be far from the truth.

I'd probably score QB higher than Alan Wake. Like them both, but having more fun with QB.

I'd probably score QB higher than Alan Wake. Like them both, but having more fun with QB.

I don't know if I'd score it higher, but I do enjoy the variety of powers, compared to Alan Wake's flashlight and guns. I finished Act 3 yesterday and it's a really enjoyable game for me. I like the pacing and structure of the story and even the TV show, with it's kinda low production values, is better than expected (I had zero hopes for it). I also have zero issues with the game switching between gameplay and live action cutscene. It doesn't take me out at all and it's not something I'd knock the game down for.

So far: 4 angry rant videos/6.5 stars

I don't care for angry Joe's stuff, but I watched his QB review because of a recent ongoing thread.

He pointed out the terrible AI, inconsistent powers, ridiculous plot points, terrible show performance, and more.

Huber just presented it like it was Alan Wake level of good and it looks to be far from the truth.
QB is easily more enjoyable than Alan Wake for me. Finished QB this weekend and really enjoyed it.

UrbanRats

Never got the love for Alan Wake.
Cool story and setting/atmosphere, but the gameplay is so basic and pedestrian.

Maybe it's because I followed the development, the infamous tornado tech demo, when the game was supposed to be more open world, but the final game we got was a huge disappointment.

I guess Remedy peaked with Max Payne 2, for me.

About the QB review, I don't think Huber needs any defending. I didn't play the game but, as much as I trust Huber's well informed opinions, I know he's a Remedy die-hard fan, while that's usually not my kind of game.
It's quite clear for me that his opinion on this particular game could probably not align with my tastes, and I have to check other reviewers' opinions to balance that.
That's the great thing about knowing this guys so well: you know their preferences so you can compare them with yours.

emalord

Imho QB is on par with AlanWake concerning fighting mechanics: a few combination of items/moves to be tested on different enemies in different arenas

AlanWake wins the fight (for me) thanks to the fantastic setting (the Woods, the darkness, the super natural) and darker story

That said QB is far from mediocre and at higher difficulty levels I think it can be a truly compelling game, but I wouldn't rate it more than 7,5 while AW is a good 8,5 on my book

Servbot24

Banned
Not gonna lie, angry Joe's review of quantum break makes me not wanna trust Huber's opinions on games. He obviously doesn't have the same critical view as I do.

I don't check out reviews for recommendations, I do it to gain new perspectives. I can already tell for myself what games I'm going to enjoy just by watching a little bit of gameplay. That's why I prefer reviews that come from the heart rather than robotic "unbiased" reviews.

Naythan

Plenty of other people like Quantum Break more than Huber. Joe is in the minority with his low score and is far from an arbiter of all things truthful.

Jonnax

What is truth? A review is a summary of someone's subjective experiences. Huber liked it and Joe didn't and they both explained why they thought so.

If you want objectivity then give this review a read:
http://www.destructoid.com/100-objective-review-final-fantasy-xiii-179178.phtml

jbluzb

For me reviews are meant to tell you the points of the game pros and cons and it is up to the listener or viewer to decide if you agree or not. When you listen to reviews, it is also a means for you to confirm what you already feel about the game.

llehuty

Updated the OP with the whole schedule shebang. There's a lot of stuff they upload!
Nice~
I have a suggestion though. The list of shows blends in a bit, it could be better to clasify it to clearly see what corresponds to each day. For example:

MONDAY
CUP OF JONES (Patreon $1 tier and above)

Brandon Jones shoots from the hip in the updates to backers alongside an editorial take and answers your questions about the EZA while chiiling with a beverage.

FRAME TRAP (every other monday)

Ben Moore hosts an in depth discussion of videos games and gaming culture with a rotating cast

DUMB GAME MONDAY (twitch stream)

Kyle Bosman gets a game voted on by viewers gifted to him by grandma that doesn't look good on paper, but he will finish it and learn to love it by the end.... After exploring for every secret.

TUESDAY
Etc.
Just a suggestion, not sure how the others feel about it. It would also be cool if each show had it's own banner (I think the old GT thread had those), but no idea if those were ripped directly from the GT page or what.

Axass

Nice~
I have a suggestion though. The list of shows blends in a bit, it could be better to clasify it to clearly see what corresponds to each day. For example:

Just a suggestion, not sure how the others feel about it. It would also be cool if each show had it's own banner (I think the old GT thread had those), but no idea if those were ripped directly from the GT page or what.

Yeah, that'd be nice.

Hasney

Banners were ripped directly from GT yeah. The most artistic talent I have involves using the text tool in MSPaint and picking the Miami Vice font.

llehuty

Banners were ripped directly from GT yeah. The most artistic talent I have involves using the text tool in MSPaint and picking the Miami Vice font.
Hahaha, don't worry... I'm sure some of the more artistic talented people in this community could have a go at it if they feel like it.

*puts pressure in the community*

Hasney

I've started screen grabbing the logos, not sure if it'll look too busy once I put them all in, so I've just updated Monday that way for now to see what people think.

Maligna

Banned
Just watched the Patrons only D&D session. That was some hilarious hijinks.

I always want to play D&D with my group of friends. They have expressed interest. Problem is even though I've never played D&D myself, I am still there most knowledgeable about the game, which makes me default GM.

I'm just worried I wouldn't be able to make it as fun as it seems on these streams.

wiibomb

I wonder if Jones would ever use the mugs kyle used in his show, that would be a pretty nice callback.

(I'm secretly awaiting for him to use the gaf mug)

ito007

Just watched the Patrons only D&D session. That was some hilarious hijinks.

I always want to play D&D with my group of friends. They have expressed interest. Problem is even though I've never played D&D myself, I am still there most knowledgeable about the game, which makes me default GM.

I'm just worried I wouldn't be able to make it as fun as it seems on these streams.
If you have a good group of interested friends then it'll be fun either way. Just get to know the game through some good DM guides and you can easily make some fun scenarios. Picking up the official player's handbook, DM guide, and monster manual are pretty essential.

Maligna

Banned
If you have a good group of interested friends then it'll be fun either way. Just get to know the game through some good DM guides and you can easily make some fun scenarios. Picking up the official player's handbook, DM guide, and monster manual are pretty essential.

Yeah. Trying to do as much reading as I can.

KRaZyAmmo

3DS doesn't have GBA games apart from the Ambassador releases, which didn't include a Tetris game. On 3DS, as far as I know, there's Tetris Axis, Tetris Ultimate, and Tetris (GB VC). I believe both Tetris Axis and Tetris (GB VC) are delisted from the eShop now, so if you want those games digitally, you have to already have bought them prior to the delisting.

Oh thanks for answering. I didn't know about it being delisted. I do have the game on a GB Emulator on my laptop. So I am practicing GB Tetris.

I wonder if they'll do extensive discussions on one particular game, like they did with Bloodborne and Phantom Pain. I'd love to see one on Dark Souls III. I get the impression Ben is eager to talk a lot about it.

Speaking of Ben, watching his no death run stream has solidified him as my favourite. He said his favourite story of all time is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. That's my favourite book of all time. Legend.

Well Angry Joe demonstrated a lot of what he said was wrong with the game. I'm not implying Huber is not trustworthy, but I think his overly optimistic rambunctious attitude towards Remedy games made him a poor choice for that review. Also, the fact that he played through it with his girlfriend (who was loving it) probably helped blind him even further.

I played Alan Wake through 3 times, so maybe QB's combat will be enough for me. However, almost all of Joe's critiques are things that would bug the hell out of me too.

I guess I just don't agree with Huber's opinions as much as I thought I did.

*shrug*

Stream schedule for this week:

Monday, April 18th
9PM PT - 11PM PT | Dumb Game Monday
Power Rangers Samurai
Kyle Bosman

Tuesday, April 19th
10AM PT - 12PM PT | Toy Box Tuesday
Disney Infinity
Brandon Jones
6PM PT - 8PM PT | GROUP STREAM
Perfect Dark - or - Stikbold! - or - Speed Runners
Patrons' Pick!

Wednesday, April 20th
3PM PT - 5PM PT | Resident Evil 6
Full Playthrough Pt. 5
Mike Huber & Brad Ellis
8PM PT - 10PM PT | Star Ocean 5
Japanese Import
Ben Moore

Thursday, April 21st
2PM PT - 4PM PT | The Legend of Zelda
Link's Awakening
Daniel Bloodworth
6PM PT - 8PM PT | Resident Evil 6
Full Playthrough Pt. 6
Brad Ellis & Mike Huber

Friday, April 22nd
6PM PT - 8PM PT | Star Fox Zero
Michael Damiani
12:01AM PT - 1AM PT | Tetris
Bosman v Wozniak Week 4
Kyle Bosman

Tankard

Stream schedule for this week:

Tuesday, April 19th
6PM PT - 8PM PT | GROUP STREAM
Perfect Dark - or - Stikbold! - or - Speed Runners
Patrons' Pick!

bAjxhTH.gif

Kneefoil

It was interesting to see after voting that Perfect Dark and Stickbold are neck and neck. I was unsure which to vote for myself, so I used random.org to decide.

Naythan

Well Angry Joe demonstrated a lot of what he said was wrong with the game. I'm not implying Huber is not trustworthy, but I think his overly optimistic rambunctious attitude towards Remedy games made him a poor choice for that review. Also, the fact that he played through it with his girlfriend (who was loving it) probably helped blind him even further.

I played Alan Wake through 3 times, so maybe QB's combat will be enough for me. However, almost all of Joe's critiques are things that would bug the hell out of me too.

I guess I just don't agree with Huber's opinions as much as I thought I did.

*shrug*

lol @ "blind him"

Visceir

anyone else not ever vote for these things?

Seems odd that they pick singleplayer games for group streams. And then the controller gets handed to someone who is clueless about the game and doesn't care what's going on on the screen...which makes the game pretty much background noise at that point.

wiibomb

I'm pretty sure those 2 games are EZA foreshadowing lol

they clearly want Perfect Dark to win...

they did similar with Quantum Break, no?

Hasney

I'm pretty sure those 2 games are EZA foreshadowing lol

they clearly want Perfect Dark to win...

they did similar with Quantum Break, no?

Stikbold is winning.

I mean, before that, Enter the Gungeon was pretty anticipated, so they did that wrong. Think people would rather see games that aren't yet overexposed by the looks of these polls

wiibomb

Stikbold is winning.

I mean, before that, Enter the Gungeon was pretty anticipated, so they did that wrong. Think people would rather see games that aren't yet overexposed by the looks of these polls

I'm of that mind, actually, the stream totally sold me on Enter the Gungeon, I didn't knew the game before, voted for it and loved it when I saw it.

I didn't vote for Ratchet & Clank last time either, I want to check out new games while I hear the stream

lol @ "blind him"

What's so funny? Sometimes I play games with my wife that I probably wouldn't care for too much, but the fact that she is into it make it a lot of fun and more engaging.

I'll play the game by myself later and think "Meh, it's not very good."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom