• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

luchadork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Jfi3QhASE

DlODsll.gif

the interviewer looks like huber

Heartfyre

One thing from Cup Of Jones everyone should know: They're doing the madness the same as last year. Conference streams and all that jazz!

That was my biggest take-away from this week's Cup of Jones. As long as they're earning enough through Patreon and sponsorships that they can:

(a). Survive.
(b). Maintain what is becoming an absolutely packed stream-and-show schedule (a new Pokémon show this week!? With all the podcasts and everything else!? D-Files and retrospectives on the way!?)
(c). Blowing the doors off with E3 coverage
(d). Eventually getting into a position where they can have a studio that can support an EZA Live show with guests and such

it hardly matters to us if they're full-time or on a freelance basis. As it is, I think we're actually getting more videos and streams from them now than we were when they were GT salarymen. They stream on weekends now. They're not treating it like a 9-5, in the best possible way -- it's a passion project, working for themselves rather than a corporate entity. So far, purely as a patron who likes their videos, the audience is better off now that they've shed the GT epidermis and hit out on their own. I hope they're better off personally, and I hope we're collectively keeping them out of debtor's prison, but I don't feel we should be thinking about it any more than that. We'll leave that to Brandon and Blood -- they're both extremely capable of making it all work.

But the last thing I'll say about money is this: now that they seem to have gotten most of the fixed costs (cameras, microphones, streaming computer) out of the way, they'll really get to enjoy what's coming to them on May 1st, and that makes me glad.

Hasney

Have they mentioned anything regarding their E3 plans? Would be great if they streamed during each conference like last year.

That's exactly what was said on Cup of Jones. They're bringing back the mad days of last year with all day streaming for the big conference day and they're going.

Tankard

it hardly matters to us if they're full-time or on a freelance basis.

Of course it does. They are not full time, so imagine Bosman, Ben and Huber (these just to exemplify, basing it on current work traffic for EZA) get a big contract job opportunity with companies such as Nintendo, Sony or whatever and they won't be able to continue with EZA, maybe you won't see a problem with this, maybe some won't, but do you imagine a lot of the patrons will feel the same way?

So my beef with it is, what will be the implications of them not going full time, or some of them? Would they accept a job that does not require them to leave EZA and the schedule as it is?
I don't know, but I think this is a valid concern. I'm backing them and following them because I love this group together, just wanted clarification if even not all of them going full time it stays this way.

Hasney

Of course it does. They are not full time, so imagine Bosman, Ben and Huber (these just to exemplify, basing it on current work traffic for EZA) get a big contract job opportunity with companies such as Nintendo, Sony or whatever and they won't be able to continue with EZA, maybe you won't see a problem with this, maybe some won't, but do you imagine a lot of the patrons will feel the same way?

So my beef with it is, what will be the implications of them not going full time, or some of them? Would they accept a job that does not require them to leave EZA and the schedule as it is?
I don't know, but I think this is a valid concern. I'm backing them and following them because I love this group together, just wanted clarification if even not all of them going full time it stays this way.

And even if they were full time, if the opportunity is as good as you just said it was, why wouldn't they just leave?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Damn watching the new cup of jones, it's a shame that it's patrons only.

The honesty and also the tidbits of insider insight(small bits right now but I enjoy that aspect the most about the show, I just like to see how things work -> making ofs, dokus, in depth interviews are my jazz) are really cool.

But more importantly I think the honesty kind of nurtures the connection between viewers and content creators. I feel like if people had access to this show more people might grow comfortable to subscribe and see what comes of it.

It's just my view though, as someone that views the Easy Allies Patron more like one of these old magazine subscriptions(but better because there is more flexibility, etc).

Hasney

Damn watching the new cup of jones, it's a shame that it's patrons only.

The honesty and also the tidbits of insider insight(small bits right now but I enjoy that aspect the most about the show, I just like to see how things work -> making ofs, dokus, in depth interviews are my jazz) are really cool.

But more importantly I think the honesty kind of nurtures the connection between viewers and content creators. I feel like if people had access to this show more people might grow comfortable to subscribe and see what comes of it.

It's just my view though, as someone that views the Easy Allies Patron more like one of these old magazine subscriptions(but better because there is more flexibility, etc).

I mean, it's a buck a month which someone could even back out of before the end of the month if Cup of Jones or EZA wasn't for them. If people aren't willing to do that, then there's probably no hope of them adding to Patreon.

Tankard

And even if they were full time, if the opportunity is as good as you just said it was, why wouldn't they just leave?

I feel your reply is incredibly nitpicky to my entire argument. But ok..

They get a full time job that requires them to leave the project. This is a situation that changes when you are a part time or full time.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That's exactly what was said on Cup of Jones. They're bringing back the mad days of last year with all day streaming for the big conference day and they're going.

Their Patreon is going to blow up even more than it already is.
Well, I hope so at least.

Visceir

Guess that depends on if Easy Allies is owned by just Brandon Jones. If they all owned it mutually they'd they have incentive to make Easy Allies something big.

Going by what Brandon said during the podcast about him still writing the checks leads me to believe he is the owner of Easy Allies though?

Hasney

I feel your reply is incredibly nitpicky to my entire argument. But ok..

They get a full time job that requires them to leave the project. This is a situation that changes when you are a part time or full time.

Exactly, this grants them more flexibility though. Got a big project coming up? Awesome. Can still go play D&D with your friends for several hours on a Saturday once a month or so, have some fun Tuesday night on a group stream and blow off some steam even and do a show once a week/fortnight depending on the schedule they're on most likely. Maybe cut down on the streaming commitments, but the nature of this beast is that almost everything can be worked around.

Right now, they're getting paid to do something they enjoy doing. It doesn't feel like something that would be easily given up.

Tankard

Exactly, this grants them more flexibility though. Got a big project coming up? Awesome. Can still go play D&D with your friends for several hours on a Saturday once a month or so, have some fun Tuesday night on a group stream and blow off some steam even and do a show once a week/fortnight depending on the schedule they're on most likely. Maybe cut down on the streaming commitments, but the nature of this beast is that almost everything can be worked around.

Right now, they're getting paid to do something they enjoy doing. It doesn't feel like something that would be easily given up.

If that's the case i'm fine with it, i'm extremely happy with their current wave of content (except for Bosman show that i still feel it's kind of a ridiculous situation, but not the point here) and if it means they might get other jobs without harming or leaving the project is good with me. But i wouldn't like to think we are in constant danger os losing members because they are not full time. Maybe they don't even know the answer to that right now.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, it's a buck a month which you could even back out of before the end of the month if Cup of Jones wasn't for them. If people aren't willing to do that, then there's probably no hope of them adding to it. They're pretty meaty too, a good 20 odd minutes on the last 2.

But I think there is because Cup of Jones I feel like gives the kind of insight and honest conversation through patron question that is trust building. So I don't think I agree that there's no hope to bring people in that aren't willing to pay 1 dollar.
The money isn't the issue here I think for a lot of people it's a mental thing to really connect for what the money pays(even for Patrons this isn't super clear given that we've seen some funny calculations made in this thread) for and why they would want to do it.

Jones whole talk about the stage/office and what it would mean to them is the kind of conversation that I think bridges the connection for people to understand what the money really means.
Right now I think even among patrons many connect the money more to the shows, which isn't wrong given that's the easy way to market and the easiest connection to make to the money you pay. But I think the story about what opportunities can arise with more money is the more exciting one.

Also I think we kind of live in a world where people aren't accustomed to the idea anymore to pay monthly for content unless what they get is huge access(netflix, etc).
But I also think it's a culture that might change again as the model becomes more common again(patron itself is brings the model to smaller ventures and makes it as accessible as possible).

Heartfyre

I did say "As long as...they can" and posted a big list of stuff before that part you quoted.

So long as they can show up now and then, it really doesn't matter if they're full-time. Job has you busy this Tuesday and you can't make the group stream? Show up on Frame Trap later in the week instead. We keep getting told that Ian is really busy, but he's a part of Tabletop Escapades and puts out his own show every week. It's a system that can work. I do think it'd be worthwhile to try and get a couple of them full-time for the sake of some stability, and Brandon raised that as something they're looking at in the Cup of Jones episode this week. But so far, even with some of them working, the whole EZA operation still puts out more stuff than they did when they were all employed by Defy. Let's just enjoy what they're making and not fret the rest. They're the single-most earning Patreon ever -- they're not going anywhere.

There isn't really anything else to talk about :lol

Cause Bosman refuses to talk about the burning issue with WoW private servers which is actually very interesting discussion and it concernes other games being preserved as well. I hope Ben does a Hotake on this

Kasper

Great Cup of Jones once again. This show has been the biggest surprise to me in terms of how much I enjoy it. It's probably my second-favorite EZA show so far.

If anyone should get hired full-time alongside Brandon it should be Kyle so we can get a weekly scheduled Bosman show back, rather than the current sporadic nature of Bosman at home.

The 200k figure sounds insane, but it doesn't really matter to me, seeing as whatever a more realistic figure is it would still be far off and unobtainable just through Patreon funding, so it makes no difference if we know it or not.

Also, is it just me or did Brandon misunderstand the question regarding bets? He seemed to answer it as-if the question was about whether or not they would still do casual bets on the podcast, streams and such, rather than what the actual question seemed to be: whether or not we will be getting any betting specials, i.e. Final Bets-esque videos for big events like E3 and Gamescom.

Hasney

Also, is it just me or did Brandon misunderstand the question regarding bets? He seemed to answer it as-if the question was about whether or not they would still do casual bets on the podcast, streams and such, rather than what the actual question seemed to be: whether or not we will be getting any betting specials, i.e. Final Bets-esque videos for big events like E3 and Gamescom.

There's nothing special about bets! It's an addiction!!

But seriously, E3 Final Bets are happening.

I say this with complete love and respect, but I feel the reason that their Patreon is relatively stagnant at the moment has to do with their current stretch goals. Their one stretch goal they have is a far way off and many are iffy on it and not really sure how it benefits the viewer at this moment.

I know the big problem with stretch goals is obviously the added responsibility/time concerns, so the intermediate goals should be things they planned on doing already or not a big time sink. Like, the Jones/Huber Pokemon show is something that could serve as a goal.

Also, just to ratchet up the hype a few hundred notches, i'd have some goals regarding their E3 coverage that it sounds they're already committed to doing big anyways. Something like increased podcasts, livestreams, etc. if they're already committed to being around for those days anyways.

If anyone should be hired full time it's Ben. Best reviews in the biz, hosting two shows already, best podcast guest...

And most of all we are in desperate need of Ben solo show with all things Japan.

Hasney

I say this with complete love and respect, but I feel the reason that their Patreon is relatively stagnant at the moment has to do with their current stretch goals. Their one stretch goal they have is a far way off and many are iffy on it and not really sure how it benefits the viewer at this moment.

Stagnant relative to what? It's still going up and no matter what goal is there, it's not going to go as fast as it did in the first week or so. Steady growth is good.

They've already talked about a 40k stretch goal, but it needs to be something that doesn't take out of the studio budget, so it's difficult.

luchadork

yup. ben's leading in most statistical categories.

also when brandon says 'they' are looking to make 4 people full time. i assume 'they' refers to him and blood, cause they are the brains of this operation. so obviously brandon doesnt need any pay because he's rich for life from the mtv deal. and blood will be away in poland for a lot of the time working on the witcher4. so that leaves ben, kyle, huber, and brad as the 4 full time, right?

To be fair I'm not worried with the full time stuff. 2 podcasts and TTE is already more than I would have dared to ask for a few months ago. Everything else is just a very nice bonus.

The only thing I'm concerned about is if they end up with some salt mines level job and they start to feel too stressed doing the EZA on the side or if they get a job that prevents them from doing EZA content like they do now.

Stagnant relative to what? It's still going up and no matter what goal is there, it's not going to go as fast as it did in the first week or so. Steady growth is good.

They've already talked about a 40k stretch goal, but it needs to be something that doesn't take out of the studio budget, so it's difficult.

Yep, stagnant was a poor word choice there. It just sounded like Jones was hopeful to have the studio goal achieved by E3, and at the rate they're going currently it is unlikely. It's still going up which is a fantastic sign.

Hasney

Yep, stagnant was a poor word choice there. It just sounded like Jones was hopeful to have the studio goal achieved by E3, and at the rate they're going currently it is unlikely. It's still going up which is a fantastic sign.

Ah, nah, they thought the studio was some far off goal in terms of the Patreon number before they started. But what it sounded like he was saying was that once they lock down some sponsorship, they might not need the full 50k to come from backers. Even if they were locked down ready financially though, I doubt they'd be ready for E3 in terms of being setup in the new place.

One thing that was cool from last week though was that we'll get a studio building vlog, which could be fun.

Kyle talked about how Trailer Score was their best show in terms of time and effort they had to put in and the views it brought. Definitely the cheapest show to produce.

I'd be more than happy to have it back and would definitely up my pledge to $15, if they'd announce it as a 40k goal.

Hasney

Kyle talked about how Trailer Score was their best show in terms of time and effort they had to put in and the views it brought. Definitely the cheapest show to produce.

I'd be more than happy to have it back and would definitely up my pledge to $15, if they'd announce it as a 40k goal.

Yeah, I think that's one for the studio the way Brandon has talked about it though. He said it worked at GT because when a trailer dropped, he could drag Blood and Kyle into his office and watch it to get their hottake without having seen it before. With them not being in the same place, it's harder.

Personally, I wouldn't mind them trying that over Hangouts or something. Brandon sees a trailer he wants to talk about and puts a shout in their group chat or whatever they use and 2 of the guys that are available can get on a call and talk about it. not ideal, but alright.

jbluzb

I also thought that patreon has reached its sealing at 37k but the number still gets higher everyday, all indicators are positive so 38k is still possible at the end of April.

They produce more content now than ever before! I have no complaints on the quality shows and streams they have.

Their youtube channel needs to grow to bring more people. As of now, views are similar to GT days. They need a big stint or something to push the channel to higher awareness and presence in youtube space.

llehuty

I hope they get a decent sponsor for E3, taking into account all the buzz they had going on for the E3 goverage.

#BudlightBishop

Heartfyre

One thing that was cool from last week though was that we'll get a studio building vlog, which could be fun.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this too. We'll see how the pros do it -- all of that mandated moving-office and stage-building experience that Defy gave them at work!

Hasney

I'm really looking forward to seeing this too. We'll see how the pros do it -- all of that mandated moving-office and stage-building experience that Defy gave them at work!

"And here's the office space. The guys liked the close environment of Defy so we've build in chicken coups for them to work at.

Now here's my office."

ybx3iDv.gif

Grief51

Banned
Guys relax. E3 bets are 100 % coming. It is probably the most requested thing ever since Bosman and Huber started doing them. Moreover, they always got lots of views. Not to mention it seemed like a ton of fun to film.

Easy Allies knows their audience and how much it wants Final Bets. Relax guys ;)

rtcn63

So is it just me or is there something about Ben that resembles Joffrey Baratheon when it comes to both looks and the way he speaks? :3

Ben is that kid at your high school lunch table who would talk to everyone about recent game reviews and try to invite people to his house to watch newly released anime OVA's on VHS. Friendly, nice, but you were always hesitant to accept because you couldn't tell if he was actually a secret psychopath.

Burt

Kyle playing Power Rangers with himself was hilarious, I've done similar on trophy hunts so I felt his pain.

Yeah, trophies and achievements barely make sense to me in the first place, so going to those sort of lengths will definitely never make sense at all, but damn if it wasn't entertaining.

Since they're all together on a Tuesday, they should revive trailer score for Mafia 3.
It's got me hyped, but can't help feel it shows everything Huber was worried about. Really want to know his thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom