• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
Each of your points don't seem to acknowledge any of the multiple instances where I presented plainly false information, but I'll be super clear now: I don't believe you can beat this game without grinding in the tower/repeating areas on higher difficulties, and I think that is bad. It kind of stinks when a game forces you to grind, but it is simply Bad when grinding is a limited resource (stamina).
- Even with 12,000 feathers, I still don't believe you could upgrade a 4 star to a 5 yet. 20k is an outrageous number, but so is 10 or 8.
- The training tower is designed to incentivize players to spend more stamina. It's not created to be fun or interesting. Your defense that the costs are currently reduced already seems like an admission that this thing might be stupid.
- Free potions do not make the game design better.
- Logging into MyNintendo and redeeming awards does not make the game design better.
I don't call a lot of games bad but I truly believe this one just is. I didn't just glance at this game; I played up to the final mission. I went to the training tower and replayed missions on Hard and Lunatic and even played a bunch of PVP matches. Despite some neat things, this is a free to play game designed to monetize your time. It's all normal stuff if you're used to FTP games but I really didn't think Nintendo would ever be making a game like this and it bums me out.
All this said, if I had lucked into one 5 star in any of my 25 pulls I probably would have had a better impression of the game. I'm very salty about that.

On the group steam, you essentially stated that it wasn't possible to clear through the game without investing money in it and then followed it up by asking how many five star characters Damiani had implying they were necessary as well to progress to a point further from where he was at the time. When Damani tweeted you his character levels and roster after clearing chapter nine, you replied a couple hours later with this direct quote "you must have found some secret well of experience points to get a team with these levels in one playthrough" further implying it was impossible to have reached the progression level Damani achieved without investing money.

Your clarifications posted now changes the argument, but at the time, you were presenting false information and appeared closed off to any discussion that would refute your views.

I won't dispute the notion that Fire Emblem Heroes is designed to monetize your time or that it's a flawed game, however, it's certainly not crucial to dump funds into it to progress nor are five star characters remotely required.

Everyone has a different opinion on what Nintendo should and shouldn't do, but I can't hold it against them for designing a game that falls in line with other similar games on the mobile market. Going by a couple of impressions off forums and local gatherings, it's actually a lot more manageable and fair when compared to your usual run-of-the-mill Gacha games and even Square Enix's mobile Final Fantasy entries.

I think more game sleuths and retros are what will help EZA grow in 2017, if that means Damiani or someone not doing as many streams as they are now, so be it imo. Those are the things that grab people's attention and gives them a reputation for solid, well produced original content, more so than now. Getting that stuff out in a timely manner keeps those 1000s who aren't interested in the podcasts and stuff coming back.

That's a double-edged sword in my opinion. Streams and the like are far more likely to grab the interests of a passing audience over something along the lines of Game Sleuth and Retrospective, however, those same said shows are more likely to keep someone invested once they're part of the fold compared to yet another game stream. Inside Zelda seems like a good step at producing more unique content that has the potential for a wide audience all the while not being nearly as demanding as those two shows in particular. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar from Brad and/or Ian regarding Bloodborne or the Souls series as well for an example.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Is a game bad if the RNG screws you?

If so my experience of Trico in The Last Guardian being a completely uncooperative piece of shit AI disqualifies it from being a GOTY.

(Safer Bosman just descending into this thread from high is an incredibly hype moment)

Burt

Each of your points don't seem to acknowledge any of the multiple instances where I presented plainly false information, but I'll be super clear now: I don't believe you can beat this game without grinding in the tower/repeating areas on higher difficulties, and I think that is bad. It kind of stinks when a game forces you to grind, but it is simply Bad when grinding is a limited resource (stamina).
- Even with 12,000 feathers, I still don't believe you could upgrade a 4 star to a 5 yet. 20k is an outrageous number, but so is 10 or 8.
- The training tower is designed to incentivize players to spend more stamina. It's not created to be fun or interesting. Your defense that the costs are currently reduced already seems like an admission that this thing might be stupid.
- Logging into MyNintendo and redeeming awards does not make the game design better.
I don't call a lot of games bad but I truly believe this one just is. I didn't just glance at this game; I played up to the final mission. I went to the training tower and replayed missions on Hard and Lunatic and even played a bunch of PVP matches. Despite some neat things, this is a free to play game designed to monetize your time. It's all normal stuff if you're used to FTP games but I really didn't think Nintendo would ever be making a game like this and it bums me out.
All this said, if I had lucked into one 5 star in any of my 25 pulls I probably would have had a better impression of the game. I'm very salty about that.
pQvXxXw.png

Bosman

GUILTY videogame man
On the group steam, you essentially stated that it wasn't possible to clear through the game without investing money in it and then followed it up by asking how many five star characters Damiani had implying they were necessary as well to progress to a point further from where he was at the time.

Okay I'm sorry. Honestly, I got mad when you said that there were multiple instances of me making plainly false statements that could easily be disproven. Nothing else in the past four pages has offended me, not even Luchadork, but that truly did, because I try not to do anything like that.
So I rewatched that part of the stream, and there are no easily disproven statements. You've backpedaled a bit above, with "essentially stated" and "implying" and I appreciate that. My true implication was that Damiani hadn't spent enough time in the game to be bothered by it. Now that he has completed it we're actually on a very similar page, so I think I wasn't wrong to say just "Just wait."
If you can find any direct quotes you would like to disprove I'd be interested to hear them.

Visceir

I do wonder what the split on casual vs more dedicated players is for mobile games like Fire Emblem Heroes is. The places I usually read have people rerolling for double 5* unit accounts and easily blazing through the game -- what I heard on the stream was a completely different perspective.

Not really interested in debating if the game is bad or good but it does feel like Kyle went into the game with false expectations.

Those kind of games usually do get events and updates on a regular basis and will probably have much more content and QoL changes six months or one year down the line from now (including being able to level and evolve your units faster).

Anaithsol

Neo Member
Okay I'm sorry. Honestly, I got mad when you said that there were multiple instances of me making plainly false statements that could easily be disproven. Nothing else in the past four pages has offended me, not even Luchadork, but that truly did, because I try not to do anything like that.
So I rewatched that part of the stream, and there are no easily disproven statements. You've backpedaled a bit above, with "essentially stated" and "implying" and I appreciate that. My true implication was that Damiani hadn't spent enough time in the game to be bothered by it. Now that he has completed it we're actually on a very similar page, so I think I wasn't wrong to say just "Just wait."
If you can find any direct quotes you would like to disprove I'd be interested to hear them.

Fair enough, I can see where I was perhaps being a bit harsh with my initial statement where instead my recent post would be better suited. I still believe you went in a little too hard with claiming the game was a cash grab and nothing more while appearing annoyed and closed off with the discussion both vocally and physically.

As for direct quotes, here's what stood out to me as antagonistic and/or misleading:

(38:16 - 38:50) "How far are you? A couple hours? Good job Damiani! You're still in its little honey trap!"

(38:52 - 39:36) "I'll hear it when you're sitting at level 8. Yeah. Stamina's been around since day one? Sure, sure, sure. Tell me how to get to level five star. Tell me how to get a four star to a five star."

(42:01 - 42:47) "Damiani, tell me how to turn a four star unit into a five star unit. Just tell me how to do it. Tell me how to do it. How many five star units you got? How many five star units do you have? Okay. Damiani, get to level nine... get to chapter nine. Okay. Do it. Get there."

(42:48 - 42:57) "Damiani, it gets purposely hard so that you grind in other modes so that you use up your stamina so that you spend more money on the game. Yeah."

42:58 to 43:36 is just personal opinions and not something I'll personally dispute as I don't particularly enjoy mobile game design let alone the Gacha variety. I do believe though that it's not very fair to compare Fire Emblem Heroes to mainline Fire Emblem entries simply due to its nature and platform.

I didn't include Damiani's responses as it's a lot of effort on my part, however, you can hear the discussion at its near entirety using the times I listed. As for the follow-up on Twitter, that can be seen using this link.

In any case, the last two quotes carry the heaviest messaging in that you're pushing five star units and money as a requirement. The Twitter response further builds upon that messaging that monetary investment is required and you can't simply level up via normal means.

Both those implications are easily disproved. Don't get me wrong, I understand that the game can be frustrating especially at the later stages if you don't put money in or have five star units, however, at no point are either required of the user to progress through or enjoy the game.

I do wonder what the split on casual vs more dedicated players is for mobile games like Fire Emblem Heroes is. The places I usually read have people rerolling for double 5* unit accounts and easily blazing through the game -- what I heard on the stream was a completely different perspective.

Not really interested in debating if the game is bad or good but it does feel like Kyle went into the game with false expectations.

Those kind of games usually do get events and updates on a regular basis and will probably have much more content and QoL changes six months or one year down the line from now (including being able to level and evolve your units faster).

Going by the last few comments that discussion had and one he made here, Kyle expected something along the lines of a mainline Fire Emblem instead of your typical Gacha game with Fire Emblem flair attached. I'm not going to fault him for that, but I do think it's incredibly dismissive to knock Fire Emblem Heroes on the fact that it's not that and instead your usual mobile game.

I do imagine some of these more immediate concerns will be addressed in some form as time goes on and the game properly fleshes out. In fact, Nintendo already seems to be responding by hosting new promotional events that are giving out items such as feathers, stamina potions, and dual crests.

Thread use to be so jolly :(

I'm really sorry if it seems I'm trying to be argumentative for the sake of it as that's not the intention. I genuinely want to see Easy Allies succeed, and I feel that suggestions and criticisms should be encouraged if delivered in a way that's not just dismissive or insulting.

This is spot on and true of basically all gacha games. They all suffer in terms of game design because they are built as business models first, and games second. Even the best examples with the most lavish presentation, generous f2p models and interesting mechanics are ultimately hollow and compromised by the rarity models which distorts difficulty and incentivizes gambling on pulls. They also have an imperative to never end so you end up with treadmill-like progression and stories that never complete, but go nowhere.

It's really tragic. Some have really clever aspects, and there are parts of what could be a brilliant game spread across half a dozen titles, but right now all those innovations are built entirely around the psychology of creating pressure points which convert free players to paying users.

So

Does anyone have any strong political opinions in here
This is exactly what I was alluding too lol. I was interested in maybe getting into Watching kinda funny but goddamn I high tailed it outta that community thread so quick and the Colin guy kinda ruined any plans I and to watch anyway. Would hate to see this thread like that constantly

Budi

So

What I would like to see is EZA talking about that Bombergirl "controversy"! Not sure it's something that Kyle want's to bring up in a podcast :p He does love to start podcasts with game announcements though! And actually I would like to hear their views on games similar to that and overall on the sexualization and representation of female characters in games. They already touched upon that with the discussion of Shantae in Frame Trap.

Anticol

Banned
I do like the gifts opening and I see nothing wrong in people sending gifts to the allies, probably most of the people doing it are supporters already, saying money would be more valuable than gifts depends on the person and asking people instead of sending gifts support with more money is kind of a shitty attitude, people do whatever they want with their money.

After saying that I do think opening gifts should be done once a month and probably not on stream or more like doing a video out of it, more like the mailbags GB records once in a while.

So

Hah we have the OT board for that. It's 90% political these days

So I'm catching up on the Kyle Tetris steam. I love fulcrum. The transformer that wants to be evil and the deceptions don't like him around. Awesome character

Also his level 15-19 Game Is so much improved from when he started. If he can ever learn to survive level 20 he'd break the record

Anaithsol

Neo Member
Huber's hype is almost getting me to buy For Honor this week. The beta is a ton of fun with friends.

I really want to be excited with the upcoming release of For Honor, but I'm going to hold off until there's a couple more updates in place and a more proper gauge for determining the longevity of the game on both the PlayStation 4 and PC.

Regardless, Huber's hype and addiction with For Honor is an absolute joy to watch and listen to.

Roubjon

I really want to love For Honor, but after playing the beta for a while there's just something missing for me. There is so much good there: it's super fun, looks great, seems pretty deep, it's really intense. So maybe it's just not anime enough lol. I'd definitely pick it up for a lower price though.

Mista Koo

Yep, it's a f2p gacha game. Is a gambling game badly designed if it incentives gambling?

I would understand the criticism if it was coming from someone who is against blind boxes or anti-consumer behavior in general. But hey, it's ok to dislike games.

@Blood (because I know he wanders around here)

I'm watching Cup of Jones at the moment and I heard Brandon's not sure about streaming the anniversary meetup, because it would feel less special for those going there.

No, please do stream it. I'm sure you know that your fans aren't limited to the USA and many (like me) can't possibly spend lots of money and time to get there on the 21st. The first anniversary event is a huge milestone for you and for all of us, and I would really feel bummed and left out as a fan (for the first time ever), if I couldn't partecipate in some measure.

That's a very good reason to be here! TTE is something special.

Anyway, you may try the fancast about TTE, it may make the wait more bearable: https://twitter.com/TTExplacades?s=09

I hope they provide some sort of video content for the meet up. I live in the UK and there is no way I could ever attend one of these EZA meet ups. I really wish I could but life and all that.

It would be good to get some insight into what happens at the meetup for those of us who have no possible way of attending because of geography.

I hope they provide some sort of video content for the meet up. I live in the UK and there is no way I could ever attend one of these EZA meet ups. I really wish I could but life and all that.

It would be good to get some insight into what happens at the meetup for those of us who have no possible way of attending because of geography.

I honestly didn't even consider that there wouldn't be some type of content for those who can't attend.

Also, the notion that it shouldn't be streamed, because it would somehow make it any less "special" for those attending doesn't feel lovely and respectful towards those who simply cannot go to the event and there are tons of reasons why some can't be there, disability being one of them, living on a different continent being another. It feels weirdly exclusive towards others, which is not something I associate with Easy Allies.

E: Finally watched Cup of Jones and of course he confirmed that there is going to be content from the event online. Not sure why exactly I got so riled up. Sorry for that.

I'd rather just have more quality shows personally. Specific goals in mind where an ally gets an Adobe Cloud account or whatever to learn and cut more video content (or make time? Does Ian cut anything thats not Easy Update?). It is honestly not that hard once youre set up with audio and music and get to grips with opening and closing clipping brackets.

Don just shows up randomly with these perfectly cut shows, and I feel it should be lighting a fire under some of the other allies. We definitely didn't get enough Tales From Japan, because Ben was new at that and learning, but I would have settled for more photo slideshows with audio rather than just 2 and forgotten. Anime podcast and Frame Trap are great content though, as is Tabletop and all the massive reviews he does. There has however only been 2 Game Sleuth episodes in 7 months. Reading a Zelda manual for an hour seems like an incredibly bad use of time and is not "a show". "Story Time With The Allies" is a pretty dreadful stretch goal (evidence by 40k not being an impetus to the fanbase) because thats what every week of content is anyway, especially things like Talking Syndrome and Cup of Jones.

I said earlier that EZA need to be doing Best Of compilations, because thats the way to net new viewers with essentially demo reels and trailers of what fun can be had by buying in on this outfit. New users need to see whats the fuss about these 3-6 hour streams and podcasts in clipped out form. A random twitter user puts together a Hottake reel, and its like... yes. This shit isn't hard and is just a better use of time for expansion.

We're almost a year in, its been fun times. I know they're doing a lot already (Community Comments while good at getting peoples pledge money in seems like a huge timesink I don't ever watch or care about) But if they ever want to hit that 50k, they need to get their time balancing a bit better and put more into content thats going to draw new viewership.

I just want to say that I completely agree with all of the above (clipped out the first parts, because I don't watch Twitch) and I love you right now, because you saved me a lot of time to write up something similar, while expressing it better than I probably would've. Thank you.

Auctopus

I saw Bosman and Damiani went to a Zelda escape room. I'm guessing cameras are off-limits in there as otherwise that would make a great Easy Update.

Kneefoil

I think you can beat normal story mode in FE Heroes without grinding, if you have a good team composition, but that obviously is very dependent on how lucky you've been. Beating the story on Hard is tougher, though, and I've had to do some grinding for later parts of it. The stamina requirements are getting kind of ridiculous as well.

Piers

Is Kyle still recording Digimon World, or was that a one-off spur?
Was fun watching him go through highs and lows of the unpredictable evolutions and fights

Anaithsol

Neo Member
I think you can beat normal story mode in FE Heroes without grinding, if you have a good team composition, but that obviously is very dependent on how lucky you've been. Beating the story on Hard is tougher, though, and I've had to do some grinding for later parts of it. The stamina requirements are getting kind of ridiculous as well.

It's possible but dependent on your initial roll at the start and the following rolls after clearing a couple of the easier chapters. Even then, it really depends on your definition of grinding. For some folks, doing just one or two extra side mission and repeating a main mission is considered grinding whereas for others it means doing a number of side missions as well as repeating story missions be it on the same difficulty or a harder version.

Hard and Lunatic mode are clearly more designed to sink your time thus calling for a fair amount of grinding and character optimization. Both can be done without spending a cent, however, it's going to take patience since stamina is refilled roughly every four hours naturally unless you use a potion.

There's already ways to avoid said droughts via My Nintendo and the current promotional events if you can't wait but aren't looking to spend money. Regardless, I'll admit that it's certainly a problem where stamina is easily depleted once you're at the late stages of the game.

Auctopus

Let's wash away all this mobile game negativity with some L&R...

EASY UPDATE WAS GREAT THIS WEEK!

I don't know why it's enjoyable to just watch a couple Allies walk about somewhere but it is. The main chunk of this episode reminded me of the Mandatory Update when they went down to that italian restaraunt Kyle likes (I call myself a GT fan and I can't even remember the name) and parkour'd the way back.

edit: Part of me think it might have been a Final Bosman episode now.

Auctopus

You guys weren't kidding about Damiani in the latest podcast. He looks like he's lost the will to live. Definitely not a happy bunny.

I didn't really see it, what were you guys expecting him to do? When the into ends, the four of them are sitting there laughing together. He just looks like he phases out or concentrates through the podcast - nothing looks wrong or unusual to me? He's laughing throughout the game too.

I really hope we're not becoming one of those communities or fanhoods that needs to dream up drama for no reason.

MrMette

I didn't really see it, what were you guys expecting him to do? When the into ends, the four of them are sitting there laughing together. He just looks like he phases out or concentrates through the podcast - nothing looks wrong or unusual to me? He's laughing throughout the game too.

I really hope we're not becoming one of those communities or fanhoods that needs to dream up drama for no reason.

I don't see it either. His reactions are maybe somewhat different compared to most of the allies, but I don't see anything wrong with it. That said, I have had people saying I looked angry when I was just standing around/concentrating, doing nothing in particular. So I guess some people just see stuff which isn't there when people have different facial expressions then a lot of other people when they are concentrating.

I enjoyed the podcast and imo nothing was out of the ordinary. I also hope this community will stay the joly L&R place it was before.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
You guys weren't kidding about Damiani in the latest podcast. He looks like he's lost the will to live. Definitely not a happy bunny.

The latest podcast felt off in many ways, but I don't think it's because Damiani was incredibly unhappy or that the Fire Emblem Heroes discussion earlier in the group stream soured the mood. He seemed pretty much his usual self, but it was clear that the Like Potato didn't hit the anticipation/appreciation level Kyle expected with the other allies just going by their reactions.

The Discord server had a small discussion regarding the podcast, and the general opinion was that the flow just wasn't there and the Like Potato wasn't a good idea at all.

I don't see it either. His reactions are maybe somewhat different compared to most of the allies, but I don't see anything wrong with it. That said, I have had people saying I looked angry when I was just standing around/concentrating, doing nothing in particular. So I guess some people just see stuff which isn't there when people have different facial expressions then a lot of other people when they are concentrating.

I enjoyed the podcast and imo nothing was out of the ordinary. I also hope this community will stay the joly L&R place it was before.

I get these sort of reactions all the time when I'm reading something or paying particular attention to a conversation or thing in general. I cut a lot of slack when it comes to Damiani due to this as his demeanor and way of approaching things is very similar to how I am myself. All in all, I don't think it's very fair for people to label him as unhappy or upset when he's not particularly doing anything different from what he normally does.

I believe the recent Q&A had him address this issue where just because he doesn't show the same outward enthusiasm level as the other allies doesn't mean he isn't as excited or interested as them inward. It's a matter of perspective to be sure, but it really does suck that folks interpret you the wrong way just because you're not yelling out loud or constantly gushing over something.

Auctopus

Going on a long flight tomorrow. It's at times like these I wish Tabletop was available in podcast form so I could do some more catching up.

Going on a long flight tomorrow. It's at times like these I wish Tabletop was available in podcast form so I could do some more catching up.
You should just rip the audio from YouTube, obviously they don't do it for quality control/etc but it's an easy way to make due

Auctopus

You should just rip the audio from YouTube, obviously they don't do it for quality control/etc but it's an easy way to make due

Damn, i didn't even think of that because i only use Spotify to listen to music on my phone. Hopefully, EZA know that I'm ripping their videos out of love. Thanks.

I hope Huber streams some more For Honor. That's been one of my favorites to watch in the background as I work. Something about it when it's the background (with little to no engagement) works compared to other games which might require a bit more attentiveness.

Giever

Has Kyle ever played Custom Robo? I feel like it would make a great Fun Game Monday game. It really feels like it has the structure of Pokemon Trading Card Game as well.

I hope Huber streams some more For Honor. That's been one of my favorites to watch in the background as I work. Something about it when it's the background (with little to no engagement) works compared to other games which might require a bit more attentiveness.

I bet we'll get a nice juicy stream once the game launches.

Huber Ben and Bosman playing in the beta was one of my favourite streams recently.

I bet we'll get a nice juicy stream once the game launches.

Huber Ben and Bosman playing in the beta was one of my favourite streams recently.

Haha, yes! I've actually been super swamped with work and have gone and watched all of the videos (in my wait for more). Huber + Ben from the closed beta was great as well.

Budi

Yup, I thought the same myself when I watched the podcast and read comments here before that. Also your last sentence is something that really pisses me off when I see that happening.

Yup, I thought the same myself when I watched the podcast and read comments here before that. Also your last sentence is something that really pisses me off when I see that happening.

I had no idea that there was even an issue until I read it here tbh.

Budi

I had no idea that there was even an issue until I read it here tbh.

I also watched the Group Stream later and I actually wan't more debates like that between EZA. I mean the Fire Emblem discussion with Damiani and Kyle. Loved the "Most Divisive" games Top 10 at Gametrailers too. Bringing another perspective and opinion on games can be beneficial to us viewers when we are looking for game recommendations by EZA crew.

For me it wasn't just Damiani being quiet for long stretches. That happens with him if it's not a topic he's comfortable discussing. The reason I think you saw that speculation was the whole night was off. The group stream Kyle seemed on edge. Then Kyle was messing up a ton of podcast formatting. And then when Damiani would talk it was a lot of mumbled words that were hard to hear and very short responses when Kyle tried to get Damiani to engage. It got better at the end.

I don't think it's people making up drama. Its just people putting two things together that watched both. I don't think they were mad at each other But Regardless I felt the products of both weren't up to their usual consistently great stuff. If others didn't see it that way that's fine.

I also watched the Group Stream later and I actually wan't more debates like that between EZA. I mean the Fire Emblem discussion with Damiani and Kyle. Loved the "Most Divisive" games Top 10 at Gametrailers too. Bringing another perspective and opinion on games can be beneficial to us viewers when we are looking for game recommendations by EZA crew.

yeah I love that they actually have different opinions on stuff; like with TLG.

They are a group of 9 so if all of them had the same opinions it would be boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom