• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebayer complaining about a purchase

belgurdo

Banned
Sold someone a copy of Ninja Gaiden, and they mailed me back this afternoon complaning about the game not running on their box due to scratches and dirty disc error. Although I know about the scratches (as they're all in one spot and are too light to hurt the loading on my own box anyway), I wanted to know about the dde. That's usually a hard drive thing, isn't it?

belgurdo said:
Sold someone a copy of Ninja Gaiden, and they mailed me back this afternoon complaning about the game not running on their box due to scratches and dirty disc error. Although I know about the scratches (as they're all in one spot and are too light to hurt the loading on my own box anyway), I wanted to know about the dde. That's usually a hard drive thing, isn't it?
While it might have something to do with the hard drive, theyre probably called dirty DISC errors for a reason, eh?

:D

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
its mostly the DVD drive from what I can gather, it can also be caused by the HDD

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
belgurdo said:

How could a "dirty disc error" be referring to the hard drive?

Did you tell the guy he was getting a scratched disc before you sold it to him?

IJoel

belgurdo said:

Ninja Gaiden is a game that relies on a lot of streaming from the dvd drive. If the person has an Xbox with a Thomson drive that's going bad, that's most likely what's happening.

I don't know if you can do much about that though.

belgurdo

Banned
DavidDayton said:
How could a "dirty disc error" be referring to the hard drive?

Did you tell the guy he was getting a scratched disc before you sold it to him?

I usually do but I didn't bother this particular time because the game's not so ridiculously scratched that it couldn't be played. (After all, If a nicked-to-hell copy of Vice City runs like it's factory sealed on my machine, then I have no doubts that a barely played NG with four nicks on it would either.) I told 'em to try it on a different Box and I'd refund them if it happened again (when I got the game back from them, of course)

toohectic

I think you should always mention damage like scratches and stuff. Something that seems insignificant to you might not be so insignificant to the buyer.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
toohectic said:
I think you should always mention damage like scratches and stuff. Something that seems insignificant to you might not be so insignificant to the buyer.

I dont, if im looking around and i see "lightly scratched" on an auction, i get images of the seller going at the CD with a knitting needle. If it doesnt affect playing the game, and you are prepared to refund it if it doesnt work, then theres no need to mention it.

belgurdo

Banned
Ghost said:
I dont, if im looking around and i see "lightly scratched" on an auction, i get images of the seller going at the CD with a knitting needle. If it doesnt affect playing the game, and you are prepared to refund it if it doesnt work, then theres no need to mention it.

That's what I usually do until saying "lightly scratched" in my auction for Tactics Ogre ended up netting me only $25 in the process, so naturally I wanted to avoid doing that in the future.

NotMSRP

I disagree about being dishonest to yield higher bids. Your item isn't worth much if it is damaged. You could jeopardize your rating for dishonesty and deal with much more problematic issues because of concealing valuable information.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's what I usually do until saying "lightly scratched" in my auction for Tactics Ogre ended up netting me only $25 in the process, so naturally I wanted to avoid doing that in the future.

Well, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your auctions then...in order to avoid them... ;)

Seriously, though...how on earth are your games getting so scratched? Almost all of my games are 99% perfect. I mean, I can grab any Dreamcast launch game from my collection and it will be flawless. What do you do with your discs?

Honestly, not including that information is a very dis-honest thing to do and would seriously piss me off. While this is a little more extreme, a friend of mine purchased a copy of Klonoa on eBay. The seller claimed the disc was in good condition...but that's it. When he recieved it, there was no manual and the disc had a massive Hollywood Video sticker plastered over the top of it. Sure, the disc wasn't scratched...but the package was total shit. The seller totally failed to mention any of this.

Oh well, I generally avoid eBay altogether for this reason. Most people just don't take care of their stuff, so I don't trust any of the sellers.

belgurdo

Banned
dark10x said:
Well, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your auctions then...in order to avoid them... ;)

Seriously, though...how on earth are your games getting so scratched? Almost all of my games are 99% perfect. I mean, I can grab any Dreamcast launch game from my collection and it will be flawless. What do you do with your discs?

Honestly, not including that information is a very dis-honest thing to do and would seriously piss me off. While this is a little more extreme, a friend of mine purchased a copy of Klonoa on eBay. The seller claimed the disc was in good condition...but that's it. When he recieved it, there was no manual and the disc had a massive Hollywood Video sticker plastered over the top of it. Sure, the disc wasn't scratched...but the package was total shit. The seller totally failed to mention any of this.

Oh well, I generally avoid eBay altogether for this reason. Most people just don't take care of their stuff, so I don't trust any of the sellers.

Usually I just sit my discs on my desk since they don't move around much and I switch games a lot. They get a lot of surface scratches but nothing that makes the game unplayable or increases load times. I've never gotten a complaint yet until now so I guess most people aren't too picky when the game is cheap (plus like I mentioned the game had like three or four surface scratches in one spot, but the game ran fine anyway when I tested it prior to shipping-hence the "good." Otherwise I would have said the disc was flawless if there was nothing on it, or I wouldn't have sold it at all if it didn't work.) And don't try to paint me as some kind of dishonest pirate or something because the game didn't work and I had one bad deal. Shit happens, and it's not like I'm sitting here scouring pawn shops for loose discs or burning .iso files and then printing covers off the net and selling then as "near mint" copies

Shompola

Banned
I am very very picky about scratches even if the game works flawless. LOL I have returned a lot of DVD's because of them having scratches.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
NotMSRP said:
Always assume every auction vewier is an anal collector. That way you will always be in the safe.

This is true. But also the collectors out there share some of the responsibility. Whenever I buy games on eBay I always email the seller to get an exact discription of the item if I feel that they have left something out. Typical questions include:

1. Is the photograph in the auction representative of the game that I will receive? In other words, the photograph shows that it is a non-greatest hits copy. It's non-greatest hits right?

You'd be surprised how many times people will respond with "actually it's the GH version".

2. For any games with card board boxes I ask: "What is the condition of the box?" "Are there any creases, tears, jagged edges, etc?" I ask the same about intructions.

Of course I also ask about the condition of the disc as well.

I just seems to me that if you are serious about collecting you need to do a little work and ask the seller questions before you purchase the item. I know that my standards are ridiculously high when it comes to the condition of the games that I buy. Therefore I don't expect the seller to have the same standards that I do and I'm not about to hold them to my admittedly ridiculous standards. Of course if I buy a game and it's loaded with scratches, it's a GH, and the instructions are torn (even after I specifically asked about them)... well then there will be a problem.

Tabs

I'm not going to get into the morality part of this discussion, but light scratches on the disc have nothing to do with him getting a dirty disc error. I had a first run XBox and could not play Ninja Gaiden for the life of me. It would lock up within Ryu's first few steps. A DVD disc cleaner let me piece together the game for an hour or so at a time, but the only real solution is a new DVD drive or a new XBox.

belgurdo

Banned
Trav said:
I'm not going to get into the morality part of this discussion, but light scratches on the disc have nothing to do with him getting a dirty disc error. I had a first run XBox and could not play Ninja Gaiden for the life of me. It would lock up within Ryu's first few steps. A DVD disc cleaner let me piece together the game for an hour or so at a time, but the only real solution is a new DVD drive or a new XBox.

Hmm...they'll probably won't want to hear that (or believe me.) I'll probably just offer them again to exhange me the game for their cash back then

Top Bottom