• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDF Insect Armageddon |OT| There is no magnifying glass big enough

this game might be fucking garbage.

or it might be ok?

i can't even tell. literally one minute to the next i feel completely different about it.

and has anyone figured out this mission structure yet? i did two missions and unlocked some stuff and "quit" because i wanted to see if had to equip the new stuff or whatever, but when i went back in it started me back on the first mission again? but i retained all my earned credits? but then i could only pick the two armor types i hadn't already picked? the fuck is this.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Rabbitwork said:
and has anyone figured out this mission structure yet? i did two missions and unlocked some stuff and "quit" because i wanted to see if had to equip the new stuff or whatever, but when i went back in it started me back on the first mission again? but i retained all my earned credits? but then i could only pick the two armor types i hadn't already picked? the fuck is this.
It makes you unlock the 4 types as you progress, but on the loadout screen you can choose any of the 4 armor types just like you would weapons. I didn't understand it at first either, but the option is there.

Rabbitwork said:
this game might be fucking garbage.

or it might be ok?

i can't even tell. literally one minute to the next i feel completely different about it.

push the D-pad right and you can select the other missions.

p.s. regarding the armor types: press X and you can pick the other armor types. it's just the 2 you haven't picked yet you have to "unlock" by pressing Y. but if you didn't want to use either of the ones that aren't "unlocked", just press X to use the others.

the game kind of does a poor job explaining how to do stuff :/

FrenchMovieTheme said:
push the D-pad right and you can select the other missions.

p.s. regarding the armor types: press X and you can pick the other armor types. it's just the 2 you haven't picked yet you have to "unlock" by pressing Y. but if you didn't want to use either of the ones that aren't "unlocked", just press X to use the others.

the game kind of does a poor job explaining how to do stuff :/
yeah i figured out the armor type about 10 seconds after posting, figured i'd do the same for the other stuff eventually. i know we're all "anti-manuals" these days but jesus the game could've at least come with SOMETHING explaining the basic structure.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Who came up with the idea of 'stand in a certain are and shoot at things in the air until they're all gone to proceed?' because I really hate this idea

zoner said:
Who came up with the idea of 'stand in a certain are and shoot at things in the air until they're all gone to proceed?' because I really hate this idea
EDF has always had those moments. they've never been fun. ever.

got through 1-4, game is awesome so far. the parts where you have pretty much beaten the area but have to "clean up" a few stragglers are annoying but what are you gonna do?

the weapons are pretty sweet as usual although i have only gotten 1 weapon drop in the 4 levels i've played. maybe it's because i'm playing on normal. like i said before graphics seem much improved.

i liked the mission structure better in EDF2017 (more levels but they are much shorter), but i can live with 15 levels when they are this length

Rabbitwork said:
yeah i figured out the armor type about 10 seconds after posting, figured i'd do the same for the other stuff eventually. i know we're all "anti-manuals" these days but jesus the game could've at least come with SOMETHING explaining the basic structure.

well there doesn't need to be a paper manual to explain that stuff. there should be in-game explanations. it's almost like they just assumed anyone playing is a long time EDF fan and knows what's going on but the problem is even as a fan of the last game i was a bit confused on the samethings you were (changing class, selecting stages, etc)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How long does it take to complete a level? Are there at least checkpoints you can load within the levels? Longer levels sounds shitty.

Wario64 said:
How long does it take to complete a level? Are there at least checkpoints you can load within the levels? Longer levels sounds shitty.

they aren't THAT long. maybe 20-30 mins max, there are no check points

purg3

slept with Malkin
Picked up my reserve earlier. Don't think I will have too many people on my friends list playing this, so send me a friend request for some coop (360 gt is same as my user name).

I finished the first 4 levels splitscreen and it's definitely growing on me. We've gotten about half a dozen weapon drops so far, but can't use most of them yet. There are some audio glitches that cropped up a couple times on the PS3 version. The levels might not be very long compared to most games, but compared to EDF2, they are like several levels strung together. Ticks are gross.

BrassMonkey1010 said:
How are people getting this now? I though it was coming out on the 5th?
Nope Gamestop started selling it today. No one knows why. In fact I got lucky and got my copy yesterday.

Magnus

Man, I had no idea the first game was this popular. Seemed like complete shovelware trash for the ten minutes I played it. People were angrily trying to return it at the EB I worked at, claiming it was terrible, lol.

Should I be giving it another chance? I dig campy Starship Troopers-esque alien motifs.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Magnus said:
Man, I had no idea the first game was this popular. Seemed like complete shovelware trash for the ten minutes I played it. People were angrily trying to return it at the EB I worked at, claiming it was terrible, lol.

Should I be giving it another chance? I dig campy Starship Troopers-esque alien motifs.
It's a fun B-list game. Anyone expecting more than that is bound to be disappointed. A lot of the market won't touch anything that's not AAA.

Magnus said:

It's considered a cult classic. It never really appealed to the average gamer.

Magnus said:

Idk, either you love it or hate it. the appeal is taking on massive bugs and thrashing them with the city structues. nothing ground breaking here, just an entertaining arcade shooter with light leveling up/looting. If you can dig that then edf is for you. It is best played co op, but it is a fun single player game

okay this game is a BLAST online.

been playing randoms and its totally balls out insanity. your AI partners in-game keep it pretty clean, but online with real humans its just crazy rockets and explosions.

add me on XBL: Jon Rabbit.

also does anyone know if the point values go higher in the harder difficulties? maxing out all 4 classes seems like it could take a very long time.

game is still light years away from 2017; but it is enjoyable

Will be buying this when I get paid on Tuesday. My GT is the same as my profile name. I don't play many shooters, but when I do, I make sure its EDF.

Shiv47

Anyone wants to add me on 360, gt is same as GAF username. As for the game, I played the first two levels of chapter one, and it's...okay. I preferred seeing the bugs bounce around and shit when I shot them, rather than get vaporized. I dislike the separation of jumping and rolling as well, and would have preferred an option to remap buttons, as I keep wanting to go to 2017's button layout rather than the new one.

I had to restart the second chapter, as the game quit and kicked me back to the 360 dashboard midway through, costing me two weapon drops. I did find the jet armor fairly pointless, at least in terms of flying, as you can barely stay in the air long enough to do anything. I'll be interested to see mission length at the higher difficulty setting (I played on Normal to sample things), as the missions aren't very long, or at least did not seem significantly longer than 2017's levels.

Enjoying this game so far! I too was disappointed by the "15 levels" thing. But with Remix mode this is more like 30 and then you've the 3 difficulty levels. Besides that, I jumped into a Survival Mode and that shit gets hectic. A really good inclusion.

I hope it gets some DLC, though.

Also, my gamertag is GrandHarrier. Would enjoy some GAF games.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
The differences between classes adds quite a bit of depth to a traditionally shallow shooter model.

The ability to plant mines, radar and mounted guns as the Tactical class alone makes for really engaging gameplay. Can't wait to play more, enjoying the hell out of this game!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They might as well take the next logical step and make it a rogue-like. Random levels, fat loot, and drop-in/drop-out online co-op.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'll second the class commentary.

Playing as the assault, running to a spawn hill, screaming "DON'T WORRY, I GOT THIS!" and killing EVERYTHING that was hissing and picking at you, in one blushing orb of death, visable by your lighter armored friends in the distance, is a very EDF 2017-ish experience.

...except now it isn't suicide with an explosive weapon, as it's now an actual feature.

I'm starting to hear classic sounds like groups of spiders "popping" as they're taken out. Fighitng near landmarks aganist enemies of the land and air is beginning to feel hectic. Multiple mini-hectors backed with ticks, ants, spiders, ships, and active reload, all demanding attention, is starting to feel appropriately chaotic.

The Liviticus series of missle launchers makes taking on flying enemies fairly easy. The Lock-On priority is fantastic, too; it'll seek out small ships and proper-ranged targets when in normal fighting, but it specifically aims for Spawn-ship weakpoints WHEN YOU WANT IT TO. That's a EASY thing for a budget game to get wrong, but they handled it very well.

I'm saving other armor classes for later plays. First time through normal, I'm sticking with assault, couch-co-op partner is sticking with jet. We've enjoyed the variety we've brought to the battlefield.

Oh, and I've encounted a new version of an old EDF glitch; In EDF, if you fell through the floor somehow, you would keep faling.... until you "fell" back into the world, from out of the sky. It... made no sense, but that was nice.

In this game, a tank I was in was flipped 100+ feet into the air, which was amazingly hilarious. It came back down, and fell through the floor. I thought I was stuck, but as soon as I exited the tank, and tried to land on the ground, my character died, and respawned on a "safe" position, where I could be revived. I easily prefer this, to being stuck underground and having to restart the game!

Just on the 2nd mission of chapter 2 now, but I'm already very happy with the purchase. I like how the announcer woman seems to think some of these things sound just as ridiculous as we do! "That's all you can tell us? REALLY?!?" :lol:

15 stages + 4 armors + remix + survival sounds like a lot to experience... but holding off on how I feel about it all together, until at least completing the game once. EDF isn't true EDF until INFERNO, after all!

Chromax

What a day! Called my Gamestop to make sure they have the PS3 version in stock and they said they do and they can sell it since the street date got moved up. I head there and they told me they only have it for 360 and they wanted me to come down to see if I wanted to buy that one instead or if there's anything else I'm interested in.

Didn't manage find a magazine rack on my way out since they put all their magazines on the counter now...

taoofjord

Damn it, I love EDF but I'm not sure about this one. The simple fact that the bugs disappear right away takes so much away from the game. Also, the explosions are nowhere near as good as they were in 2017. In fact, most of it seems less interesting than 2017... but the corpses disappearing is the biggest offender.

Still, I'll probably get this anyway. Hoping for some reviews, and opinions from EDF fans after they've played it for a while (and the hype has ran its course).

taoofjord said:
Damn it, I love EDF but I'm not sure about this one. The simple fact that the bugs disappear right away takes so much away from the game. Also, the explosions are nowhere near as good as they were in 2017. In fact, most of it seems less interesting than 2017... but the corpses disappearing is the biggest offender.

Still, I'll probably get this anyway. Hoping for some reviews, and opinions from EDF fans after they've played it for a while (and the hype has ran its course).
i had the exact same reactions to the game in the first hour. it gets better (the disappearing thing doesn't really bother me) the more weapons/tiers you unlock i assure you. i'm still not 100% sure on if this game is "good" but i can see some of the reasoning behind vicious cycles decisions on certain things.

i guess if anything i will come to "accept" this as an EDF game. just not the BEST EDF game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
taoofjord said:
The simple fact that the bugs disappear right away takes so much away from the game.

It still has some EDF Stupid-Physics, however. Hit an enemey that DOESN'T die from an explosion, and he'll sail across the screen, as is appropriate. Also, later enemies seem to possibly dissapear slower when killed? I've shot missles at anthills, and watched multiple flaming bodies ping-pong off walls and the like.

Also, I kinda like flying, flaming cars being tossed at ya, in place of the bodies. One actually... means something to gameplay. The other is just cosmetic. They don't toss cars often, however, but wish they did!

taoofjord said:
Also, the explosions are nowhere near as good as they were in 2017. In fact, most of it seems less interesting than 2017... but the corpses disappearing is the biggest offender.

The explosions are a bit off, btu the sound effects and after-effects of corpses flying still remain. In some ways, though, I think it's a way to make the wider selection of weapons more varied. When you get something that boombs, it booms very nicely.

The varied armor classes and special abilities really seem to help balance the subtractions from tradition, however.

I look forward to seeing how much the higher-tier weapons and difficulties step up the insanity.

As someone who loved the last two, I approve of this US made EDF. Only an hour or so in with a co-op online (which if FLAWLESS) buddy but this really seems like the best a US made (but still budget) EDF could be. Really enjoying the different character classes and abilities the most (loved Borderlands).

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Gah! They sold out at the GS where my friend lives. So now i gotta wait till the 5th to play more of it. So i dont out level him. God damn it why only sell it early at one store?

taoofjord said:

The reason the bodies disappear so quickly is because they basically have to, or the game would be laggy as hell online. And from the comments I've read it seems that the net code is quite good. Good net code > having bodies stay around, which could potentially be in the way of your explosive weapons.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Rygar 8 Bit said:
Gah! They sold out at the GS where my friend lives. So now i gotta wait till the 5th to play more of it. So i dont out level him.

Just keep a class unplayed, that you'd like to play with him. Then you can level right along side his character. You might have a few more powerful weapons, but the Tiers should keep you mostly balanced.

AndyMoogle said:
The reason the bodies disappear so quickly is because they basically have to or the game would be laggy as hell online. And from the comments I've read it seems that the net code is quite good. Well worth the trade off imo.

A good point; people always ask "why doesn't X game have online play?!?!" but rarely seem to think about how online can seriously change the finer details of games.

Given that line of thinking, they did a rather solid job.

definately having a blast with this. Feels A LOT more polished than 2017, but WAY LESS campy and quirky that gave 2017 some character.

I'm going through with the Battle armor and it feels like a grind with the Tier 1 & 2 weapons. I have yet to find a satisfying Rocket/Missile Launcher for the Battle class. I wish some time later that weapons can crossover to classes...

I'm stuck on 2-5, Normal...ugh

Giant Robot said:
definately having a blast with this. Feels A LOT more polished than 2017, but WAY LESS campy and quirky that gave 2017 some character.

I'm going through with the Battle armor and it feels like a grind with the Tier 1 & 2 weapons. I have yet to find a satisfying Rocket/Missile Launcher for the Battle class. I wish some time later that weapons can crossover to classes...

I'm stuck on 2-5, Normal...ugh
i really like the dos tortugas for battle class. they're slower than shit but i've managed to find a good pace with them for now. plus they destroy EVERYTHING.

IrishNinja

Giant Robot said:

aw, see that sounds disappointing. im skimming here, any other honest comparisons between this and 2017? cause for $40, i basically just want that game, with online co-op.

Top Bottom