• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDF Insect Armageddon |OT| There is no magnifying glass big enough

IrishNinja said:
aw, see that sounds disappointing. im skimming here, any other honest comparisons between this and 2017? cause for $40, i basically just want that game, with online co-op.

i can't imagine you not liking this game if you liked EDF 2017. as far as a straight comparison i think there are things i liked more about EDF 2017 (mission structure/#'s, bugs staying on screen) but aside from that, so far, i would give the nod to EDF IA. different classes, remix mode, survival mode, online co-op. plus for $40 it is a pretty good deal although i get the vibe that they left stuff out so they could make up the other $20 on DLC down the road.

IrishNinja

doesn't sound bad, i can always split the DLC with gamesharing or something. but can you elaborate on the "bugs staying on screen" part?

IrishNinja said:
doesn't sound bad, i can always split the DLC with gamesharing or something. but can you elaborate on the "bugs staying on screen" part?

Well the dead enemies evaporate whereas in edf 2017 the stayed on screen when dead

IrishNinja said:
holy crap, there must be piles everywhere! do they obscure your vision at all?
Not only did they obscure your vision but they also get in your way physically. I'm personally not real sad to see that go.

SeanR1221

The bugs disappearing is the best part.

So how does co-op work? If my friend joins me, does he keep his character progress, weapon unlocks AND level unlocks? Please say level completion carries over...

SeanR1221 said:
The bugs disappearing is the best part.

So how does co-op work? If my friend joins me, does he keep his character progress, weapon unlocks AND level unlocks? Please say level completion carries over...
Yes as far as I know everything carries over, for everyone. Certainly rank/weapon unlocks do.

Neuromancer said:
Not only did they obscure your vision but they also get in your way physically. I'm personally not real sad to see that go.

Seeing the bugs get blown away into the distance was one of my favorite parts of 2017 (especially the boss enemies). I also loved it when a massive body would land near me.

Not a deal breaker by any means and i will definitely be giving this a shot.

robut said:
Played the first 5 levels on normal and went back on hard and OMG HUGE SWARMS AND THEY TAKE FOREVER TO KILL!
Yeah, Hard is no joke. Can't wait to see the Inferno-only Tiers of weapons.

how does the online co-op work? any matchmaking? i doubt there's anyone on my friendslist who would want to play this, so i will have to rely on strangers.. which is ok, i like strangers.

Theres custom match and quick match. You can specify what missions and such to be on. I just beat it on normal to rank up so I can start hard. I wanted to get some higher tiered weapons. Playing as the trooper, only gripe is that his weapons don't seem to have the OOMPTH and dont feel like they pack a punch. Cannot wait to get some crazy ass weapons.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
would be real cool if there was a gaf tag or atleast a list of people in the OT...

also, who said the game's not campy? have you not heard what the AI says in this game?

So I just beat the game on normal. Some impressions.

A few of the fun enemies from 2017 are missing like the Robo-Godzilla. However, there are alot of returning "favorites" and a couple new ones that are real, real fun.

The whole disappearing enemies isn't that big of an issue. Most of the time they are streaming so many enemies at you that you barely even notice the missing corpses.

Survival mode is interesting. They take away all the other classes besides the base soldier and give you a few specific weapons from each category. My initial gut reaction was "I wanted my leveled up dudes!" But upon reconsidering, having a baseline makes progression easier to assess. Really forces you to work with your friends, choose good loadouts and do everything in your power to not take damage.

vireland

Finished Normal - very disappointed. Giving hard a shot next. Surprising amount of medium/close texture pop-in and very sparse enemy concentrations compared to all previous EDFs.

zoner said:
also, who said the game's not campy? have you not heard what the AI says in this game?

It's still campy, but not nearly as campy as 2017. The soldiers sounds more modern bro-serious and less 50's Japanese-esque. The armors look more serious and less goofy. Even the soldier animation is not as goofy as 2017.

Ding

InfectedZero said:
I just beat it on normal to rank up so I can start hard.
So I gather that it's confirmed that one has to complete the game at a single difficulty level, and one can't vary the difficulty from map to map?

Also, are you saying that the Hard and Inferno difficulties are inaccessible until after you've beaten the game completely on Baby (Normal) difficulty? Oh wait... is there a difficulty below normal?

Is Inferno unlocked after you beat Normal?

It sounds like you are planning to do a Hard play-through in "New Game +" mode, where you start with an already leveled character. Is this your only choice, or is there an option to attempt Hard with a brand new character?

(I guess switching to an armor class that you didn't put any money into during your first play-though, would sort of simulate a new character...)

Any comments on the overall difficulty when playing with two other humans? My main worry about that this game is that it will be too easy, and thus boring. This was never an issue in 2017, since you could always crank the difficulty up on those levels that weren't that challenging. (And that had the happy side-effect of increasing the quality of the loot.)

ijed

Still another 3 weeks away for Aussies :(

15 levels sound short but with remix mode and 6 survival modes still sounds like a bit of couch and online co-op to be had.

Anyone seen any acid guns yet? ;)

Zeitgeister said:
that silly question: Are the Xbox360 and PS3 versions equal?

Curious also but doubting there's going to be any df face-offs for this ... Is voice chat implemented btw?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
ijed said:
Still another 3 weeks away for Aussies :(

15 levels sound short but with remix mode and 6 survival modes still sounds like a bit of couch and online co-op to be had.

Anyone seen any acid guns yet? ;)

Curious also but doubting there's going to be any df face-offs for this ... Is voice chat implemented btw?

well you cant just start in inferno mode either you have to farm normal and hard modes for weapons and health/armor upgrades to get those inferno weapons so you got that as well

There's nothing stopping you from playing any available levels on Inferno whenever you want. You WILL die, but you can try it immediately. There's only Normal, Hard, and Inferno.

I just cleared the game on Normal. I played all of chapter 3 with a couple of randoms, and it worked fine. Finishing the Campaign just unlocks the remix campaign, and the ability to play without the AI bots.

vireland

Ding said:
Any comments on the overall difficulty when playing with two other humans? My main worry about that this game is that it will be too easy, and thus boring. This was never an issue in 2017, since you could always crank the difficulty up on those levels that weren't that challenging. (And that had the happy side-effect of increasing the quality of the loot.)

We're done with normal, into hard and I call boring. There's just not enough enemies on-screen, and the camera is zoomed up too tight on the character so you don't have the field of view you do with EDF 2017. The enemy count is also very significantly reduced from EDF2017. On hard they DO make it harder, but it's mostly by making the enemies become bullet sponges, which just makes it more boring than normal mode, not more intense. The sense of frantic intensity and fun is almost completely missing (I DO like rolling in the air, though).

We gave up after a while and put in EDF 2017, which we've completed numerous times and have genocide guns on multiple LIVE accounts, and we still had more fun with it. The co-op multiplayer on it is just so great.

domstah

Let me start by saying I'm a HUGE EDF fan - I have Monster Attack and Global Defense Force on PAL import, as well as EDF 2017 so I might be a little biased.

The biggest gripe I have with Insect Armageddon is the mission structure. The missions are just way too long, and the removal of armor and weapon pick-ups removes a lot of the drama. I like the addition of reviving - especially in co-op - but the game really does suffer from being way too grindy.

The longer missions discourage weapon experimentation - as does the whole level up and buy guns macrogame. Completing levels becomes purely about grinding, with the very slight motivation that you might get a "rare" weapon drop.

I like a lot of what Vicious Cycle have tried to do - but some of the changes make me feel like they really didn't quite understand what makes EDF ... well, EDF.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't know if short missions would be the best fit for online co-op. And it seems like the entire game is built around online co-op.

sonicmj1

I beat the game yesterday, but haven't gotten the chance to post my impressions. Did the whole thing in splitscreen co-op. Have to say, I'm kind of disappointed.

A lot of the changes are pretty good. I don't mind the new weapon system, in theory (it at least cuts down on the "keep one bug alive and hunt for pickups" stuff in 2017). Active reload is a welcome improvement, making some of the bigger weapons more viable, and reducing rolling reload downtime. Classes are interesting and unique, and at least at first, I enjoyed messing with different groups and different styles of play. I'm glad that vehicles are actually usable now, and there's greater variety in enemy types than before. I don't think that it quite matches 2017's enemy density (unless you're on a difficulty level where enemies don't die, you almost never get surrounded), but it remains pretty hectic.

That said, the longer missions are definitely a minus. Whereas EDF's pacing felt pretty breezy, and each encounter could be more dangerous, here things often turned into long slogs where after each objective, I'd be hoping for the end of the mission, only to find myself having to track down yet another anthill or something. I wish each mission were chopped up into two or three other missions. It didn't help that many of the enemies felt like bullet sponges. Wasps, Large Hectors, and Carriers take far longer to bring down than they ought. I appreciated that there were some good indicators for the larger foes of how low their health had gotten, but it was kind of annoying sometimes.

I like the weapon unlock system in theory, but in practice, it has a lot of flaws. The biggest one is that there's no indication, on choosing a weapon, what it does. No stats or descriptions of any kind. That makes it tough to tell which weapon to buy, especially when faced with three different guns of the same class in the same tier. There's no way to tell what they do except in a mission, and since missions are long, you're not going to get a lot of chances at experimentation, unless you die. And since guns are gated based on tier (even weapon-dropped guns are), there is absolutely no incentive to play the difficulties out of order. Not that you would anyways, because Hard is nearly impossible with the starting weapons, since enemies take ages to die. As someone who beat EDF2017 starting on Hard before Normal, it was very disappointing to find myself forced to go to Normal off the bat.

Also, while beating EDF2017 felt climactic and rewarding, the ending here is a disappointing tease, culminating in repetitive battles against some of the bullet-spongiest enemies, and finishing with a cutscene that made me wonder if I had done something wrong. I felt let down upon completing the game, instead of feeling elated. Not fun.

I like the game, and I'm going to go back to it later to do more in Campaign Remix or Hard, but 2017 is a better product. Its cheese is more childishly enthusiastic, and the missions are just better-designed.

magnificent83 said:
What's active reloading?
-hit the reload button
-hit the reload button again at the right time (there's a bar on the screen)
-if you hit it right, you reload in half the time

It originated from Gears of War (as far as I know).

Yeah I totally agree with ya sonic. Like in the earlier stages I would of preferred like 5 hectors running around with the health spread out between them instead of just focusing on 1 hector having a load of health. The later levels get pretty hectic. Just as mentioned before you have to start on normal to even get anywhere, but its still a blast. I'm pretty pumped to try out Remix.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Definitely glad I waited on impressions instead of buying day one. I would say I'll wait for a price drop, but I think this game will end up being really hard to find/expensive in the future. If that's the case, I'll just Gamefly it at some point.

Just got through normal campaign with a friend online and had a blast. Took about 5 hours. Lets say hard and inferno you I don't die and have to grind (very unlikely) that's 15 hours. Then there's remix, so 30. Then going through with 4 different character classes that's 120. That's not counting survival mode, which has it's own cheevos (one for playing 500 waves total). That's a lot of game. I loved 2017 to death but put only (lol, only) 70 hours into it to get everything (well, almost, missed like 2 weapons).

I loved the last two EDFS (and thought Zangeki no Rengenliev was HIGHLY underrated, one of the best games for the Wii of all time) and imo this is a work of love by a US team who did a great job putting their own spin on it. Even if it never reaches (so far) the crazy heights of 2017 it gets close (especially near the end, slowdown city) and never hits the lows (not ALL of those 50+ missions were stellar). I think it's up their with some of the best co-op games available (like Crackdown and Borderlands) and for $40 the online is especially stellar (something I HOPE the next one by Sandlot can come close to).

I like the game, but it reeks of the developers telling themselves they can change things for the better because they're Americans.

They shouldn't have tried to muck with the formula to that extent.

Did any of you guys pick it up on PS3? Just want to make sure before my Amazon order ships that I'm not gonna get shafted on an inferior version.

2017 is like a vanilla cake. IA they took all the same ingredients and ended up with a chocolate cake. It's still a good cake, but not the cake that i wanted.

The invisible manual is impressive though.

Daigoro

ShockingAlberto said:
I like the game, but it reeks of the developers telling themselves they can change things for the better because they're Americans.

im sure that was the exact line of thought that they had when developing the game. impressive work picking up on their arrogance like that.

Daigoro said:
im sure that was the exact line of thought that they had when developing the game. impressive work picking up on their arrogance like that.
Perhaps that was harsh, but I really can't rationalize why they made some of these choices. It seems like they wanted to make their own EDF game while fans wanted a sequel to 2017 and they begrudgingly tried to make small compromises.

Also I kind of don't like how some of the dialogue is trying to be intentionally funny, but it just falls flat. EDF's lines were great because they were played straight and came out with a B-movie feel. This feels like someone trying to make a B-movie.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ShockingAlberto said:
Perhaps that was harsh, but I really can't rationalize why they made some of these choices. It seems like they wanted to make their own EDF game while fans wanted a sequel to 2017 and they begrudgingly tried to make small compromises.

Also I kind of don't like how some of the dialogue is trying to be intentionally funny, but it just falls flat. EDF's lines were great because they were played straight and came out with a B-movie feel. This feels like someone trying to make a B-movie.
"It's raining men!"

sonicmj1

ShockingAlberto said:

I think that if D3 didn't want them to make something with differences from Sandlot's formula, they wouldn't have contracted out an American-made EDF in the first place. Changes were inevitable. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if there were a situation like with DmC, where D3 encouraged Vicious Cycle to differentiate themselves more than they might have initially planned. But I might just be giving the developers more credit than they deserve.

In the end, I don't think they were that far off the mark, but it could have been done better.

So I got to the last level and:

Thought I beat the game by dying....Got into the drop ship, tried to shoot at something, but didn't know what to shoot. Brought me back to the Mission Select. Had no idea that I died. WTF was I supposed to do? That shit took me almost 30 minutes killing off 10 or so Hectors and did not want to go back and grind that shit again.

I haven't played the game yet (not out in Europe), so I can't really comment on how good this game is. However, I think it's nice that they made their own version of it since we're getting a Sandlot EDF next year (I hope) as well. It would be nice to get new EDF games more often, and to get different kind of EDF games instead of just getting the same game over and over.

Though, we don't know what changes Sandlot will make for their next EDF. For all we know they could make it more like Reginleiv and IA, and less like earlier EDF games.

sonicmj1

Giant Robot said:

Thought I beat the game by dying....Got into the drop ship, tried to shoot at something, but didn't know what to shoot. Brought me back to the Mission Select. Had no idea that I died. WTF was I supposed to do? That shit took me almost 30 minutes killing off 10 or so Hectors and did not want to go back and grind that shit again.

Yeah, that's what's supposed to happen, apparently.

I was just as confused as you are.

ShockingAlberto said:

What the hell? What, exactly, gives you this impression? The game goes to great lengths to pay homage to 2017. The only changes that I've noticed are good ones, either for gameplay or usability reasons.

Daigoro said:

I don't even know how to respond to this. Arrogance? Over a sequel to a sleeper hit? What exactly did you want them to do? Recreate the same game? The only, ONLY flaw I can see with this game that isn't fanbois preaching from on high is the lack of level variety (exuseable to a degree considering its an urban environment, 2017 really went out of its way to contrive those underground and countryside levels), and the number of levels (personally, this is made up for to a small degree by the remix version as well as the survival mode)

This game looks like a labor of love. They want fans to enjoy it and priced it as a budget title despite having some of the most lag free online I've played launch day in quite some time.

Put out some DLC for this. I *want* to give them more money!

Giant Robot said:

This one caught me by surprise as well.
Part of me is wondering one of two things; Meant to happen, in which case... DLC? Or "Beat it on Inferno for the true ending"

Ding

Nice mini-review, sonicmj1.

sonicmj1 said:
It didn't help that many of the enemies felt like bullet sponges. Wasps, Large Hectors, and Carriers take far longer to bring down than they ought. I appreciated that there were some good indicators for the larger foes of how low their health had gotten, but it was kind of annoying sometimes.

That's interesting about the bullet-sponginess. 2017 didn't really ever have that, did it? Everything was really fast paced. Sure, red ants took longer to kill than black ants, but you would be talking about 7 bullets vs. 3. That's a significant difference if you're being swarmed, but you never got "bored" while killing something.

The same thing generally went for the big enemies, too. (UFOs, artillery Hectors) If you couldn't kill them pretty quickly, you tended to die. I can only remember one extended battle against non-Boss critters, and that's when I was fighting Hectors on that first beach level. Even with a newb character, you could crank the difficulty way up, and slooooowly kill Hectors from extreme range for fat loot.

But that was just me being a loot farmer. The "normal" game was paced so you needed to be able to kill things pretty quickly, or die trying.

It sounds like EDF: IA has gone away from that a bit.

I'm still looking forward to playing, however. : )

Ding said:
The same thing generally went for the big enemies, too. (UFOs, artillery Hectors) If you couldn't kill them pretty quickly, you tended to die. I can only remember one extended battle against non-Boss critters, and that's when I was fighting Hectors on that first beach level. Even with a newb character, you could crank the difficulty way up, and slooooowly kill Hectors from extreme range for fat loot.

I found myself running away from multiple Hectors and towards health packs. Got kinda annoying that im pumping 1,000 bullets/missles into each Hector and running 2 miles to re-energize.

Top Bottom