• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDF Insect Armageddon |OT| There is no magnifying glass big enough

Beat the whole game co-op online. Great experience, extremely enjoyable and there is still tons left to do. ONLY COMPLAINT: Bugs disappearing. At least the four classes are fun and diverse enough to make me want to level each. I thought everyone was just going to pick the jet class or heavy but I was gladly wrong!

Lots of replay value in the game and I don't think I've experienced quite the bullet hell to this degree in 3rd person.

Eurogamer review - 8/10

I think you're going to love Insect Armageddon, then, but you may love it very fiercely for a fairly short space of time - a fact that Namco Bandai all but acknowledges with the price point. This is a smart discount blaster to dive into for a few hours every few months, and to have nearby whenever you get bored of more complex entertainments that come with characters and plot twists and levels that aren't all largely interchangeable. It's basic stuff, its frame-rate can stutter, and it's got a handful of minor - ha! - bugs, but if you're looking for a source of guilt-free insect murder over the next few weeks, this is the best show in town. Just ask the ants.

yo_soy_el_topo said:
Beat the whole game co-op online. Great experience, extremely enjoyable and there is still tons left to do. ONLY COMPLAINT: Bugs disappearing. At least the four classes are fun and diverse enough to make me want to level each. I thought everyone was just going to pick the jet class or heavy but I was gladly wrong!

Lots of replay value in the game and I don't think I've experienced quite the bullet hell to this degree in 3rd person.

I feel this exact same way. If any class is neglected, its the trooper, really. I see tons of Battle's and Tacticals (I'm almost always a Jet myself). But nary a trooper. I wonder if this is just a "hey, seen it before..." or a "doesn't seem cool enough" reaction. I need to check to see how much faster their reload actually is.

so playing online co-op last night and a few bug's that annoyed me:

sound glitched out during a game and was completely gone. No sound effects, no music, no voice chatter, nothing!

and when the sound glitches out I can't see my online co-op partner anywhere. I can see the bullets coming every time he shoots, but cannot see him at all. His XBL name appears way off screen too.

also fighting the
Queen Ant. After defeating it, we couldn't get the ammo/weapon drop. There seemed to be a stupid invisible wall in the cave that we couldn't get past. It was literally within reach, about 2 feet away too :\

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
my friend cant find this game anywhere god damn i want to play this coop so bad get your shit together d3 and actually produce copies so people can buy it

aechris

A couple of friends were bugging me to get this so we could play online. I have never played an EDF game before but I am totally loving this. If anyone's curious but isn't sure, I say go for it. Completely worth the $40 I'd say.

zorbsie

Just picked this up. Can't wait to play this online. Feel free to add me on 360: zorbs. Always up to play coop games.

vireland

Rygar 8 Bit said:
my friend cant find this game anywhere god damn i want to play this coop so bad get your shit together d3 and actually produce copies so people can buy it

Thank Gamestop for only ordering preorders +1. It's pretty much their mantra now on smaller titles, if they order a title at all. They'd rather sell it to you used when they're in an artificially created "sold out" situation.

Don't support that crap. Amazon has it in stock:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043QSR5C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This game just gets better and better as I play it.
Hard gets harder with bigger swarms and tougher enemies
Team mates in this game are really good! They're always shooting enemies but the best part is if you go down they make a beeline over to help you. Playing alone for once doesn't feel like I'm missing out.
Health drops are plentiful and give you lots of health, love how it goes across everyone and give you armor if you're maxed.
Little touches like how missles swarm around enemies and keep going are nice. Being able to sprint through fences to me says this team took a hard look at the old games and went out of their way to make a lot of improvements.
The upgrade path and replayability hooks are just as addictive as the last games. I've probably put over 10 hours so far trying to get my Tactical guy maxed and knock down some hard levels solo. Finding new weapons is thrilling and reading up on them is (with their funny names and crazy stats) as fun as the others.
I like how the levels are layed out. With 50+ levels a lot of them felt throwaway, yeah they're aren't as many but I like the different scenarios they put you in. Their aren't as many but more thought was put into what's there.
The coms lady. Her voice is unique and very hypnotic. I dig the story and her banter back and forth with the idiotic intel guy in the second half of the game is entertaining.

Main negatives so far are while the online is great (crazy for a budget title) co-op I can't find an online match on my own. My internet isn't great so sometimes it's like that for me but I really want to get in a 6 man survival match and it looks like it's gonna be a chore. The other is the remix mode (which I only played a couple levels of so far) doesn't seem to remix much other than the enemies types are a bit harder or show up earlier.

But yeah, 8/10 from Eurogamer? I'm down with that.

Picked it up today for PS3. R2 shooting is annoying, but I'm getting over it. It's just so fucking satisfying to take down Hectors.

robut said:
Team mates in this game are really good! They're always shooting enemies but the best part is if you go down they make a beeline over to help you. Playing alone for once doesn't feel like I'm missing out.

The competency of the friendly A.I. is also something that really, really surprised me. Really well done.

Daigoro

my local BB had 3 copies in. i had one in my hands, but didnt bite. too many games im in the middle of now.

i sort of regret it. not sure if finding a discounted copy down the road will be a chore or not. i may head back this week and pick it up.

Chrysalis

What I really want to know- and what the Eurogamer review didn't really weigh in on- is whether we can expect more ridiculous gems such as "Damn Aliens! Digging holes in my backyard!" If the answer is no, there goes half of my reason to purchase it.

Chrysalis said:
What I really want to know- and what the Eurogamer review didn't really weigh in on- is whether we can expect more ridiculous gems such as "Damn Aliens! Digging holes in my backyard!" If the answer is no, there goes half of my reason to purchase it.
The lines aren't nearly as good, no.

They're trying to be funny and are then inherently doomed to not be as funny.

Bought it today. Have a few questions:

1) Can I take unlocked weapons into survival mode? I went to online survival immediately after playing, so I started with the basic stiff.

2) Do I have to really complete each level on offline before playing it online?

3) No classes in survival, correct?

ShockingAlberto said:
The lines aren't nearly as good, no.

They're trying to be funny and are then inherently doomed to not be as funny.

I love the redneck guy who says "this a huge swarm but we'll prevail!" or something. I genuinely laughed with friends a few times playing it. The one guy that throws it off is the dude trying to be Will Smith and you hear him a lot. Other than that I thought it was fine.

Mr Killemgood said:
Bought it today. Have a few questions:

1) Can I take unlocked weapons into survival mode? I went to online survival immediately after playing, so I started with the basic stiff.

2) Do I have to really complete each level on offline before playing it online?

3) No classes in survival, correct?
1)No upgrades of any kind in survival mode. It seems kind of pointless really. About the only reason to play it is to grind waves and kills towards trophies/achievements.

2) You can play online right from the beginning. I played all of Chapter 3 online on my first playthrough, but I think it'll only join you to games on levels you have available (i.e. you have finished the previous level).

3) Everbody is a trooper in survival.

Aaron

This game is incredibly awesome.

Best splitscreen ever, which matters when I play so many games that way. The variety of enemies is great, the classes are cool, the cities are much more detailed than the previous games, the abilities of the classes add plenty to the game... my only minor complaint is all the trooper gets is faster reload. I wish his sprint and roll speed were super fast since he's running light after all. I play mostly as Battle because his weapons feel the most badass, and being able to wade into a crowd and set of his explosion is real satisfying.

Shame there's basically no promotion and stores stock only a couple copies. Best Buy had two of the 360 version, but a shit ton of that horrible Red Faction game.

This is the only game I would buy DLC for.

geebee

Banned
For those of you who like to complete their games 100%, I wish you the best of luck and patience. Especially purchasing every armor's weapons. Took me what seemed like nearly a month during QA. I didn't think I would want to play the game again after that, but I just popped it in and had a blast.

geebee said:
For those of you who like to complete their games 100%, I wish you the best of luck and patience. Especially purchasing every armor's weapons. Took me what seemed like nearly a month during QA. I didn't think I would want to play the game again after that, but I just popped it in and had a blast.
Do you work for D3 or Vicious Cycle?

geebee said:

Nice, I'm having a blast. Did you do any QA on more than 3 chapters or extra dlc levels? If you are allowed to talk about it, that is

My only issue with the game at the moment (outside of a weird music bug) is to with the difficulty balancing, I started the game out on Hard for half of Chapter 1, then dialed it down to normal after reading the thread. The difference is pretty astounding but I think whats the most irritating is that none of the weapon drops are usable by my class and now ranking up has slowed to a crawl. That's killing my experimentation with the new weapons since it takes care of business. I want to have the joy of using new weapons all the time after each level.

geebee

Banned
TelemachusD said:
Do you work for D3 or Vicious Cycle?
Namco Bandai. When I first heard Insect Armageddon was not being developed by Sandlot, I was a little disappointed, but as I tested the game and got to see that Vicious Cycle were serious about catering to fans of the series, the final game is pretty impressive.

magnificent83 said:
Nice, I'm having a blast. Did you do any QA on more than 3 chapters or extra dlc levels? If you are allowed to talk about it, that is

My only issue with the game at the moment (outside of a weird music bug) is to with the difficulty balancing, I started the game out on Hard for half of Chapter 1, then dialed it down to normal after reading the thread. The difference is pretty astounding but I think whats the most irritating is that none of the weapon drops are usable by my class and now ranking up has slowed to a crawl. That's killing my experimentation with the new weapons since it takes care of business. I want to have the joy of using new weapons all the time after each level.
I tested everything that's shipped in the game including the pre-order DLC. A hint for people that want to grind experience/credits to purchase weapons.. In the very first level, it's possible to max out your score to I think 65,000 if I remember correctly. Just get to the part where the second anthill pops up. Ants will come out at a pretty good rate as long as you don't damage the anthill to close it.

TelemachusD said:
1)No upgrades of any kind in survival mode. It seems kind of pointless really. About the only reason to play it is to grind waves and kills towards trophies/achievements.

2) You can play online right from the beginning. I played all of Chapter 3 online on my first playthrough, but I think it'll only join you to games on levels you have available (i.e. you have finished the previous level).

3) Everbody is a trooper in survival.
Wow these 2 points really suck. Well I hate wave based, horde type modes anyway, so I really have no reason to bother now. Good thing the campaign's excellent.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Aaron said:
This game is incredibly awesome.

Best splitscreen ever, which matters when I play so many games that way. The variety of enemies is great, the classes are cool, the cities are much more detailed than the previous games, the abilities of the classes add plenty to the game... my only minor complaint is all the trooper gets is faster reload. I wish his sprint and roll speed were super fast since he's running light after all. I play mostly as Battle because his weapons feel the most badass, and being able to wade into a crowd and set of his explosion is real satisfying.

Shame there's basically no promotion and stores stock only a couple copies. Best Buy had two of the 360 version, but a shit ton of that horrible Red Faction game.

This is the only game I would buy DLC for.
I don't think Red Faction: Armageddon is shitty at all. EDF:IA, RF:A and Serious Sam :BFE are the summer arcade-style alien blasting trifecta for me.

Adam J.

Just found out I won a copy of this from an EDF photoshop contest. I've been too broke to pick it up, so this was the only way I could secure a copy. Dreams do come true with EDF!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
the-earth-defense-force-insect-armageddon-20110607023232608_640w.jpg

Yes, Yes.

..................Yes.

Shaheed79 said:
Yes, Yes.

..................Yes.
That pic is kind of misleading. You could never get a battle armor on top of a building.

Basically my only disappointments with the game are that the longer levels discourage weapon experimentation, and the fact you can pick up a dropped weapon and not be able to use for HOURS because your rank isn't high enough. Otherwise it's tons of fun.

Oh, and you can't tell what the difficulty of any game you join is. Hopefully this can be fixed in a patch or something. Really just adding a difficulty select to the quick match would be enough.

Aaron

SapientWolf said:
I don't think Red Faction: Armageddon is shitty at all. EDF:IA, RF:A and Serious Sam :BFE are the summer arcade-style alien blasting trifecta for me.
Shitty is probably too harsh. It wasn't what I wanted the game to be at all though, so it was no good for me. I'm just picking on it because my Best Buy had a crazy number of copies of it for some reason.

Just got done playing online campaign with 2 others on Hard. Holy shit is it fucking fun. Really need to be careful to assign what classes each person is.

Hopefully you've done a play through on Normal because the lower Tier 3/4 weapons are useless on Hard.

I tried Inferno for the hell of it and immediately turned the game off within a minute. Fuck that shit....for now.

atomsk

Party Pooper
gamefly pushed this back yet another day.

guess it's back to playing the 8 other games I've bought this month... damn you Steam!

Edit: Nevermind. The mission select screen is very strange. Chapters on left, missions on right. Got it figured out and beat all Chapter 1 missions.

Cool stuff so far.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finally picked mine up today.
Wound up with an extra PS3 GS DLC code.
Would anyone be willing to swap an unused PS3 BB DLC code for it?
If so, please PM me.

BTW, I'm Mejilan on PSN, if you want to engage in some online coop...

Samus4145

atomsk said:
gamefly pushed this back yet another day.

guess it's back to playing the 8 other games I've bought this month... damn you Steam!
Noticed this as well. Sigh...maybe it will show up on Saturday now. Usually gets a game shipped on Monday on that Thursday

Mejilan said:
Finally picked mine up today.
Wound up with an extra PS3 GS DLC code.
Would anyone be willing to swap an unused PS3 BB DLC code for it?
If so, please PM me.

BTW, I'm Mejilan on PSN, if you want to engage in some online coop...
Any chance I could get that if you don't find anyone?

Brashnir

Played the first couple missions.

Can't say I'm impressed.

It's like the game is simultaneously trying to ape typical modern scripted shooter design, while also aping EDF, and manages to fail miserably at both.

I've played two missions and I'm already completely sick of "Walk to point A. Hold Y Button to do X." I'm guessing I'm due for 13 more missions of this shit.

Also, why can't I invert the aiming during the opening shooting sequence? Are there more of these throughout the game?

The end-of stage screen is both confusing and stupid. Hitting the Exit button exits you to the main menu, saves your XP progress, but somehow doesn't save the fact that you finished the mission, so you end up having to do it again upon restarting.

Maybe it gets better, but so far it's not worth even a budget price of $40. Hell, it's not even worth $10.

Havok

Picked this up today and played through a bunch of missions, maybe ten or so, coop with a friend over Live. I'm really enjoying myself, a few small nitpicky things aside. I find that its often difficult to tell if I'm damaging Hectors or not (do you actually have to shoot the glowy bits with non-explosive weapons now? cause that'd be lame). The interplay between the classes seems neat and well designed. However, as some have mentioned, the lines are obviously intended to be bad humor and it shows (apart from the dropship pilot doing his best airliner captain impression, I haven't gotten many laughs out of it). I'll have to see whether it holds up through the entire game, but I don't regret my purchase at all.

Brashnir said:
I've played two missions and I'm already completely sick of "Walk to point A. Hold Y Button to do X." I'm guessing I'm due for 13 more missions of this shit.

Also, why can't I invert the aiming during the opening shooting sequence? Are there more of these throughout the game?
I thought the quality jumped up quite a bit after the first few missions, so I'd stick with it to see if you feel the same way. And I've seen at least one more shooting sequence, but they're both so inconsequential that an issue like that, while still really shitty, isn't the biggest issue.

Eiji

My thoughts:

EDF2 > EDF2017 > EDF > EDF:IA

EDF2 is still the best. 71 missions, lots of enemy and landscape varieties, the music and the atmosphere.

I still play it from time to time on PCSX2 in 1080p :D

Eiji said:
EDF2 is still the best. 71 missions, lots of enemy and landscape varieties, the music and the atmosphere.

I still play it from time to time on PCSX2 in 1080p :D
How well does it run on PC? HD EDF2 with a decent framerate would be godly. I don't think my machine is up to PS2 emulation, but I DO have an EDF2 disc laying around. It might spur me to make some upgrades.

Mejilan, I sent you a friend request.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The only problem I have with the shooting segments... is that I wish I could pull out a light gun to play them ^_^ Really, it's arcadey, EDF always felt arcadey... no problem, with how short they last.

On 2 player split screen co-op, with rank 6 weapons, a Battle and a Jet, we're FINALLY getting to the point where Hectors and such go down within a decent, nice time (on hard). That was on 3-4. This is where the weapons are starting to seem properly powerful to me, for that difficulty.

Someone asked if Hitting things in places other than the weak point causes damage. I believe so, as long as they don't have an obvious energy barrier on their bodies, like the Super Hectors, and the Carrier ships. Those, I REALLY don't think take damage except for in the weakpoints.

I do wonder if the EXP curve is a bit ridiculous, though. It's starting to get REALLY slow, considering you have to do it 4 times. That feels slightly more artifical than the bloated number of stages in old EDF.

Also, I was glad to see there's more of an ending to the game in Hard, compared to Normal. I assume the same thing happens on Inferno, but it'll probably be a day or 2 before I see if that's true!

All in all, I have to say, while it's different, this has become an EDF to me, not just a shallow imitation. It's a much more satisfying sequel, to me, than Crackdown 2 was to 1. While it guffs up some of what I like, it seems to be making it up to me as time goes on, and I look forward to playing it some more. What it brings to the table as a whole, is greater than what was lost... but the perfect EDF experience would be the one that brings the best from all together into one!

I actually hope EDF4 from Sandlot takes a long, hard look at what WORKS in this game, and what doesn't. I'd be sad to see armor classes and special attacks completly gone!

Not being able to see or choose difficulty on quick match REALLY SUCKS. A server browser would have been nice so you could set up a room and people could see what you were playing before joining and filter by difficulty, level, etc. There's no way to tell what rank the other players are either.

You can start a custom game and choose the difficulty and level yourself, but unless you have somebody ready to play with you, there's no telling if or when someone will join, and if they do whether or not they even have an appropriate level armor or if they do whether they guessed correctly what the difficulty was set to and picked the right armor.

I'm going to set up a PS3 chat so hopefully we can co-ordinate some play sessions with fellow GAFers.
If you want an invite please send me a friend request: TelemachusD

Welcome to my shit-list, Joystiq!

2/5 star review:
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon is extermination porn, free of narrative, compelling gameplay or anything other than highly murderable bugs, aliens and alien bugs.

This is normally the part of the review where I'd say "But if you just want to shut your brain off and shoot some bugs, then -- blah, blah, blah" but it would just be too insulting in this case. Even the most brainless of braindead fare can aim higher than this rat-hitting-the-feeder-bar inanity. You deserve better.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/07/earth-defense-force-insect-armageddon-review/

Brashnir

Still playing, still not liking.

Things I hate about this game thus far:

-The Mission Structure. Way too much run here/go there/press this button here. Adding these scripted elements adds nothing but tedium to the levels and makes them artificially longer than they need be. One of the things that made the old games work was that they were a marriage of old mono-thematic arcade games - where you would clear boards - and Diablo-like loot games, all in the control trappings of a third-person shooter. Adding scripted sequences to this formula simply dilutes it and pushes the levels farther from what they ought to be - Simple (yet not always easy) challenges to overcome.

-The Ant Hills. Why they changed these from being a targetable and killable gauntlet-style monster generator into a fucking stand-next-to-me-and-hold-a-button QTE, I'll never understand. it's dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

-the UFOs. They turned them from being a placable part of a board-clearing challenge (like the old anthills) into basically the Mothership from the end of 2017. They take entirely too long to destroy, changing them from a priority target that needs to be dealt with into something you shoot at every now and then when you get a break in the swarm. A swarm which, at least on the early levels with UFOs, comes partially from the UFO itself, and partially from just spawning from fucking nothing constantly until you finally get around to shooting the thing down. Speaking of monsters spawning from nothing...

-Infinite Spawns From Nowhere. It seems like every time you get a "Go to X waypoint" objective, you get an accompanying never-ending trickle of bugs on your way to said waypoint. On the first level, I sat and shot them for close to 20 minutes wondering when the wave would end before finally realizing that I just needed to run by them to the dot on the radar to make them stop. Get this Call of Duty shit out of my EDF. The old EDF games are about prioritizing targets and eliminating threats - some of which are awarms of bugs - not about the swarms of bugs themselves.

-The Controls. Why they felt the need to use every button on the controller baffles me. 2017's controls were all on the sticks and the shoulder buttons. This meant you never had to take your fingers off the aim controls for anything. Adding a bunch of new command possibilities adds nothing. Active reload, while perhaps good in theory, exacerbates this by mapping it to a face button rather than RB/R1 or even the shooting trigger. The controls are also pretty much entirely uncustomizable, making this even worse than it already is.

-The Autosave. If you quit the game after completing a mission, you have to replay that mission upon returning to the game. What. The. Fuck. This is such a ridiculous issue that it baffles me that it made it anywhere near a commercial product. Bizarrely, it saves your XP, Credits, and weapons, but not the fact that you beat the level. Since I can only stomach about 2 levels of this shitfest in a sitting, it means I've basically had to play every level twice now. I have to play it a second time upon returning, then get through one new level after that, and then I can't stand any more and shut it off. Rinse, repeat.

This game is bad, and not for any of the reasons cited in the Joystiq review above.

Edit - one more, related to Mission/level design. I hate when they put a waypoint that leads to a battle/set piece right at the edge of the map. Why would they think this is a good idea? There's a giant shimmering wall there that the player can't move or shoot through, so let's make him fight right next to it while half of the enemies at any given time are on the other side of it.

Top Bottom