• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM - PSP vs NDS: The Rematch

Soul4ger

So, after E3, EGM did a little PSP vs. DS thing based off their show impressions. The mag has a much more extended this issue, taking into account specs and software line-ups. Of course, it doesn't take into account the $185 price point for the PSP's Japanese launch, but some other notable points:

EGM doesn't like the PSP's analog stick, and is worried about the battery life. The system is sexy.

DS is different, but good, but the touch-screen controlling takes some getting used to. They have concerns over the third-party support for the system.

Top five PSP games:
1) Metal Gear Ac!d
2) Ridge Racer
3) Vampire Chronicle
4) Coded Arms
5) Lumines

Top five DS games:
1) WarioWare
2) Super Mario 64
3) Metroid Prime
4) Feel the Magic
5) Yoshi's Touch & Go

The rest of the line-up- PSP - C
DS - B

AniHawk

The rest of the line-up- PSP - C
DS - B

atomic.gif

ferricide

it's worth noting that the opinions of the games were based on the playtests at TGS (PSP) and the nintendo gamers summit (DS).

Mrbob

I'd have to agree with EGM this is a powerhouse 5 if I've ever seen one.

Top five DS games:
1) WarioWare
2) Super Mario 64
3) Metroid Prime
4) Feel the Magic
5) Yoshi's Touch & Go

FOR THE GOOD OF THE INDUSTRY. FOR NINTENDOODS.

snapty00

Banned
I wish the PSP had a touch-screen feature and better battery life.

I wish the DS had much, much better graphics, screen resolution that were approximately between the current DS resolution and the PSP resolution, and an analog stick of some sort -- even an analog directional pad.

MrparisSM

Banned
snapty00 said:
I wish the PSP had a touch-screen feature and better battery life.

I wish the DS had much, much better graphics, screen resolution that were approximately between the current DS resolution and the PSP resolution, and an analog stick of some sort -- even an analog directional pad.

Yep, those would be the perfect systems.

Speevy

Banned
The full realization of what the DS is about, the whole "touch the game" thing is IMO more appealing than great graphics on a racing game.

But most games won't use the DS like Wario Ware has.

Speevy

Banned
Someone post the picture of the boxing champion DS standing next to the fallen, black-eyed PSP.

I just want to see it once before the generation actually begins and reality sets in.

Mrbob

Speevy said:
Someone post the picture of the boxing champion DS standing next to the fallen, black-eyed PSP.

I just want to see it once before the generation actually begins and reality sets in.

:lol :lol

snapty00

Banned
A touch screen on PSP would rock. Fuck the toddlers who can't help but stab the stylus into their portable game systems.

SantaC

hopefully the metroid game is somewhat good. Don't have great expectations for that kind of spinoff.

This thread can only end in tears.
Nah. The fuel for the fire is there but if Nintendo fans strike the match and gloat they would be simultaneously lending credibility to a mag that rated MP2: Echoes lower than GTA, Halo 2, and MGS3 thus legitimizing the scores for future flamefests and GOTY arguments.

Matlock

Banned
Speevy said:

dsko.jpg

Buggy Loop

Well i know that AW DS would be my #1 but if its only about "games you played", then neither gets a list from me :p

Xellos

EGM says the max DS cart size is 1 gigabit (128MB). Just for comparison, how large were the largest N64 games (RE2, Conker, Majora's Mask)?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Xellos said:
EGM says the max DS cart size is 1 gigabit (128MB). Just for comparison, how large were the largest N64 games (RE2, Conker, Majora's Mask)?
IIRC, N64 games never got any bigger than 512 megabits.

Xellos

human5892 said:
IIRC, N64 games never got any bigger than 512 megabits.

Ah good. I had thought some of those N64 games went up to 256MB but if they're only 512mb then that's reassuring for the DS.

Soul4ger

deadlifter said:
Yeah, that's reaching. Sounds like they couldn't find too many negative things.

Well, they likened it to the GC (and the N64). GC looked like it had decent third-party support at first, too.

neptunes

not a lot of games were 512 megabits(64mb) either, I remember ogre battle 64 was 520megabits or something like that.

lexi

Banned
Conker was, I think, the biggest N64 Cart, at either 512Mb or possibly (I could be and most likely am wrong) 1Gb.

EGM stating that the max size for a DS cart as 1Gb is like stating the max size for an N64 Cart is 64Mb. The DS Cart size will increase as needed.

snapty00

Banned
Does anyone know how large Super Mario 64 DS is?

I'm guessing about 12 megabytes or so, although it's worth noting that the original game didn't actually use all the space of the eight-megabyte cartridge.

I'm guessing Nintendo 64 ---> DS conversions won't see the dramatic increases in size that Super NES ---> GBA conversions did, since the ARM processor was responsible for some of that.

lockii said:
EGM stating that the max size for a DS cart as 1Gb is like stating the max size for an N64 Cart is 64Mb. The DS Cart size will increase as needed.
Actually, it's more likely that 1 Gb of storage is the technical maximum without using some type of bank-switching trick.

heidern

Mario 64 = 8 MBytes, 64 Mbits
Goldeneye = 12 MBytes, 96Mbits (Fixed from 100Mbits)
Mario Kart 64 = 16 MBytes, 128Mbits
OoT = Majora= Banjo Tooie = Kirby 64 = 32 Mbytes, 256 Mbits
Ogre Battle 64 = 40 MBytes, 320 Mbits
Resident Evil 2 = 64 MBytes, 512 MBits

SF Alpha 3(arcade) = ~40 MBytes, 320 MBits
KOF 2000(arcade) = ~85 MBytes, 680MBits

DS cards = 128 MBytes, 1024 Mbits.

The cards have plenty of space for games. Apart from the epic rpgs like FFVII (which ain't totally suited to a handheld perhaps) pretty much anyting will fit. Just wish that the likes of SNK and Treasure would show some strong 2D support for the system.

Xellos

Thanks for the info heindern! :) It's really amazing what some of those devs were able to stuff onto 64MB or less (Perfect Dark and Conker's voice work and RE2's FMV). Hopefully some DS games will be as ambitious as those N64 games were.

jiggle

heidern said:
Apart from the epic rpgs like FFVII (which ain't totally suited to a handheld perhaps)

You mean like FFTA, FFIII, FFI&II, Golden Suns etc etc. Yep, epic rpgs not suited indeed.

snapty00

Banned
12 megabytes would be 96 megabits.

Based on the two architectures, I wonder if you could create the same exact game on Nintendo 64 and DS and have the file size be exactly the same or better on DS.

SantaC

I can't believe that OoT was only 32 megabyte! It's the same size as 6 mp3 files, that's crazy.

SantaC

Society said:
So ya, do you think the Zeldas on DS should use the OOT engine? :p

Nintendo really should do another OoT style zelda on the DS. I am all for it.

I bet they will port OoT to DS, and hopefully with extra content. Lots of extras plz.

Top Bottom