• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM - PSP vs NDS: The Rematch

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
SantaCruZer said:
Nintendo really should do another OoT style zelda on the DS. I am all for it.

I bet they will port OoT to DS, and hopefully with extra content. Lots of extras plz.

Yeah, probably a port and then a whole new game later. That would be something to look forward to.

SantaC

deadlifter said:
Yeah, probably a port and then a whole new game later. That would be something to look forward to.

heck the size of DS, they can put both OoT and MM on one cart.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
There was one other game that was 64 Megabytes on the N64, besides RE2

Pokemon Stadium 3 (2 US)

I do believe that 128 MB is the cart size at the moment for the DS. I don't think Nintendo announced a true "maximum" for it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SantaCruZer said:
heck the size of DS, they can put both OoT and MM on one cart.

The size of a 1st gen DS cart can hold Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Majora's Mask, Goldeneye, and Ogre Battle 64 on one cart.

Xellos

If Nintendo can apply work done for N64 games to the development of new DS sequels, then I hope they do that. Most of Nintendo's N64 games had very good engines.

M3wThr33

Banned
Super Mario 64 in Japan was 56 megabits. The US version added his voice to it, which brought it up to 64 megabits.

heidern

snapty00 said:
12 megabytes would be 96 megabits.

Yeah, my bad.

Society said:
They have a lot of space, just need more ram ... again.

I dunno, the architecture is a lot better than the 64 so it should be more than capable overall. Mind you, I can't believe RAM would be that expensive and it would be cool if they upped it from 4 to 8, or even to 6 MBs.

You know they'll do it anyways.

Well they could stick OoT and Majoras Mask on one card and they'd still have 64MBs to make a game twice as big(more if they reuse models and stuff). Now that would be one hell of a killer app.

jiggle said:
You mean like FFTA, FFIII, FFI&II, Golden Suns etc etc. Yep, epic rpgs not suited indeed.

Well I did say perhaps. I mean, there is a difference between those games and the labourious FMV sequences and indulgent special attack animations of FFVII. To be honest, is there really a need for 70 hour handheld rpgs? I think an rpg twice as big as RE:2 giving 20-30 hours of gameplay with a high intensity of high quality backrounds and some FMV would be perfect.

M3wThr33

Banned
heidern said:
Yeah, my bad.

Well I did say perhaps. I mean, there is a difference between those games and the labourious FMV sequences and indulgent special attack animations of FFVII. To be honest, is there really a need for 70 hour handheld rpgs? I think an rpg twice as big as RE:2 giving 20-30 hours of gameplay with a high intensity of high quality backrounds and some FMV would be perfect.
pikachu.gif

Culex

Banned
Was Ogre Battle 64 a 512 mbit (64 meg) cart? I remember it weighing a lot more than most other games, too.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well i'll add more fuel to the fire in this PSP and DS battle. 2 people on gamefaqs have actually recieved the DS hardware and one of them says that Nintendo is understating the amount of hours you can play the DS without the battery getting charged. He said it only lasts 10 hours with a game that is using all the features of the DS and when you have the sound as high as possible, without those the battery lasts up to 13 hours continous play without recharging.

GSG Flash

Society said:
10 hours is bad? What did Nintendo estimate?

I never said it was bad, and Nintendo stated 10 hours continous play without recharging.

GSG Flash

Soul4ger said:
So how are they "understating," exactly?

They are understating becuase it's only 10 hours when all the features are being used and the thing is being played at full blast with lots of animations going on.

Insertia

GSG Flash said:
They are understating becuase it's only 10 hours when all the features are being used and the thing is being played at full blast with lots of animations going on.

?
that's pretty damn good.

lexi

Banned
Awesome, if true. The possibility of getting greater than 10 hours battery life w/ Headphones is almost too good to be true.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
GSG Flash said:
So they've used the wireless features with "full blast" games?

GSG Flash

kaching said:
So they've used the wireless features with "full blast" games?

I don't understand the question, and by full blast I meant the sound on full blast.

arter_2

I wanna see sin and punish ment on ds now that would be great think bout the touch screen possabilities.

Pellham

Banned
Apart from the epic rpgs like FFVII (which ain't totally suited to a handheld perhaps)

FF7 would fit on the DS easily, you have to keep in mind the game would be shrunk down to fit DS standards. If they can make RE2 fit on an N64 cart, they can easily make FF7 fit on a DS card in this day and age. :p

snapty00

Banned
They'd be hard-pressed to get Final Fantasy VII on a 128-megabyte cartridge. It may not be impossible, but it would require so much dedication and work.

Resident Evil 2 had a lot going for it:
-The two PSX discs had more data alike than differences, meaning that only one copy had to be on the Nintendo 64 cartridge
-The fact that it WAS only two discs rather than more (which, again, shared most information)
-The programmers manually compressed each background and video for Resident Evil 2 on Nintendo 64; the process wasn't automatic
-The videos on the Nintendo 64 version were extremely grainy, and the sound was even worse

Kon Tiki

Banned
snapty00 said:
Resident Evil 2 had a lot going for it:
-The two PSX discs had more data alike than differences, meaning that only one copy had to be on the Nintendo 64 cartridge

Wan't the overworld present on the first 2 FFVII discs. ( I can not remeber, 3 discs total? Last one was very short?)

MarkMacD

deadlifter said:
I'm sure if EGM rated them at this moment the systems would be tied at B+

To be clear, the ratings are for the software lineups only, and wouldn't change due to the price announcement.

Shoryuken

MarkMacD said:
To be clear, the ratings are for the software lineups only, and wouldn't change due to the price announcement.

Are you guys basing the software lineups on games you've played or on the announced games for each system?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yep, yep, yep. Nintendo always understates their battery life. I like that about them. It pays off to be humble sometimes :)

Top Bottom