• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma on new Zelda: "heavily influenced by OoT, but with a unique style"

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
New control scheme, please.

Playing TWW felt too similiar to OoT, IMO.

I just want something like the light/dark world, or past/future or groundhog day style thing to spice things up. Something that lets the enviroment around you be viewed differently as the game progresses. WW was missing that. Maybe if you'd drained the ocean as you went along and bits of old Hyrule were revealed and you realised that the world was a jigsaw waiting to be pieced back together.

Memles

Die Squirrel Die said:
Maybe if you'd drained the ocean as you went along and bits of old Hyrule were revealed and you realised that the world was a jigsaw waiting to be pieced back together.

You just described one fucking giant Water Temple...sort of.

hobbitx

God I cannot wait for this game, I still wanted a WW sequel, especially after seeing the ending. Still though, getting to go back to classic Zelda roots is so damn enticing. I hope you get another fairy like Navi or Tatl, they were kinda annoying, but the enemy info was priceless at times.

I want to see some massive desert areas in this game too, I noticed that was the one type of terrain I didn't see in the newer Zeldas. Sure there was the dry mountain areas, but there were no sandy deserts, I'd like to visit a robust desert town and do some desert themed quests.

and for the zillionth time, bring back the Lynels, they rocked and would look amazing this gen!

hobbitx said:
I want to see some massive desert areas in this game too, I noticed that was the one type of terrain I didn't see in the newer Zeldas. Sure there was the dry mountain areas, but there were no sandy deserts, I'd like to visit a robust desert town and do some desert themed quests.

Do you count OoT as a newer Zelda, 'cause the Gerudo and Spirit Temple bits were pretty deserty. But I agree that deserts rock.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
See I thought it was to do with Nintendo wanting to do games with smaller teams, faster and cheaper. I think they just underestimated how much people want their Nintendo games to be the complete package.

I agree DSD, I feel that when certain console/software projections were not met, they responded as you stated. Although their major IP releases still enjoyed the bulk of their R&D & finances. Which is why I said Nintendo was apparently aiming for that look for those titles.

hobbitx

Do you count OoT as a newer Zelda, 'cause the Gerudo and Spirit Temple bits were pretty deserty. But I agree that deserts rock.

Yeah that's what I meant about the dry mountain-like areas, that valley didn't really remind me much of an actual desert, at least not the traditional ones full of sand dunes and wind. I was thinking of something like that level from Mario 64, now that's a desert!

Deserty like this:

the-legend-of-zelda-gcn-200405110014144.jpg

hobbitx

I saw that in the video, when you see it from more angles it looks more like a dry dusty field, I think if you look closely enough, you can even see a few patches of dead grass. I'm not complaining though, those fields I saw in that video totally remind of the windy fields from Zelda II which is awesome.

Is anyone else worried that the game will not sell anywhere near its true potential because it's releasing so late in the GCN's life cycle? I can't see this outselling Wind Waker even though this Zelda game is the Zelda that the casuals and many of us have always wanted.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Red Dolphin said:
Is anyone else worried that the game will not sell anywhere near its true potential because it's releasing so late in the GCN's life cycle? I can't see this outselling Wind Waker even though this Zelda game is the Zelda that the casuals and many of us have always wanted.
i can see it selling very well, but not as much as it cvould due to the release of the game being so close to the end of the GC life cycle

psycho_snake

Die Squirrel Die said:
I just want something like the light/dark world, or past/future or groundhog day style thing to spice things up. Something that lets the enviroment around you be viewed differently as the game progresses. WW was missing that. Maybe if you'd drained the ocean as you went along and bits of old Hyrule were revealed and you realised that the world was a jigsaw waiting to be pieced back together.
I don't that this game is a sequel to Wind Waker. I think you play in old hyrule:p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Red Dolphin said:

I think it'll be a major last hurrah for GCN. I don't think the timing of its release will affect its success..there'll only be more GCN owners by then, and it will undoubtedly create major hype. It may not sell many more GCNs (particularly if Revolution is backwards compatible), but I can see a hell of a lot of the userbase picking this up, if not most of it. Games like this don't come along too often..we could be waiting a few years for another Zelda like it, so I think most people will jump at it.

Deg

Banned
Scalemail Ted said:
Deserty like this:

the-legend-of-zelda-gcn-200405110014144.jpg

SWEET

Red Dolphin said:
Is anyone else worried that the game will not sell anywhere near its true potential because it's releasing so late in the GCN's life cycle?

It will end up being the biggest GC title if no other bigger game gets announced. Towards the end of the lifecyle the userbase is at its largest. Therfore sales of software will be at their highest.

Prine

Banned
DSN2K said:
new combat system or least some new moves would be nice.

Agreed. Im tired of that jumping lunge strike Link does.

Lock on system like Ninja Gaiden please. No more Z lock!

SantaC

Aonuma said that there will be a new combat system that will fit a more grown up link. He said this at E3.

where does Miyamoto stand on this projekt?

can someone tell me if he is the director or producer and what else has he done with this projekt, did he write the story?

Eiji Aonuma i guess is the director, but i hope Miyamoto could come back and direct this game.

he should never have left his baby in the hands of another guy.

Zelda was born with Miyamoto and should die with Miyamoto

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
robertsan21 said:
Zelda was born with Miyamoto and should die with Miyamoto

It might work that way in certain circumstances in other creative industries, like books/movies etc. but once a franchise becomes really really big, it scales beyond the responsibility of one person. To use an analogy, if Sam Raimi pulled out of Spidey 3 in the morning, you can be sure another director would step up to the plate. Sam Raimi himself isn't even the original creator of Spiderman.

Plus, Aonuma is more than capable, and it's a good thing he has more control over Zelda now. Miyamoto isn't going to be around forever, and it would be ridiculous to think that Nintendo would just kill all his franchises once he's gone.

to bad!

but i am sure miamoto is still keeping a BIG eye on this new Zelda game,and everything goes thru Miyamoto before it ends up in the game!

Are you kidding? Majora's Mask was a work of genius, besides it's more than just these two guys that make the game. For example Zelda has unbelievable level designers working on it, stuff like the water temple and the stone temple in MM make your jaw drop. Imagine how many sleepless nights those guys had working on those two levels alone.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
SantaCruZer said:
Aonuma said that there will be a new combat system that will fit a more grown up link. He said this at E3.

I don't remember that. I remember talk of new puzzles because Miyamoto asked him to focus on that, I remember talk of the new camera angles in dungeons, of the eye system tracking objects remaining...but I don't remember anything on a new combat system. Outside of fighting on horseback of course.

I'm sure there'll be new elements to the combat, there always are, but I don't think there was any talk of a new combat system.

Feel free to prove me wrong with a link though.

Chibbi Brady said:
Are you kidding? Majora's Mask was a work of genius, besides it's more than just these two guys that make the game. For example Zelda has unbelievable level designers working on it, stuff like the water temple and the stone temple in MM make your jaw drop. Imagine how many sleepless nights those guys had working on those two levels alone.

Majora´s mask is the only Zelda game i never finished, i played every other zelda game from start to the end, but majoras mask just got boring after awhile.

according to me
A link to the past>>OOT>>The wind waker>>majoras mask

ge-man

Mama Smurf said:
I don't remember that. I remember talk of new puzzles because Miyamoto asked him to focus on that, I remember talk of the new camera angles in dungeons, of the eye system tracking objects remaining...but I don't remember anything on a new combat system. Outside of fighting on horseback of course.

I'm sure there'll be new elements to the combat, there always are, but I don't think there was any talk of a new combat system.

Feel free to prove me wrong with a link though.

No, there was talk of changing the fighting system to reflect Link's maturity. I'll see if I can hunt down a link.

SantaC

Isn't there a f*cking search on IGN. This site is a mess. I believe the quote was in the IGN roundtable interview.

SantaC

found it:

Eiji Aonuma: One of my other ideas in Wind Waker was more simplified control for the game, which was tied to the graphic style and the theme of that game as well. One thing that we're doing right now as we go forward is looking at how we're going to show Link in this more grown up role. We ask questions like what kind of control scheme can we implement that's going to reflect that more grown up Link.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/514/514589p2.html

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from, but discussing what kind of control scheme will reflect adult Link is hardly the same as implementing a new combat system.

It'd be nice to see something completely different, as long as it worked well, but I except we'll see a very similar system to the other 3D games, with one or two things added.

i'm sure all of this has been uttered in some way, form, whatever, but i'll throw in my thought.

i'm hoping for a great variety in worlds, all with their own charm and cool aspect you discover on the way; similar to Ocerina of Time. I dunno why but i have in my head that they'll stick with the grassy knowles of Hyrul field as well as the dungeons and stuff.

Wind Waker avried things well imo, with the views of of the game. It wasn't so much the visuals, as it was the view of a giant dugeon in comparison to the elfin teen that had to navigate. Views warping as you scale the outer wall of a rocky volcanic mountain. You felt you were controling the character instead of a "tool" for moving hither... and thither...

i also pray for a more indepth fighting system. Ninja Gaiden can do it. why can't lil' link? Give him some of the swords moves we saw in Soul Calibur 2 EAD! I just don't feel like using the same 3 hack and slash animations for 25hours. sue me.

finally i'd like to see hear a full orchestral score as i nvigate this game. no blips and blops. thnx.

in summery, i think everyoe would like to revisit that feeling of getting a nintendo console, swithcing it on, and viewing Link looking as best he can with the power of new hardware. TOoT illustrates this purrrrrfectly. With a sweeping score, revolutionary combat and pitureque scenery, coupled with intelligent puzzles and charming moments (Nintendo made fishing cool again... or just cool then).

i'm sure they have it in them to churn one more epic out this gen.

AssMan

Banned
I hope Nintendo makes at least one of the villages or towns have a really wicked art style. Something dark and gritty.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
I believe they're well on their way to sculpting out a true masterpiece. Focusing on the tiny details as well as huge, lush, & varied locales. (judging by the minute demo I was luckily enough to be able to view live) A definite improvement would be an adjustable difficulty setting. I liked many of the WW's enemy AI random responses, though the bottom line is that they were far too easy to defeat. Much of the dungeon design was pure beauty. I agree w/otheranthony-ns, a fully orchestrated score would be the only route to take.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the new battle system could be influenced by soul caliburs mechanics. Once you lock on to a target you are engaged in pretty much the same fashion as you are in soul calibur.

You could combine weapons with the attack buttons for special moves like hitting bombs at people with your sword or knocking enemies into the air and shooting them with the bow.

Chrono

Banned
It'll be freakin' torture waiting for this game. :(

I am hoping for a new combat system that allows more complicated sword fights. The best things about OOT for me was the Gerudo Fortress. The sword fights rocked.

psycho_snake

Personally, I like the Zelda battle system, although I would like some additions to it, such as magic spells and cool moves like in Ninja Gaiden or Devil may cry

hobbitx

finally i'd like to see hear a full orchestral score as i nvigate this game. no blips and blops. thnx.

ugh, give me my electronic tunes anyday. I wish more of WW's music sounded like the stuff from Hyrule castle and the last dungeon's songs, that music was wonderful, I hope the next Zelda has more music like this, the new, more mature theme demands it.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Whatever changes they make, it's next year's biggest & most anticipated title by far. Dwarfing KOTOR II, Conker, FFXII, God of War, Phantasy Star Universe, Enthusia, KZ, DOA4, etc.

Deg said:
It will end up being the biggest GC title if no other bigger game gets announced. Towards the end of the lifecyle the userbase is at its largest. Therfore sales of software will be at their highest.

Not necessarily. Many high profile N64 games didn't sell very well (or as well as their prequels) towards the end of the N64's life cycle. e.g. Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie, Conker's BFD (did very poorly sales wise and was a great game). People had given up on the N64 and stuck to their PSX or moved onto the PS2. Just because you own a console doesn't mean you keep buying games for it. I think a big difference that will help with sales will be the backward's compatability of the Revolution.

Top Bottom