• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma on new Zelda: "heavily influenced by OoT, but with a unique style"

Bishman

This will be one of the biggest game ever, but too bad it is releasing so late for the GC. If the Revolution were to lauch with this new Zelda, Nintendo would do better in the marketplace and with the media.

Deg

Banned
Red Dolphin said:
Not necessarily. Many high profile N64 games didn't sell very well (or as well as their prequels) towards the end of the N64's life cycle. e.g. Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie, Conker's BFD (did very poorly sales wise and was a great game). People had given up on the N64 and stuck to their PSX or moved onto the PS2.

I am well aware of that and the N64 but this the GC we are talking about plus the games you mention above were all by Rare and were let downs.

Zelda will get huge sales on GC. MKDD probably at 4 million by now. If Revolution is backward compatible. Expect afew sales because of that.

Deg said:
I am well aware of that and the N64 but this the GC we are talking about plus the games you mention above were all by Rare and were let downs.

Zelda will get huge sales on GC. MKDD probably at 4 million by now. If Revolution is backward compatible. Expect afew sales because of that.

I actually forgot to mention Zelda: Majora's Mask as it did no where near OoT's sales if I remember correctly. Zelda: MM was faced with the PS2 launch and I fear that the new Zelda will be faced with the Xbox 2's launch. But like I mentioned, backwards compatibility will make a big difference for those who have long "dumped" their GameCube like they did with the N64.

Conker was a fantastic game btw! As was Perfect Dark (multiplayer at least! single player not so much). Banjo Tooie was pretty average I agree.

jarrod

Banned
Red Dolphin said:
I actually forgot to mention Zelda: Majora's Mask as it did no where near OoT's sales if I remember correctly. Zelda: MM was faced with the PS2 launch and I fear that the new Zelda will be faced with the Xbox 2's launch. But like I mentioned, backwards compatibility will make a big difference for those who have long "dumped" their GameCube like they did with the N64.
Majora's Mask also required the RAM pack and had an unorthodox world design that many OoT players couldn't grasp. Lower sales weren't simply due to the PS2...

Kuramu

spoiler... surprise ending:

miyamoto.jpg

AniHawk

Red Dolphin said:

Conker was a fantastic game btw! As was Perfect Dark (multiplayer at least! single player not so much). Banjo Tooie was pretty average I agree.

It's also possible for the game to get some life back into the dying system like DKC did for the SNES. The next gen began in 1993/1994, and the big boys, Sega and Sony had their systems out by 1995, but DKC went on to sell 9 million copies worldwide, pretty much because of the graphics.

I'd say this new Zelda echoes DKC's days than MM's.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Red Dolphin said:
Not necessarily. Many high profile N64 games didn't sell very well (or as well as their prequels) towards the end of the N64's life cycle. e.g. Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie, Conker's BFD (did very poorly sales wise and was a great game). People had given up on the N64 and stuck to their PSX or moved onto the PS2. Just because you own a console doesn't mean you keep buying games for it. I think a big difference that will help with sales will be the backward's compatability of the Revolution.

RD, there's no PS3, & there's no Revolution until the beginning of the 3rd & 4th qtrs. projected respectively for both systems for '06. HUGE DIFFERENCE. MS is not Sony, additionally we would've seen all 3 systems & comprehensive specs. at E3 '05. Many multiple system owners may/will hold out.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Also don't forget that Microsoft will only be capable to release Xbox 2 in one region, if at most, two.

What would really kick arse is if Nintendo release this multi-regional at the same time aka OoT style.

jarrod

Banned
Li Mu Bai said:
RD, there's no PS3, & there's no Revolution until the beginning of the 3rd & 4th qtrs. projected respectively for both systems for '06. HUGE DIFFERENCE. MS is not Sony, additionally we would've seen all 3 systems & comprehensive specs. at E3 '05. Many multiple system holders may/will hold out.
True, Dreamcast certainly didn't hurt OoT in 1998...

Li Mu Bai

Banned
And speaking of PD, it eclipsed a million+ in sales in NA iirc. This is considered poor now? What were it's ww numbers, as Rare was at the height of its popularity then in the UK. (N64 era)

human5892

Queen of Denmark
TheGreenGiant said:
whatever the instance... I hope Nintendo learns from Twin Snakes and better NOT FUCKING ANNOUNCE DOWN THE LINE THAT THIS IS A REMAKE.
If it's a remake of the original LoZ, I think that's apples and oranges; a remake of an 8 bit game that's almost two decades old is a lot different than a remake of a 32 bit game that isn't even one decade old.

Of course, I really, really doubt that it will be, but just supposing it was.

No.

THe problem with remakes is that you feel like you're revisiting the same game which isn't always a good thing. As brilliant as REmake was... I was hindered from truly loving it from the odd sense of familiarity.

Newness > Remakeness

While a game like the LOZ series has relied on several conventions that define the series; and hence that sense of familiarity in :

a) LINK
b) instrument
c) gadgets; upgrades; fairies

revisiting a story is not a great move IMO, So far.. all next gen Zeldas have had a new differing story that is able to grip the gamer. By removing that; Nintendo has lost, dare I say, 2/3 the wonder of a great Zelda game.

I hope to hell its not a remake. Please please please please please. Not a remake.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
TheGreenGiant said:
No.

THe problem with remakes is that you feel like you're revisiting the same game which isn't always a good thing. As brilliant as REmake was... I was hindered from truly loving it from the odd sense of familiarity.

Newness > Remakeness

While a game like the LOZ series has relied on several conventions that define the series; and hence that sense of familiarity in :

a) LINK
b) instrument
c) gadgets; upgrades; fairies

revisiting a story is not a great move IMO, So far.. all next gen Zeldas have had a new differing story that is able to grip the gamer. By removing that; Nintendo has lost, dare I say, 2/3 the wonder of a great Zelda game.

I hope to hell its not a remake. Please please please please please. Not a remake.
What about being able to revisit all of your old favorite locations of the original game in 3D, or seeing how they modelled some of those old bosses? A remake of a super-old game like the original LoZ has its selling points (most of them rooted in nostalgia) just as much as its downsides.

But, as I said before, this is almost assuredly a moot point, because I really don't think the game is a remake.

Top Bottom