• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma thinks that he can top Breath of the Wild. How?!?

Nottle

Let's distance ourselves from this phenomenal game and maybe we'll see a few areas it can improve.

Try hard enough and you'll never run out of ideas.

It wouldn't even be bad if the next Zelda game was a bit smaller of an experience that was tight like Link Between Worlds. Maybe make another 2d Zelda that turns things even more on the head?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Playing it now and there's plenty of room for improvement. Some of the gameplay ideas could be better refined such as the weaponry and temperatures. Though I am at a loss as to how he could completely top it ten-fold.

Two words.

Grappling Hook

RE4 is perfection. If have any issues with that game, it's not because of some game design flaws, it's because you yourself suck as a player.

When it comes to story, RE4 fucked up the whole buildup for Umbrella's downfall.

When it comes to gameplay, it has way too many pointless QTE's

Mihos

Gold Member
More music, the game puts me to sleep as it is. I actually don't like the sound in this game at all

Fix the frame rate

Make cooking not annoying, the 'hold' mechanic is horrible

Way to easy to exploit with the save system, pretty much no death penalty as a result.

I reaaly, really hate the weapon damage system.

Game desperately needs more controller remap options

Game looks 'muddy' to me on the tv, it may be something I have set wrong or a by product of the art style

Honestly, I can't help but think how much better the game would have been if it was on another platform

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Maybe there's already a setting for this - or maybe people might think this would make things too easy - but it would be nice if, when a weapon breaks, the next best is equipped automatically. I can see why some might prefer to be explicit about equipping, but fiddling with the left buttons to swap in a weapon in the middle of a fight feels like a big flow interruption.

cackhyena

I've already been playing for what feels like far too long and I've barely scratched the surface; I just installed the Parental Controls app on my phone just so that I can track my play time because I'm pretty sure I've already dropped more than 15 hours into it and I'm only up to the first village. The surface is barely scratched. And yet I feel no pressure to go any faster because every inch of this world is a blast.

This is exactly my situation rn as well. This game is somehow living up the expectations I had watching the first game play where they showed Link climbing anything. I just can't believe that's the case.

Majukun

just take what you have created and build on top of it, more enemies, more mechanics and interactions... they have already a solid foundation

Hw could start by not trying to poorly ape mechanics from better games.

- Combat is still too simplistic for tge kind of grand battle they seem to envision with the final boss fight. Similar goes for climbing. They seem to of implemented it with copying SotC in mind but do not put in complex large boss fights like you saw in that game.

- Boss fights in general look like a huge step back for the franchise.

- The crafting mechanics are largely superfluous.

- Terrible voice acting.

- Lack of much in the way of a cohesive story.

Kuro

They could definitely improve the controls and inventory management. Also maybe get rid of the whole weapon durability gimmick.

TheJoRu

BotW is a masterpiece, but it's not flawless. It's a little bit like Super Mario Galaxy in that sense, in that there could be an iteration down the line that decisively improves things in various ways. The main problem is not making a "better" game, it's making a game that leaves an even stronger impression on you than BotW. It's not an easy thing. That feeling of playing a new entry that's completely different from anything that came before it is very strong.

It's why I always hold the first Super Mario Galaxy closer to my heart than the second, even though the latter definitely made some improvements.

Vinc

Give this the majora's mask treatment and iterate on the same assets with a cool dark tone and unique concept. I dream of a MM successor these days...

Caelus

He already did. With wind waker

...no.

I think there are still plenty of areas to expand and improved upon. There's still points of missed potential even within this amazing game. Breath of the Wild should be used as a jumping off point for future Zeldas.

They could definitely improve the controls and inventory management. Also maybe get rid of the whole weapon durability gimmick.

The word "gimmick" continues to degrade with use, like the weapons in this game. Though I agree with the inventory management needing work.

Jashobeam

He already did. With wind waker

seh6p.gif

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Get as much headway out of that engine as possible. They have such a solid foundation already.

Bring me back to Termina with a weekly schedule. No forced time limits but open world Termina with Monday-Sunday scheduling for similarish structure in side quests to MM would be amazing.

Neff

It can be done. BotW is an amazing game, as fresh a take on the franchise as OoT, LttP, or the original Legend of Zelda were. But it's not a perfect game by any means.

4 years? Pffft more like 6 years. Nintendo played everyone who bought a wii u based off that 2011 zelda tech demo. 6 years later they finally release a zelda game. Pathetic.

JB2448

4 years? Pffft more like 6 years. Nintendo played everyone who bought a wii u based off that 2011 zelda tech demo. 6 years later they finally release a zelda game. Pathetic.

giphy.gif

Never, ever buy products based on what isn't out. Plans change. People buying a Switch for Xenoblade 2, for example, can't count on it being 2017 at all. At all. People buying it for the oft-rumored Pokémon title can't even count on that getting announced.
Be reasonable with your purchase decisions. Buy systems based on the games you can go to the store and/or eShop and play right then and there.

As for topping Breath of the Wild: Surely it's possible, but right now, I'm drawing a blank as to the last time I've had so much fun playing an open-world title. This is the one to beat on every level.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Pathetic that they did end up releasing a wonderful game on the console they promised to release it on while also using said wonderful game on their newer platform as a great launch title while also ensuring that the folks who bought the Wii U for the game still got a great version of the game that even enjoys some decent parity with the new platform's version? Pathetic huh? Yeah.....I can see that you earned your tag fair and square.

hotcyder

Wellllll...

They could avoid having to do a post-calamity setting next time and make it more of a living, breathing hyrule - cities, towns, really fill out the map.

Also, weapon repairing/upgrading.

Also a little bit more crafting could be good. Maybe bring back bombs and have them and arrows be craftable, sticks to swords/boomerangs.

Kyuur

I'll echo that while the game is absolutely fantastic, there is absolutely room for improvement on this 'new style' Zelda.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Imagine the vast open world of BoTW combined with floating islands. Bring back the giant birds from Skyward Sword, make the controls not suck, and give us badass arial combat. Fill the world with airships and giant floating landmasses and lots of verticality.

I would love to see what a Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Majora's built from the ground up for the switch would be.

I just feel so enthused.

Teletraan1

Banned
Start with a properly performing game. I am enjoying the game despite its issues but the game on Wii U performs worse for me than AC:Unity did at launch. Combat feels fucked when you are battling the frame rate more than the enemies. It isn't just towns where the framerate is crap which is mostly what we have heard. It is anywhere there is an alpha effect, anywhere there is groups of enemies. I have even had some of those 1 framerate slide shows that I would never thought I would experience in a NIntendo game while fighting multiple enemies. The game's poor performance totally affects gameplay in a negative way for me. Personally anyone who gave this game a 10/10 is not to be trusted since they clearly do not value performance enough to not lie to their audience with these phoney 10s even if they bury these issues in the review text. Make the score reflect the text instead of handing out prizes to developers. Game is now bullet proof from criticism here because of these inflated scores and I fully expect to get shit from people for writing this.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Zelda as a playable in the DLC.

EDIT: Did any of you already beat the game to be able to make a honest assessment of needed improvements?

fastmower

Start with a properly performing game. I am enjoying the game despite its issues but the game on Wii U performs worse for me than AC:Unity did at launch. Combat feels fucked when you are battling the frame rate more than the enemies. It isn't just towns where the framerate is crap which is mostly what we have heard. It is anywhere there is an alpha effect, anywhere there is groups of enemies. I have even had some of those 1 framerate slide shows that I would never thought I would experience in a NIntendo game while fighting multiple enemies. The game's poor performance totally affects gameplay in a negative way for me. Personally anyone who gave this game a 10/10 is not to be trusted since they clearly do not value performance enough to not lie to their audience with these phoney 10s even if they bury these issues in the review text. Make the score reflect the text instead of handing out prizes to developers. Game is now bullet proof from criticism here because of these inflated scores and I fully expect to get shit from people for writing this.
That's why I love and respect Easy Allies. They were very honest and the score reflects it.

ckaneo

Put some actual dungeons in the world
Make the Shrines fantasy warp points to exotic worlds/themes
Add items back.

And take the story serious for once. The overall story can be good versus evil, just strengthen the smaller narratives like they did the npcs.
For example, show more flashbacks of link stealing away Mipha and the anger the Zoras suffered when she died cause she couldn't heal the sick anymore. Or something like that

Easy. Make a Majora's Mask to Ocarina-esque sequel (minimal time for development, heavier story focus, reused assets, darker tone, etc).

Top Bottom