• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma thinks that he can top Breath of the Wild. How?!?

The Lamp

He means he could patch it so you can drop weapons and gear from the analog stick quick inventory, patch the frame drops, and include obtainable logs of all recipes and item locations...surely.... :)

genuinely curious here and not trolling; what exactly makes this game so great that it deserves so many perfect scores?

i'm preeetty ignorant here, as i've only watched the trailers and some streamed gameplay and i honestly do not get it. to me it looks like more of the same, i got Twilight Princess vibes from it (which to me is a really boring game). i must be missing something, what is it? the world doesn't look like anything special (from the little i've seen), visuals are underwhelming, music i didn't even notice, combat looks old school which is fine but ehh.. where's the 10/10 material? what lifts this above other open world games like The Witcher 3 etc?

LotusHD

Banned
genuinely curious here and not trolling; what exactly makes this game so great that it deserves so many perfect scores?

i'm preeetty ignorant here, as i've only watched the trailers and some streamed gameplay and i honestly do not get it. to me it looks like more of the same, i got Twilight Princess vibes from it (which to me is a really boring game). i must be missing something, what is it? the world doesn't look like anything special (from the little i've seen), visuals are underwhelming, music i didn't even notice, combat looks old school which is fine but ehh.. where's the 10/10 material? what lifts this above other open world games like The Witcher 3 etc?

Reviews are out ya know

Skeletos311

So you're saying go back to the old formula....

I do think it would be cool if there were some permanent weapons and what not. I like the weather, cooking, weapon degradation, etc. Weapons break pretty fast in the beginning of the game though. Jumping is great.

If by old formula you mean the LttP game game structure, no. I'm fine with the way the game progresses. You can change the LttP structure and still have traditional Zelda things, see LBW.

duckroll

First step in topping BotW: Making a BotW where taking off all your clothes actually affects your heat and cold resistance. :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
First step in topping BotW: Making a BotW where taking off all your clothes actually affects your heat and cold resistance. :p

But gives you a bonus to stamina and speed, right?

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I know the strong work that Aonuma and Miyamoto have both put into the Zelda series but can someone clear something up for me? How is it that we always talk about Aonuma as if it's his hand specifically that have created these last few games when he hasn't directed them? Isn't it ultimately the director's vision that we receive? I've never once heard the director's name brought up when talking about Breath of the Wild and it's always Aonuma and Miyamoto. Is Fujibayashi just a puppet for Aonuma without the normal control of a director over his own project or what?

Permanently A

I haven't played the game but from reviews I gather that everything is incredibly polished and the freedom the game provides makes it, to a lot of people, the first open world game done right. For example in Ubisoft games you climb a tower and every point of interest nearby is marked for you on the map - here after climbing a tower, the only thing revealed on the map is the topography nearby. Its up to you to actually scan the horizon and mark down things that interest you to explore later. I think things like that go a long way towards making the world feel engrossing and immersive.

qko

Now I want to see that Hyrule Wars idea flesh out. Imagine a co-op MOBA set in the time of
Champions, Guardians and Divine Beasts

I think it would be a fun offshoot.

duckroll

But gives you a bonus to stamina and speed, right?

I was just thinking it should unbalance the resistance so you're weaker towards cold and stronger against heat. Just makes sense to me. But sure, maybe you can run faster and climb faster too!

Schnozberry

I was just thinking it should unbalance the resistance so you're weaker towards cold and stronger against heat. Just makes sense to me. But sure, maybe you can run faster and climb faster too!

I'm still waiting on naked Link speedruns with nothing but tree branches.

Red

Then maybe play it and see for yourself. Its the biggest departure from traditional Zelda that the franchise has ever done.
I don't know. In many ways it feels like a return to roots. 3D titles so far have followed the model of A Link to the Past. BotW feels more a descendent of the first NES game.

duckroll

I don't know. In many ways it feels like a return to roots. 3D titles so far have followed the model of A Link to the Past. BotW feels more a descendent of the first NES game.

In some ways, but it really isn't anything like any Zelda before it. It's kinda like going from Zelda to Zelda 2. It's totally... something different. I would say it's less of a return to the roots and more of a realization that Zelda doesn't have to be confined to what it is, because the first two games already proved that it can be very different things.

Red

In some ways, but it really isn't anything like any Zelda before it. It's kinda like going from Zelda to Zelda 2. It's totally... something different. I would say it's less of a return to the roots and more of a realization that Zelda doesn't have to be confined to what it is, because the first two games already proved that it can be very different things.
That's another way of thinking about it. To me in a real sense it feels like an adoption of the ethos of the first game, even if it departs in the design. It plays like how the first game was described by press and the development team. Nonlinear and explorative, driven by experiment and player choice. Story pared away so that it can emerge from the player's interaction with the world.

They can't return to smaller, concise Zeldas now thought, right? They've pulled off what they did with ALBW, where we can now complete objectives in the order we want to. Where stopping Gannon simply comes down to how strong we want to be when we face him.

Like, this is the Zelda where I want to see the most number of things brought over into every Zelda after it. You can't get rid of climbing now, or sprinting that was introduced in Skyward Sword. Really, they just need actual dungeons, and some sort of crafting system for weapons and shields. The shrines and dungeons are neat, but they're just too small. These all feel like small parts of a whole, and I'd rather have those wholes. We're also missing out on a lot of boss fights because of this design decision. While I love the enemy variety in the game, dungeons and bosses are usually the most memorable aspects of the games, and they've managed to dip down beneath even Majora's Mask in this aspect.

Also, everybody complaining about the music. Have you beat the game? I love the music.

And approaching this from a technical standpoint of "well, the game could run and look better"... That's something that could be done solely from Cemu getting an update, or the game being ported to their next console. We're talking sequels here.

Opa-Pa

I know the strong work that Aonuma and Miyamoto have both put into the Zelda series but can someone clear something up for me? How is it that we always talk about Aonuma as if it's his hand specifically that have created these last few games when he hasn't directed them? Isn't it ultimately the director's vision that we receive? I've never once heard the director's name brought up when talking about Breath of the Wild and it's always Aonuma and Miyamoto. Is Fujibayashi just a puppet for Aonuma without the normal control of a director over his own project or what?

Actually I was wondering the same... Like okay, I respect Aonuma's work a whole lot and it's fine that he's been interviewed often, but now he even "promises" that future games can top this one while not even being the director? That's kind of bold. It's similar with Miyamoto and that's even worse since as far as I'm aware, he's been little more than just a consultant for the series lately.

I've seen exactly one interview with the actual director, I think it was in some famitsu number... So I really want to think he's just shy, or that Aonuma has had a way more active role than your regular producer, because otherwise, that's kind of disrespectful to say the least.

a916

Better storytelling?

Then again how do you do that but leave that sense of wonder and freedom that you get from freeing the reigns?

Voice acting for one (for the NPCs) is a must, come on fam... it's 2017.

LordKasual

Banned

It's something that happens pretty much only with Japanese developers, for some reason the lead designer is the spearhead for all the praise and criticism.

Sakurai for Smash, Miyamoto for Mario, Aonuma for Zelda. They're pretty much hailed as genuises when their games do good.

But watch this:

Who was the lead developer for Metroid Prime?

I'm willing to wager that about 95% of Nintendo and even Metroid fans have no idea, and that is one of Nintendo's most successful series.

They just say "Retro Studios"

jariw

Apparently, Nintendo doesn't use the director/producer system used in the west, they use a Kacho/Bucho system. Director/producer titles are just to make more sense for the western people:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231044246&postcount=4508

LordKasual

Banned
Link staying male and having a full game playing as Zelda would be much better. There's no need to make Link female. I want to play as Zelda, it would be awesome.

This could potentially result in one of the most interesting Zelda games ever. Play through the game from the perspective of the Triforce of Wisdom instead of courage.

Replace items and gear with Zelda learning new magic spells and abilities. You don't even have to give her a sword.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't even tried to play around with the Triforce forumla yet. They could have come up with so many interesting games.

Then maybe play it and see for yourself. Its the biggest departure from traditional Zelda that the franchise has ever done.

i'll never get to play it since it won't come out on my console of choice. don't have the time or money for multiple consoles anymore..

how does it depart fron traditional Zeldas so that it deserves perfect scores? what new revolutionary things does it do? or is the overall polish just that good that it doesn't really need to do anything particularly new? i'm guessing the latter but i might be wrong..

Peltz

How about real dungeons straight in the overworld instead of 120 glorified Riddler trophies with loading screens? Or anything that isn't standard open world fare like the towers, enemy bases, etc. As cool as "you can climb that mountain" is in the first minute, I haven't yet found any truly awesome rewards (nor vistas, since the art direction and graphics in general are particularly.underwhelming on mountains).

There is no pleasing you. This game is gorgeous and the sense of discovery out in the overworld is phenomenal.

jariw

i'll never get to play it since it won't come out on my console of choice. don't have the time or money for multiple consoles anymore..

how does it depart fron traditional Zeldas so that it deserves perfect scores? what new revolutionary things does it do? or is the overall polish just that good that it doesn't really need to do anything particularly new? i'm guessing the latter but i might be wrong..

Here's the review thread. Read a couple of reviews. Kotaku, Trusted Reviews, Waypoint, and Digital Chumps are pretty informative, I think.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349116

Peltz

I've got a way they can top this..... it's ambitious but... Imagine a game of this scale but with time travel.... or a light world/dark world mechanic. It could be bonkers.

Peltz

I think that's always been the case though, especially since Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. Those two games (like Zelda II) shook things up a lot.

Breath of the Wild just does it more so. It's still very Zelda. But now they uprooted some more of the conventions that held the series back and also increased the scale tremendously.

Let's also not forget, this was the first ground-up HD Zelda we've ever gotten. The series was held back a bit by technology on the original Wii. Now, it's being made in a time where open worlds are common-place and on hardware that is very capable of physics processing. Even though they've shaken up a lot, this still feels like a very natural and organic evolution for the series.

Red

I think that's always been the case though, especially since Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. Those two games (like Zelda II) shook things up a lot.

Breath of the Wild just does it more so. It's still very Zelda. But now they uprooted some more of the conventions that held the series back and also increased the scale tremendously.
It's certainly a reevaluation of what the series needs.

ZeroX03

Banned
Breath of the Wild isn't perfect. Plenty of things can be improved, and I'm sure Aonuma agrees. Things can also be done differently and still be wildly successful, as BotW also shows.

It's something that happens pretty much only with Japanese developers, for some reason the lead designer is the spearhead for all the praise and criticism.

Sakurai for Smash, Miyamoto for Mario, Aonuma for Zelda. They're pretty much hailed as genuises when their games do good.

Huh? Ken Levine, Cliff Bleszinski, DRUCKMANNNNNNNNN, etc. Plenty of Western developers who are the name behind the project, good or bad.

TheYanger

Start with a properly performing game. I am enjoying the game despite its issues but the game on Wii U performs worse for me than AC:Unity did at launch. Combat feels fucked when you are battling the frame rate more than the enemies. It isn't just towns where the framerate is crap which is mostly what we have heard. It is anywhere there is an alpha effect, anywhere there is groups of enemies. I have even had some of those 1 framerate slide shows that I would never thought I would experience in a NIntendo game while fighting multiple enemies. The game's poor performance totally affects gameplay in a negative way for me. Personally anyone who gave this game a 10/10 is not to be trusted since they clearly do not value performance enough to not lie to their audience with these phoney 10s even if they bury these issues in the review text. Make the score reflect the text instead of handing out prizes to developers. Game is now bullet proof from criticism here because of these inflated scores and I fully expect to get shit from people for writing this.

I mean, basically every review is for the switch version, and performance doesn't affect the game for almost anyone in that way. Ocarina of Time was ALWAYS as slow as this is at its worst, and look at the scores that game has. Handheld switch is perfect 30 all the time as far as I can tell.

I hope they never do this. Tired of female characters getting the spotlight only as a female variant of a male character. Make a playable Princess Zelda or some other female character that stands on her own and not associated with a male design.

I really hope this person wasn't banned for this post because I pretty much agree with this. Swapping an established character's sex organs is about the cheapest, laziest way to get female representation in something.

Cerium

Actually I was wondering the same... Like okay, I respect Aonuma's work a whole lot and it's fine that he's been interviewed often, but now he even "promises" that future games can top this one while not even being the director? That's kind of bold. It's similar with Miyamoto and that's even worse since as far as I'm aware, he's been little more than just a consultant for the series lately.

I've seen exactly one interview with the actual director, I think it was in some famitsu number... So I really want to think he's just shy, or that Aonuma has had a way more active role than your regular producer, because otherwise, that's kind of disrespectful to say the least.
From Miyamoto:

To tell the truth, in Nintendo there aren't any official positions called "director" or "producer". Instead you have the kacho/bucho (section chief/department chief) system. The thing is, though, people overseas don't get that system. So when I started dealing with overseas folks, I wanted to sell myself to them, so I just wrote "producer" on my business card. With that title, people from overseas could recognize what I do, and it worked all right. Later I got yelled at from the head office about assigning myself titles, but... (laughs) Those are the two reasons I started calling myself a producer.

Aonuma was relatively unknown by the wider public even during the OOT years because Miyamoto was doing most of the press. Fujibayashi will get his time in the spotlight. He is clearly being groomed to take over the series.

KingBroly

Banned
Link staying male and having a full game playing as Zelda would be much better. There's no need to make Link female. I want to play as Zelda, it would be awesome.

Same. I wanna play AS ZELDA.

To have a playable Female besides Zelda for a main Zelda game would really suck at this point.

kitzkozan

BotW with full fledged TP tier dungeons for one. BotW's dungeons are like 3 shrines taped together.

Yup, they should focus more on re-introducing large dungeons now that they experimented and found their formula with open world design. It also goes without saying that it can and should be improved from a technical standpoint.

So, the biggest challenge will be to balance out dungeons (most of them requiring specific items in the past) with the open world design. How can you go anywhere at anytime and still explore tightly designed dungeons in any order you wish? I'm guessing a plausible solution would be a smaller landmass in favor of expensive dungeons similar to past 3D Zelda (which increase the number of boss fight).

Švejk

Banned
I disagree with all these MM darker tones... TP was plenty dark.. MM was just weird... plus it had nothing to do with Zelda. (It's the Dark Souls 2 of the series) If they do, don't call it a Legend of Zelda.

Same. I wanna play AS ZELDA.

To have a playable Female besides Zelda for a main Zelda game would really suck at this point.

At the very least let Zelda(or Sheik) hang with Link the entire game with either a AI character swap or co-op feature.

A full Zelda game with Link and Zelda interacting somewhat like
833622-29e3uxh.jpg
would be amazing.

Top Bottom