• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

SCB3

So after some exploring I couldn't find much of use aside from more Soul items and a nice looking heavy Rapier,

However I ventured a bit further East and found an Elevator...... This is not gonna end well is it?

Withnail

PS4 will have a longer tail. Early adopters of hardware are also early adopters of software, mass market consumers will get it later and most of them are still on PS4.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So after some exploring I couldn't find much of use aside from more Soul items and a nice looking heavy Rapier,

However I ventured a bit further East and found an Elevator...... This is not gonna end well is it?

buckle-up-hold-on.gif

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Man, I'm still using the very first armor I got, looted from the first soldier-like enemies, I haven't found better so I guess I'm really not making much progress. Even the one at the council statue vendor just seems a bit different rather than better, if not worse.
So some where around the starting area I made my way into a basement and opened a chest that teleported me to a mine in the upper right side of the map.

I'm also an idiot and haven't bothered to get my horse.

Mine doesn't seem to bad if I don't agro the guys because I gety shit pushed in. Can't find a way out of the area. Thinking I'm gonna reroll another character.

I haven't come anywhere close to beating a souls game before but this one feels different. The open world is incredible and I like having some of my potions replenished when I kill a whole group of enemies.

If anything I probably should have finished forbidden west before playing this because I don't see myself going back to horizon anytime soon now.
If you haven't solved it yet you basically have to go, as you begin in the area the first time or after a death, the way your character is facing, to the right and down, just stealth around everyone and they won't aggro (maybe first wait for the first one to pass by that hut thing), then wall to wall left and you'll reach a site of grace and be able to teleport again, or try and explore the next area there (when I got there I wasn't nearly strong enough but still explored some and got/saw some cool stuff since I'd lost my runes just before anyway).

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Elden ring might sell more than 10m copies, since its an open world.

This time, it has steam users, so I wouldn't count on that one. Might crack up to 15m though. Especially with that open world tag.
It's going to easily top 10m. Dark souls 3 sold over 10 million copies and Elden ring is going to top that, no question. Once it hit 95+ on metacritic that was all but guaranteed. I see it doing close to 20m within a couple of years

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Man, I'm still using the very first armor I got, looted from the first soldier-like enemies, I haven't found better so I guess I'm really not making much progress. Even the one at the council statue vendor just seems a bit different rather than better, if not worse.

Nah it's not just you, I was using armour I found in my 3rd hour in my 30th hour. I had to go look up and farm a new piece just to have something different to look at. It's probably my biggest complaint with the game so far (which is very minor). I've found a bunch of weapons and spells but almost no cool armour, just one helmet in a dungeon which is insanely good, I wish there was more of that in there.

SCB3

The bosses do not fuck about, I went back and found the Limgrave Tunnels and the Troll in here is a tanky beast, I need to go level my Sword or Axe I think

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
If you are really struggling with Margit, consider the following:

1. You could be underleveled. Go explore the rest of Limgrave and the area beyond to the south. There is a ton to see and experience, levels to gain, flask buffs to find
  2. Upgrade your weapon. You can upgrade your weapon to +3 at the church in the starting area
  3. Summon an AI companion, Rogier. Rogier is a miracle caster who can run interference and chip away at Margit's health
  4. Use your summons. The wolves are great for diversion/damage, the jellyfish is great for tanking. You can use summons even when you've summoned Rogier.

If you follow the grace's guidance from the start willy-nilly you end up at Stormveil castle CRAZY underleveled. Remember that the guidance just points the way, it holds zero consideration for your current level.
I've been upgrading my weapons at the round table. Am I missing something?

jorgejjvr

He's very easy.

Keep your distance. Wait until he does his charge attack and roll backwards towards his horse just as he's about to wack you. You'll end up right on the horses ass after his strike animation is complete and he will be facing away from you. Then give that horses ass a nice kiss and a tap or two but dont be greedy and then back off.
Wait for the charge attack again. Rinse and repeat.
It might take a few minutes but you'll eventually take him out. Basically just attack him after he's done the charge attack. Don't take a chance trying to get in hits any other way.

Of course you can explore more and always come back to him stronger. But if you're patient you can take him out.
I completely get him now for the first half, instantly get him there no problem now. It's when he starts using his shield that takes me for a loop

Last edited:

kikkis

Nah it's not just you, I was using armour I found in my 3rd hour in my 30th hour. I had to go look up and farm a new piece just to have something different to look at. It's probably my biggest complaint with the game so far (which is very minor). I've found a bunch of weapons and spells but almost no cool armour, just one helmet in a dungeon which is insanely good, I wish there was more of that in there.
Starting vagabond armor for me, nothing better in 25 hours.

Do you have to find no skill ash of war for shield? I can't seem to find how to remove skill from shield.

Swift_Star

Banned
jelly is one of the ashen ghosts that u can summon if u got the summoning bell, u can also upgrade them. probably gonna need to find up a youtube video on how to get these :) try searching on summoning spirits
I honestly didn’t know you could upgrade the summon spirits. What materials are necessary?

AV

Do you have to find no skill ash of war for shield? I can't seem to find how to remove skill from shield.

I got lucky on a drop from one of the start zone soldiers which I guess is what the other guy has too. If you want something new you can farm Banished Knight Armor from one of the bonfires in the castle, can't remember the name but it's one where you can walk into a corridor and down some stairs to fight a big knight looking dude and then reset. Took me like 12 kills for the chestpiece.

I've found some shield ashes, yeah. You should be able to remove them at the campfire menu, I'm sure of it. Maybe it needs the blacksmith.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
So, this might be my favorite game of all time. It's without a doubt top 5! The only real negative I can think of is that I generally like open world games, but this game may have just ruined quite a bit of them for me. The complete lack of hand holding and sheer brilliance of having a world that feels like an actual world and not a themepark where you jump from ride to ride is unmatched. It highlights just how shallow most of these games are. The best part is the game has dozens and dozens of jaw dropping moments without having to rely on cinematic set pieces and blockbuster movie camera angles and cutscenes.

Anyway.

There is something I've seen both here and elsewhere that keeps popping up. Too many people are freaking out about upgrading their weapons. Just do it. Especially the first handful of levels, because not only are upgrade materials everywhere but you can buy them later anyway. Also, starting weapons can carry you through the entire game so you can't really mess up by upgrading.

See above.

Easy was the wrong word. More like easy, relative to other bosses. He's mid tier, and I think, well tuned.

Honestly, this is the best kind of game to play without YouTube or a guide. I've yet to look up anything I haven't already completed and I think doing so would only hurt the experience. The beauty of this game, as opposed to every other open world game, is that exploration and discovery are so much more rewarding. Sure, it's obtuse, and you will miss things, but everything you find will be because you found it, not because of a quest waypoint, a question mark on the map, or because you scanned it with a tower. Most games like this, even the ones I really enjoy, are wide as the ocean, shallow as a puddle. This game is deep, and intricate, and awe inspiring, and if you're willing to go where it takes you you'll come away with an amazing experience, whether you find every little secret or not.

Also, don't stress out about "git good". It's an overused phrase that doesn't actually mean much. The Souls games are less about being difficult and more about rewarding patience and perseverance. If you can learn from your mistakes you'll be fine.

Most likely the combat will make or break how you feel about the game. If you're really worried, buy one of the other Souls games on the cheap. If you're cool with them you'll be more than fine with Elden Ring. What system would you be buying it on?

Take your time. Explore. Use the map markers. Learn mounted combat because it helps tremendously once you get the hang of it.

Have fun.

It's an Ash Spirit. You can find it here:

Talk to Roderica at the Stormhill Shack (multiple times) or catch her at the Roundtable, she'll give it to you. It has a ton of HP and shoots ranged poison so is great for when melee spirits get wrecked.
Well, most people actually like to be guided and different games aim at different things and audiences. That doesn’t mean the games are shallow in any way (unless they’re Ubisoft of course). But you’re generalizing games in a very bad way. Not every game has to be like ER or BOTW. I’m glad we have both kinds of games.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Someone sells it. It might be in stormhill, but I'm not sure.

Any advise on his second phase?

Lmao wtf, is people fighting this dude on foot? I did that fight on horseback, and beat him at the third or so try.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Any other Souls' vets actually find it more relaxing when inside the legacy dungeons?

Maybe its just me, but as soon as got inside Stormveil I felt like I was back on familiar ground, could see FROM's usual traps and tricks coming :D

jorgejjvr

Someone sells it. It might be in stormhill, but I'm not sure.

Lmao wtf, is people fighting this dude on foot? I did that fight on horseback, and beat him at the third or so try.
I dont even have a horse lol, i guess you get one later?

My first souls, and as soon as the open world starts, that guy is right there.....its my instinct to go: "yeah i gotta beat this guy before I do anything else"

With your reply....it only makes me want to beat him as I am now even more, and not rely on when I get a horse (whatever that means lol)

SLB1904

Banned
I fought this red phantom looks like the the Eileen the crow from Bloodborne and I got the dual blades but I need to level up the arcane.

Dies anyone know if its worth it. Because they look sexy

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

My first souls, and as soon as the open world starts, that guy is right there.....its my instinct to go: "yeah i gotta beat this guy before I do anything else"

With your reply....it only makes me want to beat him as I am now even more, and not rely on when I get a horse (whatever that means lol)
Haha, yeah I understand, being so close to beating him now it's hard to go away.

You get the horse (very) soon after entering Limgrave, but if you manage to beat him now that'll be quite a feat. :)

jorgejjvr

Haha, yeah I understand, being so close to beating him now it's hard to go away.

You get the horse (very) soon after entering Limgrave, but if you manage to beat him now that'll be quite a feat. :)
I will record it if I do, I can get to half his life no problem now, as per that video. Its the 2nd phase, his range with the shield that now gets me. So I am going to have to learn that phase today

AV

Tree Sentinel is From's way of saying "it's an open world but that does not mean you have to beat every enemy the first time you see it". He's way more powerful than anything in that first zone.

Obviously you CAN beat him naked at level 1, it's Dark Souls, but it's not recommended. I did that fight on horseback too, you get your horse pretty quickly, it just felt right to go jousting :messenger_tears_of_joy:

jorgejjvr

Parry > Tree Sentinel

Might as well figure it out as it'll come in handy later too...
I didnt feel like I was making much progress with a shield, losing a lot of stamina, still taking damage etc, plus you can roll/dodge into him, get to his back, and land blows easily, so I figured I would get more damage in double handed.

Is the parry a tip for phase 2?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I didnt feel like I was making much progress with a shield, losing a lot of stamina, still taking damage etc, plus you can roll/dodge into him, get to his back, and land blows easily, so I figured I would get more damage in double handed.

Is the parry a tip for phase 2?
Poise seems the most nerfed its ever been in this game.

jorgejjvr

Tree Sentinel is From's way of saying "it's an open world but that does not mean you have to beat every enemy the first time you see it". He's way more powerful than anything in that first zone.

Obviously you CAN beat him naked at level 1, it's Dark Souls, but it's not recommended. I did that fight on horseback too, you get your horse pretty quickly, it just felt right to go jousting :messenger_tears_of_joy:
lol okay, yeah i want to beat him as I am before doing anything else then, challenge accepted From

Last edited:

iorek21

This game nails exploration, ambience, level design and basically everything that a open world game should have.

My greatest issue here are the bosses, most of them just suck and feel like afterthoughts, which is a shame after the great bosses from Sekiro.

WoodyStare

Just started today...any tips for a new player?
Try not to be discouraged by difficult enemies or bosses, the more you practice and learn how they move, the better you’ll get. If it feels like you’re barely doing any damage to them, it’s best to go elsewhere and level up before trying again.

If you’ve chosen a class with a sword, know that with a lot of enemies, if you manage to circle around towards their back, hit the attack button and this will either kill them in one shot or knock them to the ground, giving you more time to either heal or continue hitting them. You can even do this to some bosses, which will take a decent amount of their health and buy you some time. Not every enemy will allow this, but it will help greatly most of the time, especially if you’re sneaking around trying to clear an area. Shield block/counter is also essential.

Search absolutely everywhere in an area even if you think there isn’t anything. You’ll be shocked what you discover in the most unexpected places. If you see a glowing skull, hit it as this will give you more runes for leveling.

When encountering friendly NPCs, exhaust all of their dialogue until they repeat themselves. Even then, visit them every once in a while and see if there are more dialogue options.

This game will likely take you 50 hours (being generous) at the very least, assuming you don’t rush through it. Don’t feel overwhelmed, and enjoy the leisurely pace.

Aside from leveling up your stats, you also need to level up your weapons with the Blacksmith at the Round Table. This will make the biggest difference with the damage given.

Best advice I can give off of the top of my head. I’m sure you’ll have more questions as you progress. Good luck.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I should think so, got PS5 version for only £42
Game is cheap compared to other new releases.

TintoConCasera

This game nails exploration, ambience, level design and basically everything that a open world game should have.

My greatest issue here are the bosses, most of them just suck and feel like afterthoughts, which is a shame after the great bosses from Sekiro.
Do you mean the dungeons bosses? Yeah they are less developed, kinda remind me of Bloodborne's chalice dungeons bosses. I think of those more as mini-bosses.

Actual bosses, like Tree Sentinel or Margit, I think are very cool.

Lunarorbit

The PS5 went into rest mode cause I left the game for a while, but with the shitty rest mode bug, it just turns off. Rebooted the system, loaded my game, got the warning that I should "exit" the game from the menu instead. And it loaded right back to when you exit the first tutorial dungeon.
I know this happened Saturday but I'm just going thru old posts now that I'm further in the game.

My power went out for a second yesterday and a similar thing happened to me. Rebooted, got those warnings, and lost 3 hours of progress. Lost some cool weapons too. I had saved at sites of grace several times but... Now after each "dungeon" I manually quit which saves.

Did you come back to the game after taking a break? I ended up getting similar gear after my initial frustration and anger.

iorek21

Do you mean the dungeons bosses? Yeah they are less developed, kinda remind me of Bloodborne's chalice dungeons bosses. I think of those more as mini-bosses.

Actual bosses, like Tree Sentinel or Margit, I think are very cool.
Yes, the main stuff is nice, not Sekiro or Dark Souls 1 level of nice, but okay nonetheless. Even that blue dragon was pretty fun.

But the dungeon stuff is Capra Demon level of stupidity.

TintoConCasera

Fighting Godrick is so fun I may not move forward for a while. I am a helpful phantom.
That fight is hype as fuck. "Witness me!".
Eh no? I've been able to block most humanoid enemies fine with my shield
Yeah same here. The stamina bar seems way longer this time around, so you can block are roll more than before.

With poise being nerfed, maybe he meant that of the enemy? It's easy to break enemy's posie with a few charged attacks, which is pretty usefull for heavy enemies like the octopus with a beak thing.

TintoConCasera

My 7 year old was watching me do it and when he adds the dragon arm, his eyes bulged out and he says "i could do without all that blood"

a game I can't play in front of my child.
There are also bare feet in the game. Be careful or your son might just turn out too based. :lollipop_content:

Orbital2060

The stat that allows you to block. Blocking seems significantly weaker. Even regular enemies can break your block pretty easily in this game.
Poise is your own ability to withstand hits without breaking.

What you are thinking of is the stat that rules your stamina bar. Without stamina you get staggered and take all of the damage from the attack. So when shielding you need to make sure you have enough stamina to take the hit. It changes around a bit with each game, and you have to take the stats on your shield into account, but to get more stamina you need to put points into the right stat. I think its Endurance, or the equivalent of that.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Any other Souls' vets actually find it more relaxing when inside the legacy dungeons?

Maybe its just me, but as soon as got inside Stormveil I felt like I was back on familiar ground, could see FROM's usual traps and tricks coming :D
Very much so.

I feel like I know exactly what I’m doing. I spent however long marvelling at the open world, but as soon as I hit Castle Mourne I knew exactly how to go about things.

What a game.

Lunarorbit

Got a new helm.
84yZzF4.jpg

Thats gotta be jar jar, right?
Started my attempts on this optional boss at 10:30pm

It’s now 2:30am

Gonna call it quits, I really wanted his weapon drop

Can’t believe it’s been 4 hours

My wife woke up and told me it’s almost 3, I didn’t even think it was past midnight

How could replaying the same boss go by so quick

Lol, not quite as late but I got a sarcastic sms where my wife wondered if I planned to sleep by the computer. I was sneaky yesterday and played a bit during the day at some less brutal areas with my 6yo too. 🤫

It’s essentially Zelda Breath of the Wild x Demon’s Souls. Worthy of the praise. Can’t stop thinking about it. Bethesda better delay Starfield to 2023 if they want a GOTY award.
My wife! did the same thing to me this morning. I remember thinking it's 10:30, no big deal. Then I kept going. Woke up at 8 and starting thinking about the game.

Top Bottom