• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELEAGUE Street Fighter V Invitational hosted by TBS

Csr

Not much wiggle room for the low tiers in sfv imo, daigo accepted his fate and moved to a top tier, infil must do the same but i don't think infil is at the top of his game for a few months now regardless of the character, probably because of his fiance and stuff like that.

Boxer gonna take USA all the way to EVO.

Then we can finally have the revenge for when Justin lost with Balrog in GF against Daigo.
It's a dumb character imo. Too many advantages. And have a lol mode comeback mechanics. Not surprised people who struggled earlier now dominating due to the massive bufff he got on season 2. Balrog vtrigger is almost xfactor level stupid.

Dahbomb

It's a dumb character imo. Too many advantages. And have a lol mode comeback mechanics. Not surprised people who struggled earlier now dominating due to the massive bufff he got on season 2. Balrog vtrigger is almost xfactor level stupid.
Yes because we have never had dumb characters before in SF's history and top players abusing them. Daigo would never do such a thing as switch to a clearly over powered flavor of the patch character like Yun for a SF game.

America finally ahead of the curve when it comes to top tiers. Good.

Pick those Lauras, pick those Balrogs... if USA gets that EVO win no one is going to look back in the history books and be like "nah son that doesn't count, he did it with Balrog".

Yes because we have never had dumb characters before in SF's history and top players abusing them. Daigo would never do such a thing as switch to a clearly over powered flavor of the patch character like Yun for a SF game.

Pick those Lauras, pick those Balrogs... if USA gets that EVO win no one is going to look back in the history books and be like "nah son that doesn't count, he did it with Balrog".
Never said anything about USA or Japan. Just taking about my feelings toward boxer.

Dahbomb

I know, I am just going to revel in this short period of time where US players can clap some foreign players.

It's chicken soup for the fighting game soul.

That's just as good because then an AMERICAN character like Guile will be winning EVO for US. Even better in fact... doesn't get more American than Guile.

As someone else put it

Top Tier - You can win
High Tier - You can win, it takes more effort though in some cases depending on the matchup
Mid Tier - Same as high tier but with a little luck
Low Tier - lol

Still, non-US players don't have shit in the way of Lauras and Rogs, so they struggle even more. Time for them to diversify.

I think even Tokido said they don't have strong Laura players in Japan.

Dahbomb

They honestly don't have the same Balrog experience in Japan either.

Like yeah they have Iwate who is a very top level Barlog player but his style is far different from PRBalrog's and Smug's. Far less aggressive and more reactive.

As someone else put it

Top Tier - You can win
High Tier - You can win, it takes more effort though in some cases depending on the matchup
Mid Tier - Same as high tier but with a little luck
Low Tier - lol

Still, non-US players don't have shit in the way of Lauras and Rogs, so they struggle even more. Time for them to diversify.

I think even Tokido said they don't have strong Laura players in Japan.
I think not having an arcade scene really hurt Japan's performance in this sfv era. I see USA domintaing Japan in SF the entirety of sfv lifespan.

Dahbomb

Japan will catch up, I am not even concerned about that. America isn't even super dominant over Japan, it's pretty evenish overall when you compare top players versus top players. It's just that US has never been this close to Japan so it's sort of a shell shock.

I think Japanese players coming to US so often has helped the US players get a read on them. There is more exposure from both ends and those small advantages have evened out over time.

And this is something that I have said since SFV came out but this is a game that favors the mentality of the top American players versus the top Japanese players. This game rewards "cowboy" playstyle. Not saying Japanese players can't be cowboys or that they don't have cowboys (certainly they do like Eita and Daigo in his prime) but this is far more something that Americans are used to in terms of comfort zone. This is a huge can of worms so I am just going to stop here before going further into it.

Ninjimbo

Isn't the Japan scene for this game sort of hampered by the fact that SFV never came out on arcades? But...MKT-Iwate is number 1 right now so they probably have no problems finding talent to practice against.

As for a good Japan Laura, I used to follow AT-Shadow on CFN. He was pretty good.

Kashiwaba

I think it's still too early, around this time last year, everyone thought Nash was unbeatable, then look what happened to him around capcup.

Csr

I think not having an arcade scene really hurt Japan's performance in this sfv era. I see USA domintaing Japan in SF the entirety of sfv lifespan.

Aren't you jumping the gun a little, in the first major of the season an asian player won and a japanese player came second but i could see what you said happening if japanese and other asian players don't find more high level laura and balrog experience or if some of them like tokido and maybe momochi don't move to higher tier characters. There is also the 2.1 patch though so that might change the tiers a little.

I think it's still too early, around this time last year, everyone thought Nash was unbeatable, then look what happened to him around capcup.

The whole game was new then, people had no idea how it was supposed to be played or what to look for when judging how good a character is, people weren't even using dashes for a few months. Also i saw a lot of people saying that it was because of infiltrations strength that he was dominating. Even if balrog turns out that he has a lot of bad match ups there are specific thing about the character as he is now that make fighting him very frustrating but those are things that also make the game more enjoyable to watch so i suspect capcom is unwilling to tone them down.

Ninjimbo

So I'm new to SFV and I don't believe in tiers, but let's just say I did, who are the top tier characters in this game?

I guess I have Ibuki, Balrog, and Guile as top characters. Anyone else? I'm just asking because characters like Akuma aren't considered competitively viable, yet his combos and damage output are extremely high. Someone help me understand how these tiers are determined and why all fighting games discussions devolve into tier debates.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So I'm new to SFV and I don't believe in tiers, but let's just say I did, who are the top tier characters in this game?

I guess I have Ibuki, Balrog, and Guile as top characters. Anyone else? I'm just asking because characters like Akuma aren't considered competitively viable, yet his combos and damage output are extremely high. Someone help me understand how these tiers are determined and why all fighting games discussions devolve into tier debates.

Either tiers do exist, or every character is flawlessly designed to be equal to every other character despite having completely different abilities. Which do you think is more likely?

I don't know the consensus on top 5 but Balrog and Guile seem to be up there.

I'm not any kind of tier expert, but I'd venture that part of the reason discussion inevitably turns to tiers is that in fighting games you don't have teammates to blame for your failures. As losing can be hard on the ego, it helps to have some kind of external reason why you might have lost. To be clear, that's definitely not the ONLY reason, but I think it accounts for some of it.

kirblar

Because matchup-based games like fighters, TCGs, etc. have imbalanced matchups by design, and you then have to balance for different levels of player skill and mechanical skill on top of that. Bison is OPOPOP w/ beginners, so they can't give him the numbers to be super good w/ top tier players or he'd be absurdly oppressive at lower levels.

Ibuki and Balrog both have insane comeback potential. Guile's just really, really goddamn solid in S2. He's top tier but not oppressively so, while the other two can be...much more annoying.

Vice

It's who had the most amount of matchups in their favor and the fewest against them. For example, Balrog does really well against most of the cast aside from grapplers like Laura and Zangief.
Fang is on the other end and struggles with a large chunk of the cast and has very few advantages over most of them.

It's who had the most amount of matchups in their favor and the fewest against them.

Ideally that's how it would be. But mostly people just say "character won x tournament" and "character has y and z" so character is top tier.

The classic "this character is not top tier. How many majors has he/she won?"

Also a character is instantly top tier if there's more than one person who mains the character in a top 8.

NastyBook

Ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun.

USA! USA! USA!

mbpm1

"More triggers than a gender studies student."

Oh shit, lmao

Dude Not ready for the big leagues if he gonna drop sonething like that. TBS ain't twitch/YouTube.

that's odd, he never said anything that out of line in the previous eleague stuff.

You'd expect him to know how to keep that stuff clear of the air.

Vice

Her charging moves just don't work in this game. An interesting but failed experiment.
Aren't they all horribly unsafe on block in addition to not being too spectacular.
I feel making them at least neutral or slightly plus on block would make her a bit more viable. They require a bit of setup and you can only have a stock of one each until v trigger so may as well make them at least close to as good an average EX fireball.

Top Bottom