• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Electric Car Sales Are Surging, IEA Reports

My 2014 Mazda3 will be driven until it blows up (hopefully no sooner than like 10 years from now lol). But after that, I expect a ton of great all electric options.

I got a 2007 Scion Tc. I have set my mind it'll only be replaced by a fully electric car... or a really good deal on a Mx -5.

I'm really looking forward to getting a Hyundai Ioniq EV soon. Most efficient car ever made, so it charges faster than other EV's because it gets more range out of less electricity. Also has a max range of 124 miles, so it outperforms similarly priced EV's (Nissan Leaf, Fiat EV, Kia Soul EV, etc). Also, Hyundai reimburses you for the cost of charging. It's just an incredibly good deal when considering the real cost of ownership in my opinion.

ascii42

A little lifestyle change won't hurt most people. I've definitely changed my driving habits since I got an electric car. But it;s not that much more different than when I went from not driving to driving. I had to plan my routes to get the cheapest gas when I used to drive an ICE car so it's not that big of a leap. Now I plan ahead and check out charging stations when I'm driving to visit my parents in OC or plan to spend a little more time there to charge my car in thier outlet. People will and do adjust so long as it;s not too terribly inconvenient.

By lifestyle change, do you mean, moving?

I have a 2017 volt. My 2001 civic creaked and I wanted to get a plugin hybrid. 95% of my driving is electric. I've gassed it 6 times since getting it 15 months ago. I'm sold on the concept, but I'm not sure I would go all electric today in Canada for two reasons.

Not because of the range itself but rather due to lack of infrastructure. I'm sure it'll be fine in 10 years.

The other reasons is that winters kills battery range. I get 40% less in the winter, so I usually end up driving my gas AWD in the winter.

Chevy Bolts are a steal right now. 30k for 200 miles? If Tesla did it, they'd be selling like hotcakes

Too bad I live in an apartment.

I wonder how future homeownership will affect the sales of electric cars? I sure as fuck can't afford a home in the bay area, so I can't buy an electric car anytime soon

By lifestyle change, do you mean, moving?

No. I didn't have to move when I got my electric car. Lifestylew change like asking your landlord if they can install an outlet for you, or using a charging station nearby(at home or work) to top off. Or shopping where charging stations are more common.

I drive about 20 miles a day. I only really need to top off once every couple of days or so.

Chevy Bolts are a steal right now. 30k for 200 miles? If Tesla did it, they'd be selling like hotcakes

Too bad I live in an apartment.

I wonder how future homeownership will affect the sales of electric cars? I sure as fuck can't afford a home in the bay area, so I can't buy an electric car anytime soon

Bolts don't come standard with quick charging though and on, say, a road trip, you'll recharge a few other Evs faster because they'll refill 100 miles worth of range in a shorter amount of time thanks to more efficient battery packs. I think the Bolt is only as good of a deal as many think it is if you drive 200+ miles daily. Otherwise there isn't much real-world benefit to that range.

Vixdean

When they cost exactly the same as gas powered cars for the same level of driving performance and interior luxury, then I'll buy one. I'm not paying a premium to save the planet when we're still burning tons of fossil fuels to produce the electricity that powers them.

Khaz

No. I didn't have to move when I got my electric car. Lifestylew change like asking your landlord if they can install an outlet for you, or using a charging station nearby(at home or work) to top off. Or shopping where charging stations are more common.

I drive about 20 miles a day. I only really need to top off once every couple of days or so.

Landlord: "lol no"

Charging stations are never conveniently placed right next to your home or workplace, you need to get out of your way to charge and wait how long? I ain't adding a couple of hours to my commute to charge twice a week. And I'm not choosing where to shop depending on whether they have charging stations. I don't go shopping that often anyway.

Electric vehicles only make sense when you are a home owner. It will stay that way until you have superfast (<5min full charge) chargers that can be used like current gas stations.

Plug-in hybrids make the most sense if you want to drive electric, but sadly it doesn't make financial sense yet. Hopefully it will change in the next ten years, so that I can change my hybrid for a plugin hybrid, and charge it when I have the occasional access to an outlet.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

That aint happening.

the_id

i'm interested in an electric car but worried about its maintenance.

How easy is it to maintain these cars and are spareparts easy to come by?

Costa Kid

That's good. I love my Audi A3 e-tron. I think for now hybrids are the only thing I'd go for. I'm not going for a full electric until it's more economically feasible. I am fortunate to have charge points everywhere so I can go everywhere for free with zero emissions.

milanbaros

Member?
Landlord: "lol no"

Charging stations are never conveniently placed right next to your home or workplace, you need to get out of your way to charge and wait how long? I ain't adding a couple of hours to my commute to charge twice a week. And I'm not choosing where to shop depending on whether they have charging stations. I don't go shopping that often anyway.

Electric vehicles only make sense when you are a home owner. It will stay that way until you have superfast (<5min full charge) chargers that can be used like current gas stations.

Plug-in hybrids make the most sense if you want to drive electric, but sadly it doesn't make financial sense yet. Hopefully it will change in the next ten years, so that I can change my hybrid for a plugin hybrid, and charge it when I have the occasional access to an outlet.

Aren't 350kw chargers being deployed later this year with Tesla promising even faster to come.

That isn't gas station fast but it's close enough when you can add significant mileage in <10 minutes.

That aint happening.

In Califonia, they are required to if you want to install a level 2 charger.

A charging station is only a block from where I live and practically everywhere here. I guess I'm lucky I live in California and Los Angeles which are places that seems to have embraced the tech.

There's no engine or transmission in most of them. Still have tires, suspension and stuff that you find in regular cars used by most people today. I don't think it's recommend to service EV by yourself. The batteries and motors are high voltage, high current.

And according to this site: https://bensullins.com/tesla-model-s-vs-competitors-cost-maintenance-including-battery-replacement/

Tesla Model S is much less costly to maintain over a 5 year period than any other sedan in its class.

Edit:
Prices usually fall when demand falls. Unless there is a large cut in supply.

That would be temporary. Long term, the cost of gasoline will increase as demand trends downward.

Less moving parts so less to maintain. I have a 3 year lease and they told me that the only thing I need to change are the brakepads. Not sure on long term viability though. I imagine its the same as with other cars like brake fluids, tires, etc.

No oil changes though!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That would be temporary. Long term, the cost of gasoline will increase as demand trends downward.

Via what means? No one bothering to drill for oil anymore? While that might be an extreme outcome, the more people switch to EV, the more of an impact it will make on the inelastic nature of gas costs, which could have some unforeseen effects.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Even with the supercharger it would take about an hour for a full change, as opposed to 5 minutes at a gas station.

More convenient than overnight, but still a turn off for many.

...and as I mentioned before, the absurd prices of the Tesla's already make them unfeasible for the vast bulk of Americans.

Charge while you're shopping at any number of stores that have spaces for electric cars.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
In Califonia, they are required to if you want to install a level 2 charger.

A charging station is only a block from where I live and practically everywhere here. I guess I'm lucky I live in California and Los Angeles which are places that seems to have embraced the tech.

I live in california too. Only place i see charging stations are shopping centers and when you see a charging station there is usually just a select few and most the time already in use, but ill agree that is going to probably increase over the years. Dont think Ive ever seen one for an Apt complex. Im sure businesses have them but not mine.

Via what means? No one bothering to drill for oil anymore? While that might be an extreme outcome, the more people switch to EV, the more of an impact it will make on the inelastic nature of gas costs, which could have some unforeseen effects.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-ev-oil-crisis/

The article expected a 60% annualized increase in EV sales. 2016 broke 100%. Even if it slows back down to 60%, that would be several million gallons not being used PER DAY. That will lead to a significant stock of gasoline/crude oil. This will put downward pressure on gasoline prices, but that will also negatively impact the oil industry if they keep that level of supply. They will have to cut supply and try to balance the price relative to cost. And in doing so, they will lose the economies of scale the oil industry currently enjoys. Basically, each gallon of gasoline will become more expensive to refine.

gatti-man

I'm interested in electric but Tesla is the only company making decent designs and I don't trust that Tesla will even be around in 5 years plus all their long term tests are filled with random little repairs. I like my cars to work, be fast, and be reliable in that order. I don't have time to be dealing with little issues all the time.

So until Audi or someone I trust puts out a nice awd electric it's not for me yet. Or until Tesla shows they can make a reliable car and also be profitable (Tesla burns cash like crazy and has no real plan for profitability in my opinion). Buying a Tesla, even a model 3, right now is playing fast and loose with your money imo. Your resale could plummet for many reasons such as advances in battery tech, Tesla goes BK, constant small problems scares away buyers, Ford/chevy undercut the market with volume. It's just not prudent at this time. Especially when gas is expected to stay cheap until 2020 minimum.

I currently drive a 2014 rs7 with apr tune and the thing is bullet proof in all weather and as fast as a stock Porsche turbo S.

Before I get called out here is a link showing what I'm talking about with Tesla reliability:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-tesla-model-s-p85d-ev-long-term-test-wrap-up

I was looking at a Bolt. Just yesterday I watched a YouTube review and the driver was getting more than 400km per charge. I also live In a condo without fast chargers and I'd still consider it over a gas car. My Kia Soul cost me $27 and has burnt $6 in gas and has had about 5k in maintenance (including tires) since I bought it in 2010. That is 38k of cost that runs up close the the price of the Bolt.

No more gas cars for me in my future.

I live in california too. Only place i see charging stations are shopping centers and when you see a charging station there is usually just a select few and most the time already in use, but ill agree that is going to probably increase over the years. Dont think Ive ever seen one for an Apt complex. Im sure businesses have them but not mine.
Some of the newer buildings around me (West Hollywood
/ Hollywood) have charging stations built into the garage. Some are even available to the public for a fee.
I was looking at a Bolt. Just yesterday I watched a YouTube review and the driver was getting more than 400km per charge. I also live In a condo without fast chargers and I'd still consider it over a gas car. My Kia Soul cost me $27 and has burnt $6 in gas and has had about 5k in maintenance (including tires) since I bought it in 2010. That is 38k of cost that runs up close the the price of the Bolt.

You have to factor in the electricity costs used though but it will likely be way less than what you paid in gas. Even Chargepoint and Blink, the two biggest charger networks cost about half what a comparable amount of energy you would get from gas. Home electricity setups will likely cost significantly less and there are many free charging stations available in a metro that's big enough, at least in California.

I dunno man, I would consider a car that cost $27 and only cost $6 in gas a comparative bargain

You probably meant $27k and $6k but it's still funny ;)

mashoutposse

Ante Up
The electric car ownership experience is incredible if you have at least 220/240V charging at home. You wake up everyday with a fresh 200+ miles of range, no more trips to the gas station or any energy replenishment place.

99Luffy

Banned

I want one too. The NDP government here is so inept though. A green initiative that gives everyone free led lightbulbs and Nest thermostats.. Still waiting on those electric car rebates though.

The electric car ownership experience is incredible if you have at least 220/240V charging at home. You wake up everyday with a fresh 200+ miles of range, no more trips to the gas station or any energy replenishment place.
Even a regular outlet would suffice. I rarely have less than 80% in my batteries every morning. I don't even plug in everyday and my car only has a 100 mile range (Fiat 500e).

I currently drive a 2014 rs7 with apr tune and the thing is bullet proof in all weather and as fast as a stock Porsche turbo S.

Before I get called out here is a link showing what I'm talking about with Tesla reliability:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-tesla-model-s-p85d-ev-long-term-test-wrap-up

You need an arch-nemesis. I could be that person.

Here's their long term test of the RS7:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-audi-s7-long-term-test-review

Here's the Motor Trend Head 2 Head:
Tesla Model S P100D vs. Audi RS7 Performance

Korey

I'm not going electric until mainstream infrastructure is in place and electric is the norm.

Prices for everything will be lower, mile range will be higher, etc.

I'm interested in electric but Tesla is the only company making decent designs and I don't trust that Tesla will even be around in 5 years plus all their long term tests are filled with random little repairs. I like my cars to work, be fast, and be reliable in that order. I don't have time to be dealing with little issues all the time.

So until Audi or someone I trust puts out a nice awd electric it's not for me yet. Or until Tesla shows they can make a reliable car and also be profitable (Tesla burns cash like crazy and has no real plan for profitability in my opinion). Buying a Tesla, even a model 3, right now is playing fast and loose with your money imo. Your resale could plummet for many reasons such as advances in battery tech, Tesla goes BK, constant small problems scares away buyers, Ford/chevy undercut the market with volume. It's just not prudent at this time. Especially when gas is expected to stay cheap until 2020 minimum.

In Denmark apparently Tesla (and electric cars in general) sales completely collapsed recently

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/d...ales-drop--and-elon-musk-saw-it-coming-2017-6

So my dad says you have to replace the batteries in an electric car every year...I think he's just bsing because he doesn't believe in electric cars being a good replacement but I did want to ask on here if there's any evidence of it.

BADMAN

Prices usually fall when demand falls. Unless there is a large cut in supply.

The idea is that there would be a big cut in supply due to the cost of getting oil out of the ground, transporting and processing. On top of that the Middle East's economy would likely crash which would also fuck up supply.

”China was by far the largest electric car market, accounting for more than 40 percent of the electric cars sold in the world and more than double the amount sold in the United States," the IEA wrote in the report published Wednesday. ”It is undeniable that the current electric car market uptake is largely influenced by the policy environment."

By electric cars, do they mean those electric "bicycles" that people drive around in China? It's actually quite amazing. The thing basically looks like a regular bike with a battery in the center, and it moves on its own. It doesn't pollute, and doesn't make any noise. Of course it also looks weird to the see the peddles essentially act as decoration as the bike moves by itself. I'm guessing the peddles come into play if the battery dies, and it you to peddle to move. Not a bad invention to be honest.

Otherwise, I don't know what they mean by electric cars. I've seen a few Teslas of course, but the most widely seen electric vehicles are those bikes that I mentioned. Also a lot of "hover boards" and other simple electric traveling devices. I saw this one wheel thingy that allows you to co-play as Gizmoduck being used in China.

jkanownik

I bought a Volt last week for myself and my wife got a Bolt today. We live in Los Angeles. Using a regular 110v outlet for now + charging at work/ out and about. Our solar turned on last week and she was more excited about switching over than I expected. I'll probably have to burn some gas before we get a 240v charger installed.

numble

By electric cars, do they mean those electric "bicycles" that people drive around in China? It's actually quite amazing. The thing basically looks like a regular bike with a battery in the center, and it moves on its own. It doesn't pollute, and doesn't make any noise. Of course it also looks weird to the see the peddles essentially act as decoration as the bike moves by itself. I'm guessing the peddles come into play if the battery dies, and it you to peddle to move. Not a bad invention to be honest.

Otherwise, I don't know what they mean by electric cars. I've seen a few Teslas of course, but the most widely seen electric vehicles are those bikes that I mentioned. Also a lot of "hover boards" and other simple electric traveling devices. I saw this one wheel thingy that allows you to co-play as Gizmoduck being used in China.

A lot of Chinese-brand cars you see on the road are electric. BYD vehicles, for instance. In many major cities, it is easier to get a license plate to drive if it is an electric vehicle.

China-Electric-Car-Sales-2016-YTD.png

Top Bottom