• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elemental Monster -Online Card Game- |OT| of 99 cent Platinum trophies

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, this isn't going to be a very good OT. Simply because there is an absolute lack of media from this game on the internet. Any screenshots are either from the Japanese version or off-screen digital camera shots. There is just absolutely nothing usable at all. Oh, except the logo.

0pv7S.png

There. Now that that's out of the way...

Release Date: 12/22/10 (JP), 9/13/11 (US)
Developer: Hudson Soft
Publisher: Hudson Soft
Platform: Playstation 3 (Playstation Network)
Price: $0.99

GAF Elemental Monsters PSN Chat now up! Add SeraphisCain to your friends list for an invite. Be sure to put "GAF" in the message so I know who you are!

Okay, so what is this?

Simply put, and as the game's title might imply, Elemental Monster -Online Card Game- (henceforth referred to as simply Elemental Monster) is an online TCG style game for the PS3. However, despite the emphasis on online, the game also has a very long singleplayer campaign, 12+ hours in length.

So it's like Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh! or something?

Yeah, sort of. It's much simpler than those, though. "Decks" consist of anywhere between 1 and 6 monsters. There are no other card types. Well, there are accessories/equipment cards, but these are also treated as monsters. The first player to lose all of their monsters loses the game. Monsters attack each other directly. The players have no life points of their own.

I hear there's a lot of DLC, and you have to pay to play online? Is that true?

DLC/cards:

There are 215 cards normally obtainable, plus 20 or so Super Rare cards only available as prizes from tournaments. Playing in singleplayer, you can get cards from the first two sets (The Legend Begins and Otherworldly Visitor), and also cards from the third set (Legendary Dragons), but only from the 100 Man Battle. To get cards from the other sets, you have to either win Ranked matches (see below) or buy 24-card booster boxes from the Playstation Store for $4.99 each.

Multiplayer:

Ranked Play: Costs 1 ticket. You have 10 tickets at the start of the game. You can obtain more by either buying them from the Playstation Store (99 cents for 4, $4.99 for 21, etc) or by winning them in tournaments (more on that below). At the end of each Ranked match, you gain XP and get to pick a booster pack (containing one card) from one of the seven expansions. You get a booster whether you win or lose.

Tournament: Tournaments are free to play, however each tournament has a limited number of matches you can play (10 for single win, 5 for best of three). At the end of every tournament game, you get points. If you finish in the top 85% of the rankings, you get the runner-up prize (usually 5 tickets). If you finish in the top 40%, you get the grand prize (usually a Super Rare card, but sometimes something else, such as 7 tickets). You do not get booster packs after tournament games.

Friend Matches: Simply play against a friend. This is free, and no prizes, points, or XP are awarded at the end of the game.

The main thing to remember is that it is completely possible to obtain everything in the game without spending anything more than the initial 99 cents.

Oh, and there's a Platinum trophy. For 99 cents. Yeah.

You, uh...really didn't do a good job of explaining how the game works...

Yeah, I know. To be honest, I'm not very good at explaining things like this. But look at it this way. You've read this far down, so you're obviously interested in the game. And it's only 99 cents. If you like TCG's, you really can't go wrong with this game. Even if you don't plan on playing online, there's still a lengthy singleplayer campaign for you to play, and 12+ hours of play for 99 cents is really one of the best values in gaming right now.

Screens:

Here's the few suitable images I could find of this game. Hey, it's better than nothing.

VD6PJ.jpg

...and that's it. IGN also did a "review preview" video for this, but of course it's not an IGN video without some blatant misinformation. They say that you have to pay to play against friends, which is just completely untrue. So yeah, not going to link that video here. I will, however link to Diehard GameFAN's excellent "10 Thoughts On..." article about Elemental Monster.

http://diehardgamefan.com/2011/09/14/10-thoughts-on-elemental-monster-online-card-game-sony-ps3/

Really, that article has far, far more info on the actual workings of the game than my terrible little OT does. So yeah, go ahead and read that if you're really interested.

Then go buy the game and post your PSN ID in this thread. This game is too damn good to go unnoticed.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's simple compared to some of the other card games I'm playing but it's 99 cents and I already played it for 3 hours.

Cruzader

Banned
Will buy later. Excellent price point for a PS3 title.

More games should be like this for PS3 and PSP including Minis.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Wario64 said:
Should have mentioned 99 cents for Platinum trophy in thread title

Yeah, damn, I should have. :lol Would have at least gotten the attention of the trophy whores. Heh.

I just wish this were available for purchase on Amazon. I'd buy a few codes and give them out to friends. Hell, it'd be worth a few bucks to have people to play with.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Buy this game. I bought this game on a whim because it was so cheap and I don't even like trading card games but I cannot stop playing this, it's so damn good.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I bought this the other day and played about 5 minutes of it.

I have absolutely no freaking clue how it works. It was kind of fun though I guess. I'll get it into it some more.

I think it's worth noting that this Platinum isn't that easy. One of them requires you to win 100 matches in a row and there's a few other pretty absurd ones (at least at first glance).

Still though 99 cents.

Corto

Seraphis, this makes it the second game that I buy on your advice this week. Warriors Orochi 2 is a blast, I'm sure this will at least be worth the price of entry... hehehehe

Edit: Forgot my ID: corto1976 feel free to add

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh, something I forgot to mention: The game also supports gameplay recording and YouTube uploading from within the game.

This isn't my video, but it's a good example of an average EM game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1E8D9wxNjw

Corto said:
Seraphis, this makes it the second game that I buy on your advice this week. Warriors Orochi 2 is a blast, I'm sure this will at least be worth the price of entry... hehehehe

People should definitely listen to me more often. :D

(Really though, glad you're enjoying Warriors Orochi 2, and I'm sure you'll enjoy this as well.)

Toki767

I only made it past stage 6 to where 3 new stages open up.

Apparently you need to be signed into PSN in order to play the game. That kind of sucks but I'm not complaining since the game is only 99 cents,

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toki767 said:
I only made it past stage 6 to where 3 new stages open up.

Apparently you need to be signed into PSN in order to play the game. That kind of sucks but I'm not complaining since the game is only 99 cents,

That's actually where I am right now. I'd really like to know just how many stages are in each of those worlds (7, 8, and 9). I know the game goes up to at least world 11, if not further. And there's the 100 Man Challenge as well. Just so much content for 99 cents, it's almost ridiculous.

And yeah, I can see why you have to be signed in to PSN to play. Your card list is apparently stored on Hudson's servers, not locally. Prevents hacking, I guess.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Einherjar said:
Hmm I can't seem to find the tickets to buy in the PSN store.

Yeah, apparently someone at Sony forgot to put them up, or something. I should probably update the OP, actually.

But yeah, the tickets not being up on the store shouldn't be too big of a problem at the moment. There's hardly anyone playing Ranked right now (it's a brand new game, after all), so you probably won't even be able to use up your 10 starting tickets before someone at Sony or Hudson realizes the tickets aren't available for purchase. :lol

Toki767

I'd definitely like to play some people but I feel like my deck kinda sucks. Haven't been getting very good cards from the packs.

kassatsu

Banned
Game of the forever almost.

You will need to buy a booster pack if you want that platinum though. Otherwise it will take years to get 100 cards

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Seraphis Cain said:
Yeah, apparently someone at Sony forgot to put them up, or something. I should probably update the OP, actually.

But yeah, the tickets not being up on the store shouldn't be too big of a problem at the moment. There's hardly anyone playing Ranked right now (it's a brand new game, after all), so you probably won't even be able to use up your 10 starting tickets before someone at Sony or Hudson realizes the tickets aren't available for purchase. :lol

Uh maybe I'm mistaken but I thought Hudson died a while ago and this was some crazy post-mortem game.

Toki767

kassatsu said:
Game of the forever almost.

You will need to buy a booster pack if you want that platinum though. Otherwise it will take years to get 100 cards
Play the same easy battle over and over lol. It says 100 cards total right, not 100 different cards.

Einherjar

Toki767 said:
I've just been playing stage 1-4 over and over. Up to 50 cards now and 43 consecutive battles won lol.

Have you gotten any rare (R) cards that way?

I've been beating the last boss over and over trying to get the legendary cards, and it feels like it has higher rarity drops, but I'm not certain. I got 1 legendary (the vampire) and about 5-6 rares in two hours of grinding (winning on turn 6~7 each round).

Toki767

Einherjar said:
Have you gotten any rare (R) cards that way?

I've been beating the last boss over and over trying to get the legendary cards, and it feels like it has higher rarity drops, but I'm not certain. I got 1 legendary (the vampire) and about 5-6 rares in two hours of grinding (winning on turn 6~7 each round).
Nope. :(

I'm not even sure what rare cards look like or what packs to get them in.

Einherjar

Toki767 said:
Nope. :(

I'm not even sure what rare cards look like or what packs to get them in.

When you press triangle to view card details, one of the fields is rarity denoted by C (common), U (Uncommon), R (Rare), L (Legendary), or SP (Special, win from tournaments online).

Unicorn

Wario64 said:
Should have mentioned 99 cents for Platinum trophy in thread title
Perhaps by the time trophies hit PSN I was over the whole achievement gathering thing from my 360, but do people still really care about this stuff? I mean to the same extent as they did in 2005-2008, where people would buy games exclusively to increase their score/collection, because most of the people I talk to (online or not) seem to have completely removed the notion that gamerscore/trophies are even worth mentioning. My GS whoring friend hasn't mentioned his e-peen in well over a year.

Toki767

Einherjar said:
When you press triangle to view card details, one of the fields is rarity denoted by C (common), U (Uncommon), R (Rare), L (Legendary), or SP (Special, win from tournaments online).
Ah, looks like I have a lot of commons and uncommons. No rare or legendary yet.

Toki767

I actually saw 1 person in the tournament lobby! I didn't play him though since I feel like my deck still sucks. What cards are people using?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toki767 said:
I actually saw 1 person in the tournament lobby! I didn't play him though since I feel like my deck still sucks. What cards are people using?

Yeah, those "Online" numbers in the lobbies are misleading. They only show the number of people waiting for matches, not the total number of people playing. So even if it says 0, you can likely still find a match.

As for cards, my main deck right now is:

Back: Witch Twins (nothing) (nothing)
Front: Gargoyle Black Knight White Knight
Field: Dark Gem, Wing Formation (+3 Agility)

My strategy is to use the Gargoyle's Evil Eye attack to damage the opponent's first monster as much as possible (and hopefully instakill it, since Evil Eye has a 20 percent chance of that) until Gargoyle is close to death, then use it's Curse of Death ability to kill one of their standby monsters instantly. Once the Gargoyle is gone, the Witch Twins reverse ability does 20 damage to their active monster, and from there I just attack as normal with the White Knight and Black Knight.

I have a few other decks I use, but that's the one I've used the most so far. Worked pretty well up until World 6, then I had to start switching it up.

Tizoc

Just got it and started playing it recently and I'm rather enjoying it =D
Does anyone know what the Win 100 consecutive battles trophy is about? Am I supposed to win 100 matches in a row or something?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Welp, won my first two Ranked matches. They were both against the same guy, and he did have some pretty impressive deck strategies going on. Some crazy rare cards too, which is surprising since I checked his PSN profile card and he's only got six trophies like, ever. Don't know how he managed to get so many rare cards unless he just went DLC crazy.

Got demolished by a Japanese player in the tournament, too. :lol Gonna make a mental note to only play during the day from now on. Heh.

Einherjar

The 100-win thing refers to stage 11-1, you need to win one hundred times in a row on it to clear the stage (there is a suspend feature to stop midway obviously). Apparently, this stage also gives you packs for the Legendary Dragons booster set (1 card at 50 wins, 3 cards at 100 wins).

And hey Seraphis, I think I saw you post on gfaqs and I added you. My PSN ID is LegendsEnd if anyone wants to play some free matches.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Einherjar said:
The 100-win thing refers to stage 11-1, you need to win one hundred times in a row on it to clear the stage (there is a suspend feature to stop midway obviously). Apparently, this stage also gives you packs for the Legendary Dragons booster set (1 card at 50 wins, 3 cards at 100 wins).

And hey Seraphis, I think I saw you post on gfaqs and I added you. My PSN ID is LegendsEnd if anyone wants to play some free matches.

You're LegendsEnd? Awesome! Yeah we'll definitely have to play some matches.

kassatsu said:
Someone should make a psn chat room

On it.

Okay, room's up. Add me on PSN if you want an invite. PSN's SeraphisCain.

GrayFoxPL

Urban Scholar said:
woah .99 cents? A rich story and trophies? Yep playing this on my next day off work.

Wooha what? Lol.

But it's very much worth it. Maybe not as great as planeswalker but very fun and interesting system and the card art is fantastic.

I went online but no one was there. Why?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
GrayFoxPL said:
Wooha what? Lol.

But it's very much worth it. Maybe not as great as planeswalker but very fun and interesting system and the card art is fantastic.

I went online but no one was there. Why?

Ignore the "Online" numbers and try looking for a game anyway. The numbers are misleading and ultimately meaningless.

GrayFoxPL

Seraphis Cain said:
Ignore the "Online" numbers and try looking for a game anyway. The numbers are misleading and ultimately meaningless.
Everywhere was "0", I tried searching anyway but nothing, maybe I waited not long enough.

I try tomorrow.

Oh and Lizardman for the win!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't want to be the harbinger of bad news but I'd imagine you're having trouble finding people to play with online because basically nobody actually has the game. Even though its 99 cents, title really needs an update to reflect that it is 99 cents for a Platinum trophy.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
darkside31337 said:
I don't want to be the harbinger of bad news but I'd imagine you're having trouble finding people to play with online because basically nobody actually has the game. Even though its 99 cents, title really needs an update to reflect that it is 99 cents for a Platinum trophy.

According to my Players Met list, I've played with at least 16 different people since Tuesday. That's not TOO bad for a fairly under-the-radar game such as this.

But yeah, I agree, we need a mod to update the thread title to include the fact that the game has a Platinum trophy.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Conceited said:
Just beat the Demon King, damn that was a tough fight.

The first time I fought him, I wiped the floor with him. Like, easily.

Then I decided to fight him again, to grind for cards.

I got DEMOLISHED. I have no idea what I did that first time to make it so easy. :lol

Also I really really REALLY wish the game would fucking give me a Bird of Paradise already. I've got an awesome deck built, and all it needs to be perfect is ONE Bird of Paradise. Damn thing isn't even rare, just uncommon. But no, all I keep drawing from Otherworldly Visitor packs is goddamn Paintmen. >_<

Toki767

Seraphis Cain said:
The first time I fought him, I wiped the floor with him. Like, easily.

Then I decided to fight him again, to grind for cards.

I got DEMOLISHED. I have no idea what I did that first time to make it so easy. :lol

Also I really really REALLY wish the game would fucking give me a Bird of Paradise already. I've got an awesome deck built, and all it needs to be perfect is ONE Bird of Paradise. Damn thing isn't even rare, just uncommon. But no, all I keep drawing from Otherworldly Visitor packs is goddamn Paintmen. >_<
I think the Demon King alternates between 3 different decks so it's tougher to predict instead of always playing the same deck.

Top Bottom