• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elemental Monster -Online Card Game- |OT| of 99 cent Platinum trophies

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Has anyone else reached 11-12? How the hell do you approach that fight? I think I need more cards that nullify instant death or else that fight is impossible.

Unicorn

Amano artwork mention has me intrigued.

How many cards are playable?

I'm a long-time Magic: The Gathering player; like 15 years long-time. How does multiplayer work?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Unicorn said:
Amano artwork mention has me intrigued.

How many cards are playable?

I'm a long-time Magic: The Gathering player; like 15 years long-time. How does multiplayer work?

There are 215 cards normally obtainable, plus 20 or so Super Rare cards only available as prizes from tournaments. Playing in singleplayer, you can get cards from the first two sets (The Legend Begins and Otherworldly Visitor), and also cards from the third set (Legendary Dragons), but only from the 100 Man Battle. To get cards from the other sets, you have to either win Ranked matches (see below) or buy 24-card booster boxes from the Playstation Store for $4.99 each.

As for multiplayer, there are several options:

Ranked Play: Costs 1 ticket. You have 10 tickets at the start of the game. You can obtain more by either buying them from the Playstation Store (99 cents for 4, $4.99 for 21, etc) or by winning them in tournaments (more on that below). At the end of each Ranked match, you gain XP and get to pick a booster pack (containing one card) from one of the seven expansions. You get a booster whether you win or lose.

Tournament: Tournaments are free to play, however each tournament has a limited number of matches you can play (10 for single win, 5 for best of three). At the end of every tournament game, you get points. If you finish in the top 85% of the rankings, you get the runner-up prize (usually 5 tickets). If you finish in the top 40%, you get the grand prize (usually a Super Rare card, but sometimes something else, such as 7 tickets). You do not get booster packs after tournament games.

Friend Matches: Simply play against a friend. This is free, and no prizes, points, or XP are awarded at the end of the game.

I hope this was detailed enough for you. :D

Oh, also, the main thing to remember is you CAN get everything in the game, including all cards and trophies, without buying any cards or tickets. It may be a little more difficult/time consuming, but it's completely possible.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
This tournament is definitely tougher than the last one, 1 round only and limited to CUR cards. I went 8-2 this time (got insanely lucky on one, should be 7-3) where as in the last one I went 5-0 with ease.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Conceited said:
This tournament is definitely tougher than the last one, 1 round only and limited to CUR cards. I went 8-2 this time (got insanely lucky on one, should be 7-3) where as in the last one I went 5-0 with ease.

CUR cards?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Conceited said:

Heh. I think I went 3-7, MAYBE 4-6. And I still got in the top 40% (I expect that to change by the time the tourney ends, of course). It just seemed like most decks I went up against were specifically made to destroy mine. :lol

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Seraphis Cain said:
Heh. I think I went 3-7, MAYBE 4-6. And I still got in the top 40% (I expect that to change by the time the tourney ends, of course). It just seemed like most decks I went up against were specifically made to destroy mine. :lol

I just use the 2 card line-up with 4 good light based cards, it works well because I have a reversal that switches the opponents jewel to light, so I usually beat any element including dark, where I run into trouble is cards that have double element attacks (i.e the card is light but they have a dark attack).

Seraphis Cain said:
There was a DS version that came out in Japan in 2007. You sure that wasn't what you saw?

I'm pretty sure it was a PC version that they were looking to localize for XBLA or some such.

Unicorn

Open Source said:
I'm pretty sure it was a PC version that they were looking to localize for XBLA or some such.
I would think any card game not under the WotC umbrella would take a long time to properly iron out, considering they would probably have less legwork in play-testing than the giant, WotC.

Toki767

There's something very fulfilling about beating decks people use online that contain rare cards using commons and uncommons.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toki767 said:
There's something very fulfilling about beating decks people use online that contain rare cards using commons and uncommons.

Personally, I've really been struggling to find good uses for the rare cards. They all just seem to cost way too much mana to be useful. I'd love to use Wraith Leeds Murphy in a deck, due to the beautiful Amano artwork, but I just can't find something good to combo it with.

The only rare I've really been able to use effectively is Poseidon, and that's just because I paired it with Grimoire, and that shit combos with just about anything (not Leeds though, since Leeds' biggest draw is it's splash damage).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
One thing that's been bugging me, how exactly do you get new avatars? Is the only way by leveling up your multiplayer level?

Been having trouble finding anybody to play with online all day today. I'd imagine that was because PSN was down for virtually everybody but me apparently :(

Just won a match with my Demon King Zekio deck against another players Demon King Zekio deck because I play Cait Sith who just solo'd his Zekio in the end. That card is unbelievably boss against a ton of decks, really love it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
http://elemon.jp/ps3/us/

Just found out that this has been up for a couple days now lol.

Really handy checklist for each of the sets on that site.

Beat the Demon King on my first try last night, AGI boosted Zeus solo'd the entire thing. Kind of a bummer really.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
kassatsu said:
Where is the checklist?

There are a list of cards for each set under the "Card" button on top. Basically if you go to the card section inside the game there are blanks for cards you don't own / haven't seen. This fills in the blanks as to which cards are those.

Also 2 promotional videos for the game up on the site that were made back in March. I didn't even know Hudson had a YouTube page.

Toki767

There is pretty much a cardlist in that site. Shame it doesn't say whether the card is a C/U/R/L/SR though. Still cool to just see the artwork though.

kassatsu

Banned
darkside31337 said:
There are a list of cards for each set under the "Card" button on top. Basically if you go to the card section inside the game there are blanks for cards you don't own / haven't seen. This fills in the blanks as to which cards are those.

Also 2 promotional videos for the game up on the site that were made back in March. I didn't even know Hudson had a YouTube page.
Pretty sure this game was going to come out then. But then Hudson Entertainment was shut down.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Haha this tournament is CRAZY.

I have Gohen which is an 5 cost Light Uncommon from The Legend Begins, Molten Demon King which is a 6 cost UC from Emperor's Revenge and Large Angel Plumage which is a 6 cost common from Birth of Deities. Everything else is a monolith, boot, arrow or armor.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
kassatsu said:
WTF at this tourney.

Does anyone have any cards that are gears but not support?

I've got a Puppetman Hero I got from a pack of Emperor's Revenge. That's it though.

Oh man, it's going to be diabolical if they hold tournaments limited to cards you can't get from the two base sets.

EDIT: Wow. So basically this tournament boils down to whether or not you have a Gohen Ultra, which can instantly kill gear type cards. Gohen Ultra + a couple of Hermes Boots and I don't see how you could possibly lose.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toki767 said:
It's saying I don't have a deck that qualifies even though I made a deck with just gear monsters?

Your entire deck SET has to be all gear monsters. Just remake that deck in an empty set.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't have a Gohen Ultra at all. I just said screw it and played out matches and lost them all almost all to Ultra just trying to get enough points to get the tickets, think I got the job done.

Toki767

darkside31337 said:
I don't have a Gohen Ultra at all. I just said screw it and played out matches and lost them all almost all to Ultra just trying to get enough points to get the tickets, think I got the job done.
Neither do I. I am at 2 wins and 3 losses on tournament matches at the moment and am at the top 37% though so I think it won't be too difficult getting that Juggernaut card let alone the 5 tickets.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It really is. Working on the 100 match grind right now. Thank god you can suspend at any time and cheese out of losses by quitting via the XMB, can't even imagine how brutal it would be otherwise.

depward

Bumping this to say that this really is a great steal at $0.99 for the base game. It's not the prettiest game in the world, but the card artwork is good stuff and the gameplay is fairly solid.

sleepykyo

When are the tournaments and the rules? It just gives some vague date.
Also I probably should have asked this before I used up the ten trial tickets, but how does 2 out of 3 work?

Is a ticket and pack per game or is it just one ticket and pack per set?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
sleepykyo said:
When are the tournaments and the rules? It just gives some vague date.
Also I probably should have asked this before I used up the ten trial tickets, but how does 2 out of 3 work?

Is a ticket and pack per game or is it just one ticket and pack per set?

2 tickets to play a 2/3 and you get 2 packs.

e: You can tell I didn't actually win the 2/3 I played from the post below me :(

Einherjar

Best of 3 uses 2 tickets. You get 3 packs of your choice for winning (Can choose from different sets for each pack), 2 for losing.

Thinking of buying a booster pack. What does everyone think the best pack is?

I don't plan on buying more packs in the future, since I'd rather just get tickets from tournaments to play online, so I'd like to get the most bang for my buck.

Einherjar

The Grimoire and Sphinx combo is probably the best bang for your buck, will beat all noobies 100% of the time (Sacred War for both, neither is rare).

Top Bottom