• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elemental Monster -Online Card Game- |OT| of 99 cent Platinum trophies

Einherjar

I've been trying to get all the Monolith cards from Birth of Deities, I think they're really good for most decks.

From what I've heard though, Sacred War seems to be the best bet as Sphinx is apparently some rigged card that is common rarity.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Conceited said:
Which deck have you guys been picking from after online matches? I'm sticking with legendary dragon mostly.

I picked Legendary Dragons the first time, just for the trophy, then Sacred War every time after that.

Got a card with Yoshitaka Amano artwork! :D

thetechkid

K8iMi.jpg

Did someone say card games?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Played a couple of games with kassatsu earlier. Good stuff, even though he stomped me both times. :lol

Finally got my Bird of Paradise too. After getting something like six or seven Dullahans in a row. Ridiculous.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm about an hour in and was wondering how exactly do I combine multiples of the same card to make them stronger? Read about in the tutorial but have no idea how to do it. Is this something that unlocks later in the game or something?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
darkside31337 said:
I'm about an hour in and was wondering how exactly do I combine multiples of the same card to make them stronger? Read about in the tutorial but have no idea how to do it. Is this something that unlocks later in the game or something?

It's weird. It technically unlocks later in the game, when you get to the Witch's Lair or whatever, but the thing is, if you go into Multiplayer mode, you can access it right away.

But since you're only an hour in, you probably don't have enough multiples to strengthen anything. You need five copies of a common, four of an uncommon, or three of a rare to strengthen.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Didn't the card artists work on Culdcept? The art looks familiar and the creatures are similar.

Yeah, I believe so. There's also card art from other stuff like Square-Enix's Lords of Arcana as well. And of course, Yoshitaka Amano.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Seraphis Cain said:
It's weird. It technically unlocks later in the game, when you get to the Witch's Lair or whatever, but the thing is, if you go into Multiplayer mode, you can access it right away.

But since you're only an hour in, you probably don't have enough multiples to strengthen anything. You need five copies of a common, four of an uncommon, or three of a rare to strengthen.

Ah cool. Yeah I haven't even looked at the multiplayer component yet because I don't want to waste any tickets. Is there anything else going on in the multiplayer that I'm missing out on by holding off?

I got my first rare, the creature with both the fire and the wood attack. Honestly doesn't seem like it's worth the cost at all. But I still am not really sure what I'm doing with my main strategy right now being to boost up the agility and attack of my unicorn creature and my giant whale guy with everything else to stall. It's been pretty effective so far.

For 99 cents this game is an absolute blast. Sony should have been giving this out to PS+ers for free though, I mean it's only a dollar but there would be a lot more people playing if it was free and actually had been advertised.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
darkside31337 said:
Ah cool. Yeah I haven't even looked at the multiplayer component yet because I don't want to waste any tickets. Is there anything else going on in the multiplayer that I'm missing out on by holding off?

I got my first rare, the creature with both the fire and the wood attack. Honestly doesn't seem like it's worth the cost at all. But I still am not really sure what I'm doing with my main strategy right now being to boost up the agility and attack of my unicorn creature and my giant whale guy with everything else to stall. It's been pretty effective so far.

For 99 cents this game is an absolute blast. Sony should have been giving this out to PS+ers for free though, I mean it's only a dollar but there would be a lot more people playing if it was free and actually had been advertised.

Well, there's the free tournaments going on as well (doesn't require tickets). The current one running is a "best of 3" tournament, so you have to have a deck set with at least two decks in it to participate. It ends tonight at 8PM EST, so if you want to get in, you should do it soon. Just a tip though. If you'd rather have the 5 free tickets than the super rare card, don't get into the top 40% of the rankings.

And yeah, I was just thinking about this game and PS+. Would be an excellent one to give away for free.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Seraphis Cain said:
Well, there's the free tournaments going on as well (doesn't require tickets). The current one running is a "best of 3" tournament, so you have to have a deck set with at least two decks in it to participate. It ends tonight at 8PM EST, so if you want to get in, you should do it soon. Just a tip though. If you'd rather have the 5 free tickets than the super rare card, don't get into the top 40% of the rankings.

And yeah, I was just thinking about this game and PS+. Would be an excellent one to give away for free.

Awesome I'll definitely try to get some games in when I get home from work. It'll be a close race against time.

Is there a minimum amount of games you have to play in the tournament or something? Not really getting how it works. Wouldn't winning 1 match put you in the top 85%?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
darkside31337 said:
Awesome I'll definitely try to get some games in when I get home from work. It'll be a close race against time.

Is there a minimum amount of games you have to play in the tournament or something? Not really getting how it works. Wouldn't winning 1 match put you in the top 85%?

Pretty much, yeah. There's no minimum, only a maximum (in best of 3, it's 5, in single win, it's 10). If you just want to get in the top 85%, I'd only play one match. Well, that's if you win. If you lose, obviously you'd have to play more. But you do still get points towards the rankings even if you lose.

Tizoc

Seraphis Cain said:
You're LegendsEnd? Awesome! Yeah we'll definitely have to play some matches.

On it.

Okay, room's up. Add me on PSN if you want an invite. PSN's SeraphisCain.
Dumbass question: Will a weak internet connection affect online play?
If not, I wouldn't mind playing against you guys on Thursdays and Fridays ^_^;

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Seraphis Cain said:
Pretty much, yeah. There's no minimum, only a maximum (in best of 3, it's 5, in single win, it's 10). If you just want to get in the top 85%, I'd only play one match. Well, that's if you win. If you lose, obviously you'd have to play more. But you do still get points towards the rankings even if you lose.

So do the free tournaments still give out the cards after every match like regular ranked online play? Or is the only benefit the free tickets / super rare card?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
darkside31337 said:
So do the free tournaments still give out the cards after every match like regular ranked online play? Or is the only benefit the free tickets / super rare card?

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that. No, you don't get cards after the tournament games. The only benefit is the prizes.

And regarding the prizes, you don't get them right after the tournament ends. What you have to do is wait 24 hours after the end of the tournament, THEN go back into Multiplayer to claim your prize. For example, the tournament ends at 8PM EST tonight. That means the prizes won't be available until 8PM Monday night. That should also be when the new tournament starts.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Seraphis Cain said:
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that. No, you don't get cards after the tournament games. The only benefit is the prizes.

And regarding the prizes, you don't get them right after the tournament ends. What you have to do is wait 24 hours after the end of the tournament, THEN go back into Multiplayer to claim your prize. For example, the tournament ends at 8PM EST tonight. That means the prizes won't be available until 8PM Monday night. That should also be when the new tournament starts.

Sounds good. How strong are most decks you've played across so far online? I get the feeling I probably shouldn't waste my time since I'm only on the 4th stage right now but if it's free I guess theres no harm in giving it a shot.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
darkside31337 said:
Sounds good. How strong are most decks you've played across so far online? I get the feeling I probably shouldn't waste my time since I'm only on the 4th stage right now but if it's free I guess theres no harm in giving it a shot.

It really sorta depends. I've seen people using the starter cards you're given at the start of the game, and I've seen some pretty powerful decks as well. It just varies, I guess. I'd say overall, though, weaker decks do seem to be a bit more prevalent than stronger ones.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
kassatsu said:
Sphinx should be nerfed.

Yeah, I propose if we ever have any sort of GAF tournament, the Sphinx/Grimoire combo should definitely be banned. I won't use it against GAFfers anymore, that's for sure. :lol

Einherjar

I don't really mind the combo, since a lot of people also run the consecutive attack + grimoire combo. As long as you shutdown grimoire, the whole combo collapses. So it's a good idea to have an anti-grimoire deck in your set of 3.

There are actually a lot of ways to do this with just the starter cards. For example, Gargoyle's reversal ability will wreck Sphinx decks, and Dullahan / Twin Witch (Passive ability to reduce consec atk damage to 0 on your summoned monster) will shut down grimoire decks in general. The easiest way of course, is to simply use a Light / Yellow themed deck, with a card that can one-shot grimoire turn 1.

Toki767

Finally tried playing online against someone else. Are you guys finding that people just immediately surrender when they realize they're going to lose? It kind of bugs me that they can't just finish a game.

kassatsu

Banned
Toki767 said:
Finally tried playing online against someone else. Are you guys finding that people just immediately surrender when they realize they're going to lose? It kind of bugs me that they can't just finish a game.
Why waste time if you know it is over? It is pretty much checkmate most the time it happens.

Toki767 said:
Do you still get a card if you surrender? (Or do only winners get a card? I haven't played online yet.)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
kassatsu said:
This tourney is kinda lame. 7 tickets for top 40%... meh

Sounds good to me. :lol More tickets are always welcome, at least while they're still not available for purchase. For whatever reason.

Also just had the weirdest game in the current tournament. Opponent had nothing in his deck but one Bird of Prey. Needless to say, he surrendered. :lol

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
kassatsu said:
top 85% - 5 tickets
top 40% - some rare card. Jupiter something

Grand Titan Jupiter, pretty nice card. Grass/Dark split, 180HP 15AGI, has an attack that does 50 dmg with 8 splash to the opponents standby monsters (and 10 self), it's ability nullifies all splash damage while it's summoned, and it has a reversal that inflicts instant death on all monsters that cost 3 mana or less.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
...damn, now I kinda regret going for the tickets over the card. :lol

Also I think I hate Fallen Angel Benetnash. That damn preemptive attack it's got is just stupid powerful. I've lost literally every online game that I've played where the opponent has one of those in their deck.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Does anybody have a card / spoiler list for each of the sets? I for the life of me can't actually find one of these things anywhere on the internet.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
darkside31337 said:
Does anybody have a card / spoiler list for each of the sets? I for the life of me can't actually find one of these things anywhere on the internet.

I don't think there is one. It might be up to us to make our own.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That sucks. Got to Stage 9 and have been getting my ass kicked. Difficulty definitely spikes up and I'm not even at the hard part yet :(

What set is Gargoyle in?

kassatsu

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
I don't think there is one. It might be up to us to make our own.
I am going to be putting one on my site.

Also going to have some Deck building tips. Which ones do you think I should add, what good combos do you use?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
kassatsu said:

Also going to have some Deck building tips. Which ones do you think I should add, what good combos do you use?

Wow that'd be great. I could use all the tips I could get.

My main deck right now is some AGI boosters and the legendary Demon King Zekio. Not very creative but gets the job right now a lot of the time as I'm only on Stage 9.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
kassatsu said:

Awesome! I'll contribute in any way I can (card descriptions, etc). Just let me know if I can help.

As for combos, one of my favorites is Gargoyle in front, Witch Twins Poa & Pua (I think that's the name) in the back. Use Gargoyle's Evil Eye to hopefully instakill the opponent's summoned creature, then use Curse of Death to instakill a standby. Once Gargoyle's gone, the Witch Twins flip effect kicks in and does 20 damage.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sorry for the double post, but it looks like the multiplayer tickets still aren't up on the store. Or at least, I can't find them via search. I wonder what the hell is up...it's gonna be awful if they can't get the tickets up for some reason.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Seraphis Cain said:
Sorry for the double post, but it looks like the multiplayer tickets still aren't up on the store. Or at least, I can't find them via search. I wonder what the hell is up...it's gonna be awful if they can't get the tickets up for some reason.

:(

Would be so utterly cruel. 99 cents for a Platinum you can and probably will get locked out from getting.

I'd imagine the slow response has probably got something to do with Hudson being dead and all.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Never mind, looks like I jumped the gun! Tickets are up, however you can only access them from the store interface within the game. Prices are as follows:

4 tickets = 99 cents
21 tickets = 4.99
45 tickets = 9.99
100 tickets = 19.99

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Seraphis Cain said:
Never mind, looks like I jumped the gun! Tickets are up, however you can only access them from the store interface within the game. Prices are as follows:

4 tickets = 99 cents
21 tickets = 4.99
45 tickets = 9.99
100 tickets = 19.99

Guess I'll just pay for 4 but I suck so bad at this game I am going to need at least 100 tickets to Platinum :(

Finally made it to Stage 10. Thieves stage was utterly destroying me.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man this is hilarious. My only win today has been against a Rank 60 Japanese player. The rest of the games I've played, I've lost to Rank 1-10 American players who either play Dark decks based around Benetnash or just load their decks up with Knights of varying colors and splash damage me to death. The fuck.

Top Bottom