• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elemental Monster -Online Card Game- |OT| of 99 cent Platinum trophies

Cels

Gunloc said:
Won 9 out of my 10 matches this tournament. (Had two really close/exciting matches.) My only loss was to someone who already had a Creation God Alfecca. XD

Top 1% right now, it would be pretty cool to be in the top 10 or 100 overall.

so you mean they used it and beat you?

Card Boy

Banned
I hate these restricted Tournaments. Its always something and a bunch of people have an OP card that trump your measly cards. I got Rare 'Deity' cards (Ares/Apolon/Sky God Hadder) and i still can't win.

Cels

Gez said:
I hate these restricted Tournaments. Its always something and a bunch of people have an OP card that trump your measly cards. I got Rare 'Deity' cards (Ares/Apolon/Sky God Hadder) and i still can't win.

those are some of the best cards. what is beating you?

Card Boy

Banned
Cels said:
those are some of the best cards. what is beating you?
I got no lower cost cards to back them up. I only got 7 Deity family cards at all 5 to 10 costs. That Shinx, Fallen Angel, and the Gaia combo keeps effeing me up. I can only have 2 or 3 cards on the field and nothing synergizes correctly.

Cels said:
so you mean they used it and beat you?
Yeah, I actually had a deck to counter a Creation God deck, but I never used it since they appeared so infrequently. My main deck for this tournament only had three cards, and that wasn't enough to kill it. It's alright though, I still will have more than enough points to get the prize card.

Gez said:
I actually really love the restriction tourneys, but it does suck when there is one card that can run the tournament. But I don't think that was the case this time, there wasn't one card that wrecks everything, but Deity type cards aren't that plentiful so it's hard to build a solid deck unless you've got a good personal selection.

I haven't even tried the multiplayer yet, still going through single player. What's the tournament schedule like? is it everyday or certain days? certain time?

One of the game in the elven forest, i tried to counter with a Fire deck, the last fking card he had wasn't a green card!!! it was fking Kraken. :(

Card Boy

Banned
SephirothRK said:
What's the tournament schedule like? is it everyday or certain days? certain time?

I think its like every 4 days. Its 3 days of tournament and like a day of nothing then it starts again. They have the dates when you go to the tournament section.

Cels

Gez said:
1004 here......

A Common only rarity tournament. Prepare to see heaps of Sphinx's.

Seriously, but at least there are no Grimoires to go with them.

I swear every 4th or 5th ranked match I see someone running a Sphinx/Grimoire combo.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
No idea what I'm gonna run for this tournament, there is some good potential of building a hand with mostly paintman cards in order to use their SP skills to change the element of the opponents cards to something they'd be weak against and just 1-hit kill everything. Or I could just go full derp and run a sphinx deck, but thats no fun.

Wow, from doing so great in the last tournament to tanking in this one. XD Good thing it's just for tickets.

I wasn't focused enough this time though, I kept changing my deck too much and then when I found a solid build I was being sloppy by not thinking ahead. Though I did lose one match due to a 5% critical hit, that was pretty lame.

It was an interesting tourney though, lots of possibilities with no broken set-ups. (To my knowledge.)

The luck factor in this game makes me salty. It's 50/50 for the same agilty for both monster attack which determines who win/lose.

Card Boy

Banned
SephirothRK said:
The luck factor in this game makes me salty.

I don't chance values unless its 50%, reason is the game should be able to be replicated in real life with real cards. You can't flip a 60 or 5% with a coin.

This however will require balance to alot of skills.

sleepykyo

Gez said:

I have 2 deity cards in total. Sat the tourney out. This common only one sounds interesting. How is the variety of builds so far?

Cels

SephirothRK said:
I made a Troll deck and played 1 match in the tourney, it didn't turn out well :( I have like 50+ cards max. I need to play more.

I think that even if you play 10 matches and lose all of them you should have enough points to reach the top 85% threshold and get tickets...and then using those tickets you can get more cards (that aren't Legend Begins or Otherworldly Visitor)! Still 4 hours left to get your matches in.

Another interesting tourney. No broken cards, but tons of Krakens, Cockatrices and Griffons.

Ended up at 5%. I think it will hold, but this is a four day tournament so who knows?

Cels said:
I think that even if you play 10 matches and lose all of them you should have enough points to reach the top 85% threshold and get tickets...and then using those tickets you can get more cards (that aren't Legend Begins or Otherworldly Visitor)! Still 4 hours left to get your matches in.

oh nice, that's good to know. I thought it would be impossible to get tickets with my bad decking building.

Cels

Always 48 hr after the tournament ends. Incidentally this is also the same time the next tournament starts. When you login to multiplayer it'll say you placed in the tournament and you'll get your prize.

Ah thanks.

Funny thing last night I was farming Legend Begins cards I was missing like 10 cards from that pack. Every match I won I usually get the card I'm missing for some reason like it's not random...

My first Legendary card is Machine Emperor from the Emperor Revenge pack :D

7-3 in the current tournament. It's a bit boring because the prize cards aren't exclusive and I have both of them, but at least I can test my deck against more builds.

Had some fun matches though with two really close (and satisfying) wins. I faced a really interesting Sphinx/Grimoire fake out deck. Definitely wasn't the usually take on the combo.

Card Boy

Banned
Gunloc said:
7-3 in the current tournament. It's a bit boring because the prize cards aren't exclusive and I have both of them, but at least I can test my deck against more builds.

Had some fun matches though with two really close (and satisfying) wins. I faced a really interesting Sphinx/Grimoire fake out deck. Definitely wasn't the usually take on the combo.

I think i'm 7-3 in the current tourney aswell (or 6-4). Last time i checked i was in the top 9% i really want this Plantina Dragon card. Anyone know what it does?

Also i got this deck that wins 75% of the time.

Grimoire - Dragon King Babarossa
Wind Sword Zephyrus (on the Flip) - None

With 2 mana to spare. I can 105 damage in 1 attack with Dragon Kings first ability.

Cels

Gez said:
I think i'm 7-3 in the current tourney aswell (or 6-4). Last time i checked i was in the top 9% i really want this Plantina Dragon card. Anyone know what it does?

Also i got this deck that wins 75% of the time.

Grimoire - Dragon King Babarossa
Wind Sword Zephyrus (on the Flip) - None

With 2 mana to spare. I can 105 damage in 1 attack with Dragon Kings first ability.

It's just a Rare card from Legendary Dragons set.

Off the top of my head, it's a Light card with 70 hp, 35 or 36 AGI. Both attacks are light element, one is a consecutive attack and the other gives preemptive. Good card, but not that exciting.

7-3 again this time. Another good chance to test my main deck against more builds. There is still one card I'm considering swapping, but I haven't found anything that really fits in it's place.

It seems using Grimoire for boosting cards other than Sphinx is becoming more popular. Got absolutely rocked by one such deck. (Though every deck I lost to today I could of beat with my secondary deck.)

I've noticed a couple other cards rising in popularity too. I think one of them might be a good card to tinker with.

Gez said:
Heres my deck i have being running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXVo8HLrjFM&

Guaranteed win.
It's good for singe matches because if your opponent can't counter the Grimoire and/or the the second buff card, they are in a lot of trouble. But if they have anything that can circumvent your buffs, (especially the Grimoire) you might be hurting. And more and more people are realizing you need to have a Grimoire counter somewhere in their deck set.

I've seen some people running a very similar deck lately, except with other buffs under Grimoire, like Gloom Armor. I actually beat someone who was using that deck tonight in the tournament.

Speaking of the tournament. I won 4 of my 5 matches and I'm currently in the top 4%. Fought (and beat) someone tonight who actually had a Galaxy Dragon already, the art is really nice.

sleepykyo

Gunloc said:
It's good for singe matches because if your opponent can't counter the Grimoire and/or the the second buff card, they are in a lot of trouble. But if they have anything that can circumvent your buffs, (especially the Grimoire) you might be hurting. And more and more people are realizing you need to have a Grimoire counter somewhere in their deck set.

I've seen some people running a very similar deck lately, except with other buffs under Grimoire, like Gloom Armor. I actually beat someone who was using that deck tonight in the tournament.

Speaking of the tournament. I won 4 of my 5 matches and I'm currently in the top 4%. Fought (and beat) someone tonight who actually had a Galaxy Dragon already, the art is really nice.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of

winged boot, grimoire, etc
winged boot, sword, orochi

Either way, I literally run into some variation of those in 70% of my matches. Amazing how the whole red, blue, green thing has been completely irrelevant as every deck is about either buffs or debuffs. Man I wish Culdcept Saga was on psn, at least with that game regardless of the build, it is a 4 player game so there is the political/diplomatic angle to spice things up. Done venting.

There was an interesting paintman king and that blue creature that is immune to blue damage deck that was pretty interesting in the last tourney. And this tourney, I've already beaten a (bad) grimoire player. Also enjoying the current tourney since the 2 out 3 thing is forcing people to have more than just the grimoire/other buff on a multi-hitter tactic.

sleepykyo said:
Lately I've been seeing a lot of

winged boot, grimoire, etc
winged boot, sword, orochi

Either way, I literally run into some variation of those in 70% of my matches. Amazing how the whole red, blue, green thing has been completely irrelevant as every deck is about either buffs or debuffs. Man I wish Culdcept Saga was on psn, at least with that game regardless of the build, it is a 4 player game so there is the political/diplomatic angle to spice things up. Done venting.

There was an interesting paintman king and that blue creature that is immune to blue damage deck that was pretty interesting in the last tourney. And this tourney, I've already beaten a (bad) grimoire player. Also enjoying the current tourney since the 2 out 3 thing is forcing people to have more than just the grimoire/other buff on a multi-hitter tactic.
I know lots of people like to stick with Light/Dark decks and focus on buffs, but I think that actually is beneficial for strategic players. One of my main decks right now is actually a fire/water/wood mix, and I've been pretty successful with it. Sadly, a lot of the game play is decided once the decks are selected, but I still think there's more room for some crafty strategy if people think outside the box. (But hopefully in a future Elemental Monsters expansion/sequel, they'll add in more mechanics that make matches a bit more back and forth.)

As for the Paintman King (and Queen), I've experimented a bit with them before but their reverse skills cost so much and they aren't that great on offense, so it's hard to really make use of their unique skills. But I'm still trying to work some stuff out with them.

Not my best tournament, but I ended up at 18%. Hopefully it'll hold.

Fought a bunch of tough decks though. (Beelzebub is really deadly in tourneys.)

Cels

Does anyone actually ever use those elemental god cards outside of novelty formats? Ruin God Lighan, Water God Lyza, Sky God Hadder, etc. They have cool art and are powerful but they cost too much (10 mana to place in deck, 4/5 mana to attack).

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Does anyone actually ever use those elemental god cards outside of novelty formats? Ruin God Lighan, Water God Lyza, Sky God Hadder, etc. They have cool art and are powerful but they cost too much (10 mana to place in deck, 4/5 mana to attack).

Yeah they are pretty useless.

I think you could Grimoire them and hopefully catch some people off guard in single matches. They are pretty high risk though.

Card Boy

Banned
I think i might call it quits on this game. I might play it every now and then, but i did pretty well.

56hours out of 99cents. I'm laughing here.

3 out of 5 in this last tournament. I psyched myself out of a win in my last match, if I would of stuck with my original strategy, I would of won. :/

Oh well, I'm pretty sure 11% will hold up. Though with 4 day tourneys, I'm always worried. I think there probably won't be as many playing tonight and tomorrow though due to the holidays in the US.

I did horrible this tournament. That blame goes to not having many tickets to get more cards cause I was going for the SR cards for the previous tournament. 2/10.

I did pretty good this time around. 8/10, and in the top 1%.

I probably would of done even better, but I had someone disconnect and the CPU deck I had to face wasn't following the tournament rules (an annoying bug they need to fix), and it had a powerful water card that demolished most of my fire based deck.

I don't know if anyone here still cares, but the tournament they are holding right now is for the rare "Famitsu" card. It was only given away through a promotion in Japan and one other tournament a long time ago, so it's quite sought after.

The competition is pretty tough because of that though, everybody is playing to win. Did pretty well considering, 8/10 matches.

It's a spirit type restricted tournament, so here's a hint....

Use Djinns. A lot of them.

Chromax

I'm late, I just started this today and wow it's awesome! Only been playing the single players atm since I'm too scared to play online.

Again, probably not much interest here on GAF, but the current tournament is giving away another very rare card, Succubus.

Give it a go if anyone is still trying to get all the cards. This seems like it'll be just as rare as Famitsu.

Card Boy

Banned
Sorry for the useless bump but the lack of interest for this game is criminal. The game is 99 cents and has given me 50 hours according to my playtime. It's a steal.

Assuming you have an interest in TCG's is there a reason why people won't pick this up? 99c won't make you default on your mortgage, you probably have bought $60 games on release aswell. 99cents does even cover a bus or train ticket anymore.

BUY IT!

Top Bottom