• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I don'T see the problem with the 10%... When something is used you should not be able toe re-sell it like new.

When modules start costing tens of millions of credits, some over 100 million, AND you fly a multirole ship, it becomes a problem. For pure ships like the Vulture or a Lakon T9 then this doesn't hurt so bad as you aren't changing loadouts very much, but for people in Anacondas or Asps or Pythons this will be a huge penalty.

Honestly if this goes live I may have to change the way I play the game. Right now I just fly an Asp and I change my modules regularly to change roles when I'm in the mood. I love the Asp for it's flexibility, I mean I'm seriously in love with my Asp. BUT, if this goes live, it might suit me better to own several role specific ships that I build to my liking and then leave them that way. Then when I feel like going out mining, or doing some bounty hunting, or running a few trade routes, or heading out exploring the depths of space, well instead of simply re-fitting my Asp to the new role I'd simply fly to wherever my role ship is stored and swap ships.

Which, really makes owning a multi-role ship kinda pointless.....:(

Alright, I'll hand it to you Imperials. This thing is ridiculously good looking.

dxbAwbt.png

lBx5D7s.png

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Wow, that's a stupid change. They won't allow you to keep components in storage and often you have to search around for a station which sells the component you want (which is boring and dumb). And now you will lose a percentage everytime you change your loadout? Wtf, seriously.

Yeah, the fact that stations have limited supplies of parts, and yet those parts have fixed prices and can't be traded, is crazy.

So they made the limit 20% higher. What's the gameplay benefit of having a limit at all?

I mean, design always involves putting up some sort of barrier to instant gratification, but this one doesn't seem to create any interesting gameplay. People already have to earn the money to buy these things in the first place.

Maybe they listened to someone reminiscing about build permanence in Diablo 2. "We wanted players to have to think about those choices", etc.

Well, it'll shake things up a bit at least. More people will fly multiple ships to avoid those re-outfitting costs.

Strazyplus

That 10% wont effect me since I expected there was already some percentage lost when selling... but apparently not

I wish I could freaking store parts though sigh...

Damn, I really wanted to try out that courier. Curious what the actual price will be.
Around 2.5 Mio according to Kornelius. The Diamondback is around 500k.

I thought the Diamondback is a bigger ship to fill the gap between Vulture and Python. Too bad :(
I thought the powerplay beta was supposed to be available to everyone because of how big she is.
It's good it isn't. Seems like a lot of bugs are still in there.

elyetis

I thought they wanted to give the access to every one because they wanted more people to hunt them down. Not that I care too much since I do have the beta access yet I don't use it ( might as well wait to the official release, and it broke the oculus support anyway ).
I thought the Diamondback is a bigger ship to fill the gap between Vulture and Python. Too bad :(
I hoped so too, I mean I like the Vulture and all but.. going from a 5M ship to a 51-57M ( FDL or python ) is quite the big jump..
I guess that's forgetting the the imp. clipper but for combat purpose it seems like it might not really be an upgrade, and the time spent grinding the imperial rank would probably allow me to buy a FDL anyway ( but I actually don't know how fast you can get those rank up ).

Zalusithix

Tends to happen when you have massive a massive patch that changes a ton of things all at once. Why they didn't phase in the majority of that changelog as smaller patches leading up to the major gameplay additions/modifications is beyond me.

DrBo42

A steady stream of updates doesn't get as much interest or attention as a massive update. They probably want a big surge of sales and possibly be able to get it back on the the featured Steam page. Just my guess.

Zalusithix

A steady stream of updates doesn't get as much interest or attention as a massive update. They probably want a big surge of sales and possibly be able to get it back on the the featured Steam page. Just my guess.

Nah, it only takes one line to generate interest and attention. That 10% module sell back fee has generated more feedback than the entire rest of the changelog. ;)

NOOOOOOO!..

I loved the freedom to change ship loadouts at will without penalty. :(

I expect this to change before it hits live. It has to.

A penalty of some kind makes perfect sense. IRL, you don't sell used products for full price unless it's a rare item. HOWEVER...this just feels like a money sink and a middle finger to all-purpose ships. While one can think of an all-purpose ship as a "jack of all trades, master of nothing", what they grew into in E:D is ships that you could re-fit based on the need you had for them. They would still not be the best ships for any specific purpose, but they could be sufficient.

Now imagine downgrading a $50 million powerplant or armor after deciding, to go from CZ fighting to exploration. Or in the case of the Anaconda...a $150 million powerplant. $5-$15 million per switch? That's most of if not all of the money you were looking to earn just to make the switch. So why buy a multi-role ship at all now? IMO, FdL + T9 + Diamondback become the standard end-game ships if the current implementation holds up instead of something like Anaconda + FdL. Until you can afford 3x Anacondas (one fully spec'd for Exploration, one fully spec'd for fighting, and one fully spec'd for trading) + an FdL for better fighting, which would become the true end-game.

I appreciate the desire to make specific-role ships more desirable, but I don't think punishing the multi-role concept is the way to do it.

Why not create a storage option for parts?

Why not apply a resale penalty based on time owned/mileage?

Why can't we trade with other players?

One of the things I did last week for hours was test weapons builds. I went through at least 15 different combiantions of weapons, observing their effectiveness, power draw, heat generation, effectiveness of firegroups, power requirements. It's necessary to do because there are no game mechanics that make any of this clear. You don't know anything until you try. I wouldn't have been able to do this at all if this policy was in place and I'd still be wondering what setup I would like the most (I now have a setup I'm 100% happy with and know what alternate setups I can go with if I want to do more PvP or just want a change of pace).

If there was say...a 1 hour grace period from purchase where returns would be free, that would address the build testing issues (made necessary by their opaque presentation of information about weapons). Then a scaling return penalty based on time or usage from 0% - 10% would be good too. Flat 10% penalizes testing, trial and error which is part of the fun. I do agree that some money sinks are needed (or some better shit to spend money on). But don't handicap a part of the gameplay experience in order to do it, FD.

Hylian7

A feature I would love to see that I'm surprised isn't in the Galaxy Map improvements is an ability to bookmark/favorite/star systems.

I use the method right of of just storing a Sidewinder there, but still that's a tedious process of buying the Sidewinder, automatically switching to it (loading), then switching back to your real ship. All of this could be saved just by having a button you press on a System in the galaxy map.

A feature I would love to see that I'm surprised isn't in the Galaxy Map improvements is an ability to bookmark/favorite/star systems.

I use the method right of of just storing a Sidewinder there, but still that's a tedious process of buying the Sidewinder, automatically switching to it (loading), then switching back to your real ship. All of this could be saved just by having a button you press on a System in the galaxy map.

yea. I think we talked about that a few weeks ago. I don't understand how such a basic feature would have been skipped for so long. It'd be so easy to create, I would think.

Mengy

Nah, it only takes one line to generate interest and attention. That 10% module sell back fee has generated more feedback than the entire rest of the changelog. ;)

Arguably, that one change to charge 10% on modules actually effects gameplay almost as much as the rest of the powerplay update, it's that big of a change for many people. Sure the rest of powerplay is awesome and adds content, but that 10% charge is going to change playing styles much more most likely.

That 10% wont effect me since I expected there was already some percentage lost when selling... but apparently not

I wish I could freaking store parts though sigh...

10% is SO MUCH money lost when you get into the A-grade parts at class 6+... hours of money. I'm with everyone else, no way to store parts should mean no hit on the sell price.

Zalusithix

yea. I think we talked about that a few weeks ago. I don't understand how such a basic feature would have been skipped for so long. It'd be so easy to create, I would think.

It wouldn't take long to implement the most basic of basic checks on mission generation either, yet the game continues to throw out rank up missions that involve illegal goods at the current location, has starving people on agriculture based posts, has controlling parties needing goods for insurgencies, and so on and so forth. I mean, hell, that's just some simple background logic that doesn't even require any UI changes.

Arguably, that one change to charge 10% on modules actually effects gameplay almost as much as the rest of the powerplay update, it's that big of a change for many people. Sure the rest of powerplay is awesome and adds content, but that 10% charge is going to change playing styles much more most likely.

Oh, I'm not saying that the uproar isn't valid. I'm not to the point where such a change would really affect me much, but I can see where it would get increasingly annoying as the ships got more expensive.

Patchy

Banned
Guys, I'm an idiot.

How do you track current community goals and access them? I've read so much that I have confused myself.

HANGING to buy the diamondback, my poor Viper can;'t take any more weight and daddy needs something a little more luxurious.

AJLma

The Courier looks like a lot of fun to fly, it's tiny but accelerates quickly and packs a decent enough punch. Hopefully the maneuverability is there. Like an upgrade to the Eagle in a way that the Vulture wasn't.

Hopefully it gets buffed a bit before release.

EDIT: Really not a fan of the fact that it takes a month of seemingly real-time to get the exclusive gear for a Power. The game is grindy enough as it is, if they start imposing these F2P style time restrictions on exclusive items across 20+ factions, I'm not sure how long I'll be willing to stick around for that.

elyetis

I appreciate the desire to make specific-role ships more desirable, but I don't think punishing the multi-role concept is the way to do it.
Definitly. I mean I'm all giving incensive for owning multiple specific-role ships, but not by making refitting even more of a pain ( the need to move to sometimes multiple station/system to do so is already very stupid, and why we really need a storage option anyway ).
A good step would be to finaly get an option to make your stored ships come to you ( with a fee and delay proportional to it's distance from you ( and probably the size of the ship too ) or something like that ).

The Courier looks like a lot of fun to fly, it's tiny but accelerates quickly and packs a decent enough punch. Hopefully the maneuverability is there. Like an upgrade to the Eagle in a way that the Vulture wasn't..
The ship is much smaller than the vulture.

Shifty76

Hmm...new exploration CG. Only 48 hour duration though.

Given that I have over 4k systems scanned on my current trip I'm wondering if I shouldn't just toot n scoot the rest of the 17k ly home and turn in all my data for that goal.

Do it! Isn't the new CG a search for the Federation president? He disappeared in the Azaleach system.

Federal pilots and trusted allies, today we call on you to assist the Azaleach Partnership in the search for Starship One.

One last contact with the President came from the XX system, just 75 ligth years from our current position. Unfortunately, information provided by the Sirius Corporation and Core Dynamics suggests that Starship One could not be anywhere within at least a 200 light year radius of Azaleach.

Until such time as we have received confirmation that the President is alive and well, all search and rescue teams are being asked to thoroughly inspect every system in the sector. Any relevant scan data should be delivered to the search co-ordinators at the Universal Cartographic station aboard Leoniceno Orbital. It is hoped that Universal Cartographic will be able to use any anomalies that may have appeared since the last scan of the area to determine the whereabouts of Starship One.

#thargoids

Shifty76

Only managed to get on for an hour last night due to golf, so only made it 1500 LY closer. Don't think I'm making it back for that CG unless I pull an all nigher tonight. Did find a couple more earth-likes though which was nice.

Only managed to get on for an hour last night due to golf, so only made it 1500 LY closer. Don't think I'm making it back for that CG unless I pull an all nigher tonight. Did find a couple more earth-likes though which was nice.

how many hours is 1500LY? And how long are your jumps? Just so that I know for future reference. :D

Lagamorph

I don't know how people have the patience for trips as far as the Galactic Core. I'm only about 1,500LY from Achenar and I've just gotten so sick of it that I'm turning around to head back. Even then it's going to take me 83 jumps to go 920LY.

It's not like I've even seen anything particularly interesting on the journey either. Stars the same as any other, rocky and gas giant planets the same as any other.

Absolutely nothing special.

Mengy

I don't know how people have the patience for trips as far as the Galactic Core. I'm only about 1,500LY from Achenar and I've just gotten so sick of it that I'm turning around to head back. Even then it's going to take me 83 jumps to go 920LY.

Although I've not been as far as the galactic core I have been over 2000 LY out from Sol, and for me there isn't any patience required because I'm exploring the entire time, not just for the "destination". Deep space exploring is about hunting planets and stars, anywhere and everywhere. I usually set a nebula or far off star as my "goal", my destination, but I zig zag and lolligag my way there, changing directions often and if I see a star nearby that looks interesting I have no problems wandering off for a bit.

In short, I've never been impatient going anywhere when exploring.

It's not like I've even seen anything particularly interesting on the journey either. Stars the same as any other, rocky and gas giant planets the same as any other.

It's just not for you. It's not for me either. I found myself falling asleep doing detailed scans on a few systems for the CG. Exploring and mining (in the current patch, anyway) are little better than watching paint dry to me. Just a whole lot of nothing happening for too long. They aren't why I bought the game, so I suppose it comes as no surprise.

So far for me, the only things that keep me awake are fighting and trading (missions). I enjoy the former quite a bit and the later serves as a change of pace when I need it. I haven't tried real heavy trading of goods, but it probably wouldn't be too bad. But again, only sparingly. I might do just enough exploration to put my name on something somewhere...but that'll be it for ya boy. I spent like 1.5 hours charting out maybe 10 systems (some of them had like 50+ discoverable objects, so it took awhile). I appreciated the $600k I made from it, but I was bored to tears. It's something I'd do only if I was doing something else at the same time like watching TV or some such. It just doesn't command my attention outside of the initial jump and steering clear of a star.

Pomerlaw

But that's how the Galaxy is... With 300 billions stars there are similarities. I disagree that everything is the same thought, there are enough pictures on the internet to prove the contratry.

I personaly had a blast exploring, and with planetary landings it will only get better.

Zalusithix

I spent like 1.5 hours charting out maybe 10 systems (some of them had like 50+ discoverable objects, so it took awhile). I appreciated the $600k I made from it, but I was bored to tears.
Averaging $400k/hr isn't worth being bored to tears for unless you're just starting out. Even T6 level trading will bring in multiple times that. (Using trading as an example as many also find that boring.)

Mengy

I think I'll skip it. I'd rather support FD.

How does validating your game through steam and playing it there support FDev any less? You've already paid for the game, you can still buy all merchandise and expansions through the FDev store since both versions are linked, I'm not seeing how grabbing a key for steam hurts them?

Wreav

Banned
How does validating your game through steam and playing it there support FDev any less? You've already paid for the game, you can still buy all merchandise and expansions through the FDev store since both versions are linked, I'm not seeing how grabbing a key for steam hurts them?

Any future content he buys will net FD 30% less.

Mengy

Any future content he buys will net FD 30% less.

Not if he buys it through the FDev store.

Valve only gets a cut when you buy something through the steam store, if you never do then all money still goes straight to FDev.

You can play the game on steam but buy everything from the FDev store and Valve will never see one red cent from you with respect to Elite Dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom