• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

Do missions for Federation aligned corporations and then eventually you'll get offered Rank Progression missions from the Federation Navy, get to Midshipman rank with the Federation and they'll offer you the permit at a Federation station.

Ohhhhh so THAT'S what those are for. I guess I should start doing those missions then!

Nymerio

Any recommendations on what weapons I should be looking to get for my new Viper?

Delete your save in options.

I don't have my Viper yet but I think I'll just use an upgraded version of my eagle's loadout. I've been using a fixed beam with two gimbaled cannons, for the viper I think I'll go with two beams, two cannons. The gimbaled cannons take some time to get used to though. You have to get fairly close to a target and have to know at what angles they'll actually hit, but once you figure it out they're really great. I was actually thinking about getting fixed cannons for a while because of the somewhat unreliable gimbaling but then I got used to it and I almost never miss anymore. They're also great at taking out systems and I don't know if I'd do that well with fixed cannons.

Wreav

Banned
I'm sitting in a Cobra with about 300k in the bank, currently bounty hunting and smuggling for money. What are you guys doing around this range for income? Not sure trade would be much faster.

Dubz

I just got assigned my first mission. Carry scrap to LTT 1846 for reclamation. I'm at the destination, but can't figure out where to drop this scrap off. Help please?

Atruvius

So you recommend the advanced settings then? I am having a hard time with them, and am using the "arcade" settings (the one without yaw). I have beaten the first few tutorials using this setting, but I'm guessing to be a good pilot I will have to suck it up and learn to fly with advanced settings.

Yeah. I haven't really tried the other settings because I want to keep my hands on the controller, not press any keyboard buttons. But I'll probably be buying a joystick some time soon because of aiming feels a bit finicky with the small analogue sticks.

Jedi2016

I just got assigned my first mission. Carry scrap to LTT 1846 for reclamation. I'm at the destination, but can't figure out where to drop this scrap off. Help please?
Look in your transactions, it will tell you which station to take it to. Once you dock there, go to the Bulletin Board and you'll be able to drop off the cargo and get paid.

Planet in Shinrarta Dezhra

Will there ever be more than 2 firegroups ? 2 is really limiting :(

And trade is better way to get money quick than bountys, bountys are more fun though.

You can make more than two firegroups. I have three.

Maybe you mean assignable weapons per group?

Have most people, when buying a new ship, just selling the old or is anyone keeping them stored? I kind of want to keep my Eagle just in case but maybe there's no reason to.

Wreav

Banned
And trade is better way to get money quick than bountys, bountys are more fun though.

Is it though? I've made 300k from bounty smuggling in my last 3 hours of gameplay. If I attempted trading with my 18T of cargo room, I'm not sure I could hit that number.

Have most people, when buying a new ship, just selling the old or is anyone keeping them stored?

I haven't found a compelling reason to keep them, the money is always more valuable to me.

owlbeak

Have most people, when buying a new ship, just selling the old or is anyone keeping them stored? I kind of want to keep my Eagle just in case but maybe there's no reason to.
I sold my sidewinder when I bought my Adder. Wished I hadn't, I loved that little ship with the upgrades I put on it.

I will keep my Eagle when I buy my Viper. It just comes down to having different ships for different things. One day you may want to do cargo hauling and trading in your Type-7, one day you might want to do bounties in your Eagle. :)

I sold my sidewinder when I bought my Adder. Wished I hadn't, I loved that little ship with the upgrades I put on it.

I will keep my Eagle when I buy my Viper. It just comes down to having different ships for different things. One day you may want to do cargo hauling and trading in your Type-7, one day you might want to do bounties in your Eagle. :)
Yup that's my plan as well. I've got the money outright so I don't really need to sell it. Very excited for my Viper!

Skyzard

Banned
My warthog and saitek pedals should be coming in Tuesday if all goes well. How is the setup for the game? Are they automatically configured or will I need to go action by action?

It's not bad by default controls, they have a thrustmaster profile, but you do need to add the pedals for the yaw axis/or separate inputs for left and right, which isn't too bad. If it's not to your liking send me a pm and I'll help you set up UJR to combine the axis but I think you may not need it for ED.
You'll still want to go through the controls. I recommend not changing too much to begin with. Their defaults are rather good and I ended up changing stuff back. Not everything, but it's worth getting used to how they've got it and just learning the various buttons and commands in general so it will take an hour or so of startup and then you'll get better with some playing.

The main thing you should watch out for is the silent running button. Make sure that's set to something quite easy to get to but most importantly not something you will accidentally confuse with another button or similar physical requirement for another input (like you have another button above the silent running one, which activates by moving the button in the same direction - no, set it to opposites and don't enable any action for the other direction). -- because if you trigger silent running in combat you lose your shield for quite a while.

I was a bit ... and thought I'd give the no flight assist only flying a go last night. Fucking hell it's hard.

I can't ever imagine landing like that with any grace. Maybe with a bit more practice flying would be okay but landing, no way.

It's not super easy to get a feel of which momentums to cancel out especially if you're moving across multiple axis. I know you can look at the space dust but man a g-meter or those bobbing dashboard heads would have been great for this.

And full throttle (reverse+forward on the same axis) is too tough to know when you're at 0%. Need to always have an eye on the bars. I think it's better to use the button switch to reverse the throttle input.

I'm not sure the hats on my throttle were built for so many quick inputs either. I might try switching the stick hat for target selection with the one on the throttle for thrusters but then I can't hit that second fire key. Might have to switch that too.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
My warthog and saitek pedals should be coming in Tuesday if all goes well. How is the setup for the game? Are they automatically configured or will I need to go action by action?

That's the setup that I'm using.

Saitek - set dead zone in drivers and then configure in game for flight rotation - yaw axis.

Warthog - does a good job mapping. Just tweak to what you like.

Shifty76

Yup that's my plan as well. I've got the money outright so I don't really need to sell it. Very excited for my Viper!
Why? Both ships fill the same role. If you were going from a hauler or type 6 to a viper I could see keeping the old ship, but when both are fighters why would you bother keeping the inferior one?

jyoung188

Got a thrustmaster t-flight hotas x for christmas and suddenly I'm interested in this game. Videos of it look awesome, I love the idea of being a space trucker, buying low and selling high and exploring the galaxy. Hopefully this game comes to steam sometime but I'll probably pick it up eventually if it does or not because I've been looking for games to play with my new hotas.

SLV

Is it though? I've made 300k from bounty smuggling in my last 3 hours of gameplay. If I attempted trading with my 18T of cargo room, I'm not sure I could hit that number.

It is really easy to get a Type 6 quickly, after you trade your somewhat upgraded cobra in(exploration or bounties, i did both), then get 112 cargo, and you can look at about 100 k credits in 10 mins.

Why? Both ships fill the same role. If you were going from a hauler or type 6 to a viper I could see keeping the old ship, but when both are fighters why would you bother keeping the inferior one?

I have pretty good upgrades in it, the maneuverability is better, and if there's ever an instance where I am out of cash and need a ship, it's there. I don't care to take out loans unless absolutely necessary. I don't see the problem here.

Dubz

I got killed and restarted, and now I can't do any of the bulletin board missions because I don't qualify for any of them. What do?

I haven't found a compelling reason to keep them, the money is always more valuable to me.

I sell my ships. Don't want to be tied down.

Regarding trading. It is worth it. It raises exponentially almost as you go. Focus on a good small back and forth with landings less than 3-4k from jump in. I went from a sidewinder to decked out Type 6 in a few hours. Sidewinder to Hauler you double profits, from Hauler to Cobra you triple, and cobra to Type 6 doubles again. I have a 15-20 minute round trip that nets $250k a trip. Each run gets a little shorter like a racing game trying to improve lap times.

Takes a little work but I could dock this and buy 10 vipers if I wanted.

Not for everybody though, it will take about 10-12 hours. If it wasn't for Xmas break I'd probably still be in a cobra.

It's a problem with advancing. Trading has a good curve up while others flatline. If I had a larger ship that $250k for 20 minutes would be almost $600k making it almost 1.8 million an hour.

Wreav

Banned
Any suggestions for a good trade run? I know literally nothing about trading in 1.00, I abused Slopey's tool in beta and apparently that isn't very good any more.

Skyzard

Banned
With years of practice, flight assist off landing with some grace:
http://a.pomf.se/owcdfo.webm

So it doesn't matter what setting you use for throttle reverse switch really, the forward and backward thruster buttons are enough to control that and much faster.

Setting thrusters to the nice ones on my joystick helped a lot for me, weren't so ideal on the throttle for lots of sensitive inputs.

I sell my ships. Don't want to be tied down.

Regarding trading. It is worth it. It raises exponentially almost as you go. Focus on a good small back and forth with landings less than 3-4k from jump in. I went from a sidewinder to decked out Type 6 in a few hours. Sidewinder to Hauler you double profits, from Hauler to Cobra you triple, and cobra to Type 6 doubles again. I have a 15-20 minute round trip that nets $250k a trip. Each run gets a little shorter like a racing game trying to improve lap times.

Takes a little work but I could dock this and buy 10 vipers if I wanted.

Not for everybody though, it will take about 10-12 hours. If it wasn't for Xmas break I'd probably still be in a cobra.

It's a problem with advancing. Trading has a good curve up while others flatline. If I had a larger ship that $250k for 20 minutes would be almost $600k making it almost 1.8 million an hour.

I think that stories like this are very enticing for people trying to get rich fast. In reality the time finding a good route and the relative low profit per ton is putting people off.

I'm curious about the profit per tonnage you generally are getting.

I think that stories like this are very enticing for people trying to get rich fast. In reality the time finding a good route and the relative low profit per ton is putting people off.

I'm curious about the profit per tonnage you generally are getting.

977 one way, 1404 the other, 104 Cargo space.

One-Shot

Banned
Is it unrealistic to go far in my viper?. Seems like the weapons I want are like 74 lightyears away. What are you supposed to do to travel that far?

"Is it unrealistic to go far in my viper?. Seems like the weapons I want are like 74 lightyears away. What are you supposed to do to travel that far?"

You don't need to jump there in one go, you just need to be able to jump far enough to go from system to system until you get there, refueling/fuel scooping along the way.

Buy a better FSD, lower weight modules, etc. It should be able to get up to 8-9 ly jumps without too much money spent. However, if there are any connected systems that are further than 9ly away, you still won't be able to jump to them.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Yeah, trading is way faster. I just upgraded to a type 6. With the current balance it makes way more sense to trade as a primary earner and fund the other ships with your leftover play money.

One thing they could do to help is have bigger combat vouchers for bigger ships. I pick on the Eagles first in conbat zones because I can mow through those 5-10x faster than the bigger ships.

"Is it unrealistic to go far in my viper?. Seems like the weapons I want are like 74 lightyears away. What are you supposed to do to travel that far?"

You don't need to jump there in one go, you just need to be able to jump far enough to go from system to system until you get there, refueling/fuel scooping along the way.

Buy a better FSD, lower weight modules, etc. It should be able to get up to 8-9 ly jumps without too much money spent. However, if there are any connected systems that are further than 9ly away, you still won't be able to jump to them.

Yeah, my moderately upgraded Viper gets about 10ly per jump. 75ly really isn't that far.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah, trading is way faster. I just upgraded to a type 6. With the current balance it makes way more sense to trade as a primary earner and fund the other ships with your leftover play money.

Yep, trading makes money fast. As an example, today I hit 7.4 million in assets:

ozdNXW3.png

I only really traded heavily in the past few days to get there. And honestly I played sporadically, if I had the opportunity to marathon a trade route for a few hours I could have made many more credits. But as it is, this was enough for me to trade up the Lakon 6 to my precious, and I am the new owner of a Lakon Asp Explorer:

The Type 6 is a great trading vessel, but the Asp is what I've longed for. The view out of this thing is even better than the Type 6!

After flying it around for a bit and doing a few trade runs with it I'm in love. I already have it upgraded to a Class D power converter and FSD, and it's kitted up to 84T cargo space. That's 20T less than my Type 6 had, but the Asp is running with shields and weapons, is both faster and more maneuverable than the Type 6 (it's actually comparable to a Cobra). The Asp has so much more flexibility in it's roles and customizing. I'm going to space truck with it a bit to earn some more upgrade money, I want a Deep Surface Scanner on it, a Refinery, a Mining Laser, and some better sensors. I'll probably do a bit of bounty hunting with it too just for fun. Then I'm picking a far off star and heading out. Haven't decided which direction yet, I'm either heading for the outer rim of the galaxy or jumping inward towards the center...

Just got my Viper, upgraded some parts. Hitting 14ly per jump now! I am a bit anxious about the maneuverability but I think I'll get used to it. I decided to just sell my Eagle. Ended up not costing me anything and got some money back so I had a nice amount to upgrade.

Nymerio

I'm kinda attached to my eagle now, don't think I'll sell it.

Question about weapons: Do all weapon classes have all the ratings? What I mean is: Are there class 2, rating A weapons available somewhere?

Jedi2016

I'm kinda attached to my eagle now, don't think I'll sell it.

Question about weapons: Do all weapon classes have all the ratings? What I mean is: Are there class 2, rating A weapons available somewhere?
From what I've seen, yes. It seems everything has all classes and ratings. The trick is whether that particular station has it. I've found that High Tech stations tend to have more modules available for outfitting. If all else fails when I next go for upgrades, I'll go back to where I know they have practically everything known to man... Dutton Station in Ho Hsien.

Wreav

Banned
I just traded 18T of gold for a 200cr profit. Got interdicted twice. I guess I'm misreading the commodities page when it comes to import/export demand.

deadman69

im going to pick this up in like a week when i get money, whats the games tutorial like (if one at all) for someone whos pretty much a novice at flight/space sims?

Playing this game with Oculus Rift is soo much fun. Showed it to my girlfriend yesterday without the DK2 and it feels so different. She jumped and bought the game anyway though.

Just tried my first recording for Youtube via the mirrored image of the game.

Was hunting some criminals in Ho Hsi at the Nav Beacon. Strange moments here and there. A really aggressive Sidewinder stopped doing anything out of the blue.

check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrUI9Ql4WWU

Xanezz

Banned
im going to pick this up in like a week when i get money, whats the games tutorial like (if one at all) for someone whos pretty much a novice at flight/space sims?

The training drops you in some basic combat scenarios (don't worry, it gives you time to get accustomed to the controls in the first ones)

It's not hard to learn, honestly. You might want to rebind some more stuff than you're used to, especially if you're playing kb+m, but it'll be second nature within hours.

And don't get discouraged with everyone joking about docking, might want to keep some power in systems for your first few attempts though, and don't forget your docking request.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Nope all weapon classes are static. So every fixed medium pulse laser is the same, there isn't a better one anywhere. The grades are purely showing the size of the weapon and the dps.

Nymerio

From what I've seen, yes. It seems everything has all classes and ratings. The trick is whether that particular station has it. I've found that High Tech stations tend to have more modules available for outfitting. If all else fails when I next go for upgrades, I'll go back to where I know they have practically everything known to man... Dutton Station in Ho Hsien.

Oh cool, I'll keep my eagle then and see if I can find some better weapons. First thing tomorrow though, I'll treat myself to a viper.

Nope all weapon classes are static. So every fixed medium pulse laser is the same, there isn't a better one anywhere. The grades are purely showing the size of the weapon and the dps.

Aaaw that sucks :'(

Lettuce

Has anyone here cleared the last training mission?. I have got to wave 9 managed to take out 1 of the 3 ships but thats the furthest ive got!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom