• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Those high bounties as a new player are amazing. I remember when I got mine, only a week ago, and I was able to get my Eagle which served me well until today. Definitely had me hooked from that first bounty.

It was probably best you cancelled that mission as I've YET to successfully complete any of those "find this guy in this system" missions. I think they're bugged.

I found one today, problem was my Adder was no match for the Anaconda and I got hammered quick start. You have no idea the rush I experienced as I was waiting for the FSD to kick in and just seconds before it kicked in I got an "incoming missile" warning pop up on the screen and escaped just in time. What a thrill!

Xane

Currently in my fitted out ASP and hit 22m and wondering if I should switch to a Type-7 or farm a bit more.

Also, when buying ships I heard that you pay a 10% fee for selling components and it's actually better to manually sell your components for 0% loss before switching your ship. I never noticed it until I compared how much 10% from my ASP actually is. Wonder if selling manually actually does a better job...

Xanezz

Banned
Currently in my fitted out ASP and hit 22m and wondering if I should switch to a Type-7 or farm a bit more.

Also, when buying ships I heard that you pay a 10% fee for selling components and it's actually better to manually sell your components for 0% loss before switching your ship. I never noticed it until I compared how much 10% from my ASP actually is. Wonder if selling manually actually does a better job...

Yeah if you go the fast way it reduces the sell price of internals by 10%.
Especially if you have some high quality stuff in there it is def. better to replace it before selling the ship.

TheTrain

I'm in Sorbago, there are two capital ship here. What the hell is happening?
I've a rank now [Outsider], for the emperor!
I don't know what is changed but ehi, this is....something! :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I use elitetradingtool.co.uk, as well as Slopey's BPC application. I had trouble finding Tea for a while as well!

Yep, Thrudd's trading tool is my favorite to use for Elite so far. Seems much more accurate than Slopey's for me, easier to use, and just handy overall. The only downside is that it crashes a lot due to too many people using it, LOL. His servers just can't handle all of the Elite players using it.

Dougald

Whoops, I just boosted out of a station on my Lakon, slightly clipped an NPC in his sidewinder, sending him spiralling out of control into the docking port, killing him

Barely a scratch on my ship, this type 6 is built like a tank.

After flying it around for a bit and doing a few trade runs with it I'm in love. I already have it upgraded to a Class D power converter and FSD, and it's kitted up to 84T cargo space. That's 20T less than my Type 6 had, but the Asp is running with shields and weapons, is both faster and more maneuverable than the Type 6 (it's actually comparable to a Cobra). The Asp has so much more flexibility in it's roles and customizing. I'm going to space truck with it a bit to earn some more upgrade money, I want a Deep Surface Scanner on it, a Refinery, a Mining Laser, and some better sensors. I'll probably do a bit of bounty hunting with it too just for fun. Then I'm picking a far off star and heading out. Haven't decided which direction yet, I'm either heading for the outer rim of the galaxy or jumping inward towards the center...

Ha, this made me want the ASP so bad, so I got it, outfitted a few things and drove it around (so awesome), did a haul and fuel was 3x the cost and a ding cost even more! Plus the insurance was about 280k! Unfortunately, my budget can't afford that right now, would need to have a bigger bankroll to feel safe. So I took the 1m credit hit and sold it back and fully outfitted my Type 6 with all the best. I'll do a few more days of trading and just buy it outright and keep my Type 6 as a fall back.

But man, it sounds like a B52 bomber or something, was really awesome. Definitely going to pick one up when I want to go exploring but as a trading vessel it doesn't make sense with fuel costs negating the slight increase in cargo. Although knowing I could turn and destroy most things that tried to interdict me was a nice feeling. Instead of being the space equivalent of a Sea Slug (not the cool looking poisonous kind).

The only thing that worries me about ship storage is if I die, it won't give me the option to spawn at my other ships locations (I assume) so if I die too far away from a stored ship, I may not even be able to make it back to the ship depending I had as a backup!

As much as I play and love this game.. I was sitting in the cockpit of my ship in a station this evening, looking around at the buildings and windows; Completely empty and sterile.. Not even a vague shape of a being in the control tower. Made me a little "sad". I hope they add some..life..to the expansions later, the game really needs it, or at least something simple when communicating like Frontier: Elite II had.

Yeah, even though there is a billion things, I've done about 4-5 different trading routes in different areas and they are all the same. To somebody watching it's the same outpost, same "city", same launch, even got a new ship and to the untrained eye, that was the 'same'.

I think the biggest problem is they tried to sell this as an MMO. I don't care what the "technical" term is, there is an expectation to what an "MMO" is in 2014. You could call it a FPS too if you "technically" wanted to because you're in first person and you can shoot stuff.

The base game is a lot of fun. Exploration will be fun too when I get around to it but getting "stranded" with a 7m ship doesn't sound like 'fun' just yet. Since they sold it as an MMO then shipped with less communication features than a Nintendo game I think is one of the major issues. They should have left that whole descriptor off altogether. "A massive space simulation game with the possibility of discovering other players" or something like that would have been better. This is an extremely niche game with an extremely niche market. Yes, others will look and be interested but I really think calling it an "MMO" is a bad idea for what is there and it gives people the wrong expectation.

It definitely does feel sterile in general. I think the combat is spot on, but they definitely need to tweak rewards and such. I don't want to go broke playing the "fun" part of the game (although I enjoy space truckin!) if I suck at it and die a bunch of times learning loadouts and tactics.

I still enjoy the game but honestly, with the bugs and such, there is a small incentive for me to break out and explore at this point. Shit, a station that is "green" to me attacked me for no apparent reason and I lost about 1m in cargo and insurance costs. That's a couple hours of space truckin'. I left the station, boosted away, started charging up my drive, leaned down to pet my puppy sitting on my feet, looked back up and said "You were destroyed by ____ station". No indication of why. No weapons deployed (haven't even deployed them in days) and was out of the "no fire zone" anyway since you leave that, then drop Mass Lock for the FSD.

I will probably grind and then go do some bounty hunting for a while, but I could see myself shelving it for a bit until they add a patch and such with more interesting takes on things. They really should have a larger ship you can dock your own ships too. If I could buy a Type 7 and use some cargo space for a Viper or something, I'd definitely go exploring and leave the systems I'm "grinding at".

Dougald

I'm surprised there are any NPCs left at the rate stations keep blowing them up, I swear every time I dock there's someone being destroyed

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

YES, manually selling your modules before trading a ship in for another one is better. I've tried it both ways for comparison, and taking 10% value off of cheap modules instead of good ones when trading in can save you a LOT of credits, especially if you have some good upgrades on the ship.

Basically, if you sell modules before trading, then you never lose value on those modules. You more or less rent them, as long as you don't lose the ship due to not enough credits to cover your insurance (in case of death). It's why I don't hesitate to invest in upgrades if I can afford them. It's also why I have zero inhibition to exchange cargo racks for refinerys or weapons for mining lasers if the mood suits me. I can always switch back at zero net loss to me. This is also why I don't store any ships anywhere, I trade them in or sell them (after selling off the modules first) and move on to somewhere else in the galaxy. I consider that 10% loss on the ship price a "rental fee". And now that I have my Asp it is my primary ship that I will keep for the long haul. If I want to go combat dogfighting somewhere then I'll park the Asp and buy an Eagle or Vyper, kit them out, and dogfight to my hearts content (much cheaper buy back cost than my Asp). When I've had enough I'll sell the combat ship's modules, then sell the ship, hop back into my Asp and be on my way.

I don't want any stored ships anywhere, my credits are much more fluid, flexible, and valuable to me than random ships scattered across the galaxy.

But man, it sounds like a B52 bomber or something, was really awesome. Definitely going to pick one up when I want to go exploring but as a trading vessel it doesn't make sense with fuel costs negating the slight increase in cargo. Although knowing I could turn and destroy most things that tried to interdict me was a nice feeling. Instead of being the space equivalent of a Sea Slug (not the cool looking poisonous kind).

Yeah, the Asp has a snarl sound to it that I love. Sounds like an angry WWII bomber or something, very distinctive. As for the fuel costs of the Asp I put a Class 3 fuel scoop in mine and gas is no longer an issue. It fills up very fast, fuel is free for me now, so I have zero problems with jumping ten times on a trade route.

And it's very nice being able to turn and destroy anything that interdicts me too! I was tired of running away in the Type 6.

YES, manually selling your modules before trading a ship in for another one is better. I've tried it both ways for comparison, and taking 10% value off of cheap modules instead of good ones when trading in can save you a LOT of credits, especially if you have some good upgrades on the ship.

Basically, if you sell modules before trading, then you never lose value on those modules. You more or less rent them, as long as you don't lose the ship due to not enough credits to cover your insurance (in case of death). It's why I don't hesitate to invest in upgrades if I can afford them. It's also why I have zero inhibition to exchange cargo racks for refinerys or weapons for mining lasers if the mood suits me. I can always switch back at zero net loss to me. This is also why I don't store any ships anywhere, I trade them in or sell them (after selling off the modules first) and move on to somewhere else in the galaxy. I consider that 10% loss on the ship price a "rental fee". And now that I have my Asp it is my primary ship that I will keep for the long haul. If I want to go combat dogfighting somewhere then I'll park the Asp and buy an Eagle or Vyper, kit them out, and dogfight to my hearts content (much cheaper buy back cost than my Asp). When I've had enough I'll sell the combat ship's modules, then sell the ship, hop back into my Asp and be on my way.

I don't want any stored ships anywhere, my credits are much more fluid, flexible, and valuable to me than random ships scattered across the galaxy.

Yeah, the Asp has a snarl sound to it that I love. Sounds like an angry WWII bomber or something, very distinctive. As for the fuel costs of the Asp I put a Class 3 fuel scoop in mine and gas is no longer an issue. It fills up very fast, fuel is free for me now, so I have zero problems with jumping ten times on a trade route.

And it's very nice being able to turn and destroy anything that interdicts me too! I was tired of running away in the Type 6.

Wow I wish I knew this. Damn it all!

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

YES! I was just thinking the same thing. Throttling down sounds like a Lancaster bomber going past. The sound on this game never ceases to amaze me.

Skyzard

Banned
Some of my expensive modules on the cobra I couldn't even sell at a station I was using regularly, no way I was getting 0cr for them so I just stored it, some where far away now.

Shame I don't really have access to it without a big journey and then one of my ships will always be there unless I rebuy everything nearby.
Ship and weapons storage and retrieval would be very useful.

No one wants to share their resource extraction sites? :p
Come on guys, just the one outside the Ho Hsi system but nearby...I know I'll end up like 70 light years away if I go looking again.

About calling this game an mmo, yep I agree. It's a fun base game, I'm really enjoying the combat a lot, the rewards are a little bit off sometimes but it's not too bad to do, though not compared to the trade routes I'm reading about. Maybe there is similar progression for bounty hunting when you rank up or something.

As a ground base it's decent but it has a lot more potential, I hope they don't get lazy.

It would make discovery more compelling if the undiscovered locations were places where new things they add to the game can be found too.
It's not as bad as I said before with all spheres, there are some nice looking views in this game. They done a decent job with graphics/performance (except for mini-freezing when ships come into contact).
But it's so fun to be in you want more than what there is. And if you've been playing for a few hours a day like I have, you become familiar with the main aspects of the game quite fast and it being a bigass space game seems to ring less true or doesn't mean as much as you'd hope.

bj00rn_

Banned
I was thinking the same thing. It's one of those games that look so full of things to do on the surface, but as soon as you learn the basics, it becomes apparent how empty everything is. The game is still alright and with the Oculus Rift it looks amazing, but it feels too empty. All the stations look the same. All the billboards look the same. All you do is go around doing chores in space. I wish they had taken a lot more time to pack the game with details. I'm saying something like Mass Effect with tons of options and side stuff that reveals endless amounts of things about the world with new updates adding even more..

I understand what you're saying and respect your points. But my point wasn't that I think everything is the same in the game. My point was just that when I sat there on the platform with my DK2 VR HMD on (with 1:1 scale it's easy to notice there's no one inside the buildings..), I saw no actual life around me whatsoever, not even a shadow, and all the communication in the game also feels kinda lifeless.

Elite Dangerous itself I think has a lot of detail, I'm impressed by the framework they've built, some of the most solid work I've seen in a space game (I'm not saying there's enough of everything, just saying they've done good work on what's already in there), and I do think the game has a personality - Just not when it comes to the sense of life (at least when playing solo).

I miss the feeling of NPCs and communications with them being a tangible part of the atmosphere (especially in solo). The only hint of life we get is the bare bones text box communication we have with the NPCs.

Other than that I am hooked on this game for real.

Haluko

So, I finally got the ASP. Holy shit this is the best ship to play with a Oculus. I really like the Lakon 6 but the ASP has an amazing canopy view. Its like being in a glass bubble.

Dont damage the hull, wow its expensive. I did 12% damage on the hull and was close to 30k. Gas is very pricy as I only have the B drive atm, but Im going to switch from the A2 scoop to the A3 and I should be good. The A2 doesnt cut it with a 32 ton tank.

Ive had an sidy, eagle, viper, cobra, and lakon 6. The ASP is by far my favorite. I highly recommend it if you can afford to run it.

I have 4.5 mil in the bank just need to grind to 10 mil to get the A frameshift, advanced and detail scanner.. and Im off to other side of the galaxy. I dont have any desire to grind to an anaconda or type 9. Maybe when I get back I might get the python.

Now I just have to grind my trade route for hours... :(

Skyzard

Banned
Wow theres zero challenge. :(

Nah, don't worry the combat can be plenty challenging. Against weak NPCs and with a loadout that's all gimballed weapons it can be crazy easy though.

I had a quick skim of that video and the npc ships ranking he was fighting against were all pretty low. Mostly novices and one "pretty harmless" guy. Not sure if that's because of the guy's rank himself, dunno how scaling works yet.

The higher ranked (and usual bigger pay-out) dudes twist and turn fast, have decent aiming and defensive measures and make use of boosting and diverting power.

Not all the time and all of them - tbh they could be a little tougher and meaner on average - I'm hoping it scales more with my combat rank. But there will be tough fights if you want them. [Although with missions I would like more of an in-between, so far I've been offered small pie or anacondas for 150K]. I head to extraction sites.
PvP is a different story of course.

Python NPC dicks will straight up aim to take you out with their fat ship in a collision, you got to dodge when you go for a run-by. Even sidewinders can be tough if you get lazy with the turns (if you don't divert power to engines for the thrusters when you need it, if you don't switch off flight assist and give it some reverse throttle to get a faster turn going, if you don't follow their movement and paths and judge appropriately etc).

Gimballed weapons make it easier to lock on but they do less damage and are pretty useless if the enemy has chaff. I combine a slightly weaker gimballed laser with a heavy fixed one. And two fixed fragment canons in a different firegroup for when their shields are down and I'm close - I may switch the weaker one to a gimballed multi-cannon.

It's not enough to deal with all situations and all possible loadouts that you can come across (chaff won't affect homing missiles, only gimballed weapons, you need other things but might not have the slots).
I don't think you can set it up for everything without a massive ship but then you're also a big target - but you can optimize your loadout for things you'll most likely be doing/want to do. It's pretty costly though especially if want good stuff.

Nah, don't worry the combat can be plenty challenging.

Python NPC dicks will straight up aim to take you out with their fat ship in a collision, you got to dodge when you go for a run-by. Even sidewinders can be tough if you get lazy with the turns (if you don't divert power to engines for the thrusters when you need it, if you don't switch off flight assist and give it some reverse throttle to get a faster turn going, if you don't follow their movement and paths and judge appropriately etc).

Gimballed weapons make it easier to lock on but they do less damage and are pretty useless if the enemy has chaff. I combine a slightly weaker gimballed laser with a heavy fixed one. And two fixed fragment canons in a different firegroup for when their shields are down and I'm close.

That's some cool advice. Thanks.

Jedi2016

I've found that, while chaff can be annoying while running someone down with gimballed weapons, it also gives them a chance to recharge (assuming you hold fire until you get a lock back). So once the chaff wears off, I tear into them even worse than before.

Does anyone know what advantage there is to buying better thrusters? Faster acceleration, higher top speed, etc?

So, I finally got the ASP. Holy shit this is the best ship to play with a Oculus. I really like the Lakon 6 but the ASP has an amazing canopy view. Its like being in a glass bubble.

Dont damage the hull, wow its expensive. I did 12% damage on the hull and was close to 30k. Gas is very pricy as I only have the B drive atm, but Im going to switch from the A2 scoop to the A3 and I should be good. The A2 doesnt cut it with a 32 ton tank.

Ive had an sidy, eagle, viper, cobra, and lakon 6. The ASP is by far my favorite. I highly recommend it if you can afford to run it.

I have 4.5 mil in the bank just need to grind to 10 mil to get the A frameshift, advanced and detail scanner.. and Im off to other side of the galaxy. I dont have any desire to grind to an anaconda or type 9. Maybe when I get back I might get the python.

Now I just have to grind my trade route for hours... :(

Man, I already miss it. But after upgrading a ton of things (not paying attention to my bankroll) I only had about 300k, barely enough for insurance and if I had cargo would have screwed me. Think I'll grind some more in the Type 6 which is now fully upgraded and not so much of a tank but I definitely need to have some bank before fully moving on to the ASP. Probably my favorite ship that I've flown/played with so far, but then again, have only done the basic progression of Side > Eagle > Cobra > Type 6 > ASP.

The type 7 is too limiting on where you can land so I'll probably skip the "large" ships altogether until (if) we can take our own ships. Although the bankroll with that ship once finding a decent back and forth route would be crazy.

Skyzard

Banned
I've found that, while chaff can be annoying while running someone down with gimballed weapons, it also gives them a chance to recharge (assuming you hold fire until you get a lock back). So once the chaff wears off, I tear into them even worse than before.

Does anyone know what advantage there is to buying better thrusters? Faster acceleration, higher top speed, etc?

I make a run for it when the chaff fades out to regenerate a bit after getting in close while they're on to do some damage.

I prefer disabling the cargo hatch to save some power on my viper and using two shield banks for quick regens. I've heard some people alternate between 2 chaff launchers.
A really strong shield bank and a weaker one I can use for emergencies. I make sure to switch their modules on/off in the system modules menu so it doesn't use both at the same time as I prefer to have them bound to a key and not a firegroup.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

They are used for maneuverability, so your ship will turn better, accelerate and decelerate faster and you get a slight increase to your top speed.

Jedi2016

Found some pretty good trade routes using Thrudd's tool. The trick is to make the long haul... don't stick with what the system normally imports and exports to. Go dozens of light years away, into a totally different economy, and prices are way different, lots more profit. Helps that my Cobra has an upgraded FSD, but this will make it faster to get my Type-6.

Found some pretty good trade routes using Thrudd's tool. The trick is to make the long haul... don't stick with what the system normally imports and exports to. Go dozens of light years away, into a totally different economy, and prices are way different, lots more profit. Helps that my Cobra has an upgraded FSD, but this will make it faster to get my Type-6.

Yeah, another key is finding stations/orbitals that aren't too far from jump in. No point in saving a couple minutes from an extra FSD jump if it takes 5 minutes to fly to the station once you're in the system. I find about 3k from jump in is my absolute limit, and can't be on both ends.

Haluko

I agree with this, the route I make right now is a 19.2ly jump but it nets 240k round trip with 116 cargo space in about 12 minutes. Im sure there is better to be found, but its working for me.

Skyzard

Banned
NVM i found this video and i think it explains it well : http://youtu.be/WtD41MRibe4

Ok it explains FA off well, but he says that there is no real benefits from FA off and i see some people say the same things in the commentary... I also see angry people cause of the speed limits in FA off.

I'm pretty new to it myself so just a warning - also I'd appreciate any tips/corrections. There are benefits but I don't recommend going purely flight assist off. For one, aiming is really, really hard with fixed weapons against smaller ships.

I use FA off to face the enemy while travelling in a different direction quite a bit. Makes you less predictable and more flexible.

It allows you to turn faster once you've got the momentum as it just builds up with your inputs (to a limit) - it doesn't restabalize after you make the input by cancelling it out with the opposite thruster like it would with flight assist on (so that you face the direction you are going - no - you can carry on facing that direction with your momentum going a different way).

Careful as though you will be facing the enemy more to do hits, especially if they have gimballed weapons, your canopy is going to take more of a beating and can crack before your ship goes down. Then the count down before your oxygen is out starts and you need to make it back. You can carry on fighting if you want but fixed weapons are harder with no hud elements in the broken parts :p

The most common thing I use it for is to face a new direction faster. I start turning (pitch up or down) at the same time as I slow myself down (then I enable flight assist and watch my spin go faster). If you carry on spinning after 180 degrees the reverse thruster will work against you for the spin and you'll need forward thrusters to turn faster but usually I just boost. I'm not comfortable yet with the switching between reverse and forward thrusters during a spin.
But it always starts with reversing the thruster for faster turning when you've been travelling with flight assist on (since you would have been moving in the same direction you were facing).

Just because you're facing them faster doesn't mean you're not a sitting duck as you slowed yourself down to face that way with the thrusters.

Try and follow 2 axis at time. Say you are going backwards and want to go forwards instead. Push forward a little bit but press upwards or downwards as well so you are still moving, and then once you've shifted your momentum from backwards to up or down, then start pushing forwards. This makes it so that you are always moving and harder to hit. You can face them by pitching and rolling while your thrusters are working [but you'll need to change the thruster you're using if you face a different way to carry on going in that same direction].
You can just boost to go from moving backwards to forwards but you use a boost and will slow down during the changeover.

-=-=--=-=
About the speed limits with flight assist off, I imagine that's for accessibility.
That's fine for me, not a huge deal although it does make understanding it all a bit confusing with maybe less payoff for people who are really capable. But you'll also have a bit more control on average as you wouldn't take things to such crazy velocities that you struggle to bring it back in a decent amount of time.

I'd like to be able to yaw faster when travelling slowly (mostly for parking err docking) but I can understand that would be hard to explain with the lore (why you can only yaw faster while travelling slowly - no air resistance). Whereas you can sort of explain the other limits (manageable velocities).
I'm glad you can't yaw fast during combat, it means people aren't sitting on a spot rotating, even if it's more 'realistic' it would feel a bit cheap. I'd still prefer that they allow you to yaw a little bit faster while at a stop and not when travelling fast and say it's for stability purposes that it's slower when moving faster or some shit. Just so it feels a bit better - not enough that people find it better to slow down and yaw - hmmm the tradeoff/sweet spot might be hard to find. But yawwing your expensive ass ship as it's hovering above the dock is kind of a bummer with how slow it is.

Wreav

Banned
Like I posted on Reddit yesterday, going in cold is completely pointless, and a great way to lose money. It's super easy to beat the scans with speed alone.

Saganator

If an enemy uses chaff, you can un-target them, and your gimballed weapon turns into a fixed weapon, negating the chaff. I've surprised a couple people doing this.

Better thrusters gives you a slightly higher maximum weight and is lighter, I think they accelerate faster, but I'm not sure.

So guys, help me out here. Using http://elitetradingtool.co.uk/ I found a route to trade Narcotics. However, arriving in the station there's no option to sell the Narcotics :s Even though the site got updated 10 min ago. I'm confused.

Did you go to Contacts, and then "Sell to Black Market" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom