• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk: EU illegally offered us to avoid fines if we quietly censored the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikolino840

Illegal secret ..lol sure ...i bet that is so secret that it has a public access...that deal is in the Vesteger twit perhaps?

DAHGAMING

Say what you want about X, and yes it is a cesspit of scum and lies but thats the nature of humans, where there are humans there is scum and you have to do some digging to find the good people and worthwhile content. Im not to big on social media as a whole, deleted Facebook ages ago, never went down the tiktok path (that shit seems the worst of the lot), just have Instagram to share a few pics from time to time and X, I just go on the Following tab to avoid all the recomended bollocks.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
EU should just ban or force a EU owned subsidiary of Twitter, same as US tries do to with Tick Tock.
Why would any country want its primary source of information (sadly for many that is the reality) be in the hands of a foreign power and one that is bending to the will of a mad billionaire?
With the possibility to meaningfully influence voting based on whatever this mad billionaire thinks would be best for his company and changing the algorithm accordingly.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don’t think asking them to follow the law is illegal.

Sweeping EU digital misinformation law takes effect​

Facebook, Amazon and other large tech companies must curb hate speech, propaganda and other harmful content under the Digital Services Act. Smaller companies will face compliance next.

The irony of Musk spreading misinformation to others while explaining what happened is thikk.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Say what you want about X, and yes it is a cesspit of scum and lies but thats the nature of humans, where there are humans there is scum and you have to do some digging to find the good people and worthwhile content. Im not to big on social media as a whole, deleted Facebook ages ago, never went down the tiktok path (that shit seems the worst of the lot), just have Instagram to share a few pics from time to time and X, I just go on the Following tab to avoid all the recomended bollocks.
Since he fired most of Twitter employees, the place has become a cesspool. Added subscription model and moderation become smaller and smaller.

Theres always a side to both stories. Theres no doubt EU does deal in some form of censorship, mostly to protect but I doubt its as bad as Elon put it. Best to just ,mind ur own life and ignore social media and these old men buffoons.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Yes, there is zero doubt in my mind that certain authorities have a desire to censor people. How much and for what probably varies. I think in terms of discourse, Twitter is objectively worse under Musk. Yes, there's more open discussion, but the trade off is people posting stuff and getting 100 replies where 70 of them are trolls calling the person a "Jew" with no repercussion. Having said all that, it's not a complete negative. Under old management, the likes of JK Rowling would have long been suspended for speaking basic truths and I don't think the growing pushback turn we're seeing on child mutilation would have been possible under old leadership. Because every other platform suspends any dissenters on that front and the major media outlets don't cover it. So every once in a while Musk will get a win, but overall I think his open discourse ideas have gone way too far and allow incessant harassment and toxicity.

I remember back in the 2010-2015 days, people used to go on there to chat and have back and forths with other people. I've noticed in the last several years that no one really does that anymore. It's just post n ghost. Probably because anyone with any semblance of a following knows that if they try to discuss anything even remotely out of line with their base, they'll get piled on mercilessly with the most violent, angry vitriolic responses you can possibly imagine. And I can't blame them for not wanting any part of that, honestly. That has only magnified with Elon.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Unherd is a respected outlet in the UK and uncovered the disinfo/misinfo madness quite well in this series of vids.

Well worth a watch.

I kinda love the wild Wild West of X.
Having it as a wild west platform is better than the alternative. I have no doubt it's true that the EU wants to control the platform to steer it to suit their technocracy.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

It’s literally the law to have a team that controls misinformation in the EU.

Ah yes, laws, that'll stop the govt. from lying about information, especially when they are the ones to regulate what is "misinformation" in the first place. Good on ya for being a believer mate you are really helping their cause.

Unknown?

Since he fired most of Twitter employees, the place has become a cesspool. Added subscription model and moderation become smaller and smaller.
Lol, it's not any worse than it already was. Censorship only exists outside of a free society.

Mistake

Ah yes, laws, that'll stop the govt. from lying about information, especially when they are the ones to regulate what is "misinformation" in the first place. Good on ya for being a believer mate you are really helping their cause.
I don't think that's what he meant. He's just explaining the reason for EU doing what it's doing. Legal censorship basically, so not sure Elon can do much in the face of that law except bail out

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I would rather be required to have some discernment on the information available than have companies and governments determine what I am allowed to ingest or read.

censorship never benefits the user it only ever benefits the censoring power.

Guilty_AI

They are bugs. Look at the damage zuckery did in 3rd world countries with his misinformation facebook platform.
I don't know what damage you're talking about, but being from Brazil myself i can tell you facebook isn't the main cause of any of our problems here.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I don't know what damage you're talking about, but being from Brazil myself i can tell you facebook isn't the main cause of any of our problems here.
Here

Unmoderated social media during election and high stake events allows foul party to saw division and straight up misinformation news.

Facebook turned their eyes, while the shit hit the fan in those regions.

If they can do that, then there is nothing stopping them from doing it to other countries.

Guilty_AI

Here

Unmoderated social media during election and high stake events allows foul party to saw division and straight up misinformation news.

Facebook turned their eyes, while the shit hit the fan in those regions.

If they can do that, then there is nothing stopping them from doing it to other countries.
Ah yes, genocides in Ethiopia, conflict in Israel and Palestine, human trafficking on the phillipines. All because Facebook's algorithm wasn't good enough, and not because they were existing problems where bad actors purposefully misuse one of many available tools in ways they won't be caught.

This is like saying if we banned guns there would be no wars.

Last edited:

Hudo

Considering what kinda of bullshit Elon tweets at times i'l wait for the actual proof rather then taking either ones word as bible.

As expected. Elon has tweeted so much bullshit in his lifetime that I'm surprised there are still people believing him.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I wouldn't be shocked if the EU did offer such a deal. It would certainly benefit them if they could control the narrative.

The same Elon Musk that wants to create a new species on Mars?
Right......

I'm not sure what you expected to achieve with this? The comments were from 2013. Bioengineering new forms of organisms that are better suited to Mars isn't possible right now, but should be considered if humanity is going to live there in the future.

NASA have also considered this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom