• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

The Hotelier released the album art and tracklist for "Goodness"

1. N 43° 59′ 38.927″ W 71° 23′ 45.27”
2. Goodness Pt. 2
3. Piano Player
4. N 43° 33′ 55.676″ W 72° 45′ 11.914″
5. Two Deliverances
6. Settle The Scar
7. Opening Mail For My Grandmother
8. N 42° 6′ 3.001″ W 71° 55′ 3.295″
9. Soft Animal
10. Sun
11. You In This Light
12. Fear Of Good
13. End Of Reel

The album artwork is NSFW, so here's the link.

http://tinyengines.limitedrun.com/products/566790-the-hotelier-goodness-2xlp-cd#

This will turn some eyes, I'm sure. It's not Death Grips, but it's pretty close :p

2. Goodness Pt. 2
3. Piano Player
5. Two Deliverances
6. Settle The Scar
9. Soft Animal
10. Sun
11. You In This Light
12. Fear Of Good
13. End Of Reel

http://tinyengines.limitedrun.com/products/566790-the-hotelier-goodness-2xlp-cd#

This will turn some eyes, I'm sure. It's not Death Grips, but it's pretty close :p

Digging the album cover

kris.

Banned
very uhhhhhhhh interesting album art. pumped for the album. that acoustic track they released was excellent.

Oh man, I didn't know this thread existed. Sign me up.

You have to be happy with the progress we have shown! Tbh on a site like GAF, there is probably not too too many emo fans.

Theresdozensofus.gif

But going back to Modern Baseballs latest EP from last year, I finally gave it an honest shot and I'm really digging it. Was worried about them heading in a new direction after not really loving the new Front Bottoms album, but if it's like this EP I think I'm gonna love it.
I don't care if it's pop punk and not real emo damnit

Glad to see someone else was not into TFB new album. Tried listening to it again the other day and something is just... off. I feel like it's over-produced (I don't know if that's a pompous thing to say, haha) and even the lyrics sound lazier to me.

They're playing at a venue near me in April and I've been really torn over whether I should go. Seen them twice live and both times were amazing... but if the majority of their set is the newest stuff I don't know if I can get behind it.

Modern Baseball - Holy Ghost, out May 13th

Teaser: http://youtu.be/F95v7W-c9CI

Hyped.

So hyped for this. Their newest EP was amazing, still playing it regularly. Would kill to see them live but they never come near me :'(

Love the KDev avatar. Reminds me that him and Jesse Lacey announced the last Devinyl split today. They're doing two R.E.M. songs.

Kawl_USC

Oh man, I didn't know this thread existed. Sign me up.

Glad to see someone else was not into TFB new album. Tried listening to it again the other day and something is just... off. I feel like it's over-produced (I don't know if that's a pompous thing to say, haha) and even the lyrics sound lazier to me.

They're playing at a venue near me in April and I've been really torn over whether I should go. Seen them twice live and both times were amazing... but if the majority of their set is the newest stuff I don't know if I can get behind it.

So hyped for this. Their newest EP was amazing, still playing it regularly. Would kill to see them live but they never come near me :'(

Yea, that was my main feeling on it, felt over produced and just not as raw. I got to chat with Brian and the rest of the band after they played a show in Houston since their opener was a friend of a friend, and I softened my opinion of it to not offend him as he was a super nice dude. He also denied that their new label had any influence on the album. He mentioned that the album art was from a motorcycle riding class he took (which definitely came through in the lyrics as well) where each person contributed a different part of the bike. So overall, there are a few songs I like off it but its not in my normal rotation, I can still appreciate the effort and all that.

And for what its worth, when I saw them in November on their Back on Top tour it was still at least 50% old stuff as well as the new. So I say definitely still go to the show.

And that definitely sucks on MoBo, I've seen them like 3 times at this point with different crazy good openers every time.

Yea, that was my main feeling on it, felt over produced and just not as raw. I got to chat with Brian and the rest of the band after they played a show in Houston since their opener was a friend of a friend, and I softened my opinion of it to not offend him as he was a super nice dude. He also denied that their new label had any influence on the album. He mentioned that the album art was from a motorcycle riding class he took (which definitely came through in the lyrics as well) where each person contributed a different part of the bike. So overall, there are a few songs I like off it but its not in my normal rotation, I can still appreciate the effort and all that.

And for what its worth, when I saw them in November on their Back on Top tour it was still at least 50% old stuff as well as the new. So I say definitely still go to the show.

And that definitely sucks on MoBo, I've seen them like 3 times at this point with different crazy good openers every time.

Aw, that's cool about the album art. I met him at the last show I went to and you're right, he does seem like a super nice and genuine dude. If it was a good mix of old stuff still I will probably go then :)

Argh, I bet! Closest MoBo shows to me are always in NYC and even then they sell out fast. Ah well, one day.

Everyone listen to LIONS

I am going to start plugging them every new page now since they need more recognition especially their MTNZ EP

RPS37

The Rolling Stone posted a countdown if the 40 best emo albums of all time, and as is expected there's some questionable picks (MCR, Fall Out Boy, Panic at The Disco) but there's also some great stuff like the Jazz June, a Sunny Day Real Estate, Mineral and others.

Check it: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/40-greatest-emo-albums-of-all-time-20160301/the-jazz-june-the-medicine-2000-20160225
That's an alright list. Some bands on there that I thought were obscure bands no one even heard of back when I listened to them in high school.

The Rolling Stone posted a countdown if the 40 best emo albums of all time, and as is expected there's some questionable picks (MCR, Fall Out Boy, Panic at The Disco) but there's also some great stuff like the Jazz June, a Sunny Day Real Estate, Mineral and others.

Check it: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/40-greatest-emo-albums-of-all-time-20160301/the-jazz-june-the-medicine-2000-20160225

It isn't the worst list I have ever seen but there are way too many questionables on there and bands that are straight up not emo. Like Coheed wtf? I love Coheed but they are most certainly not emo. And then don't get me started on The Used, MCR, and Fall Out Boy.

I do agree with the number 1 album though

Pity Sex are streaming and new song and have a new record out on the 29th of April: http://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/exclusive-track-premiere-pity-sex-bonhomie#_

Pretty good song, one more release to look forward this year.

I love Pity Sex and this song was rad. Really looking forward to their new album

It isn't the worst list I have ever seen but there are way too many questionables on there and bands that are straight up not emo. Like Coheed wtf? I love Coheed but they are most certainly not emo. And then don't get me started on The Used, MCR, and Fall Out Boy.

Have you listened to Coheed's first two albums? I'd argue that they (especially Second Stage) are definitely both emo records. Good Apollo probably wasn't the best choice.

Bands like MCR and FOB may look weird compared to stuff like Promise Ring, Orchid, or Braid, but I think both bands' early material (yeah, even FUTCT and Three Cheers) were heavily rooted in/inspired by second wave emo.

As much as some people may hate considering mall emo and other third wave bands a part of the legit emo pedigree, these albums start to make sense when you think about how music was changing around 2000. The internet changed the game when it came to accessibility. Suddenly people had access to practically any song they could think of. I could download records from bands that would never have been stocked in my middle of nowhere Disc Jockey or Wal-Mart alongside ska, hardcore, metal, jazz, pop, or anything else that I heard about. I think that (along with the obvious mainstream popularity of bands that hit it big on the radio) is one big reason why third wave stuff may sound really different even though it really isn't.

Have you listened to Coheed's first two albums? I'd argue that they (especially Second Stage) are definitely both emo records. Good Apollo probably wasn't the best choice.

Bands like MCR and FOB may look weird compared to stuff like Promise Ring, Orchid, or Braid, but I think both bands' early material (yeah, even FUTCT and Three Cheers) were heavily rooted in/inspired by second wave emo.

As much as some people may hate considering mall emo and other third wave bands a part of the legit emo pedigree, these albums start to make sense when you think about how music was changing around 2000. The internet changed the game when it came to accessibility. Suddenly people had access to practically any song they could think of. I could download records from bands that would never have been stocked in my middle of nowhere Disc Jockey or Wal-Mart alongside ska, hardcore, metal, jazz, pop, or anything else that I heard about. I think that (along with the obvious mainstream popularity of bands that hit it big on the radio) is one big reason why third wave stuff may sound really different even though it really isn't.

I really think you will be hard pressed to call Coheed emo still. Second Turbine you could argue PHC but emo I will never agree with.

I can see it with MCR and FOB as much as I hate it with all the connotations those bands come with. FOB really has no ties to the genre while MCR does but very lightly.

I'm just fucking stoked that Rolling Stone put Orchid in a fucking article of theirs lol

kiguel182

This Citizen tour with Turnover, Sorority Noise and Milk Teeth is crazy. Everybody in the US should try and catch it.

I really think you will be hard pressed to call Coheed emo still. Second Turbine you could argue PHC but emo I will never agree with.

I can see it with MCR and FOB as much as I hate it with all the connotations those bands come with. FOB really has no ties to the genre while MCR does but very lightly.

I'm just fucking stoked that Rolling Stone put Orchid in a fucking article of theirs lol

I love FOB but Pete Wentz would be the first guy to tell you they aren't emo. They started as a pop-punk outfit and evolved into the pop band they are now but yeah, no emo there.

nowarning

Awesome, love This Couch is Long & Full of Friendship.

Just bought the Free Throw LP, slept on them for a while but it's so good, it's on Spotify if anyone fancies a listen.

cwmartin

2. Goodness Pt. 2
3. Piano Player
5. Two Deliverances
6. Settle The Scar
9. Soft Animal
10. Sun
11. You In This Light
12. Fear Of Good
13. End Of Reel

Caught them on their last tour and they played Sun live. Unfortunately to say, it was a pretty bad song. I love Home, but that song was really bad and had a pretty bad vibe for the show. I'm hoping the rest of the album is flawless to make up for it.

We need to get a working list of all releases this year. We have a lot of them already.

This is a good idea.

I also had a thought that an EmoGaf playlist that people could add new releases to or just shit that they're into at the moment might be sweet. Not sure on the ideal platform or logistics of this but it's a cool idea I think.

This is a good idea.

I also had a thought that an EmoGaf playlist that people could add new releases to or just shit that they're into at the moment might be sweet. Not sure on the ideal platform or logistics of this but it's a cool idea I think.

I can start making a list for upcoming releases and post it this week.

I can't make a playlist since I don't have spotify or Last.fm anymore. I think one of those would be the better way to go if we want to make a playlist though

kiguel182

I like the idea of an EmoGaf playlist. There's tons of stuff here that get posted that get lost and it would make it easier to listen to.

I'm no longer subscribed to Spotify (rocking Apple Music now) but since the base service is free anyway I say that's the best way to do it. I'm not sure how editing playlists go and if we can allow for different people to do it.

Kawl_USC

Didn't know it was split into songs written by each guy A side/B side style. That's interesting and curious to see if one writer resonates more with me/most fans.

Liked both of those. Apple cider probably a bit more on first listen though.

Oh they also just announced a tour with Joyce manor. Dude up above who hadn't seen them see if they come nearby!

Okay I'm going to start putting together a public Spotify playlist. I'll look back through the pages of this thread and include songs/bands people have been posting.

If anybody has any specific requests shoot me a pm or post in this thread.

Also I can make other Spotify users a collaborator meaning they can freely add to the playlist as well. If anybody is interested in that let me know.

kiguel182

So, Jesse Lacey covered R.E.M. and it's pretty great: http://www.thefader.com/2016/03/03/jesse-lacey-bad-day-rem-cover

Okay I'm going to start putting together a public Spotify playlist. I'll look back through the pages of this thread and include songs/bands people have been posting.

Also I can make other Spotify users a collaborator meaning they can freely add to the playlist as well. If anybody is interested in that let me know.

Even if I don't subscribe do Spotify I would be up for being a collaborator since I could add stuff with the free version. I'm signed up with Facebook so I have no idea how to add other users.

Sounds great. I'd be up for adding to the playlist, although I just got a Spotify account days ago and don't really know how to use it yet :B

Man, I wish more bands would tour in upstate NY and not just the city. But having Joyce Manor headlining for MoBo totally makes the trip worth it. Their self-titled album is fantastic, I can only imagine dancing around to Constant Headache live.

olympia

Okay I don't know if this will work but if you click this link it should lead to a playlist that is open for anybody to add to:

https://open.spotify.com/user/ethan.ruddock/playlist/17XpfAVCf5VxAHJxsLRwPp

I got it started with a few recommendations from the thread and a few of my favourites. Hopefully it works

This is awesome, thanks for doing this.

Here's a list of tour dates for Modern Baseball/Joyce Manor/Thin Lips. Sorry if it's been posted already

12779259_1088718041159638_7566030324802771592_o.jpg

Also a reminder that the Saetia release from Secret Voice is dropping this month if anyone is interested in that.

Pacbois

Went to see Basement and Tigers Jaw on the last date of their EU tour last night in Paris, such a good show. Screaming my lungs out on Covet was so cathartic, I'm still sore. Also I felt obligated to grab the Basement tour shirt because it's so cool.

Pacbois

Also who I have to beg to get a MoBo show in Paris, like they're touring europe with PUP, 5 UK shows, 3 in Germany but nothing in Paris, come on.

At least we're getting The Hotelier and Jeff Rosenstock pretty soon.

kiguel182

The new Modern Baseball songs are great, especially "Apple Cider, I don't mind". It seems like they might top their last record.

But, to be fair, none have the impact of "Your Graduation". Can't wait to hear more.

Kawl_USC

New Friends > Old Friends.

EDIT: Also, that Turnover record is so good.

We'll have to agree to disagree there.

"I should call my parents when I think of them, I should tell my friends when I love them" is such a good line.

You are right on Turnover though. Solid album top to bottom. My favorite song by them is actually Disintegration, though that probably says more about me than I'm comfortable.

Also who I have to beg to get a MoBo show in Paris, like they're touring europe with PUP, 5 UK shows, 3 in Germany but nothing in Paris, come on.

At least we're getting The Hotelier and Jeff Rosenstock pretty soon.

In the same show? Cause that would top the Mobo and Rosenstock show I went to even.

Just so you guys know, if you add to the playlist I'm pretty sure it will show your real name on the track list, or whatever name is associated with your Spotify account.

kris.

Banned
Here's a list of tour dates for Modern Baseball/Joyce Manor/Thin Lips. Sorry if it's been posted already

hoooo shit i will for sure be at that Lawrence stop. still haven't gotten to see Joyce Manor yet which sucks because their debut is one of my favorite things ever

Went to see Basement and Tigers Jaw on the last date of their EU tour last night in Paris, such a good show. Screaming my lungs out on Covet was so cathartic, I'm still sore. Also I felt obligated to grab the Basement tour shirt because it's so cool.

I love Archie Comics so much for whatever reason thus making this shirt amazing to me hahah. Glad you had fun at the show :D

I'll have to throw my two cents into that playlist if Spotify ever decides to load.

Top Bottom