• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

It doesn't really fall under the emo term, but I just gotta do another shout out to Osker. For people who don't know them: they were a short lived punk rock band which were labelled as 'the most hated act on Epitaph'. Devon Williams really was a character, but damn, the band was awesome. Man, even after all these years, Idle Will Kill is still one of my favorite albums of all time. Got to know them back in 2005 or so, 3 years after they've broken up, and it's such a shame to this day.

Idle Will Kill is just a perfect album in it's genre, and while it's not really a classical emo album, lyrics wise I always thought it borrowed heavily into the genre, especially after the totally different Treatment 5, which featured track titles like 'fuck me', 'asshole' and 'shitface', but even that album was pretty damn solid, although I always preferred Idle Will Kill. It's perfect in every sense.

If you've never heard of them before, go check them out. I think a lot of the guys here in this topic should also appreciate them.

You can find the entire album on Youtube, but here a couple of standout tracks to get you warmed up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkF283Sy0Lc

Goddamn, it gets so hard
not knowing what's going on.
And all the while I carry your cross.
Who owns these desires?
You haven't said a word but I understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbFruTcQtwg

Every time I hear your name,
it bears an uncanny resemblance to defeat.
I never want to touch base,
because it's hard to face the things we've been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abDsIET8igU

Watch your expectations crumble.
I hear the things are the same things you never,
never knew you never wanted.
I take those things with me to sleep.

Seriously, check them out.

Grab the wrists, pull away
I don't wanna die today
And so I won't

Best song

Osker is gooood dude! I remember after my pop-punk phase I transitioned to punk more and I love Osker. Need to get Idle Will Kill on vinyl soon. Thanks for the reminder!

So anyone who likes Touche Amore? I just got in a variant of Is Survived By that I didn't have yet and it comes with a download code but I already have this album digitally and multiple physical editions lol the code is only a one time use though.

I know they aren't emo but this is probably the only community on gaf where people would like them. So if interested post your favorite album art from any genre. I will choose a winner in like 6 or 7 hours? The code should work but it possibly could be expired. Just letting people know ahead of time

kiguel182

I like "Is Survived By", is the only record of theirs I've listened.

It's on Apple Music and I'm all in on streaming so I won't take the code away from someone who might need it more.

I like "Is Survived By", is the only record of theirs I've listened.

It's on Apple Music and I'm all in on streaming so I won't take the code away from someone who might need it more.

I would listen to, Parting the Sea as well. You would probably also like most of their songs from their 7"s as well. Their first album though, To Beat a Dead Horse, strictly sticks to keeping the songs a minute or less pretty much and that can be off putting for a lot of people.

Kawl_USC

So anyone who likes Touche Amore? I just got in a variant of Is Survived By that I didn't have yet and it comes with a download code but I already have this album digitally and multiple physical editions lol the code is only a one time use though.

I know they aren't emo but this is probably the only community on gaf where people would like them. So if interested post your favorite album art from any genre. I will choose a winner in like 6 or 7 hours? The code should work but it possibly could be expired. Just letting people know ahead of time

Their songs come off as a bit hit or miss for me from the ones you added to the spotify list. Some I really like and some not so much, though that might just depend on my mood when listening to the playlist since there's a pretty wide berth of sounds on there.

Their songs come off as a bit hit or miss for me from the ones you added to the spotify list. Some I really like and some not so much, though that might just depend on my mood when listening to the playlist since there's a pretty wide berth of sounds on there.

Shit.. I keep on meaning to make that other list too lol

Honestly they probably shouldn't even be on that list though. They aren't very emo. You could make a vague attempt at calling them screamo. I just thought they could have enough crossover. Which songs do you like from the ones I posted?

Lender

Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me is such an amazing album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hYma6NVoIo

I can't keep having the same conversations
I look to the floor to keep concentration
focused hard on every single word
my nails are dug deep and my stomach hurts
I am selfish it seems, but I'm trying my best to breathe
hoping you don't notice as I keep laughing

If anyone else likes this band and wants to listen to something similar: La Dispute. Especially Wildlife. One of the GOAT albums for myself.

Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me is such an amazing album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hYma6NVoIo

I can't keep having the same conversations
I look to the floor to keep concentration
focused hard on every single word
my nails are dug deep and my stomach hurts
I am selfish it seems, but I'm trying my best to breathe
hoping you don't notice as I keep laughing

If anyone else likes this band and wants to listen to something similar: La Dispute. Especially Wildlife. One of the GOAT albums for myself.

Well if we're talking hardcore

Defeater are best

Great taste the two of ya.

I prefer Is Survived By to Parting the Sea but both are stellar albums and yeah Wildlife is fucking incredible... King Park.... woooh

And yeah Defeater is great! I like Touche more but you can't go wrong with Defeater

olympia

which variant is it? the v-day one?

parting the sea is my fave, but all of them are good. i also like hesitation wounds

CeF7cUIWwAA2tq2

I hate seeing posters for fuckin GREAT shows on the other side of the god damn continent.

AND it's for cancer research which makes it even better!

Come to British Columbia you bastards.

kiguel182

I hate seeing posters for fuckin sick shows on the other side of the god damn continent.

AND it's for cancer research which makes it even better!

Come to British Columbia you bastards.

Welcome to my live, buddy.

Also, I don't know any of those bands so I have some listening to do!

kiguel182

So, there are two Sports band on Apple Music.

Currently listening to an album called Demon Daze that I'm really enjoying, great stuff and it's emo for sure.

But there's a second one that is apparently pretty good too. Which Sports band is that billboard referring to?

So, there are two Sports band on Apple Music.

Currently listening to an album called Demon Daze that I'm really enjoying, great stuff and it's emo for sure.

But there's a second one that is apparently pretty good too. Which Sports band is that billboard referring to?

It's the one you're listening to.

imBask

Banned
hey, MultiJhonny dragged me here, definitely one of my favorite genre! here's a quick list of bands i've been into lately

You Blew It
Modern Baseball
La Dispute
Real Friends
Misser

hey, MultiJhonny dragged me here, definitely one of my favorite genre! here's a quick list of bands i've been into lately

You Blew It
Modern Baseball
La Dispute
Real Friends
Misser

Welcome Imbask! Good list of bands there. La Dispute is a favorite of mine!

You Blew It
Modern Baseball
La Dispute
Real Friends
Misser

First 3 on your list are fuckin ace.

You Blew it and Modern Baseball both have new records coming out this year as well.

imBask

Banned
First 3 on your list are fuckin ace.

You Blew it and Modern Baseball both have new records coming out this year as well.

i'm a little worried for the new Modern Baseball album though, not an easy task to top the last one. The small EP You Blew It released not so long ago was great though

kiguel182

That Wrecking Ball lineup is insane.

Also, it sucks that Apple Music doesn't show an uncensored version of the Hotelier record. At least it should be an option instead of the ugly censoring.

The new song is weird and will probably be a grower. Not love at first sight like Goodness Part 2.

Kawl_USC

That Wrecking Ball lineup is insane.

Also, it sucks that Apple Music doesn't show an uncensored version of the Hotelier record. At least it should be an option instead of the ugly censoring.

The new song is weird and will probably be a grower. Not love at first sight like Goodness Part 2.

Agreed I'm a softer sell on the new song than I expected to be. Still hugely optimistic about the album though.

Kawl_USC

Damn, I've got a vacation already planned for the weekend before that. Don't think I can afford more time off in August. A bummer to miss a stacked line up like that.

Top Bottom