• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

I was right near the front for The Ergs, nearly died (I might have asthma or something I dunno) and have bailed and am now sitting near the back lol

Still sounds amazing and I got a great view of the stage

Plus they're playing High Dive tomorrow so fuck it that'll be INSANE

That's not asthma, that's called Florida. I was smashed up there, too, and started feeling it. And I grew up in this mosquito nest of a state.

Remember when I told you I wasn't sure if Ergs could come in and top Latterman's set because of how good they were? I was dead wrong. Minutemen and ZZ Top covers!!!

not emo but i dont care
propagandhi were so fucking gooooooood

YES. They're playing again today so it might make my lineup Dead to Me into Iron Chic, a little bit of Digger and then straight to Propagandhi.

I might have to miss the second Ergs show.

During Ergs, some guy said something to me in Portugese and then pointed to his shoe, so I got down and boosted him up to crowd surf. About 3/4 of the way up, I realized no one else was helping me. He eventually got there but now I want to find him and ask if he REALLY thought, "That guy is in his early 30s and looks like he plays video games in most of his spare time, he'll be perfect for this."

That's not asthma, that's called Florida. I was smashed up there, too, and started feeling it. And I grew up in this mosquito nest of a state.

Remember when I told you I wasn't sure if Ergs could come in and top Latterman's set because of how good they were? I was dead wrong. Minutemen and ZZ Top covers!!!

YES. They're playing again today so it might make my lineup Dead to Me into Iron Chic, a little bit of Digger and then straight to Propagandhi.

I might have to miss the second Ergs show.

During Ergs, some guy said something to me in Portugese and then pointed to his shoe, so I got down and boosted him up to crowd surf. About 3/4 of the way up, I realized no one else was helping me. He eventually got there but now I want to find him and ask if he REALLY thought, "That guy is in his early 30s and looks like he plays video games in most of his spare time, he'll be perfect for this."
I take it you didn't make it to Iron Chic at Loosey's then

Also

GUESS WHO'S IN HIGH DIVE RIGHT NOW AW YEAH

With the asthma thing, it's not just here, I get it if I sing too hard generally. Head starts hurting, breathing gets harder. Should probably visit the doctor when I get home.

PillarEN

LOL, Indian Summer is so good.

What's the general consensus on new American Football? I heard 2 tracks they put out before the album but didn't really like them so I haven't bothered with the LP.

After letting it marinate over the day, I like it, but it's not close to LP1. LP2 isn't special, it's a solid effort though that I think has its moments. Most of the time it's just good tunes, not special tunes.

Know what one of my favourite things about Fest that you just wouldn't get at other feativals is the fact that I just finished watching The Copyrights, went to the bar in the beer garden and saw maybe 10 people from other bands just hanging out. The people in bands are just the same as anyone else, punks who have come to Gainesville to have a good time, hang out with friends and make new ones.

I fucking love Fest

I fucking love the punk community

yes dude omg haha
Right?!

Double post idgaf

UnDR4drl.jpg

Rosenstock was amazing

Double post idgaf

UnDR4drl.jpg

Rosenstock was amazing

Similar set to the other night when I saw him. Kicked much ass. Got to see the Bang on the Door -> Rainbow -> Planet Luxury whirlwind twice!

Also, Propagandhi twice. D4 for the lovers. I'm not worthy.

RVIVR just brought the fucking house. I expected a good show but I had no idea.

myco666

Hey emo gaf! I was told that you talk about all kinds of punk here instead of just emo. Is it okay for me to come here to talk about bands like Trapped Under Ice, Tragedy and Nasty? Also while I am not a big fan of emo music (not that I would have listened that much of the genre) feel free to recommend me some stuff. Always looking to expand my music collection. For reference only emo band I have liked a lot is Gray Matter if that can be considered emo.

Hey emo gaf! I was told that you talk about all kinds of punk here instead of just emo. Is it okay for me to come here to talk about bands like Trapped Under Ice, Tragedy and Nasty? Also while I am not a big fan of emo music (not that I would have listened that much of the genre) feel free to recommend me some stuff. Always looking to expand my music collection. For reference only emo band I have liked a lot is Gray Matter if that can be considered emo.

I haven't listened to Trapped Under Ice in a long time. Good shit.

Welcome! Since it seems like you are more on the hardcore and heavier side starting with screamo would be a good way to break in.

Suis La Lune and The Saddest Landscape would be a starting point as well as maybe Malisa Bahat (you can find them on bandcamp) https://malisabahat.bandcamp.com/

Also Saetia.

For more traditional emo maybe go with The Hotelier, Touche Amore, and Marietta

If none of that is up your alley no worries plenty more bands to go through

kiguel182

I mean, you can talk about whatever you want but I'd say emo music is the main focus of this thread even if we do talk about stuff adjacent to it.

By adjacent I mean they tour together or have something in common or something.

I don't want to police the thread and if people want to talk about other stuff it's cool but I would say being in this thread and not liking emo music is weird.

That said, I would recommend Hotelier, Modern Baseball, Camp Cope and Microwave if you want some good 2016 emo records.

EDIT: MJ is much better than I am at recommending more heavier stuff than I am for sure. Touche Amore is a good pick.

myco666

I haven't listened to Trapped Under Ice in a long time. Good shit.

Welcome! Since it seems like you are more on the hardcore and heavier side starting with screamo would be a good way to break in.

Suis La Lune and The Saddest Landscape would be a starting point as well as maybe Malisa Bahat (you can find them on bandcamp) https://malisabahat.bandcamp.com/

Also Saetia.

For more traditional emo maybe go with The Hotelier, Touche Amore, and Marietta

If none of that is up your alley no worries plenty more bands to go through

Thanks for the recommendations. Will check these out and yeah my music tastes lean heavily towards heavier side of punk but I still do enjoy stuff like H2O, NOFX and Rancid.

I mean, you can talk about whatever you want but I'd say emo music is the main focus of this thread even if we do talk about stuff adjacent to it.

By adjacent I mean they tour together or have something in common or something.

I don't want to police the thread and if people want to talk about other stuff it's cool but I would say being in this thread and not liking emo music is weird.

That said, I would recommend Hotelier, Modern Baseball, Camp Cope and Microwave if you want some good 2016 emo records.

EDIT: MJ is much better than I am at recommending more heavier stuff than I am for sure. Touche Amore is a good pick.

I do understand that this is a thread for mainly emo music and that it should be the main focus. It is just that the Punk OT is more dead than punk itself.

Also why I say that I don't really care for emo music is that I still have that idea from like ten years ago that emo music is just My Chemical Romance, Panic at the Disco etc. But now you are recommending me Touche Amore which is a band that I actually have liked for a long time and had no idea it is considered emo.

I am really bad at telling what bands are what genre and mostly just say that everything is hardcore lol.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
When I was a teen we'd get called emo for liking Panic at the Disco, which I never got cause they were a bit weird but in no way emo imo. Then again we did also listen to MCR and whatnot, plus I had long hair and skateboarded so anyone outside of that often just called us all emos 'cause people are like that.

This is a really good post for setting yourself up on getting into some emo. I say pick a band from each subgenre, give them a spin, and see where you land in the spectrum.

I tend toward Midwest, myself. Gimme that sadness.

And ugh, I'm depleted right now. Post-Fest blues are setting in badly. Extending warm wishes to Robot on the journey home but also a single shouted "fuck you" for getting into Iron Chic at Loosey's. I saw a picture on Instagram that someone took of the line for the show from a roof. It even caught the corner that the crowd wrapped around. Nuts.

compo

Banned
I go through bouts of listening to emo music. The past few years, I've always gotten a hankering for emo music around fall time, when it starts getting cold and cloudy outside. I guess I've been listening to Midwestern revival for the past few years, at least according to the linked post before me. My favorite thing to listen to is Empire Empire's "Home After Three Months Away" EP.

Once the sun and heat comes back, though, I usually go back to listening to shoegaze and more popish music.

Yo Gray Matter are rad

And ugh, I'm depleted right now. Post-Fest blues are setting in badly. Extending warm wishes to Robot on the journey home but also a single shouted "fuck you" for getting into Iron Chic at Loosey's. I saw a picture on Instagram that someone took of the line for the show from a roof. It even caught the corner that the crowd wrapped around. Nuts.
jTjkTDuh.jpg

Shit was insane yo. I started queuing like half an hour before Somnia were due to play and still only managed to get in a couple of songs into Iron Chic's set

I'm back home now, trip went super smoothly. Was good to meet you! You get the prestigious award of being the first GAFer I've met irl

myco666

Checked out all those bands you guys recommended and the heavier stuff is straight up my alley. Especially that Malisa Bahat. Really good stuff and while the lighter stuff isn't exactly what I tend to listen most of the time is still pretty good. The Hotelier sounds pretty good after listening couple of tracks from their newest album.

This is a really good post for setting yourself up on getting into some emo. I say pick a band from each subgenre, give them a spin, and see where you land in the spectrum.

I tend toward Midwest, myself. Gimme that sadness.

That is a really good post. Thanks. Need to go through those too. Probably going to most like Screamo and Emoviolence (didn't even know this was a thing). Actually recognized Orchid from there and I used to listen that back in the day.

Yo Gray Matter are rad

I still need to get Food for Thought and Thog from somewhere but Take It Back is easily one of my favorite records I own.

Checked out all those bands you guys recommended and the heavier stuff is straight up my alley. Especially that Malisa Bahat. Really good stuff and while the lighter stuff isn't exactly what I tend to listen most of the time is still pretty good. The Hotelier sounds pretty good after listening couple of tracks from their newest album.

I am really happy you liked Malisa Bahat the most. They are really small time and I found them randomly on bandcamp one day and fell in love.

Give Crooks a go. I recommend them to everyone. Start off with Nevermore then go to their album Are We All the Same Distance Apart

I pre ordered the new You Blew It LP, first record I've bought in a while. Listening to Keep Doing What You're Doing right now. What a fucking gem.

kris.

Banned
so i was gonna drive to STL to see rosenstock this weekend and now i'm broke and can't go

feels real bad, man

Hey emo gaf! I was told that you talk about all kinds of punk here instead of just emo. Is it okay for me to come here to talk about bands like Trapped Under Ice, Tragedy and Nasty?

MY MAN
HARDCOREGAF LIVES
if you fuck with screamo and emoviolence, i can give you some weird obscure recs that barely get talked about.

also everyone listen to more powerviolence

for your health

olympia

i saw TUI on their comeback tour at gilman a while back and they kicked ass

MY MAN
HARDCOREGAF LIVES
if you fuck with screamo and emoviolence, i can give you some weird obscure recs that barely get talked about.

post em

olympia

That's a good post kris. I love ampere. The split they did with raein was sick nasty

That jerome's dream orchid split will be mine some day

Yeah off minor owns. I like both of the ex-saetia projects

Mozendo

Mesa Verde, Off Minor, and Yaphet Kotto are some my favorite bands, Off Minor is easily within my Top 5 and The OId Road is definitely one of the best albums within the genre.
Also to the people who don't know Jamie had two blogspots for Saetia and Off Minor worth checking out.
http://ruiningsaetia.blogspot.com/
http://theannotatedoffminor.blogspot.com/

Not sure if these bands have been posted since I'm not going to dig through 40+ pages
...Who Calls So Loud - Self Titled EP
I Spoke - Autobiography
Alessa - Split with Parrhesia
Kid Crash - Jokes Life Was Real. Vital. Urgent. Important/Bum Guts is an amazing song

Hardcore stuff but you guys will probably like this as well
Low Places - Self Titled
Last Lights - No Past No Present No Future

myco666

Oh god the amount of these recommendations. My brain is about to explode. Still haven't even gone properly through albums I bought last week damnit. Long weekend ahead.

MY MAN
HARDCOREGAF LIVES

also everyone listen to more powerviolence

for your health

Still screaming out and kicking in the air. Hardcore is life.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I've been giving Versace Summer some more time after not being as immediately blown away as I was with Jank's first album.

Actually think I nearly prefer it...

Top Bottom