• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

Sure some songs use acoustic instruments but they are far from ballads and far from using acoustic instruments consistently.

Emocore began in the mid-80's as an emotionally charged and politically progressive form of hardcore punk, centered in Washington, DC, as a response to the machismo of the larger hardcore scene. It's short for emotive hardcore. These bands are often tagged "harDCore" or "Revolution Summer" bands, and include artists such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, and Fuel. Later on, the "emocore" label was attached to bands such as Lifetime, Hot Water Music, and Jawbreaker.

As time went on, Emo bands started to experiment more with loud/soft dynamics, intricate melodies, heavy build-ups, and twinkly guitar work. At the core of these bands lied a commitment to the DIY ethic and an embrace of sincerity. This is the most pure distillation of "emo," although far from the only iteration. A few of these bands would be Moss Icon, Native Nod, Navio Forge, Indian Summer, and Still Life. There was also a small subset of bands, mostly in San Diego and later Berkeley, who made the sound more frenzied and fractured, typified by artists who frequented the Che Cafe and Gilman Street, such as Heroin, Antioch Arrow, Portraits of Past, Clikitat Ikatowi, and John Henry West.

Midwest Emo is a style of indie rock that takes from the song structure (and occasionally vocal style) of the previous emo bands, but imbues it with pop sensibilities and a more gentle touch. The artists are sometimes referred to as "post-emo indie rock," "indiemo," or "twinkledaddies" because of the twinkly sound of the guitars. Cap'n Jazz is usually cited as the original midwest emo band. Other notables include Sunny Day Real Estate, American Football, Pedro the Lion, and Mineral.

Screamo is an aggressive offshoot of Emo characterized by yelled or screamed vocals and dissonant, twinkly guitar work. Screamo bands usually shy away from conventional song structures and often play around with loud/soft dynamics. Because screamo is often used as a catch all term for all genres with unclean vocals, many screamo fans often refer to true screamo as skramz. Saetia, William Bonney, L'Antietam, I Have Dreams, and the Kidcrash are a few examples of screamo bands. There are also screamo bands that experiment with post-rock and progressive rock tendencies, such as Gospel, Circle Takes the Square, and City of Caterpillar.

Emoviolence, a portmanteau of emo and powerviolence, is a fusion genre of screamo/emo with powerviolence. Orchid, pageninetynine, In/Humanity, Palatka, and Usurp Synapse are a few notable examples.

Emo Pop sprouted from the crossover of pop-punk and Midwest emo bands, but also includes pop-punk bands with a heavy emocore influence. Artists range from the Get-Up Kids and the Promise Ring, to Taking Back Sunday and Brand New, to even the early work of Fall Out Boy.

Recently, there has been a renewed interest in emo, especially midwest emo. These bands are heavily influenced by Cap'n Jazz and often have a strong bent towards math rock and post-rock in their song structure and guitar work. A few examples of these emo revival bands are Street Smart Cyclist, Snowing, Algernon Cadwallader, The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die, and Glocca Morra.
There is even an emo pop revival scene centered around indie rock bands with mildly intricate guitar work and deeply personal, confessional lyrics. These bands include Modern Baseball, Sorority Noise, and the Front Bottoms.

The following are examples bands are NOT EMO but are very influential or popular within the scene: The Cure, the Smiths, Fugazi, Slint, Nation of Ulysses, Drive Like Jehu, Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, and Pinegrove.

kiguel182

Midwest emo and pop emo is where is at! Anything else should be banned from this thread, banned I say!

Also, I'm saying Pinegrove is emo since they have been touring with emo bands. Emo by proxy is a thing I'm making up and no one can tell me I'm wrong.

I also haven't listened to the new American Football. I'm a poser.

kiguel182

As a side note, this thread is pretty liberal when it comes to what is discussed and we frequently mention stuff that is more punk or alternative than just emo but it's like if you like emo you are bound to like that stuff.

That is to say, this is actually a Jeff Rosenstock appreciation thread in disguise.

olympia

Midwest emo and pop emo is where is at! Anything else should be banned from this thread, banned I say!

doLUHpJm.jpg

skramz stays in the family

also i wasn't laughing at that dude, i was laughing mostly at the hilariously varied perception of emo

olympia

you got too sassy

i was only trying to *defend emo* but apparently i don't know what real emo is

also how the fuck did this fly under my radar. i have a feeling someone in this thread mentioned it and i fucked up. this rips

https://dogknightsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/dk093-suis-la-lune-shirokuma-12-lp

i haven't been to a show at gilman for a while and it's bumming me out. it really blows that they closed the pyramid brewery across the street

oh btw super unison and dangers at 1234 was great. dangers man...they are so good

i was only trying to *defend emo* but apparently i don't know what real emo is

also how the fuck did this fly under my radar. i have a feeling someone in this thread mentioned it and i fucked up. this rips

https://dogknightsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/dk093-suis-la-lune-shirokuma-12-lp
It was me!
Actually in typing this I just discovered three!! good new albums that came out in the past couple months that I hadn't heard yet. So maybe things aren't so bad.

For Everest - We Are at Home in the Body
Suis La Lune / Shirokuma - Split
Sport (France) - Slow
Y'all should pay attention to the screamo scene in Sweden. There's a ton of great bands. For starters check out the list of bands playing Miss the Stars in Berlin next year.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yeah there's a lot of artists who I don't consider strictly Emo but who are part of the scene by proxy sort of. Like PUP.

Yeah I was gonna also use PUP as an example of something more punky we often praise in here that might not necessarily be emo.

I didn't know I was into emo until I found this thread, I'd been listening to a bunch of bands and then saw an emo thread and was curious as to what that meant, hell back in my teen years emo to us meant black hair, eyeliner, songs about cutting yourself and looking sad a lot. Wasn't ever into that stuff myself, I was always a pop-punk kinda guy. I came in here only to find a thread of people discussing bands I like. Now it's like my main source of new artists.

Though I still lean more to the punky/heavier stuff myself but it keeps me coming back.

kiguel182

So, I've been thinking of taking a trip to Paris to catch Wonder Years + Tiny Moving Parts but The Hotelier just announced that they are going to Berlin the same time. I have friends in both places so I could in theory go to one or the other (assuming I have money).

Ugh, decisions! The double bill might be better although I never visited Berlin so there's that.

EDIT: also, JEW were on Kimmell. Cool performance and they are keeping emo on TV I guess.

AW SHIT SON

FUCK I'M SO PUMPED I JUST CHECKED INTO MY PRE-FEST HOTEL AAAHHHHHHHH

I'll just have to look around for Latterman's #1 superfan during their set and I'll find you. Simple.

--------

So, while we're discussing what is and isn't emo, how do you feel about Jets to Brazil?

Jawbreaker is a pretty easy one to call, particularly when drawing a line from Rites of Spring to the late 90s... but JTB is harder to pin down with the tag, I feel. But indie rock seems like a misnomer.

I'll just have to look around for Latterman's #1 superfan during their set and I'll find you. Simple.

Lol

There are enough photos of me on here for you to recognise me with

I will be incredibly awkward though just a warning

fest folk u all better take some gotdang pictures and share them with me so i can live vicariously through u

Me too me too! (ya lucky jerks)

Like this one of Microwave?

rNx6D94l.jpg

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Carrying on my quest to finally actually listen to some more bands you lot are always bangin' on about I've been checking out Joyce Manor's latest album, some great stuff.

Tempted by Hotelier, means another trip to Leeds for a gig in January but at least this one's on a Friday.

I don't have a gig currently until Wonder Years/PUP/TMP at the end of January, tempted by Front Bottoms next month up here but I'm still a bit hit and miss on them... I should probably finally go see Modern Baseball in January too...

Sucks that I'll have to miss Microwave. Were they good?

Also, I'm just going to beat the dead Fest horse because I'm hyped and at least some people are excited about it, so...

Madball announced a short Florida tour. They're playing Jacksonville on the 27th and Orlando on the 29th... and there's a little city situated between those two... and there's a MYSTERY BAND that will be following Toys That Kill as the headliner on the 28th...

------

Okay, the Ergs release a sequel to their B-sides album. Hindsight is 20/20 Vol 2: https://theergs.bandcamp.com/album/hindsight-is-20-20-my-friend-vol-2-ok-enough-reminiscing

I swear I'm an emo fan. You guys are just too quick on the hot picks so I get stuck posting punk rock scraps that I think you'll like. I repent and will say 5 Hail Mary's while listening to Endserenading.

kris.

Banned
Okay, the Ergs release a sequel to their B-sides album. Hindsight is 20/20 Vol 2: https://theergs.bandcamp.com/album/hindsight-is-20-20-my-friend-vol-2-ok-enough-reminiscing

I swear I'm an emo fan. You guys are just too quick on the hot picks so I get stuck posting punk rock scraps that I think you'll like. I repent and will say 5 Hail Mary's while listening to Endserenading.

no no no keep doing this because otherwise i would have never had any idea.

confession: i like punk shit more than i like emo shit

Yeah they were pretty good, no Iron Chic though

That said

Iron Chic are also playing Loosey's

Check the Fest Facebook page

same lol

Ahh. A few early shows that I will definitely not be going to because of Latterman. Late Iron Chic sounds nuts, considering they're playing at like 1PM the next day.

How bad have the Pre-Fest lines been? I have no idea what to expect in terms of how early I need to camp out for these major ones.

If I miss D4
hrAAcPu.jpg

Oh, forgot to hype hype hype... I'm going to see Hard Girls / Rosenstock tonight!

Ahh. A few early shows that I will definitely not be going to because of Latterman. Late Iron Chic sounds nuts, considering they're playing at like 1PM the next day.

How bad have the Pre-Fest lines been? I have no idea what to expect in terms of how early I need to camp out for these major ones.

If I miss D4
hrAAcPu.jpg

Oh, forgot to hype hype hype... I'm going to see Hard Girls / Rosenstock tonight!
Queues have been fine. D4 are playing Bo Diddley right? That shouldn't be a problem. Iron Chic at Loosey's you'll want to be at very early though.

kris.

Banned
ugh a friend of mine just sent me a snap of captain we're sinking and i'm pisst as all hell

damn you all and your dumb fest and my poorness

olympia

this sounds real good, have fun

also i realized that ron english painted that korn cover, which explains why it's pretty skillfully done yet so trashy hahaha

need to share this

It was me!

Y'all should pay attention to the screamo scene in Sweden. There's a ton of great bands. For starters check out the list of bands playing Miss the Stars in Berlin next year.

darn dude. your posts are real good and i need to pay attention

ugh a friend of mine just sent me a snap of captain we're sinking and i'm pisst as all hell

damn you all and your dumb fest and my poorness
You mean like this?

cwlPwYnl.jpg

Also lmao Pennywise are playing here tonight entirely separately, which is basically the lamest thing for a punk band while Fest is happening

Kawl_USC

New rosenstock is legit. I did something weird last night is awesome.

Two of the bartenders from happy hour were dudes going to the Jeff show and the pinegrove/Julian/Devine show. Cool night.

I just realized how odd it is having TMP and TA on a tour together.

like obviously there is crossover but TMP is so happy go lucky and it shows in their songs and TA have crushingly emotional songs. Going in happy leaving sad as fuck

olympia

like obviously there is crossover but TMP is so happy go lucky and it shows in their songs and TA have crushingly emotional songs. Going in happy leaving sad as fuck

I wouldn't describe Joyce as happy go lucky but there was the similar type of vibe when they were touring with TA last year

Rosenstock was a force, naturally. Guitar went into the crowd so I banged on it with zero musical talent. The guys from Pup were in the crowd because they're playing here tomorrow. This is all not Fest related, so it was pretty random. I watched a guy flat fall in love with a girl in the middle of a song. His eyes could see their children and the mortgage and the pension. It was sad but I have like a decade on these kids and what the brings and whiskey and beers over the night. The touring guitarist for Rosenstock's band is 1/3 of Hard Girls, which leads me to...

Hard Girls are the best fucking band, holy shit.

Apologies, I Have None went on tour with them a few years back before Dan left and they became super sad

That was a weird mix

90 glorious minutes! I'm down here and about to try to hoof it to Bo Diddley. Uh, late start getting here....

I asked our boy Jeff about the Minor Threat set and he gave me three songs to throw out there. I told him "I don't wanna hear it" is the one song I would choose to broadcast to the globe. And then threatened to start a Kickstarter to do so. He said they're playing it, so you're welcome.

Here's a pic of last night:

rR2Fb7n.jpg

PillarEN

Trying to act like you didn't preorder the vinyl of their newest one called (no joke) "The Serenity of Suffering" with this totally bitching cover art:

This is a joke. ICP level of crap. The kid is one of the band member's son I hope.

Listening to the new American Football right now.

I was right near the front for The Ergs, nearly died (I might have asthma or something I dunno) and have bailed and am now sitting near the back lol

Still sounds amazing and I got a great view of the stage

Plus they're playing High Dive tomorrow so fuck it that'll be INSANE

Top Bottom