• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Seems more info developing on the Stein's;Gate official localization front, and a Steam release seems like a real possibility after all.

http://e17time.blogspot.com/

Will buy twice on day one. One for myself, and one to force down the throat of a bro.

Also, if N+ is planning to get involved, time to right some wrongs. Steamworks, raise the res, fix those bugs.

Lain

Oh my. The comments section in the latest blog posts are full of incredibly vulgar users. I haven't been keeping up with this translation group, but I don't really understand where these people are coming from.

Some of the comments are just... depressing. Those people aren't fans, not of the VN genre, not of the companies producing the games.
But fuck them. I'm excited that this game could really be coming out officially in the west.

upandaway

Sounds good, I'll buy it too. I just hope it actually does happen because it could just as easily fall flat from this situation.

creid

Oh my. The comments section in the latest blog posts are full of incredibly vulgar users. I haven't been keeping up with this translation group, but I don't really understand where these people are coming from.
Sounds like people that are sour that JAST supposedly licensed Chaos;Head, interrupting the fan translation, and then never released it.

hamchan

Sounds good, I'll buy it too. I just hope it actually does happen because it could just as easily fall flat from this situation.

Steam seems to have weird factors in how they reject things. Like how Gemini Rue was rejected for the longest time then accepted, and Steam never said the reason why.

VNs are so niche that a release on Steam could be really significant for increasing the audience for these games in the west. Of course anything adult related wouldn't be possible, and things like licensing the voice acting would still be a problem.

Danj

Omg omg, I'm halfway through the game but I'll buy it for full price and play through it again if it makes it on Steam. It's the perfect VN for a Steam release and it would be a big boon for more English localization.

Holy shit VNs on Steam? When did we get to bizarro world? Also, bought day 1.

I just bought Steins;Gate on iOS, and patched it. It seems to work just fine, and all the stuff is translated to English, except I somehow lost the voice acting after I copied the files over, so now I'm trying to iron out the kinks. I also don't understand how the saving system works. I can't seem to save for the life of me.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I just bought Steins;Gate on iOS, and patched it. It seems to work just fine, and all the stuff is translated to English, except I somehow lost the voice acting after I copied the files over, so now I'm trying to iron out the kinks. I also don't understand how the saving system works. I can't seem to save for the life of me.

Not sure you want to use the unedited patch. It's filled with mistakes.

Not sure you want to use the unedited patch. It's filled with mistakes.

Yeah, it's maybe a bit clunky in places, but it's honestly no worse than your average fansub really. If they release on Steam, I'll definitely buy that too. I'm just looking to kill time at work.

Okay, reinstalled and repatched the app, it works perfectly, voice work is back, saves work. Awesome.

Thoraxes

Need it to be jailbroken for the patch to work or no?

I'll buy it right now if not.

Kambing

Wow, just saw this thread. Sub'd!

Seriously thank you OP(and to others that helped?) for the very informative list of games. Will definitely be checking a lot of it out.

iavi

I wouldn't normally care about a VNs VA, but Stains VA almost makes the game itself. Would not play.

Need it to be jailbroken for the patch to work or no?

I'll buy it right now if not.

I wouldn't normally care about a VNs VA, but Stains VA almost makes the game itself. Would not play.

I just repatched the game and it works perfectly, voicework and saves work fine now. I guess my first download off itunes was corrupted or something. You don't have to jailbreak, no. You just need to download something like iExplorer so you can tether via USB and view your iphone as a disk. Honestly, jailbreaking is preferable as SSH via WinSCP is much, much faster than iExplorer, but iExplorer will do the same thing without jailbreaking.

You can find the game's patch files here:
http://tsuuun.blogspot.com/
If you run into any problems, feel free to PM me.

Thoraxes

I just repatched the game and it works perfectly, voicework and saves work fine now. I guess my first download off itunes was corrupted or something. You don't have to jailbreak, no. You just need to download something like iExplorer so you can tether via USB and view your iphone as a disk. Honestly, jailbreaking is preferable as SSH via WinSCP is much, much faster than iExplorer, but iExplorer will do the same thing without jailbreaking.

You can find the game's patch files here:
http://tsuuun.blogspot.com/
If you run into any problems, feel free to PM me.

Awesome! Many thanks.

Thoraxes

They really should have saved all that work until it was completely edited and translation checked.

They have been, however the main project is currently on hold according to their blog. Apparently they said it will be finished, but they don't know when. Err, the PC one.

Awesome! Many thanks.

No problem. Though I must mention that you don't copy the folders over as the instructions on the blog detail. The file tree is different on the current 1.2 ver. than the 1.0 he used I think. You have to select all the content in the STEINS;GATE folder that is extracted from the rar and copy and overwrite the files in the Steins;Gate_iphone.app folder. Do the same thing with the files in the SGmovies folder, copy them to the Steins;Gate_iphone.app folder. And finally, copy the one file in the Documents file to the corresponding Documents folder in the Steins;Gate directory. After that, reboot your phone and you should be good to go.

They really should have saved all that work until it was completely edited and translation checked.

To my knowledge, this is an effort that is undertaken by someone outside of Shourai. Now with the whole JAST fiasco, who knows when the proper patch will actually be out.

By "I played the JP voices patched version," do you mean you played the English version of Koihime with the voice files from the Japanese release re-inserted into the game by fans, or you played the original Japanese version in Japanese?

i played both .
Back in 2005 i liked the cover because kan'u reminded me of setsuna ( negima ) on the cover so i went and tried it ..and got hooked ...since then i have figurines, games , artbooks, dvd & blu rays.
The game without voices is an unnaceptable answer.( for me )

Did anyone played Aselia the eternal ?

i'm thinking about picking the JAST release .. Did anyone have any issues in particular about it ?

StayDead

I'm coming up to the bit in Steins;Gate when (big spoilers)
Mayushii first dies, I know it's coming but I really don't want it to happen x.x

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Rl2mR.jpg

Ra1den

Placed my order for Hanachirasu and Saya No Uta. Should be fun when they are both released over here. I'm really excited for the latter.

Hopefully these do well, there's still so many N+ games that have yet to be translated by anybody.

By the way, anybody know how Demonbane did, sales-wise?

StayDead

Ok, I've been playing too much Steins;Gate in very long bursts recently. I dreamt last night I had to continously use the time leap machine to do something (I never managed to do it before I woke up).

hamchan

Ok, I've been playing too much Steins;Gate in very long bursts recently. I dreamt last night I had to continously use the time leap machine to do something (I never managed to do it before I woke up).
Or maybe you used it but can't remember?!

Or maybe you used it but can't remember?!

He lacks the Reading Steiner. I've been playing through on my phone, and found out that you could edit the script with ifile. I tried making some changes to some of the occasionally clunky phrasing and saved the file and it worked like a charm. If I'd already played through the entirety of it, I'd take on the task of editing the script myself.

Steins gate will probably be the next game i try once i'm done with katawa..i guess the various imrpession i got around the net means that the current version ( with the recent new patch ) is playable without issues ?

Steins gate will probably be the next game i try once i'm done with katawa..i guess the various imrpession i got around the net means that the current version ( with the recent new patch ) is playable without issues ?

It's playable, though apparently the script needs editing and isn't the most polished translation. Someone recently put together a 1.3 automated patch that fixes a few things.

Pirabear

Banned
Speaking of JAST/Nitroplus, what ever happened to Saya no Uta? I remember them announcing that they had the license back in Anime Expo 2011 and haven't heard anything about it since.

Speaking of JAST/Nitroplus, what ever happened to Saya no Uta? I remember them announcing that they had the license back in Anime Expo 2011 and haven't heard anything about it since.

Supposed to come out soon. Last I heard, JAST's goal was to release it before the next Anime Expo.

Lain

The pre-order is up for it, with an offer of Hanachirasu + Song of Saya ~ Saya no Uta for 39.99$ and free shipping.

I know this is a bit off topic , but i consider Lost Odyssey thousand dream to be one of the best English localization.
I know people who play for the visual novel parts , also these is a English patch for Radical Dreamers. Its good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom