• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yirba

Wait, you're from The Witch Hunt?

Any thoughts on Ougon Musou Kyoku? Because I was considering doing that if you're not.
I'm from Spider Lily Translations, the group translating Higanbana into English. I do work closely with Witch Hunt, though.

As far as I'm aware, no one's working on a patch for Ougon Musou Kyoku. I know that Witch Hunt are very busy catching up with Rose Guns Days right now.

I'm following your progress on a certain anime forum so I know you're not quite there yet but I want you to know I'll wait patiently for your group's translation.
I could play the game in Japanese like I did for Umineko 5-8 (while still replaying it in English afterwards) but...well...I'm less hooked on Higanbana than I was on Umineko. Less mindblowing moments. Still enjoyed the first night a lot though.
Thanks for your support. It may take a while, but I'm committed to getting the translation completed.

cj_iwakura

Oh god yes. Rose Guns Days Trailer is amazing so far.

And I agree, it's not steampunk.

It's fricking Baccano! :D

Is Higanbana their next thing?

are higanbaba gonna follow the same release format as Umineko and higurashi ?

( each new release containing the previous story in it ? )

cj_iwakura

I am sad I waited this long.

nyf09gf.jpg

How long is the demo?

Yirba

are higanbaba gonna follow the same release format as Umineko and higurashi ?

( each new release containing the previous story in it ? )

There are two games: Higanbana The First Night and Higanbana The Second Night. They are completely separate, so to experience the whole story, you'd have to purchase both releases.

I am sad I waited this long.

http://i.imgur.com/nyf09gf.jpg

How long is the demo?

Rose Guns Days: Season 1 contains five chapters. The demo covers most of the first chapter. Might take a couple of hours.

Yirba

After Umineko Chiru, it's hard to get hyped for anything by R07. And Higurashi is my favorite VN...
Higurashi is also my favourite VN. I know a lot of people were disappointed by Umineko Chiru, but both Higanbana and Rose Guns Days are completely different stories to Higurashi or Umineko, with different tone and feel. Therefore, I wouldn't judge them based on experiences from previous 07th Expansion VNs.

cj_iwakura

Higurashi is also my favourite VN. I know a lot of people were disappointed by Umineko Chiru, but both Higanbana and Rose Guns Days are completely different stories to Higurashi or Umineko, with different tone and feel. Therefore, I wouldn't judge them based on experiences from previous 07th Expansion VNs.

I loved Chiru, so haters gon hate.

jamsy

I have a copy of Ever17 for the PC (along with a couple other old PC adv games - Eve Burst Error and some other one that possibly starts with a "D").

Just looked on ebay and had no idea it was worth so much...

Yirba

I have a copy of Ever17 for the PC (along with a couple other old PC adv games - Eve Burst Error and some other one that possibly starts with a "D").

Just looked on ebay and had no idea it was worth so much...

Desire? Yeah, some of these old Himeya and Hirameki games are really hard to find these days and even used copies cost a lot.

Himeya did give MangaGamer a copy of EVE burst error last year so they could release it on their website, but that was the only game they even had copies left of.

I'd love to see some of these games re-released as downloads. It's a shame that some real classics can't be found anymore.

PKrockin

Wow, English copies of Ever17 actually for sale? Surprising. I couldn't find one anywhere. Such a shame, because I loved it.

Of all the things that could have happened to me as I played the last few minutes of the true end, I actually got fucking deja vu. At that point, I was done. My mind went supernova. Those of you who've played the game understand why.

I am seeing now.
I am being seen now.
You are seeing now.
And you are...
Surely being seen by someone.

fuck

Yirba

$75 would actually be a really good price for the game. I've seen used copies go for 4x that amount. For a sealed copy to go for that price is a bargain.

One of my friends managed to get a copy for £12 last year though. I wish I was that lucky…

Spierek

As of now, I'm not deep enough into Rewrite to comment on the overall story (Kotori done, currently aiming for Shizuru), but I've got to say: Key's new VN engine (Siglus) is a work of art.

Mappie sequences, 16:9, animations, smooth video integration, and, above all - a perfect auto reading system. And I really mean perfect. This is a big deal, because auto modes in most VNs determine line end time using the number of characters, which often cuts off the sound files.

What Siglus does on auto is this: when the line is voiced, it automatically skips to the next one right after the end of the voice file, making conversations sound much less artificial. If the line is not voiced, it calculates the wait time using (number of letters * letter time), which is always greater/equal than minimum time (both of those times can be set up manually in the config).

It really makes reading that VN much more pleasurable.

Ever 17 beat! My mind is now in pieces. I am glad I stuck with this, because those 30 hours of boredom were totally worth the insanity of the true end.

I might even make a LTTP thread without the LTTP because there was never any party in the first place.

Yirba

So... why the hell is it worth so much?
With an average rating of 8.91, it is fifth highest-rated visual novel of all time on VNDB, and the highest-rated visual novel for which an official English language release is available*.

*Depending on your definition of "available", anyway.

cj_iwakura

I'm morbidly curious to see that localization, but no way would I pay $85 for a shoddy translation, unless I could patch it with a proper one or something.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Re-translation or fan-edited patches seem like a rare occurance and the one I waited for Higurashi to make it less stiff died a quick death. I forgot if the twins were still working on their version...

jamsy

Desire? Yeah, some of these old Himeya and Hirameki games are really hard to find these days and even used copies cost a lot.

Himeya did give MangaGamer a copy of EVE burst error last year so they could release it on their website, but that was the only game they even had copies left of.

I'd love to see some of these games re-released as downloads. It's a shame that some real classics can't be found anymore.

Yeah, maybe it was Desire. Don't remember exactly and it's currently at my parents' house 6000 miles away... I was recommended all three way back in the day (I remember I got Ever 17 off of an ebay store that may have been an official one for Hirameki at the time) but didn't really play any of them. Ever 17 I had installed at one point and got about 15 minutes in and never touched it again...

Yirba

I'm morbidly curious to see that localization, but no way would I pay $85 for a shoddy translation, unless I could patch it with a proper one or something.
From what I've heard, while the Ever17 localisation has problems, it's actually not that bad. Of course, I have no personal experience with the game myself, but the fact that people are willing to pay huge amounts of money for the game would imply that it's not a huge issue.

Re-translation or fan-edited patches seem like a rare occurance and the one I waited for Higurashi to make it less stiff died a quick death. I forgot if the twins were still working on their version...
Last time I heard from the twins, they haven't cancelled the project, but they're on an indefinite hiatus due to their busy lives.

creid

My two biggest problems with Ever 17's translation, which might illustrate how bad it was:

There is a character named "Yu", which Hirameki decided to write as "You" for the entire game. Which leads to quite a bit of confusion.

Another character is named "Kid", but it's obvious that for some period of time, Hirameki was going to call him "Youth," and changed their minds later. How can you tell? IIRC, all instances of the letters 'youth' are replaced by 'kid'. Which means that every once in a while, the script will say "Hey kidere" instead of "Hey you there."

PKrockin

Another character is named "Kid", but it's obvious that for some period of time, Hirameki was going to call him "Youth," and changed their minds later. How can you tell? IIRC, all instances of the letters 'youth' are replaced by 'kid'. Which means that every once in a while, the script will say "Hey kidere" instead of "Hey you there."

Ha, yeah, I think the first time I ran into that, the line was just "Kidink?" and for a while I was wondering if I really was just that far behind the times with the slang of kids today.

I recently read an old GAF post by someone who claimed to have worked on the translation, and he basically apologized for it being bad and said the deadlines were insane and he spent every waking moment working on it, to the point where he got carpal tunnel. But I guess it goes without saying the localization was rushed, just based on the obvious errors.

creid

I recently read an old GAF post by someone who claimed to have worked on the translation, and he basically apologized for it being bad and said the deadlines were insane and he spent every waking moment working on it, to the point where he got carpal tunnel. But I guess it goes without saying the localization was rushed, just based on the obvious errors.
Yeah, I'm not surprised. The budgets there must've been microscopic.

Playing though Ever17 now the translation is good enough to get the main story across but it certainly has issues. Currently finished all endings on Takashi's half of the story just started Kid's. Kid's story is zzz so far compared to Takashi's which wasn't much better. Honestly Sara doesn't add anything compared to Coco, Kid's a very annoying protagonist to see the story though with his constant amnesia issues, and Takashi seems way more generic when not in my hands.

Ra1den

Ever17's translation is nowhere near "shoddy." It's not perfect, but overall it was a fine translation, and given all the scientific babble in the game, it's a rather impressive achievement.

That "I knows the hacker" line is not indicative of the quality of the majority of the translation. Typos like that are commonplace among VN translations. On the other hand, there are some mistranslations which could possibly be problematic if you are paying close attention to details.

Wait wait wait holy the god damn phone how the fuck in Ever 17(Kid side You's story) did they find a memo from
when the game/Takeshi established on both sides that it was
and nobody questions it. Is this an issue of bad translation or is Takeshi
time traveling?
. If someone can tell me if it's going to be explained later or is simply a bad translation please let me know cause it's going to bother the heck out of me until I know.

Wait wait wait holy the god damn phone how the fuck in Ever 17(Kid side You's story) did they find a memo from
when the game/Takeshi established on both sides that it was
and nobody questions it. Is this an issue of bad translation or is Takeshi
time traveling?
. If someone can tell me if it's going to be explained later or is simply a bad translation please let me know cause it's going to bother the heck out of me until I know.

Should be how you're reading the dates. It doesn't go by the US way of M/D/Y. Or does it flat out say 2019? In that case, it's probably a translation issue.

Should be how you're reading the dates. It doesn't go by the US way of M/D/Y. Or does it flat out say 2019? In that case, it's probably a translation issue.

It doesn't give date/month/year or month/date/year it simply gives both years, using the look back at old text feature I double checked and it does say 2017/2019 for the years.

cj_iwakura

Potentially stupid question about Steins;Gate: I got my new laptop set to Japanese region and the game runs(and the logo is on the title screen), but the spinning satellite isn't, and the openings don't play either. Is it a video issue, or still app locale related? (Couldn't get app locale running on Windows 8...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom