• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The anime is ugly, I'd actually recommend the VN for the visuals as well as the story. The only reason to avoid the VN is if you want to limit your time investment or don't care to read it.

Jawmuncher

Is there a list of all the websites offering downloads or discs of English VNs?
I've been eating up the actual freeware ones and would like more even at a price.

Also is there a list for the noteworthy VNs on IPhone? I could probably search the thread but I'm on the mobile site and the search is always bac when I do so.

PsionBolt

Is there a list of all the websites offering downloads or discs of English VNs?
I've been eating up the actual freeware ones and would like more even at a price.

Also is there a list for the noteworthy VNs on IPhone? I could probably search the thread but I'm on the mobile site and the search is always bac when I do so.

VNDB is the place to go for these types of inquiries: http://vndb.org/v/all?q=&fil=lang-en.plat-ios should list english-language iOS titles.
There aren't that many, and it doesn't seem that many are very good. If you haven't read them yet, Ever17, Higurashi, and Chaos;Head are the standout ones to me.

grim-tales

Hey,
How do I filter freeware VN's when searching the Visual Novel Database? Thanks! :)
I was hoping to give Fate Stay/Night a try (it says its freeware) but the link is broken - I get a "Not Found" type message :(

Fate Stay/Night is definitely not freeware, the database must be messed up.

Edit: Looking at it, the freeware filter seems busted. It's listing patches for commercial games as "freeware." Hell, even 999 is there.

upandaway

Just got Mayuri's ending yesterday (and Rukako and Faris before then). Man, that fried my brain good (
it's sort of included a pseudo-Moeka route too which was just nuts
). I was just gone until I went to sleep.

Looks like I got a day or so of the slow as hell skip mode before I get to any new territory. Doesn't seem so bad since I could use a recap to recover from everything that happened.

upandaway

It's amazing how multi-faceted Kyouma is. Every time I think I have him figured, he proves to be even more of a stand-up guy.
Yeah he's got it, that guy. Some of his reactions to the endings are just special. And I really like his forced laugh, makes me smile every time.

How far in are you?

cj_iwakura

Yeah he's got it, that guy. Some of his reactions to the endings are just special. And I really like his forced laugh, makes me smile every time.

How far in are you?

Almost at Rukako's end, I think. Terrified that I messed something up an I'll have to replay the whole game to see the true. :(

upandaway

Is it possible to transfer saves around? If so then maybe we could help each other out with something like that, since we're both using walkthroughs anyway. My plan is to get true by tuesday.

That only applies if I won't mess up either though, haha.. :(

cj_iwakura

Is it possible to transfer saves around? If so then maybe we could help each other out with something like that, since we're both using walkthroughs anyway. My plan is to get true by tuesday.

That only applies if I won't mess up either though, haha.. :(

It might be. And I actually haven't looked at a walkthrough until now. I think I've been pretty lucky all told.

upandaway

eDuAAyP.jpg

can't.. breathe...

upandaway

Can't wait. Was it hard to get to?
No clue. There were some really bizarre choices all the way but I can't say what was necessary for the ending. My total time in skip mode is around 20 hours, so if I was doing it normally I guess it would be at least double that.

ANYWAY IT WAS AMAZING

Marche90

No clue. There were some really bizarre choices all the way but I can't say what was necessary for the ending. My total time in skip mode is around 20 hours, so if I was doing it normally I guess it would be at least double that.

ANYWAY IT WAS AMAZING

One of the better parts of the ending was the use of the Opening Song (Sky-clad Observer) during that scene. Awesome distilled. Now you can see why I called this one my favorite VN ever. Anyway, what's your score for this one?

And really, Okabe was an AWESOME protagonist.

upandaway

One of the better parts of the ending was the use of the Opening Song (Sky-clad Observer) during that scene. Awesome distilled. Now you can see why I called this one my favorite VN ever. Anyway, what's your score for this one?

And really, Okabe was an AWESOME protagonist.
Okabe was amazing. So much better than all the other protagonists in the VNs I've played, haha. I like him as much as Kurisu (and she's the best thing ever).

The only scenes I didn't really like are
Rukako's ending, Faris chase scene, and Moeka pre-Time Leap Machine
, but aside from that it was all incredible. No real score applicable besides 10/10 here!
Oh man, I'm totally sweaty and spent after that true ending. Will take me a while to calm down.

cj_iwakura

Rukako end get. Was a lot easier than I was fearing, I'm up to Chapter 9 now, hoping I can get the true end without a headache. I'm guessing that you either get Mayuri or Kurisu's end, then the true end if you didn't go that route?

Rukako thoughts:

Very, VERY bittersweet. I loved the photo and the epilogue, but it was painful to get there.

For all intents and purposes, shockingly, Faris' remains the best end so far.

So, no ending for the last girl left off the list? :( I can understand why, but still. It'd be interesting to see.

I'm guessing that you either get Mayuri or Kurisu's end, then the true end if you didn't go that route?
Yeah, and the difference between Kurisu's end and true end is just in one SMS answer. Ignore the message -> Kurisu's end, answer it -> continue to the final chapters.

cj_iwakura

Are these branches in Chapter 9 affecting anything? It's kind of confusing how many there are all of a sudden.

Also, is it safe to say that if I want Kurisu's, I pretty much have to play the game over? :(

upandaway

Are these branches in Chapter 9 affecting anything? It's kind of confusing how many there are all of a sudden.

Also, is it safe to say that if I want Kurisu's, I pretty much have to play the game over? :(
If you're on Mayuri yeah, I think you have to start from chapter 4. Kurisu has new scenes all over the game if you go her route instead of Mayuri, so if someone says where the first of those is I could give you a save slightly before then and save you some time. But on the positive side, it's way better to do Mayuri end before Kurisu, because of how True End works.

There's one branch in Chapter 9 which can either go to an important scene (which was apparently cut from the anime, so you can rejoice in your superiority afterwards, it's also incredible) or entirely skip it and do nothing else, so that's pretty important. Other than that, dunno.

Marche90

To answer your questions:

1.- She doesn't get a route of her own. If you're interested to see what could be considered a pseudo-route, try to search for the story of the Drama CD "The Hyde of a Dark Dimension".

2.- You essentially have to play all over again if you get Mayuri's ending. As upandaway said, start from chapter 4. Also, use a FAQ to do so, less headaches.

cj_iwakura

To answer your questions:

1.- She doesn't get a route of her own. If you're interested to see what could be considered a pseudo-route, try to search for the story of the Drama CD "The Hyde of a Dark Dimension".

2.- You essentially have to play all over again if you get Mayuri's ending. As upandaway said, start from chapter 4. Also, use a FAQ to do so, less headaches.

I kept a save at Chapter 4, but I wonder if it was too late.

For this exact line:

You either want to hug him or slap him upside his head. It's that goddamned powerful.

cj_iwakura

^Goddammit

Shows how messed up is the future in that timeline

Hard to think that
she's the same character that appeared in Robotics;Notes
, huh?

I haven't played R;N, sooo....

And apparently that scene's not in the anime either. I saved a cap of that CG for sure.

Marche90

Neither have I (Japanese and in consoles only, of which I have neither, so...) but I watched the anime recently

And no, the anime skipped that one. Shame, is one of the better (and most disturbing) scenes of the game.

Necrovex

Hearing about all of these SG stuff is really inspiring me to get back to playing through it. I am around chapter eight right now.

Marche90

Hearing about all of these SG stuff is really inspiring me to get back to playing through it. I am around chapter eight right now.

DO IT

As for me, all this talk is inspiring me to make an OT about it. I still need to build it and get some support, though.

Javier

Playing S;G at Chapter 3, the part where
Rintarou sends the winning Lottery numbers back in time.

Shit's getting real.

upandaway

Between the "first half" of S;G
(pre-Leaping) and the "second half", even when both are insane and amazing and wonderful, I think I like the first half a tiny bit more. So many theories and physics and explanations and "you guys this is a garage what's even going on anymore" everywhere.

So uh... I decided not to time leap in Chapter 9, to get the truth about her.

Holy shit, Nae.
Yeah that's what I was referring to. It's insane.

Hard to think that
she's the same character that appeared in Robotics;Notes
, huh?
Wait wait she is WHO?

She is WHAT?!

WHAT!??!

HER!?

edit: the more i think about it the more surreal this is. my world is upside down. R;N must be world line 80.999% or something.

Yirba

Fate Stay/Night is definitely not freeware, the database must be messed up.

Edit: Looking at it, the freeware filter seems busted. It's listing patches for commercial games as "freeware." Hell, even 999 is there.

It's not busted. Those patches are freeware. Please set the "patch status" to "standalone" to hide all the patches. In other words, the link you're probably looking for is:

http://vndb.org/r?fil=lang-en.freeware-1.olang-ja.type-complete.patch-0.plat-win

edit: the more i think about it the more surreal this is. my world is upside down. R;N must be world line 80.999% or something.

Actually robotics notes takes places in the world line
Depending on your choices in the game , this changes a little :) but it stays close to it.

In that line ,
Okabe , daru and the others , including nae are opposing the commitee of 300. For trivia the one who made the virus ( at the end ) in the anime route and send it to frau was Daru

Metrotab

Banned
After a long break (I tend to take lengthy breaks between VN routes) I started my second run of Little Busters! today. After doing Kud's route last time through roleplaying, I'll be trying my hand at Komari's route this time.

Necrovex

Guess I was on chapter seven after all. I just obtained Faris's ending, and got to chapter eight. These alternative endings are so good. I also enjoyed Faris so much more in the game than in the anime. This game, this mother fucking game, it's so bloody good.

Marche90

Guess I was on chapter seven after all. I just obtained Faris's ending, and got to chapter eight. These alternative endings are so good. I also enjoyed Faris so much more in the game than in the anime. This game, this mother fucking game, it's so bloody good.

I think it's time for a poll! Which character ending is your favorite, and why? (obviously excluding Kurisu and the True Ending)

Mine is between Faris and Suzuha. Faris provides a decent closure, and she's very endearing during her ending. On the other hand, watching Okabe's actions during Suzuha's ending becomes very entertaining, while the closure to her ending is actually cute.

I'll try to update this post with some fan-art that I found a while ago. It essentially emulates the style of the S;G artist and provides a picture for 2 or 3 endings (Suzuha and Ruka) most of them

EDIT: Bingo:

sJtWu3Q.jpg

jPT6cmi.jpg

oizFPyu.jpg

14fyLLN.jpg

+ a bonus:
mTGnzRf.jpg

Though I certainly didn't enjoyed entering Danbooru just to find them -_-'

aravuus

Random question about S;G: does every route end up in a romance?

I loved the anime which I assume followed the "true" route, so I'm kind of interested in seeing what other ways the story can take.

e: (kurisu 4 lyfe tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom