• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javier

I'm also thinking about starting Remember 11, but I'm not so sure if I should. Earlier in the thread it is mentioned that there isn't a 'mindfuck' level twist on the end. But in Ever 17 I liked the
Tsugumi being Hokota's and Sara's mother
twist way more than the whole
Blick Winkel and the 4th Dimension/3th Eye
thing. Will I enjoy Remember 11?
Probably not. The big problem with R11 is that
it throws you a couple of cliffhangers at the end and stops there. It's like Ever17 without the Coco route.

You can, however
figure some stuff out through the TIPS and extras, but the game itself never tells you what happens, and even the team that translated the game says there's nothing left.

R11 is still an interesting ride while it lasts, but don't expect it to be on the same level as Ever17.

Burnburn

Hm, I think I will play it when I have more time. Having some mystery's unsolved actually is pretty awesome, IMO. Makes you think and come up with your own little crazy theories.

Any idea how long the game is?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I try to mention it every time I can here. Damn thing's awesome, and one of my favorites VN's ever.

Shame about the character designs, since it is off-putting for some people. It could have reached much higher if it weren't for that...
Just finished Muv-Luv Alternative. It was Fucking. Awesome. I think it takes the cake for my favorite VN of all time. Just amazingly, amazingly well put together with a lot of characters that were really likable, and great storytelling that was refreshingly sparse on shitty anime tropes (though admittedly not devoid of them).

I never thought the character designs were bad
except Tama looking so very, very wrong in her "scenes"
. Though I can see how some could grate on you. I actually thought some of the side characters looked better than any of the main characters.

Highly recommended for everyone, though I advise that you will really have to wade through Muv-Luv Extra first. It's well worth the slog, and you'll just have to trust me on that.

Ra1den

Just finished Muv-Luv Alternative. It was Fucking. Awesome. I think it takes the cake for my favorite VN of all time. Just amazingly, amazingly well put together with a lot of characters that were really likable and refreshingly sparse on shitty anime tropes (though admittedly not devoid of them).

The main characters are all the most formulaic anime tropes there are. You got your loli, your tsundere, your class prez with glasses, etc....these are not just there, they are there on center stage. For everything MLA does well, avoiding tropes is not one of them :)

I loved it for the in depth character introspection and character growth. I can say that I truly learned valuable life lessons during the course of the game. The only thing I would really criticize about the game are some of the
ridiculous coincidences we are expected to accept. Namely, the way all the characters are closely involved with each other in all 3 of the world lines, miraculously.

Unless that was somehow explained and I missed it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The main characters are all the most formulaic anime tropes there are. You got your loli, your tsundere, your class prez with glasses, etc....these are not just there, they are there on center stage. For everything MLA does well, avoiding tropes is not one of them :)

I loved it for the in depth character introspection and character growth. I can say that I truly learned valuable life lessons during the course of the game. The only thing I would really criticize about the game are some of the
ridiculous coincidences we are expected to accept. Namely, the way all the characters are closely involved with each other in all 3 of the world lines, miraculously.

Unless that was somehow explained and I missed it.
Oh, when I mean trope I mean storytelling tropes, not character tropes. The game rarely cops out with shitty ass-pulls, storytelling-wise. The plot progression is all very believable and well told.

And no, I don't think that was explained much, though it's not all that unbelievable. The closest thing I can think of is
they were simply part of the same school that the military base was based on. Takeru does think at one point that the fact that he doesn't see most of his classmates means that they are probably dead

Hm, I think I will play it when I have more time. Having some mystery's unsolved actually is pretty awesome, IMO. Makes you think and come up with your own little crazy theories.

Any idea how long the game is?

You get it man! I'm the same way, which is why I adore R11 so much.

The game is roughly fifty hours long, though of course that can change according to your reading style.

JAST is finally done with Saya.

We are happy to announce that Saya no Uta has officially gone Golden Master and will ship in a matter of weeks. As many of you know, this famous visual novel is the work of writer Urobuchi Gen, whose most recent works include the popular anime series Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero.

I had my doubts about them doing anything, to be honest...

Anything else down the pipeline?

From JAST?

Yumina the Ethereal - editing and debugging, "We will definitely finish it by AX 2013.
Hanachirasu - 99%
Django - Couple more months of translation
Kikokugai - Working out issues
Sumaga - 87.03% complete, going through retranslation
Seinarukana - Old translators went M.I.A, so starting translation from scratch with new translator.
Starless - Work ongoing
Starry Sky - negotations
Muramasa - Common route complete, 2 of 5 chapters towards true end translated, uncertain what will come from the project
Steins;Gate - "QC Remaining: phone text"
Trample on Schatten - In translation

JAST being JAST it's difficult to tell just when (or if) any of this will get released though.

Perkel

Banned
I think it would be better to also include full rating of content based on sites like http://vndb.org/ what those games include if it is 18+ game.

For example Swan Song in OP is like innocent game but i tried like a year ago and.. yeah child sex. This could rub very wrong many people and miss games like 999.

cj_iwakura

Just got Suzuha's end in Steins;Gate.

Surprisingly painless to get to, but boy did that escalate quickly.

That red font.

But nice ending still.

Marche90

Just got Suzuha's end in Steins;Gate.

Surprisingly painless to get to, but boy did that escalate quickly.

That red font.

But nice ending still.

It's "beautiful" to see
Okabe's descent into madness
Still, awesome ending, specially since Suzuha's one of my favorite characters.

Also, about FSN. It's not that complicated to change routes. To access the second one you'll see a new choice that wasn't there the first time on the first days, and to access the third one, you have to pick all the choices related to Sakura on the first 3 days or so.

cj_iwakura

It's "beautiful" to see
Okabe's descent into madness
Still, awesome ending, specially since Suzuha's one of my favorite characters.

Also, about FSN. It's not that complicated to change routes. To access the second one you'll see a new choice that wasn't there the first time on the first days, and to access the third one, you have to pick all the choices related to Sakura on the first 3 days or so.

Have I missed any endings at this point in Steins? That was the first obvious 'hi, a branch is coming up' thing I saw.

Marche90

Have I missed any endings at this point in Steins? That was the first obvious 'hi, a branch is coming up' thing I saw.

No. Essentially you'll be given the option to branch to the character-specific endings every chapter, and the choice to do so will be the same as the one you took with Suzuha.

Problems may arise when you try to get the last 3 endings, though (Mayuri, Kurisu and the True Ending) since those three depends of your choices since chapter 4 or so.... well, two, you can get Kurisu's ending and the True ending with the same choices, since the only difference between these two endings will be the last choice, iirc. Hint: Relevant choices that affect these two paths (Mayuri and Kurisu/True) are those that involve Kurisu, and ignoring your cell phone when talking to her, mostly

Javier

Just started Steins/Gate. According to the spoiler-free guide, there are required choices to make for every route. What happens if you don't fulfill the requirements for any of them? Is there a common route bad ending or something?

Marche90

Not to my knowledge. The only things that you'll miss (or at least I think) are achievements.

The only choices that matters that I know are the last choice of the episodes where you can get the other character's endings and the choices that determine which ending you'll get at the end, if Mayuri's or Kurisu's.

Still, if you're using a walkthrough, you shouldn't have that much difficulties going through it, just try to follow it more or less faithfully. Don't worry about missing one or two directions, also. It might happen but it won't affect something big

cj_iwakura

I hope I didn't get your hopes up too high.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528906

gren.png

Mine are through the roof. :D

upandaway

I saw this icon at the end of text once suddenly in S;G, do you guys know what it means? I guess it has to do with some config I changed?

NOYjgFO.png

Marche90

I saw this icon at the end of text once suddenly in S;G, do you guys know what it means? I guess it has to do with some config I changed?

NOYjgFO.png

Although cj already said it, might as well expand upon that. That icon indicates a "phone trigger" ie, you can take out your phone (p in the keyboard, iirc) to make a choice, or if you want, ignore it.

Necrovex

NOYjgFO.png

It means a branching path event is taking place, i.e. something is about to diverge the plot.

Although cj already said it, might as well expand upon that. That icon indicates a "phone trigger" ie, you can take out your phone (p in the keyboard, iirc) to make a choice, or if you want, ignore it.

I never realized what that meant, and I skipped pretty much all of them during the first half of the game. :-(

Marche90

Pops up in your first run of the game. You should have seen it at the very least before an ending. First use iirc is when you have to input the code 120# in the Microwave

upandaway

That's... really weird. I really don't think I saw it at all during the run. then I finished it, loaded up a random save (which I think it's from after the route was decided even), and saw the icon.

Feels like I changed world lines.

Amaron

Banned
That's... really weird. I really don't think I saw it at all during the run. then I finished it, loaded up a random save (which I think it's from after the route was decided even), and saw the icon.

Feels like I changed world lines.

Same here really. I happened to get Suzuha's ending on my first playthrough and I never encountered the icon either.

Are we from past the 1%, upandaway?

upandaway

Same here really. I happened to get Suzuha's ending on my first playthrough and I never encountered the icon either.

Are we from past the 1%, upandaway?
Haha seems like everyone here got Suzuha's ending for the first ending, me too. For what's next, I'm a bit worried because of how slow and useless the skip mode is.. currently contemplating whether I should use a walkthrough since it would save me a LOT of time and won't break the flow of the story, like trial and error + waiting for the skip would.

currently contemplating whether I should use a walkthrough since it would save me a LOT of time and won't break the flow of the story, like trial and error + waiting for the skip would.
I used a guide to get to the True Ending and I doubt I would have picked the right answer for some SMS by myself. Sometimes I was like, how would I guess that THAT was the right choice out of those three?

cj_iwakura

I just saw the icon in Chapter 8, and I'm not sure what it did.

Right before Kyouma waits a day to see if Mayuri dies, and she does. I wasn't able to find any options?

Marche90

I just saw the icon in Chapter 8, and I'm not sure what it did.

Right before Kyouma waits a day to see if Mayuri dies, and she does. I wasn't able to find any options?

I had to check the FAQ that I used to make it through the game. Lame. Anyway

I think that you're supposed to watch her die once in that chapter, and after that you will continue like normal with the chapter, ad in the end the branch will appear

upandaway

Well I tried playing with the skip some more (like disabling sync and making text faster and pretty much everything) and it's still.. unusable. I'm scared of timing it, because I'm not sure if it's even any faster at all. I thought maybe I did something wrong with the install/patch/whatever, but it's the same on my other PC even without the patch.. sometimes it just gets stuck on something for a good 10 seconds without any consistency on what.

I guess I have to go with the walkthrough, then. It's a bit of a shame because I wanted to experiment with the mails more seriously but oh well, it won't be any less enjoyable!

upandaway

Aaaaaaaaaaaa this is really confusing. Can someone help me out please? No specific route spoilers, just general chapter 3.

In the guide's shared route, chapter 3, there's a part where the guide says not to send Titor the mail. But even if I don't pull out the phone, Okabe eventually does anyway and sends the mail after all.
Am I supposed to let this happen, or did I do something wrong? I followed the guide exactly except for reading two Rukako mails that weren't even mentioned in the guide, and there wasn't anything to reply in them.

Aaaaaaaaaaaa this is really confusing. Can someone help me out please? No specific route spoilers, just general chapter 3.

In the guide's shared route, chapter 3, there's a part where the guide says not to send Titor the mail. But even if I don't pull out the phone, Okabe eventually does anyway and sends the mail after all.
Am I supposed to let this happen, or did I do something wrong? I followed the guide exactly except for reading two Rukako mails that weren't even mentioned in the guide, and there wasn't anything to reply in them.

The guide has some errors, if I'm remembering things correctly, you should be fine.

upandaway

That's.. surprisingly unreliable. I'll have to redo like 6 hours if I mess up because of it, so I'm starting to get scared.

The guide also says not to read Titor's last messiah mail for the rest of the chapter, but Okabe goes ahead and opens it even if I don't manually pull the phone out (I can, though).
I... really hope I'm still fine.

Don't worry about it, I remember several points where the guide tells you to do things that there is no option for. The game isn't as sensitive about those decisions as the guide would make you believe. And it only takes a few minutes to use the skip function to get through the game even if the worst happens.

Necrovex

That's.. surprisingly unreliable. I'll have to redo like 6 hours if I mess up because of it, so I'm starting to get scared.

The guide also says not to read Titor's last messiah mail for the rest of the chapter, but Okabe goes ahead and opens it even if I don't manually pull the phone out (I can, though).
I... really hope I'm still fine.

If I remember correctly, that last message triggers the end of the chapter. It's mandatory.

Marche90

Surprisingly, both are fine, whatever you choose. The animation is one of the very few that are good, almost as good as the original. Keep in mind, though, you will lose a few things if you only watch the anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom