• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://dysfunctionalsystems.com/

It's only five bucks. Not a bad price at all for an interesting premise.

https://dischan.org/store/product.php?productID=8

I plan to buy this by the end of month, so I can't say anything about the quality of either at the time.

Any updates on this? Has anyone else given this one a shot? I had mixed feelings about Juniper's knot from them but these guys definitely have potential. I just want some sort of feedback before I gamble 5 dollars on it.

Damn, didn't notice the post count. Quoting for new page.

PsionBolt

Were any story sequences cut in the Realta Nua version of F/SN by taking out the h-scenes? I prefer the clean version, so I hope not.

Fate and Unlimited Blade Works (the first two routes) are almost exactly the same, but Heaven's Feel (the third route) is really, significantly different.
Nothing would have really been lost by just excising the H-scenes, but because Heaven's Feel is a thoroughly 18+ story throughout, they opted instead to alter the events outside of those scenes as well. It becomes a very different story. And that's the true route, so it's a pretty big deal. It makes the story not quite line up exactly with Fate/Zero, for instance.

cj_iwakura

Fate and Unlimited Blade Works (the first two routes) are almost exactly the same, but Heaven's Feel (the third route) is really, significantly different.
Nothing would have really been lost by just excising the H-scenes, but because Heaven's Feel is a thoroughly 18+ story throughout, they opted instead to alter the events outside of those scenes as well. It becomes a very different story. And that's the true route, so it's a pretty big deal. It makes the story not quite line up exactly with Fate/Zero, for instance.

It sounds like the version I'm playing might not be edited after all. I'm confused as heck, but I guess I'll just roll with it.

LadyRiven

I remember hearing about this a while back. I know it's a Nitro+ game, so was Urobuchi involved in any way? I'll probably give it a play at some point regardless, I'm just curious.

I don't believe so, but it does fit with the kind of dark theme that Nitro+ games are famous for. I just finished my first route (Koujaku) w/good and bad end and I really enjoyed the story from start to finish.

upandaway

I'm on Day 1 of F/SN now. Yeesh, I already have to make choices? Are any of them major, or will that be indicated somehow?
I wanna say things about that but it will probably color your expectations ever so slightly, so I won't. Anyway, just go wild on the choices (hell, I could even recommend getting all tiger stamps if you're up for it).

Javier

Finished Steins/Gate Chapter 5.

ibkMjVJhuRykve.gif

I need a break from this VN.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Any updates on this? Has anyone else given this one a shot? I had mixed feelings about Juniper's knot from them but these guys definitely have potential. I just want some sort of feedback before I gamble 5 dollars on it.

Sorry, I haven't been able at the time. :(

Kainazzo

Two questions! This isn't about translated VNs, but I figure this is still the best thread to ask.

I'm trying to take advantage of my Japanese 360, and it looks like most of the non-shooter exclusives are VNs. The ones I've looked at seem either too suggestive or otherwise too cutesy in style for me. However, I can brush that aside if the games are actually worth playing; would anyone recommend any? Any that are still 360 exclusives?

Also, from the Moe Game Awards 2012 thread, I've had Konosora bookmarked for a while. I can see in the NSFW gallery that it's a hentai VN, but I love the beautiful world/landmark art. That's the only reason why the game is on my radar at all, I'm not much of a VN guy. All of the blues and greens really give my new monitor a workout; I was hooked the moment I saw the windmills.

Question is, if I were to purchase the game (gotta find where they sell it first), would I really see that much more of the fantastic world art? I'm not a fan of the character designs, but again, I can look passed all that for the backgrounds. Or the story, maybe it's good; I don't know! It looks a bit like "The Place Promised in Our Early Days", which I liked, but this is obviously a little more...extreme. Would it be recommended for someone who isn't looking for an eroge, but can settle if the rest is up to par?

LadyRiven

Has anyone played Phenomeno? I noticed it was Nitro+ with Yoshitoshi Abe art and I had to download it immediately!

gosh I love Nitro+ ;u;

creid

Hm, got an email that Jlist tried to charge me for Song of Saya but the payment failed. Must be shipping real soon.

Lain

Hm, got an email that Jlist tried to charge me for Song of Saya but the payment failed.

Same here. I don't remember which card I used though, and the J-List support site to change the CC on the order isn't working for me (won't let me log in).

Lain

It's pretty cool that it is about to ship, it's been so long.
At the same time, I'm a bit scared I'll lose my preorder. The email they sent me to notify a payment failure provided links to the j-list support site to change the CC that only lands me to an error page.
Registering an account on the j-list support site to change the CC didn't help as well, since the site keeps telling me "username or password are wrong", despite having validated the account and doing no error in inserting username/password (I even went and used the change password link, just to be sure I wasn't fucking up with the copy pasting, still won't let me log in).

It would have been nice if JAST had put the ship date on their site. It's... kind of important. Does anyone know what the box looks like and what, if anything, is in it aside from the disk?

creid

Same here. I don't remember which card I used though, and the J-List support site to change the CC on the order isn't working for me (won't let me log in).
You probably need to log into jastusa.com instead, that's where my order showed up. It's odd, I got a message that my payment failed, but the payment clearly shows up on my credit card, and I got a shipping email the other day. Guess I'll wait and see what happens.

Lain

You probably need to log into jastusa.com instead, that's where my order showed up. It's odd, I got a message that my payment failed, but the payment clearly shows up on my credit card, and I got a shipping email the other day. Guess I'll wait and see what happens.

The JastUSA site kept telling me the order was on hold (and still does, actually, which seems weird).
In the end I even created an account on the j-list site itself to get the one I made on the support site to let me log in, so I managed to submit new CC info.
I received an email that a package was shipped today, so now it's just a matter of waiting for it to arrive.

Metrotab

Banned
Just finished Komari's route in Little Busters!

So sad! I really liked the way the story took an uplifting turn.
I also like picture books a lot. They're the visual novel of anciennity. I wonder what that scene at the graveyard meant though, with the silhouette. Masato was a total bro in this route.

Oh, and 'Just One Magic Word' is the best song I've heard so far in a VN.

chrono01

Well I ordered the CD/DVD Packaged version of Saya no Uta. I've heard some good things about it.

It's weird that they had no shipping cost, though, considering I'm in Canada. Maybe it will be added in later?

Apparently, according to the site, we get three free posters with dating sim orders, so hopefully mine ships with those.

creid

Well I ordered the CD/DVD Packaged version of Saya no Uta. I've heard some good things about it.

It's weird that they had no shipping cost, though, considering I'm in Canada. Maybe it will be added in later?
Free shipping is a pre-order (& I guess early order) discount.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I finally finished Muv-Luv Alternative, it was so freaking long, with a lot of parts that you can't fast forward. I really hope they can somehow make the story shorter, they managed to give great detailed explanation on EVERYTHING happened in the story. Everything from training procedures, soldier psychologies, alien tech, world politic, local government, every single freaking plot point are explained like some kind of encyclopedia. Those explanations are great for the hardcore fans that want to know more about the world, but I am pretty sure I can skip 50% of that and still understand the story.

Despite all the complains I have regarding its length, the overall plot is good enough that I am willing to learn some fictional Japan politic just to know more about the story. The VN really gave me the same feeling as Attack on Titan - Shingeki no Kyojin, where everything in the world consistently remind you that the humanity is doomed, and men are powerless to stop it.

The characters are a lot more likeable in Alternative compare to the original. Especially the main character,
the jump from a "moron with a harem" to the man that he became in Alternative is really jaw dropping.

I am really glad I finished Muvluv Extra/Unlimited before playing Alternative, even though I hated the original, Alternative just wouldn't be the same without experiencing the original.

I can easily recommend Muv Luv Alternative to anyone that enjoy alien invasion end-of-the-world story with a lot of robot action. Just keep in mind the price of entry, you have to suffer though at least 2 routes in the original story. I guess it isn't a big deal if you still like the traditional lighthearted harem story.

If you liked G-Senjou then I would definitely say to check out Sharin No Kuni. It's a good outlook, maybe not as immediately engaging as G-Senjou, but it should be fun.

Thanks for the suggestion, I going to check it out after taking a break from VNs, don't want to burn myself out.

Marche90

Glad you sticked with it. Reading the first two novels is somewhat annoying, but it really pays off in the end. Also, is probably for the best that you take a break. Reading Alternative is a mind-boggling time sink.

Also, Really? That's the plot of Attack on Titan? I wasn't even remotely interested in watching it, but now that you mentioned that it is on my watch list effective immediately.

Glad you sticked with it. Reading the first two novels is somewhat annoying, but it really pays off in the end. Also, is probably for the best that you take a break. Reading Alternative is a mind-boggling time sink.

Also, Really? That's the plot of Attack on Titan? I wasn't even remotely interested in watching it, but now that you mentioned that it is on my watch list effective immediately.

Muv Luv Alternate is often cited as an inspiration for Attack on Titan.

And on an amusing note. This:
Aroduc has launched a kickstarter for a translation of Little Witch Romanesque. Something like this was bound to happen. It'll be interesting to see how well funded this gets considering it's not a well known title.
has been hit with a DMC notice and been taken down. Not surprising of course.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
According to JAST, Saya no Uta is finally shipping. Sure took 'em long enough.

Here's what the thing looks like:

UcF8ICc.jpg

Should have my copy in a couple days. Excited to finally see what this game's about.

According to JAST, Saya no Uta is finally shipping. Sure took 'em long enough.

Here's what the thing looks like:

saya.jpeg

Should have my copy in a couple days. Excited to finally see what this game's about.

It's easily one of my favorite VNs that I've "played" to date. Depending on how you feel about shocking imagery, you might very well end up seeing it as a masterpiece like I did :).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's easily one of my favorite VNs that I've "played" to date. Depending on how you feel about shocking imagery, you might very well end up seeing it as a masterpiece like I did :).

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. There are a lot of games and VNs that try to throw a lot of grotesque or unsettling stuff at you, but kinda back off at the last minute. Hoping this is the one that basically just goes balls out.

cj_iwakura

Oh, it does. You've been warned.

I had a hilarious revelatory moment once I started Day 4 of F/SN.

"So why is Rin always in that trenchcoat and not... oh."

Marche90

I just can't get into Saya no Uta. I tried, and utterly failed. Which is kind of weird if I think about it, since I had almost no trouble getting through some gory VNs

I had a hilarious revelatory moment once I started Day 4 of F/SN.

"So why is Rin always in that trenchcoat and not... oh."

A moment of brilliance for Shirou.

Their interactions only get better. Just wait until you start reading the Unlimited Blade Works route, since I'm pretty sure you'll love it. For example, in that route, there's an specific set of choices that gives you an hilarious conversation between those two and
Lancer
. Look forward to it

cj_iwakura

I just can't get into Saya no Uta. I tried, and utterly failed. Which is kind of weird if I think about it, since I had almost no trouble getting through some gory VNs

A moment of brilliance for Shirou.

Their interactions only get better. Just wait until you start reading the Unlimited Blade Works route, since I'm pretty sure you'll love it. For example, in that route, there's an specific set of choices that gives you an hilarious conversation between those two and
Lancer
. Look forward to it

The biggest worry I have with the game is also what I like about VNs. So. many. branching paths.

Marche90

Holy shit, I've never heard of them, but it surely looks amazing. Let's see where it ends. I'm all aboard for getting more official VN localization groups. I just hope that they don't use JP prices to sell them

Although... ESRB? Really? I wonder why they went through that trouble knowing full well that they'll get slapped with an AO rating (the RP icon is in the bottom of the page, for those who missed it)

Also, forgot to say, but downloading the demo right now (jeez, my laptop is barely above the minimum requirements. I only get lucky because of the processor and RAM, since for everything else I'm barely there.

EDIT 2: ... um... wow...Play-Asia pre-orders here. I wasn't expecting it to be this far.

It also has a wheelchair heroine. Someone page the Katawa Shoujo fans.

It's pretty crazy that this is releasing this month out of nowhere.

Although... ESRB? Really? I wonder why they went through that trouble knowing full well that they'll get slapped with an AO rating (the RP icon is in the bottom of the page, for those who missed it)
It's possible they cut the ero or censored it.

Marche90

It's possible they cut the ero or censored it.

I doubt it, since the only versions that exist of this game are 18+ and, surprisingly, there have been a few eroges rated by the ESRB. 2 or 3, but they are there

Oh, well, we'll see in a few weeks, since it seems like this is close to release. Also, I still haven't tested the demo. Will try it and post impressions later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom