• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this has been posted here yet, but supposedly, Ever17 is potentially going to be released on Steam!

I don't know how much of it is true, or if it's actually going to happen, but it appears to at least be an idea. Here's hoping it actually happens!

And on a different note, related to If My Heart Had Wings, I just finished the demo, and I have to say, it's pretty impressive. The art and everything is really beautiful. The translation is a bit stiff at times, and there are a few grammar errors, but I trust that those are ones that will be fixed by the time of release. And even if they aren't, I still found myself enjoying the story even with the errors. At some point, I even found myself able to overlook the errors entirely!

Unfortunately, we can't tell how bad the censorship bug is going to strike the game, but I doubt it will be as bad as some are making it out to be. Would the game be better without censoring? More likely than not, yes. But I don't think it will automatically be bad with the censoring. From the couple hours I spent on the demo, it's certainly an enjoyable game, so that's leaving me optimistic for the full release. :)

Danj

Just finished Saya no Uta. It was shorter than I expected, and I'm disappointed there were no ero scenes involving the doctor lady, but other than that it was pretty good. Definitely not for the faint of heart, though it does have a wuss mode where you can select to blur out the blood and gore and whatnot.

Danj

About how long is Saya no Uta? vndb says 2-10 hours, but that's a pretty big range.

Yeah there's a BAD END that you can get to pretty early on, which is probably where the 2 comes from. I'm not sure exactly how long I spent on it.. maybe 6-8 hours?

About how long is Saya no Uta? vndb says 2-10 hours, but that's a pretty big range.

I read it in one sitting, IIRC it took about 4-5 hours. Vndb's ranges aren't unique per title, they just have a couple of set ranges and the closet one is applied.

Has anyone read both versions of the Saya translation? Does the JAST release improve much?

creid

Forgot to mention that I finished planetarian a few weeks ago. The translation had its ups and downs - some parts of the localization clearly had a lot of care put into them, others looked like they didn't even get a cursory error check. All in all though, the issues were minor and I enjoyed it well enough.

Forgot to mention that I finished planetarian a few weeks ago. The translation had its ups and downs - some parts of the localization clearly had a lot of care put into them, others looked like they didn't even get a cursory error check. All in all though, the issues were minor and I enjoyed it well enough.

Good to know, I downloaded it when it first came out but haven't actually had a chance to play it since I played the original fan translation. Hope this is a sign of more Visual Art's VNs coming out in the west...

creid

Finished Saya no Uta. Depraved shit, but effective horror.

Also, for whoever asked if Saya no Uta's translation was better than the fan translation: I can't speak to whether it was improved or not, but I thought it was very well done. Very smooth, and none of the usual grammatical / spelling hiccups that I've come to expect from (non-Aksys) official visual novel translations. I think I noticed one misspelling and one other error in the whole 5 hours or so. A post from JAST on their forums described their script as "heavily revised" over the previous one, so take that as you will.

Blusby

Just finished Kara no Shoujo, now that was a really good VN with the best art I have ever seen, in a VN. So far I've read through Katawa Shoujo, F/SN, Tsukihime, Higurashi, Umineko, Saya no Uta (really didn't like this one), KnS, and the Muv-Luv trilogy (with Alternative being my favorite VN). I'll probably read Steins;Gate next as I really loved the anime when I watched it a year ago.

Burnburn

Just finished Kara no Shoujo, now that was a really good VN with the best art I have ever seen, in a VN. So far I've read through Katawa Shoujo, F/SN, Tsukihime, Higurashi, Umineko, Saya no Uta (really didn't like this one), KnS, and the Muv-Luv trilogy (with Alternative being my favorite VN). I'll probably read Steins;Gate next as I really loved the anime when I watched it a year ago.

Hehe, I'm also playing Kara No Shoujo right now! I'm on the
Second case
right now, am I nearing the end? I'm really liking it so far, though I have some small issues with it. I really don't like how
everyone is dying, takes the impact of a person dying away
. I also have to use a guide, or else I just keep getting bad endings. (this may be my fault instead of the game)

Blusby

Hehe, I'm also playing Kara No Shoujo right now! I'm on the
Second case
right now, am I nearing the end? I'm really liking it so far, though I have some small issues with it. I really don't like how
everyone is dying, takes the impact of a person dying away
. I also have to use a guide, or else I just keep getting bad endings. (this may be my fault instead of the game)
I'd say that you're
halfway through it
, and yeah
it bugged me how I couldn't save the Ojou-sama, I really felt bad for her but alas I have my insect-lovin' imouto to protect
. I had to use a guide myself in the second half during investigations just because I was afraid to miss small things I may have overlooked on the screen. I'm glad to hear you like it as well, it's a great VN with beautiful art and music.

/XX/

Hopefully. I'd take any official english release of Steins at this point. I don't even buy physical anymore, but I'd buy that box.
I think that release could seriously be a certainty at this point. As InfiniteNine commented days ago, mighty translator Reading Steiner has been teasing it on places like 4Chan's /a/ for the last weeks:

Reading Steiner !!6jkA9erigiQ - http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/84589946/#q84607916 said:
Alright, I'll tell you the truth.
The truth about the current VN situation is [REDACTED]
AX might be interesting this year.
Reading Steiner !!6jkA9erigiQ - http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/86158791/#q86164888 said:
It'd be good if I could go to AX for the JAST panel at least...

/XX/

!!! Looks like I'm going have to swing by the JAST panel. Fingers crossed for Steam.
Oh right! You said you were going to Anime Expo this year, isn't it? Man, Masahiko Ōtsuka & Co. from TRIGGER, Masaaki Yuasa, Keigo Sasaki, InfiniteNine 'cosplaying' there... and now a possible little surprise by JAST USA as well, so cool!

iavi

Oh right! You said you were going to Anime Expo this year, isn't it? Man, Masahiko Ōtsuka & Co. from TRIGGER, Masaaki Yuasa, Keigo Sasaki, InfiniteNine 'cosplaying' there... and now a possible little surprise by JAST USA as well, so cool!

Yep! Super excited to finally be making the trek down to socal for the expo. I'm also excited to see some of the announced music acts; Was a big fan of Rentrer en Soi, so I'm interested in seeing the ex vox's new act.

This Jast hinting was entirely unexpected, though. If it wasn't for the chance to have Yuasa actually sign something of mine, this'd probably be what I'd be excited about most.

Well I'll be there too dressed as Kurisu so that'll feel appropriate! o:

Meet-up!

oni_saru

hello VN-GAF!!

I'm currently starting to play some VNs i had on my backlog! So I was wondering for VN players, do you all usually use guides or do you play/replay till you get the routes you want/all routes?

I'm currently playing Dramatical Murder. I'm thinking of not using a guide for this one. But next on my list is Togainu no Chi and I'm thinking of maybe going for a guide for that one since the story is a bit more complicated from what i've read about it before.

Is it better to use guides when aiming for the True end?

Only other VNs I've played before were 999, VLR, & Hakuoki. And i didn't use a guide for those except for two of the 999 endings. Got all endings for 999 and VLR. Only got one good ending for Hakuoki.

Blusby

hello VN-GAF!!

I'm currently starting to play some VNs i had on my backlog! So I was wondering for VN players, do you all usually use guides or do you play/replay till you get the routes you want/all routes?

I'm currently playing Dramatical Murder. I'm thinking of not using a guide for this one. But next on my list is Togainu no Chi and I'm thinking of maybe going for a guide for that one since the story is a bit more complicated from what i've read about it before.

Only other VNs I've played before were 999, VLR, & Hakuoki. And i didn't use a guide for those except for two of the 999 endings. Got all endings for 999 and VLR. Only got one good ending for Hakuoki.

I'd say use guides for story-centric VN's. There's not more annoying than being on an undesired route because you picked the wrong choice.

Rarutos

DRAMAtical Murder is great! Some of the most visually appealing UIs in a visual novel/ADV I've seen to date. Also just visually appealing in general, dat transition to the opening movie.

I've only finished one route, but I do like it quite a bit!

hello VN-GAF!!

I use guides pretty freely. There's little risk of spoilers, and it saves time. I like to understand how the VN is structured before reading it even if I'm not using it step-by-step.

Zukuu

Banned
Ever 17. I hear so much about it and I'm a general fan of the genre, but I HATE time pressure. How prominent is the 5 day limit? Is it just a story concept, or does it actually play a role?

Ever 17. I hear so much about it and I'm a general fan of the genre, but I HATE time pressure. How prominent is the 5 day limit? Is it just a story concept, or does it actually play a role?

Purely story, there's never any sort of timer on any of your actions throughout.

Anyway I came here because I was wondering if any of you can help me remember the name of a VN. It wasn't translated the last time I checked and I wanted to see if there was a translation patch out by now. It's a Wii exclusive VN that had a 3 digit number for the title and it won some sort of award. The boxart was really yellow and I think it revolved around solving some sort of crime. Hopefully that's enough to go by, I appreciate any help in figuring this one out.

Zukuu

Banned
Purely story, there's never any sort of timer on any of your actions throughout.

Anyway I came here because I was wondering if any of you can help me remember the name of a VN. It wasn't translated the last time I checked and I wanted to see if there was a translation patch out by now. It's a Wii exclusive VN that had a 3 digit number for the title and it won some sort of award. The boxart was really yellow and I think it revolved around solving some sort of crime. Hopefully that's enough to go by, I appreciate any help in figuring this one out.

Thanks!

And you probably mean 428.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/428:_Fūsa_Sareta_Shibuya_de

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

428? Nothing that I've seen and it's not Wii Exclusive anymore.

I've finally had a chance to find some free time the past week to really sink my teeth into Rewrite befor Last of Us comes out next week. So far I've completed Kotori's and Chihaya's arcs, working on Lucia, and I have to say.....

Kotori's was easily the worst of the three so far. Can't wait to see how Lucia's arc ends!

aravuus

Heh heh, you're in for a treat.

I think I have a few DS VNs lying around, Time Hollow and something else, should probably give them a try some day.

Heh heh, you're in for a treat.

I think I have a few DS VNs lying around, Time Hollow and something else, should probably give them a try some day.

I liked time hollow . it was really a cool concept ..and when sh*t hit the fan ..it really goes messy..
There are some little holes ( pun intended ) in the story but the overall experience is great.

I wish i could reexperience it without knowing the twist.
And the soundtrack was quite good.

aravuus

I liked time hollow . it was really a cool concept ..and when sh*t hit the fan ..it really goes messy..
There are some little holes ( pun intended ) in the story but the overall experience is great.

I wish i could reexperience it without knowing the twist.
And the soundtrack was quite good.

Well, maybe I should give it a try right now. About how long was it?

Are there any new translated Games out there like Kamidori?

I really like Games with actual Gameplay, though maybe it wouldnt be called a VN anymore.

oni_saru

Thanks for the replies! So far the one I'm playing must be easy since I got the good end on the first try with no guide.

DRAMAtical Murder is great! Some of the most visually appealing UIs in a visual novel/ADV I've seen to date. Also just visually appealing in general, dat transition to the opening movie.

I've only finished one route, but I do like it quite a bit!

It is pretty fantastic!! I love how colorful it is! Ren is such a cute puppy but when he talks I laugh a bit.

Which route did you finish? I finished Koujaku's route last night. Got the good end! It was super sweet! Also an unexpected funny moment at the end!

upandaway

Just reached.. a certain part... in Muv Luv Alternative.

I was shaking IRL for about 15 minutes before I calmed down to make the post. It wasn't very enjoyable.

There's a difference between pulling off something like this in a series (which I've been through countless times), and doing it 50 hours into a series. It was never this bad for me with things like Shingeki no Kyojin or Saya no Uta for this reason.

I guess I'll just calm down and continue. I don't like feeling like I just felt, at all, but I'm good now.. I think. Stopping now will leave me more scarred than the alternative.
(see what I did there)

Nishastra

Banned
Just reached.. a certain part... in Muv Luv Alternative.

I was shaking IRL for about 15 minutes before I calmed down to make the post. It wasn't very enjoyable.

There's a difference between pulling off something like this in a series (which I've been through countless times), and doing it 50 hours into a series. It was never this bad for me with things like Shingeki no Kyojin or Saya no Uta for this reason.

I guess I'll just calm down and continue. I don't like feeling like I just felt, at all, but I'm good now.. I think. Stopping now will leave me more scarred than the alternative.
(see what I did there)
I like how even in the spoiler tag you don't say what it is. Anyone who's played Alternative should know, though :p

I've been replaying it recently and I was really dreading getting back to that part, but it's not as bad when you know it's coming.

Though (maybe don't read this if you're only just a little past that point)
everything that follows is a little more depressing when you know it's coming.

Marche90

Oh. Has to do with
the death of some characters?
(sorry, I can't read between the lines this time, since I was never aware for how long I was playing. I ploughed through it in a week or so)

Glad to see you're tackling ML Alternative, btw. Just wait until the ending, and I'll assure you that it will become one of your favorite VN's ever.

upandaway

Yeah... it's that one. Even with spoiler tags I still don't like outright specifying things since it's still easy to see it by mistake.

Progressed a little bit.. and
the way they treated it made me feel a bit better about it. Usually the more sudden such an event is, the less realistically it's treated later, but everything that followed made it more bearable. I can handle it if it's like this. I've already felt plenty bad for Takeru in the beginning of MuvLuv Unlimited already, and his situation is very similar to Okabe's, not to mention the similarity of the whole setting to SnK, so I shouldn't be freaking out so much.

I just wish they stopped using the chewing sounds. Please.. stop.. using... the chewing sounds....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom