• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

(edit: aww new page, talking about chaos;head)

B route, HO-LY crap. I kinda, but not really, did I? But will, wait, how, well. My head. I can't believe they really did this. They got me good.
It's also crazy how a story can have this much... creative (for lack of better adjective) gore and violence yet still remain 100% in the concept of psychology. I'm still trying to recover from
the mana experiment, the skewer torture, and the pregnant man surgery.
so many VNs I played had this kinda thing here and there, but wow. Freaking B ending was nuts. Music was also really good.

Muntu, you said you wanted more from the PTSD arc in MLA right? well if you haven't played it, there it is. God dang. The whole game is basically that arc x100.

aravuus

Muntu, you said you wanted more from the PTSD arc in MLA right? well if you haven't played it, there it is. God dang. The whole game is basically that arc x100.

Oh wow, that sounds pretty fucked up lol. Guess it's time to start a new VN then! ... Right after I finish GTA V, of course.

I do remember reading some pretty negative stuff about C;H though, I guess it was only about the anime adaptation?

Oh wow, that sounds pretty fucked up lol. Guess it's time to start a new VN then! ... Right after I finish GTA V, of course.

I do remember reading some pretty negative stuff about C;H though, I guess it was only about the anime adaptation?

The anime is apparently terrible. The VN is pretty good, though I thought the last 1/3 of the game was the weakest part of it. I also never bothered seeing ending B because the skip function passed over delusion triggers, making it a gigantic pain in the ass to do it.

aravuus

Thought as much. VNDB's tag listing for it is making me excited,
paranoia, murder mystery, madness
? Sounds like it's right up my alley! I love me some crazy mysteries.

Which reminds me, Dangan Ronpa 2's translation patch is coming along painfully slowly. I'm in despair. I hope the SA let's player picks up his pace again, he's only a third through and he's been playing it for over 9 months already. Either way, it's gonna take a long while till I get to enjoy DR2 :(

upandaway

The anime is apparently terrible. The VN is pretty good, though I thought the last 1/3 of the game was the weakest part of it.
I assume you mean regarding AA, right?

The only things I can sorta take against C;H are
the concept of Di-Swords, and the few instances of annoying mob mentality that can't be explained by biorhythm manipulation.
Both of which are small and easy to ignore/accept. If C;H is regarded as some kind of terrible VN, then feel free to ignore me, I guess, cause I thought it was great.

I also never bothered seeing ending B because the skip function passed over delusion triggers, making it a gigantic pain in the ass to do it.
While playing, I made a list of where every trigger is (making it easy to skip and stop at that point), if you want I can post it. It's totally, completely worth it, especially if you haven't seen all delusions (they're amazing).

Which made me remember, regarding the delusions... probably my favorite part of the game. I wish every VN had that kind of mechanic! Burst out laughing so many times.

I assume you mean regarding AA, right?

The only things I can sorta take against C;H are
the concept of Di-Swords, and the few instances of annoying mob mentality that can't be explained by biorhythm manipulation.
Both of which are small and easy to ignore/accept. If C;H is regarded as some kind of terrible VN, then feel free to ignore me, I guess, cause I thought it was great.
Most of the flak comes via the terrible anime adaptation, the VN isn't regarded as terrible. I certainly enjoyed it.
While playing, I made a list of where every trigger is (making it easy to skip and stop at that point), if you want I can post it. It's totally, completely worth it, especially if you haven't seen all delusions (they're amazing).

Which made me remember, regarding the delusions... probably my favorite part of the game. I wish every VN had that kind of mechanic! Burst out laughing so many times.
I saw most of the delusions, and yeah, they were good. But I had some difficulty triggering the B ending, and gave up. It's too late for me to really care to see it, I'm not going to reinstall the game at this point.

upandaway

That's a bummer, B ending ties the whole thing together for me (don't wanna say any more that that). Oh well, keep it in mind if you ever come down on a replay in the future.

Out of curiosity I looked to see if it's on Youtube, and whoa, that's a very fast and easy way to get the ending spoiled for someone. I don't recommend for anyone to search for anything C;H on Youtube before finishing it

aravuus

Already had C;H apparently, so I decided to give it a try right away.

The main menu music is fucking fantastic. I love it. I hope the VN has lots more like this, all dark and gloomy and mysterious sounding.

Higurashi has been greenlit on Steam so that should be up sometime soonish.

Are these steam releases usually easily compatible with the old release tweaks? Cause OG Higurashi art is fuckin HORRIBLE. Yeah, I said it. Umineko isn't that great either but it sure was a step up and they grew on me. PS2 looks are a must for Higu IMO.

Nishastra

Banned
Are these steam releases usually easily compatible with the old release tweaks? Cause OG Higurashi art is fuckin HORRIBLE. Yeah, I said it. Umineko isn't that great either but it sure was a step up and they grew on me. PS2 looks are a must for Higu IMO.
"Usually" what? This is the first one to happen.

That said, I can't imagine Mangagamer is going to make any significant changes to it.

"Usually" what? This is the first one to happen.

That said, I can't imagine Mangagamer is going to make any significant changes to it.

I mean any games that get released on steam that have had releases before it. As in does Baldur's Gate mods work on the steam version ect. (bad example I know).

I mean fan mods, not mangagamer doing changes.

aravuus

And you still haven't tackled Umineko! Grr

I did! I stopped after an hour though and all kinds of stuff came up so I kind of forgot about it lol

I still have it in my backlog with Steins;Gate, Remember11 and a couple others.

I mean any games that get released on steam that have had releases before it. As in does Baldur's Gate mods work on the steam version ect. (bad example I know).

I don't think I've run into a single Steam release that didn't work with retail version mods.

upandaway

How bad is Higurashi in terms of horror/violence? I remember watching a bit of the anime years ago and realizing that it's not for me (after being scared out of my underwear), but who knows now, considering I was fine with C;H just now.

Already had C;H apparently, so I decided to give it a try right away.

The main menu music is fucking fantastic. I love it. I hope the VN has lots more like this, all dark and gloomy and mysterious sounding.
Yeah I thought the same thing, it brought me back to S;G for a while. All around the atmospheric music is really good.

While you're there, in case you're trying it out past the menu, lemme suggest that you minimize the window/shut your eyes/whatever when the opening video plays. I only checked it out after finishing the game and I'm glad I did.

I actually have some days off next week too and I planned on trying R11 if it wasn't too long and I was recovered mentally from C;H. Still thinking about it.

Nishastra

Banned

Unless Mangagamer does something weird, it'll be completely identical.

aravuus

While you're there, in case you're trying it out past the menu, lemme suggest that you minimize the window/shut your eyes/whatever when the opening video plays. I only checked it out after finishing the game and I'm glad I did.

Too late for that. Eh, at least I'm going through it as the writers intended :v

upandaway

Too late for that. Eh, at least I'm going through it as the writers intended :v
Haha now I have to assure you that it wasn't a big deal. It's just one thing that stays hidden for a while, but it's not even a big reveal or anything and heavily foreshadowed.

aravuus

Haha now I have to assure you that it wasn't a big deal. It's just one thing that stays hidden for a while, but it's not even a big reveal or anything and heavily foreshadowed.

Alright, that's good. I still kind of remember some anime shows ruining wham episodes with their intros, good to hear it's nothing huge.

e: so, green hallucinations are humorous and red are disturbing? gonna go with red all the way through then lol

In the second half, the plot kicks in and it is really stupid. The power of
singing
compels you!
At least you meet the main bad guy, but there is nothing much to him other than he is bad guy
. He talks pretty suave, I guess. Then there is the sex scene,
Clear's literally falling apart, but he wants to fuck before he dies
. :/ Well, I guess they had to insert a sex scene somewhere.

I like Clear (fan of
moebots,
comin' though), but the H scene was so weird. :/ is a pretty good emoticon to use there, since that was my face through the whole thing.

Overall I liked DMMD but looking back the writing and story was just all over the place.

upandaway

Alright, that's good. I still kind of remember some anime shows ruining wham episodes with their intros, good to hear it's nothing huge.

e: so, green hallucinations are humorous and red are disturbing? gonna go with red all the way through then lol
Some of the green delusions are.. definitely disturbing. Nothing to guarantee they'll be "positive", either. They really went all out with those things.

Dunan

I spotted the Vita game "Time Travelers", which I'd been meaning to play for a while, and picked it up. Pretty good so far, and I'm enjoying the references to other time travel stories.

(This is the first game I've played in which there are no visible trophies; every one of them is hidden! Got the first one for finishing Chapter 1; several dozen to go.)

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
Well Steins;Gate preorders are now up on J-List, for a winter 2014 release time period, so the same time as TiTS:FC on Steam.

$40 for the standard download edition, while $60 for the limited edition, which comes with a few random extras. Good to see it coming out fairly soon, excited to play it finally.
Steins;Gate on J-List

Edit: Keep in mind, I think the postage costs on J-List may be bugged, as normally, J-List give a flat fee for postage for preorders. Just saying, since it's $7.50 flat postage for preorders (I may be wrong, I know they did it for Yumina). You can always try the Jast Usa website.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Well Steins;Gate preorders are now up on J-List, for a winter 2014 release time period, so the same time as TiTS:FC on Steam.

$40 for the standard download edition, while $60 for the limited edition, which comes with a few random extras. Good to see it coming out fairly soon, excited to play it finally.
Steins;Gate on J-List

Thanks for the heads up. Free digital copy is great.

About Higurashi on Steam:
The Higurashi hard-copies were DRM free, so we don't plan on using our DRM for the Steam version at this time.
Actually our current download version of Higurashi on our site doesn't use Soft-Denchi either~
We only apply it for the developers who might feel insecure without one

That said, it might take a bit longer until you actually see Higurashi on steam
because now that we can get it on there and potentially receive more attention from a greater userbase,
we are looking into if re-editing Higurashi from our outdated translation is a possibility...
So no DRM and possibly an edited translation for the Steam version.

RocBase

Did Clear's route in DMMD a while ago, but didn't really give a review of it. I have to say I am pretty disappointed. If you aren't impressed by Clear's quirkiness you won't find much to like about this route. A lot of BL fans seemed to like him, but I don't see why, since his character is basically the
moe-blob robot that wants to be human
, except that he is of the opposite sex. I've seen ( and hated) this archetype so many times that I am pretty tired of it. This is basically what you deal with in the first half of the route.

In the second half, the plot kicks in and it is really stupid. The power of
singing
compels you!
At least you meet the main bad guy, but there is nothing much to him other than he is bad guy
. He talks pretty suave, I guess. Then there is the sex scene,
Clear's literally falling apart, but he wants to fuck before he dies
. :/ Well, I guess they had to insert a sex scene somewhere.

Yeah, I didn't like this route at all, and it is commonly hailed as one of the game's best routes. Second to Noiz's. Noiz's route is hella generic, but it is leaps and bounds better than this.

I am also starting on another VN called Swan Song, I was initially put off by the infantile female supporting character. But I gave it a chance, and it seems alright so far. Gonna be a lot of tearjerkers, that's for sure.

I like Clear (fan of
moebots,
comin' though), but the H scene was so weird. :/ is a pretty good emoticon to use there, since that was my face through the whole thing.

Overall I liked DMMD but looking back the writing and story was just all over the place.

Yeah it really is, and just like you I honestly still really enjoyed it. But that's largely all due to the characters (I personally also didn't take the game seriously at all, which is probably why I hated the true route so much as
Ren's existence is a reminder of how truly silly the game got and how serious it tried to pass off as being
) and from the looks of things this probably goes for a lot of others too. I find that the draw mostly all boils down to the charm of each character, so if you don't care for any of them then you'll likely have a hard time enjoying the game since the narrative gets rather weak, and doesn't totally do a good job of making the overabundance of concepts work (this especially goes for the true route): the beginning is engaging and even well setup, but it falls short once the route splits. They ultimately all kinda feel rushed, but Mink's was the only one to me which had any resemblance of a constructive pacing in the game. It's also why I don't really get how people can single out Mink's route on being faulty with the narration (the character development is another debate) but ultimately praise Clear's when it has just as many problems of its own.

Having said that I wouldn't necessarily say that the story itself is bad but more that the writing and construction made it a lot worse than it should've been. Sweet Pool has some really silly sounding concepts on paper and it took a while for me to get over my shitty sense of humour, but in the end they made it work really well. So I'm not sure how things ended up the way they did with DMMd.

Basically when looking at this game critically there was a lot of wasted potential, but even in its current form it's still largely fun just under a different metric. It could've been so much more though, and that does sadden me a little.

I'm seriously hoping Re:connect is better in terms of writing and editing (because as I understand it, the routes were written by different people and of course you need a good editor to stamp out inconsistencies and make sure everything is coherent). In the end I'll probably just be pleased to get more development for the characters I like.

Sometimes I feel a little depressed that colorful CGs, decent characters and good music are enough to make me slog through an entire VN with overall less-than-stellar story and writing.

---
On the (partly) OELVN side of things, there are a few demos out. Not sure if these have been mentioned in the thread yet.

Break Chance Memento
BL game, mystery, time travel stuff
http://bcm.cyanide-tea.net/

Destiny Fails Us
Otome, school life hijinks
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/destinyfailsus/destiny-fails-us-otome-game

The Substitute of Zeus
Otome, translated from Korean, haven't played it so don't know much about it
http://sub-of-zeus.tumblr.com/download

Fate/Knight Rhapsody
Otome, translation of a doujin game, fantasy/Arthurian legend
http://fate2013.weebly.com/index.html

aravuus

Chaos;Head's protagonist is an irritating dick. Which makes the VN weirdly satisfying, since he's having a shitty time for like 90% of it. Other than that though, it's been great.

e: I'm just hoping there won't be a lame ass
Matrix type
plot twist or something

e2: dick -> piece of shit lmao, i dislike him more and more all the time

Labrys

Which reminds me, Dangan Ronpa 2's translation patch is coming along painfully slowly. I'm in despair. I hope the SA let's player picks up his pace again, he's only a third through and he's been playing it for over 9 months already. Either way, it's gonna take a long while till I get to enjoy DR2 :(
I've went through 3 different let's plays just to get to Chapter 5, Onenronen's waaaaay far behind.
It's really good, though, I've been enjoying it a lot. Characters, plot, trials... everything is great.

aravuus

I've went through 3 different let's plays just to get to Chapter 5, Onenronen's waaaaay far behind.
It's really good, though, I've been enjoying it a lot. Characters, plot, trials... everything is great.

Oh there are more lol
Couldn't find any for whatever reason when I looked around a bit some time ago. Mind PM'ing me the ones you've been reading? If they are already on chapter 5, I think I'm gonna start reading them as soon as I finish C;H.

aravuus

Oh wow, got the
handy present from Shogun
in Chaos;Head, shit is starting to go down

Upandaway (or anyone who has done it), is the B playthrough completely different from the A one? At first I thought it was just a different chapter 10 or something but apparently it's not, I guess? Not sure if I have the time and/or patience to read it through twice, unfortunately. It has been great so far for sure, but I'm already 20 hours in according to the game and only on chapter 6.

e: still expecting a lame conclusion or reveal though. I can just see it being something like
the protag's imaginary world
or something lol

Labrys

Oh there are more lol
Couldn't find any for whatever reason when I looked around a bit some time ago. Mind PM'ing me the ones you've been reading? If they are already on chapter 5, I think I'm gonna start reading them as soon as I finish C;H.

Sure, I'll send them over.
The last one's actually finished with the game, I'm just on chapter 5 because I'm a slowpoke, ahaha.

upandaway

Oh wow, got the
handy present from Shogun
in Chaos;Head, shit is starting to go down

Upandaway (or anyone who has done it), is the B playthrough completely different from the A one? At first I thought it was just a different chapter 10 or something but apparently it's not, I guess? Not sure if I have the time and/or patience to read it through twice, unfortunately. It has been great so far for sure, but I'm already 20 hours in according to the game and only on chapter 6.

e: still expecting a lame conclusion or reveal though. I can just see it being something like
the protag's imaginary world
or something lol
It's just the ending, it breaks off from A/AA after the last delusion trigger.

If you're going through it looking at only one of the delusions/neither of them (which is also cool sometimes), going for the B ending is a good excuse to check out the other half. The skip mode is broken in that it doesn't stop at delusion triggers, which is a bummer, but like I said I wrote down a list of all triggers/where they are, so that could help with your replay.

By the way warning, don't try to save/load during chapter 7, with the English patch it crashes the game. You're fairly close to that point.

aravuus

It's just the ending, it breaks off from A/AA after the last delusion trigger.

If you're going through it looking at only one of the delusions/neither of them (which is also cool sometimes), going for the B ending is a good excuse to check out the other half. The skip mode is broken in that it doesn't stop at delusion triggers, which is a bummer, but like I said I wrote down a list of all triggers/where they are, so that could help with your replay.

By the way warning, don't try to save/load during chapter 7, with the English patch it crashes the game. You're fairly close to that point.
Ah, alright. Shouldn't be a problem in the least then. I'd love to see the list, would definitely make things a bit faster.

And thanks for the heads up, just got to chapter 7. Will probably be done with it before I go to bed so it shouldn't be a problem.

Finished the Meiya route and I guess I feel like one of my main grievances with MuvLuv (from my experience having played the Sumika and Meiya routes) is how little difference there is between each route in terms of what events you do and don't come across. Picking one girl or another amounts to slight differences in a few conversations, a different date scene, and a different ending scene with the rest of the events being the exact same. It honestly does not motivate me to branch out and finish the side routes of the other characters if this is all that I can ultimately expect.

That said, for what little differences there were between Meiya and Sumika, I have to say that I did wholeheartedly appreciate the pure absurdity that comes with anything involving Meiya and her interactions with a commoners way of life. I feel like I probably saved the best for last in this case. Oh well, off to Unlimited.

Edit : Oh my god, Takeru has a voice now!

upandaway

Finished the Meiya route and I guess I feel like one of my main grievances with MuvLuv (from my experience having played the Sumika and Meiya routes) is how little difference there is between each route in terms of what events you do and don't come across. Picking one girl or another amounts to slight differences in a few conversations, a different date scene, and a different ending scene with the rest of the events being the exact same. It honestly does not motivate me to branch out and finish the side routes of the other characters if this is all that I can ultimately expect.

That said, for what little differences there were between Meiya and Sumika, I have to say that I did wholeheartedly appreciate the pure absurdity that comes with anything involving Meiya and her interactions with a commoners way of life. I feel like I probably saved the best for last in this case. Oh well, off to Unlimited.

Edit : Oh my god, Takeru has a voice now!
The Meiya and Sumika routes are the two most similar ones. Everyone else branch out significantly earlier and have new characters/events, where Meiya and Sumika's difference is like the last half an hour. Still, with the exception of Kei (which still isn't that important), none of the other endings are relevant to the other games.

Ah, alright. Shouldn't be a problem in the least then. I'd love to see the list, would definitely make things a bit faster.

And thanks for the heads up, just got to chapter 7. Will probably be done with it before I go to bed so it shouldn't be a problem.
Wasn't sure if I should put it here but oh well, it's not too big

1. Daichi at school
2. With Nanami
3. Yua by the crosswalk
4. Yua in base
5. Yua looking at her bag in the park
6. In hospital remembering doctor
7. Seira dream in hospital
8. FES performance
9. Talking to knight-hart
10. With Sera
11. FES at school
12. Seira (just before Rimi comes in)
13. Phone call on roof
14. Empty store
15. Rimi in class
16. Sena inside the standing cart
17. Yua in cafe, during struggle
18. At the park with police
19. Fes in tunnel
20. School at start of ch5
21. Rimi in CD store
22. Holding Di-Sword in base
23. Right afterwards in base
24. Kozue near shoe racks
25. After earthquake in base
26. Sena in park
27. Calling Nanami in base
28. Top of O-Front, before seeing sword (ignoring delusions = extended scene + delusion 29)
29. Top of O-Front, after seeing sword (only if ignored 28)
30. Hospital at start of ch7
31. Bullied at school
32. Kozue outside of 107 station
33. Sena and Kozue outside
34. Rimi in base
35. Ayase's hospital room (empty)
36. Ayase in hospital
37. Rimi in hospital lobby
38. Rimi in front of base
39. Rimi at home
40. In front of cars
41. Seira at base
42. Hearing Nanami's voice at the base

There's an FAQ somewhere that says exactly what triggers you need to choose to get the B ending.
I really loved all of the delusions, so I saw all of them including what happens without any delusion, but if it's too much, you only technically need to see a quarter of those delusions for the B ending..

The Meiya and Sumika routes are the two most similar ones. Everyone else branch out significantly earlier and have new characters/events, where Meiya and Sumika's difference is like the last half an hour. Still, with the exception of Kei (which still isn't that important), none of the other endings are relevant to the other games.

That's reassuring. I'll probably go back and play them whenever I've progressed through Unlimited and Alternative.

cj_iwakura

I remember a lot of mistakes in Kai, but let's not exaggerate here. What they did to the OST is MUCH, much worse, on other hand.

I've seen words used entirely out of place, grammatical errors, and typos everywhere so far, and this is just in the demo. Any decent QA work would've caught most if not all these errors.

Tizoc

Song of Saya is excellent. I really enjoyed A Drug That Makes You Dream as well.

Mangagamer sells digital VNs. www.dlsite.com has some (like Hatoful Boyfriend), but most of them are in Japanese.

Thanks though I prefer to buy them in English, I am aware there are fan patches or the like that translate some VNs though.

Thanks though I prefer to buy them in English, I am aware there are fan patches or the like that translate some VNs though.

Hatoful Boyfriend is in English on dlsite (no patch needed) and they also have World End Economica. You can just search through the English tag to see what they have.

So a few questions:
1- What games from JAST's site are worth getting? I prefer to get the games digitally:
http://www.jastusa.com/shop/steins-gate.html

In this order:

Kana ~ Little Sister
Crescendo
Yume Miru Kusuri :: A Drug That Makes You Dream is good on one of the routes.

All three have 18+ scenes in them but the top two actually incorporate it into the story. One of Yume Miru Kusuri's route is a sex romp. The top two games will make you cry -- most especially Kana.

Raggie

Also, anyone have any feedback if Sakura Wars 5 for the ps2 is any good? I just bought it on a whim.

I loved it. As a sidenote, a lot of people seemed to be a bit down on it because there are long stretches between prompts to save, but you can in fact save anytime you want. Just press 'start'.

Tizoc

In this order:

Kana ~ Little Sister
Crescendo
Yume Miru Kusuri :: A Drug That Makes You Dream is good on one of the routes.

All three have 18+ scenes in them but the top two actually incorporate it into the story. One of Yume Miru Kusuri's route is a sex romp. The top two games will make you cry -- most especially Kana.

Thanks, speaking of DLSite, I set the search to English, but there seemed to be only a handful of games in English. Will read up about Hateful boy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom