• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there Visual Novel games that are a bit more interactive? Something akin to Hotel Dusk / Phoenix Wright.

Are the VN games in this Doujin bundle any good?

http://groupees.com/doujin

- Cafe 0 - The Drowned Mermaid
- Yousei
- Kansei
- Jisei
- Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos
- Cherry Tree High (I guess it sortof is a VN game?)

Are there Visual Novel games that are a bit more interactive? Something akin to Hotel Dusk / Phoenix Wright.

Are the VN games in this Doujin bundle any good?

http://groupees.com/doujin

- Cafe 0 - The Drowned Mermaid
- Yousei
- Kansei
- Jisei
- Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos
- Cherry Tree High (I guess it sortof is a VN game?)

I know there are some VN that mixes JPRG or SRPG elements, like this one:

http://vndb.org/v74

Lol was gonna ask for the same bundle.

I read a Cafe 0 review saying it was decent, just take into account is an Otome game. I was going to deep into Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos, the trailer looked interesting.

Dysfunctional Systems was enjoyable. Being part one of a larger game, it was very short. Dischan (the makers of that game) have made a free short vn called Juniper's Knot that you can check out.

Cherry Tree High is basically Persona 3/4 with the dungeon stuff cut out. (Ok so those games aren't the first to have that kind of gameplay, but I'm failing at coming up with other ones)

I haven't played anything else in the bundle yet.

cj_iwakura

I'm playing the Higurashi demo right now. If I buy the full version afterward(which is almost a given knowing how 07th games get started), will I be able to start from chapter 2?

Wow, I enjoyed DMMD a TON. Liked the characters (for the most part, Mink doesn't really even get a place on my scale), the story had enough twists to keep me into it, and although the music was kind of boring overall I did like that each character basically got a theme song. Clear and Noiz were my favorites.

Available since march or april I think, the patch is quite good. Noiz is quite cute indeed, I personnaly like those "obnoxious" kids, the little brother voice is so cute and the interaction between Noiz and the sister is quite funny, you will learn to love them ^_^

Okay, so they grew on me a little.
The girl giving Noiz a love letter was the cutest thing.

ALSO, there's a demo for Yumina the Ethereal up at JAST's site. It does have at least one H-scene in it, so be warned.

Christine Love's stuff is decent. But be warned that they are very preachy and suffer from really low production values. They are essentially email reading games with little art or sound.

Kainazzo

With the patch out, I've been trying Grisaia no Kajitsu. I've played off and on for the past three weeks and still haven't come to a choice point yet. Is this just a really long VN, or do they keep everyone together and you make 1 choice at the very end? So far it's been like a series of disjointed episodes, though it has a done a good job of gradually introducing the characters.

While the MC needs to tone down his dick-itude, I'm going to guess Chiruchiru's also a secret agent.

Marche90

It's long, but not that long. I played it for a week before it threw me the first branching point.

The MC gets a bit better in the individual routes. Also, nope, none of the girls are anything of the sort.

Changing themes, Yumina gets released next week, and I'm still unsure of getting it. I might have to try the demo after all...

Kainazzo

It's long, but not that long. I played it for a week before it threw me the first branching point.

The MC gets a bit better in the individual routes. Also, nope, none of the girls are anything of the sort.

Darn, I thought her aloofness was just her having fun trying to be someone else...though that may still be the case.

I've just passed the point where Chiru had her first chest pain episode; slightly after overdosing on Vitamin A. About how far would you say I am?

Grisaia is long, overly in my opinion. But there aren't many choices. Really just a yes/no choice for branching off into a particularly heroine's route and one choice in each route for a good/bad end split.

The MC is one of the weak points in the VN. Apparently they save most of his characterization for the sequels, because he's pretty dull and detached in this one. The VN as a whole is pretty disjointed, the lack of cohesion doesn't really get any better when it gets serious (partially due to having several writers), I actually think the VN is at its best when it's just a bunch of random comedy vignettes.

Kainazzo

Grisaia is long, overly in my opinion. But there aren't many choices. Really just a yes/no choice for branching off into a particularly heroine's route and one choice in each route for a good/bad end split.

The MC is one of the weak points in the VN. Apparently they save most of his characterization for the sequels, because he's pretty dull and detached in this one. The VN as a whole is pretty disjointed, the lack of cohesion doesn't really get any better when it gets serious (partially due to having several writers), I actually think the VN is at its best when it's just a bunch of random comedy vignettes.

Huh, so there are sequels too? Interesting. Overall I am enjoying this VN, so if I stay attached I might as well try those out too. May try making them my first pure Japanese ones.

Blusby

Haha you guys serious? JuicyYuuji is by the far the most interesting and entertaining character in this game besides (Only read if you finished Amane's route)
...Kazuki...

This game is just too stupid for his own good.

sengoku3_01.png

sengoku3_02.png

Ninja Art: Why is this so fun ?

And suzume is deadly lovely

For those not aware sabikiga ( featured in screens above ) is a side story for sengoku rance that was translated by the rance team it seems.
It's a side story featuring suzume , kanami & senhime set between sengoku rance and rance quest.

It's a small game , you can finish it in 90minutes but it has several hidden events for the player to discover.

Gameplay is more like a rpg than a tactical adventure game like sengoku rance but overall it was a nice side story.. Recommanded for anyone who enjoy Rance world and/or characters.

Prelude.

Did we ever get an official reason on why the "scientific adventure" series never* came out of Japan? Especially Steins;Gate (and its sequels) and Robotics;Notes since they're now also on Vita.
I mean, S;G's anime is pretty popular even in the west so it probably would make sense for a small(ish) company like NISA to show some love towards "pure" visual novels on consoles localizing a fairly popular franchise.

I searched on the NISA forums and I found a thread on the game request section and this is what they said:
We've actually looked into these in the past, and for a number of reasons I can't really go into, we determined it wasn't going to be a possibility for us. Sorry :(

So, maybe is because of Nitroplus/5pb.?

I know that S;G is coming out on PC but that doesn't count since they've waited until now for a fan translation and the pc port is pretty garbagy.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
US version of S;G runs on a new engine and has new features added to it so the bugginess could be taken care of. Also it is probably because of Nitro Plus or 5pb since when I was talking to Peter at AX he kinda mentioned how much of a pain Nitro Plus is when I was asking him questions about the US release of S;G.

Prelude.

Well, it's pretty sad that the Vita games will most likely never get localized. I'd literally buy one right now for them, it seems like a perfect match. (I'll eventually do the same when Danganronpa comes out, anyway)

I guess learning advanced moonspeak is the only way.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well the PS3 versions existence was leaked by a localization company so it was probably looked into, but considering how much time has passed it might have fell through.

Finished the Sumika route in Muv-Luv (Not Alternative) and am sort of confused as to why this VN gets such a bad rep. I can grant that a good portion of the middle dragged on but I found the overall product to be a "fun" read with some genuinely funny parts peppered in throughout. I jumped into it because I didn't want to play Alternative without having played the original but I can't say that I regret taking the time to go through it despite that. Is it the best VN I've ever read? Far from it, but I really don't think it deserves the bad rep that it gets despite that. We'll see if my opinion changes if / when I bother with the non "main" routes.

Demonbane on the other hand, that game deserves a bad reputation.

gokieks

Finished the Sumika route in Muv-Luv (Not Alternative) and am sort of confused as to why this VN gets such a bad rep. I can grant that a good portion of the middle dragged on but I found the overall product to be a "fun" read with some genuinely funny parts peppered in throughout. I jumped into it because I didn't want to play Alternative without having played the original but I can't say that I regret taking the time to go through it despite that. Is it the best VN I've ever read? Far from it, but I really don't think it deserves the bad rep that it gets despite that. We'll see if my opinion changes if / when I bother with the non "main" routes.

It really depends on what the reader/player expects from a VN. You probably just have a much higher tolerance for generic harem VN tropes than many others.

Nishastra

Banned
Yeah, I agree. It's thoroughly mediocre, but a lot of people act as if it's some kind of torture that must be endured.

gokieks

Yeah, I agree. It's thoroughly mediocre, but a lot of people act as if it's some kind of torture that must be endured.

Well, "torture" is probably too harsh a word, but there's no doubt that it is something that you suffer through to get to the good parts of Muv Luv - and the difference in quality between MLE and MLA (or even MLU) is pretty astounding.

Basically compared to generic harem dating sim VNs, MLE is average or mediocre. Compared to MLA, it's kind of terrible (even if intentionally so).

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
So...what's GAF's opinion on Muv Luv ?

Muv Luv - dumb and stupid harem bullshit
Muv Luv Unlimited (extra mode after muv luv) - Going somewhere, but still soso
Muv Luv Alternative - OMFG Amazing, one of the must play VN

You need to finish Muv Luv and Unlimited to fully appreciate Alternative, so if you have a lot of time on your head I suggest playing it. Just finish both main character route in Muv Luv, Unlimited once, and move on to alternative. Don't worry about skipping some of the events in Muv Luv, there are a lot of useless crap.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well thinking about either combining the text within the images for the OP revision or getting rid of the translation status post in lieu of more titles to put up.

I'd also like to ask peoples recommendations to put in the OP so it's not just a random mishmash of things although there will be a few to keep things interesting.
Note: Recommend only translated titles for this please since that is what the topic is for and no obvious ones that will be in the OP anyways. (VLR, 999, AA, Saya no Uta.)

aravuus

MMMhhh to suffer through 2 mediocre visual novels to enjoy a good one, what to do ?

I personally didn't think it was worth the effort, but I'd say you should go for it. The first two are pretty fast reads anyway.

And so horrible you want to read through them really fast anyway.

Marche90

I think this doesn't need to be stated again, but YMMV, as seen a few posts before.

On topic: I've been playing Yumina on an off for a while (was playing SMTIV before, I'm still on chapter 4). It's pretty decent, but you'll definitely enjoy more the game with a gamepad. Plugged in my sixaxis to the pc, and it definitely moved along faster than just using a mouse or the touchpad of the laptop.

I'm starting Umineko no Naku Koro ni. I've only seen the Higurashi When they Cry anime. (Both original and Kai)

I hope I'm correct in guessing that prior knowledge of the other VNs isn't especially necessary to understand this one. Seeing as it's an entirely different cast & setting. Right?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm starting Umineko no Naku Koro ni. I've only seen the Higurashi When they Cry anime. (Both original and Kai)

I hope I'm correct in guessing that prior knowledge of the other VNs isn't especially necessary to understand this one. Seeing as it's an entirely different cast & setting. Right?

Yeah it's standalone with some little references to Higurashi so you'll just miss some fan service here and there.

Short answer : Yeah you don't need knowledge of the previous series as you'll only miss blink-it-you'll-miss-it references in Umineko.
Long answer : You don't need knowledge but (spoilers for Umineko like seriously don't read that if you don't want to be spoiled)
Umineko and Higurashi are definitely set in the same multiverse, if that even means something. There are important recurring characters and it is strongly implied that Bernkastel from Umineko is the same as Higurashi, and two witches are implied to have participated in Higurashi. With that said the "parallel universes" (fragments/kakera) of Higurashi and Umineko bear no relation to each other.
Basically the whole "When they Cry" series is about Witches, immortal being, who create twisted "games" to cure their boredom.
Cool. I hope this game satisfies my need for a good murder mystery. After enjoying Danganronpa, I've been in the mood for some more good mysteries.
I LOVE Umineko but if you're expecting something similar to Dangan Ronpa (which I greatly enjoyed too) you're going to be disappointed. No conventionnal murder mysteries, no (easy and clear) resolutions, trickery and plain WTF things that make you question R07's sanity. I can see what he wanted to do as a meta-story about murder mysteries, but it's too ambitious for its own good, and many of the mysteries aren't resolved in a satisfying fashion, and are left open to intepretation. In a nutshell, the build-up is hugely superior to the payoff.
But only for the Episodes 4 and 5 Umineko deserves to be read. Plus, dat music.

OnFire331

It's always great to see people writing about their playthrough of the Muv-Luv trilogy, it has some moments that I love seeing the reaction of, and it compensates the fact that I'll never experience it for the first time again.

So...what's GAF's opinion on Muv Luv ?

I enjoyed the original Muv-Luv for what it is, a 6-7/10 VN. Muv-Luv Alternative might just be the best VN I've read, maybe because I love the sci-fi/mecha genre.

OnFire331

Why's no one recommending stuff for InfiniteNine's OP. I wish I could but I didn't really read anything not famous.

I'd suggest using /vg/'s recommendation chart as a base for updating the OP. I think it has almost every worthwhile translated PC VNs in there, and it states the amount of sexual content (if it has any) a VN has for reference too. It'd only be missing non-PC VNs and additions that GAF members might suggest.

Marche90

Why's no one recommending stuff for InfiniteNine's OP. I wish I could but I didn't really read anything not famous.

Honestly? I've been lazy. Maybe I will after I return from college today, since I need to check my VN list to see what the hell I've read, and I tend to forget most of them :lol

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
Just randomly listing things for the OP.
  1. Tomoyo After
  2. Never7
  3. Yumina the Ethereal
  4. Little Busters
  5. Rewrite
  6. Air (a fully edited version is close to competion)
  7. Eien no Aselia
  8. Grisai no Kajitsu
  9. Cross Channel
  10. Kana - Little Sister
  11. Crescendo (ehh, not so sure about this)
  12. Kara no Shoujo
Steins;Gate might have a chance of coming out within a year, supposedly pre-orders will start once Jast decide what will be in the LE, which hopeuflly will be done either mid this month, or the end of the month.

Also, anyone have any feedback if Sakura Wars 5 for the ps2 is any good? I just bought it on a whim.
Plus anyone who ordered a physical edition of Yumina get their copy yet?

Also, anyone have any feedback if Sakura Wars 5 for the ps2 is any good? I just bought it on a whim.

Bought it for the Wii, didn't play for very long (4-5 hours tops) but I enjoyed what I played. The "battles" (in mechas) were a little simple, but maybe that was because it was the tutorial fight. Also, I really like the timed answers mechanic as you can't ponder what you want to say, just like in real life.

upandaway

Just started Chaos;Head, and, well... yeah, calm down there game. I think that was
the womanizer dude who got killed
? and if that's it, well, yeah I sure didn't expect that to happen
literally 1 hour into it
MC's insecurities are through the roof, too, it's more like otaku shaming than otaku pandering.

edit: aaand completely ignored, hahaha

androvsky

[*]Air (a fully edited version is close to competion)
I bought the Dreamcast version when I was in Japan, still haven't played it. Hopefully there's a patch... oh wait, DC discs are a pain to rip. :(
Plus anyone who ordered a physical edition of Yumina get their copy yet?
Sakura Wars games in general are great. 5 is pretty bad for a Sakura Wars game, with a slightly blander story and worse characters than usual. But it's still fun and absolutely worth playing. There's a Japanese anime vision of Harlem from the 1920's in there if that helps. ;) What 5 has over the earlier games is better production values and game mechanics (for the most part).

Anyone hear anything about the Sakura Wars 1 PC fan translation in the last year or so?

upandaway

Man, C;H is pretty exhausting to read (
Takumi's social anxiety + the light horror elements
is something I'm not too good with), but it's really good. I'm loving it so far. I could use less vague Japanese-y metaphors, though, haha.

and the most exhausting thing is that it's been about 20 hours now of pure question upon question with not a single answer

edit 2: welp, that's what i get for wanting answers.
just got to the mana experiment. not looking forward to the nightmares i'll be having

edit 3: done
that got extremely badass towards the end there! di-swords in general were a bit silly, but all in all that was great. can definitely see similarity to S;G, though the way all the answers came in one boom at the end was different.
fitting name, haha. it really screwed with my head for a while, and takumi's suffering, phew. okabe and takeru got off easy compared to him.

still some unanswered stuff, like the missing building from the group dive video, and whatever happened at the staking, but oh well, there's another ending but who knows.

Did Clear's route in DMMD a while ago, but didn't really give a review of it. I have to say I am pretty disappointed. If you aren't impressed by Clear's quirkiness you won't find much to like about this route. A lot of BL fans seemed to like him, but I don't see why, since his character is basically the
moe-blob robot that wants to be human
, except that he is of the opposite sex. I've seen ( and hated) this archetype so many times that I am pretty tired of it. This is basically what you deal with in the first half of the route.

In the second half, the plot kicks in and it is really stupid. The power of
singing
compels you!
At least you meet the main bad guy, but there is nothing much to him other than he is bad guy
. He talks pretty suave, I guess. Then there is the sex scene,
Clear's literally falling apart, but he wants to fuck before he dies
. :/ Well, I guess they had to insert a sex scene somewhere.

Yeah, I didn't like this route at all, and it is commonly hailed as one of the game's best routes. Second to Noiz's. Noiz's route is hella generic, but it is leaps and bounds better than this.

I am also starting on another VN called Swan Song, I was initially put off by the infantile female supporting character. But I gave it a chance, and it seems alright so far. Gonna be a lot of tearjerkers, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom