• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

I'm probably right in saying Remember11 also has all kinds of mind-fuckery going on? It was the one Uchikoshi work that had a bit of an open ending, right? I think I came across a site dedicated to speculating the ending or something.

Started reading it, let's see if I'll make it to the end. Long VNs are (almost) always hard to finish.

Burnburn

Enjoy.

It's not as good as the VN stuff, but still worth reading.

Thanks! Will read it when I have some more time.

I'm probably right in saying Remember11 also has all kinds of mind-fuckery going on? It was the one Uchikoshi work that had a bit of an open ending, right? I think I came across a site dedicated to speculating the ending or something.

Started reading it, let's see if I'll make it to the end. Long VNs are (almost) always hard to finish.

You're in for a hell of a ride. Remember11 mindfucks you from the beginning and doesn't let go. Maybe the reason why I like this game so much, it's on a constant high, unlike some of the other work he has put out (I'm looking at you Ever 17). It has some truly amazing ideas, definitely Uchikoshi's greatest work.

Yes the ending is open, but I found it to be fitting. When the game ends I sat there, mouth open for 10 minutes trying to grasp what the hell just happened.

Also that site you have come across, if I'm correct it's this one? If you manage to complete the game, I highly recommend reading it.

aravuus

You're in for a hell of a ride. Remember11 mindfucks you from the beginning and doesn't let go. Maybe the reason why I like this game so much, it's on a constant high, unlike some of the other work he has put out (I'm looking at you Ever 17). It has some truly amazing ideas, definitely Uchikoshi's greatest work.

Yes the ending is open, but I found it to be fitting. When the game ends I sat there, mouth open for 10 minutes trying to grasp what the hell just happened.

Also that site you have come across, if I'm correct it's this one? If you manage to complete the game, I highly recommend reading it.

Yeah, I think that's the site. Thanks, I'll bookmark it.

It's nice to hear it'll fuck with you right from the beginning. The horrible romantic routes were the reason I gave Ever17 "only" a nine on VNDB. Sure, 999 also left the big guns till the end, but at least the characters were fantastic and all the nonary game stuff was really interesting.

I honestly think VLR may be my favorite Uchikoshi work of the three because it starts throwing all these crazy twists at you almost right away. Let's see if Remember11 changes that. You got me excited, that's for sure.

upandaway

So since I'm going to be holding off on F/SN until my group watch of F/Z is complete, can you guys recommend me another VN to try out?

I've played Ever 17 (zzz... OHMYGOD), 999 (loved), VLR (loved), Hotel Dusk (loved), Last Window (loved), and Trace Memory (enjoyed). Was looking at Umineko When they cry and Higurashi when they cry cause they seem up my alley.

I'm more interested in murder mystery, mind = blown ala Ever 17, or something ala F/SN even if I've not played F/SN lol.
Not much to add after everyone but do post some spoiler-free impressions for Higurashi/Umineko when you're done, I'm interested and fresh reactions are always nice.

Irritating, I have a week-long holiday but I'm not around the PC I have Chaos;Head on. Maybe I'll start reading Remember11.
Same for you about Remember11! Bummer about Chaos;Head (same bummer about any big break from a VN right before the end) but oh well, I'm happy you like it.

aravuus

Same for you about Remember11! Bummer about Chaos;Head (same bummer about any big break from a VN right before the end) but oh well, I'm happy you like it.

Yeah, especially when it's so hard to go back to it after such a long break. And when I do get back to my apartment, the first couple of days are probably gonna be nothing but uni assignments.. Oh well. But yeah, it's been a good read. After your reaction I really can't wait to see the B ending :lol

Anyway, Remember11 really doesn't take long until it starts piling those mysteries on you. Fuck yeah Uchikoshi, can't stop reading!

e: holy SHIT with these
consciousness switches, mini cliffhangers all the time!
AHH

Been on a bit of a VN bender lately starting with finally getting around to playing Virtue's Last Reward which completely took me over and wouldn't let go until I had finished it.

After that I got my copy of Saya no Uta in the mail from RightStuf. This was another one that gripped me from the very beginning. I was a bit disappointed by its length and alternate paths, but short and sweet is better than one padded to hell. My favorite ending was
Koji's. That one seemed to fit best for me and gave me the most feels.

I wanted something dark again similar to Saya no Uta and ended up playing Kara no Shoujo which I'm still playing through. I was sold on this when I found out there were investigation segments similar to Hotel Dusk or Phoenix Wright. I've been enjoying this one quite a bit, though it does feel a bit slow after the breakneck speed of VLR and Saya no Uta. I also got dragged into a couple of the bad endings last night which sort of dampened the experience. It turned out I didn't click a corpse in the correct sequence which prevented me from getting a certain piece of evidence and then a couple hours later when I needed it there was nothing I could do. Quite a bizarre decision to screw the player like that, but oh well, thankfully there is a fast forward button huh.

I'll most likely play Phenomeno next for Halloween!

Alright, heads up: Groupees is doing a second Build a Doujin Bundle in six and a bit hours' time, and the games come in two flavours: bullet hell shumps and visual novels. Specifically, Haloful Boyfriend (yes, that pigeon dating game) and Higurashi When They Cry.

Gazoinks

Alright, heads up: Groupees is doing a second Build a Doujin Bundle in six and a bit hours' time, and the games come in two flavours: bullet hell shumps and visual novels. Specifically, Haloful Boyfriend (yes, that pigeon dating game) and Higurashi When They Cry.

Oh, that's awesome. If only I had money, I want both of those.

(For anyone interested in Hatoful and who doesn't mind being spoiled, I recommend reading Angie Gallant's LPs if you haven't seen 'em. The rabbit hole goes DEEP.)

cj_iwakura

Picked up Higurashi. Demo save carried over too! (Nope, didn't work.)

Patch time. I'm good with just fixing the music, I like Ryukishi's OG expressions(though god, those hands... come on guy).

Are there any glaring music omissions in chapter 1 that I might have missed?

And any particular patch that's favorable? I picked the original music one.

Also, are there only three episodes? Or is the fourth unlockable? I'm used to Umineko showing 4 from the start.

Patches applied. New music is phenomenal. Not sure about the 'remove box' patch, since I can't seem to save without it...

Uh, so the music before. Was that done by MG, or 07th?

aravuus

Absolutely loving Remember11, can't stop reading it.

I'm maybe halfway through Kokoron's route (just started day 5 I think), and I'm absolutely loving her character. Perfect combination of smart and dumb, emotional and rational. This may come out as boasting or whatever, but she acts a lot like I imagine I myself would act in her situation.

And the twists, and the mysteries, and the mini cliffhangers... SOOO GOOOOOOD

e: there's this one irritating thing though.
oh, who should hold onto our very last rations? hey, obviously the one with the alleged did! i knew this'd come up later again

Burnburn

Absolutely loving Remember11, can't stop reading it.

I'm maybe halfway through Kokoron's route (just started day 5 I think), and I'm absolutely loving her character. Perfect combination of smart and dumb, emotional and rational. This may come out as boasting or whatever, but she acts a lot like I imagine I myself would act in her situation.

And the twists, and the mysteries, and the mini cliffhangers... SOOO GOOOOOOD

e: there's this one irritating thing though.
oh, who should hold onto our very last rations? hey, obviously the one with the alleged did! i knew this'd come up later again

Yes, feed me the impressions!

I don't know if this is spoiler material, probably not, but regarding the ration:
The choices you've made determine who gets to hold on to the ration

aravuus

Yes, feed me the impressions!

I don't know if this is spoiler material, probably not, but regarding the ration:
The choices you've made determine who gets to hold on to the ration

Oh, alright!

Guess I was a bit further in than I thought, just got Kokoro's ending..
What the fuck is literally all I can say. Just... What. I'm speechless. This is beyond anything I was expecting. This is just too weird. "I'm confused" is putting it lightly.

I know I can't expect too many questions to be answered, but please Uchikoshi, at least the answer the massive ones... Why is there an ocean? Who in the hell is Yuni? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON???

I'm gonna start Satoru's route right away!

e: oh yeah, these are positive impressions :lol
i know i usually hate unanswered questions but this is really fucking great

e2: Burnburn,
prepare me for the ending: is it weirder and more abrupt than Kokoro's ending was? Around as weird and inexplicable? A bit less?

Burnburn

Oh, alright!

Guess I was a bit further in than I thought, just got Kokoro's ending..
What the fuck is literally all I can say. Just... What. I'm speechless. This is beyond anything I was expecting. This is just too weird. "I'm confused" is putting it lightly.

I know I can't expect too many questions to be answered, but please Uchikoshi, at least the answer the massive ones... Why is there an ocean? Who in the hell is Yuni? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON???

I'm gonna start Satoru's route right away!

e: oh yeah, these are positive impressions :lol
i know i usually hate unanswered questions but this is really fucking great

e2: Burnburn,
prepare me for the ending: is it weirder and more abrupt than Kokoro's ending was? Around as weird and inexplicable? A bit less?

First off, the understanding of the ending depends on you getting a certain bad ending. This ending is needed to get... 20% of the ending.
Satoru's
ending is atleast just as abrupt, maybe even more, I think that's the problem most people have with it. It's not really as inexplicable as Kokoro's ending, just abrupt and keeps you hanging on some subjects. The ending doesn't really give any closure.
Satoru's
route gives you a lot of answers, just not all of them. So you could say; the ending raises questions, but not nearly as much as Kokoro's ending

aravuus

Alright, thanks, sounds fine then. How do I get the particularly important bad ending? I'm reading with this walkthrough, so you can just say "choose option *yaddayadda* at Satoru's question #24" or something.

Quixzlizx

It might be a good idea to make a thread for this so I will.

For Higurashi, is this the full game or the first few chapters or whatever? Do you think we'll get Steam keys when it releases?

I wish I had noticed when the first Groupees doujin bundle was being offered, since the list of games seemed to be much more comprehensive.

Burnburn

Alright, thanks, sounds fine then. How do I get the particularly important bad ending? I'm reading with this walkthrough, so you can just say "choose option *yaddayadda* at Satoru's question #24" or something.

It's Satoru's #57, DON'T READ THAT ONE RIGHT NOW, massive spoiler. Choose any option except the right one. When you're on day 7, read #56, and when you get to that number it's safe to check #57

aravuus

It's Satoru's #57, DON'T READ THAT ONE RIGHT NOW, massive spoiler. Choose any option except the right one. When you're on day 7, read #56, and when you get to that number it's safe to check #57

Alright great, thanks. I don't really have too much to do for a couple of days so I should be finished with R11 by Saturday. Exciting!

Just started harukoi otome prologue ..i know this is a prologue and everything but the thing lack ... "premise" ? intensity ? comedy ?

There is nothing wrong with it but still ...why does this bore me so much ?

Marche90

Just started harukoi otome prologue ..i know this is a prologue and everything but the thing lack ... "premise" ? intensity ? comedy ?

There is nothing wrong with it but still ...why does this bore me so much ?

It's exactly as you put it. There is absolutely nothing remarkable about that one. Also, ALL the routes follow the exact same pattern. Don't expect to be surprised, because you won't.

cj_iwakura

For Higurashi, is this the full game or the first few chapters or whatever? Do you think we'll get Steam keys when it releases?

It's the first half, the question arc. I think. It doesn't seem to have part four though...

And I highly doubt it to your second question.

It's exactly as you put it. There is absolutely nothing remarkable about that one. Also, ALL the routes follow the exact same pattern. Don't expect to be surprised, because you won't.

You're not helping .. i was hoping for a "it'll pick up later" comment , but as of now i trully have no desire to continue it's so standard, so classic , so unintreting it almost hurts.

Heck i'd give it 1 more hours before i delete this game. maybe i should had picked something else with my money.

I decided to play the fan translated version of Danganronpa thanks to a combo of modding my PSP finally and a buddy I know importing it awhile back. Thankfully I start my new job Monday so once I get some bills paid I can finally pick up some of the games that looked interesting that we discussed last page woo!

Before I post my thoughts on the game, I'll post my thoughts on the fan translation/localization. There were a LOT of western joke/memes/references thrown all over the place which I assume was to replace similar style Japanese jokes that wouldn't have translated into English at all. At first I thought it was cute the way whenever Ace Attorney does it it's pretty entertaining, but when every other scene had this it got pretty repetitive. It's hard to know if this was a result of the translation or the translators being stuck with too many Japanese jokes to fix but it stood out and distracted me. Onto the actual game

Danganronpa is another game that is attempting to blur the lines between visual novel and adventure game and sadly finds itself waffling between the two. The game is at it's strongest when it's just full on VN mode with sharp writing and a unique cast of characters that play off each other well. Where the game struggles is the adventure part, exploring the school is boring half the rooms never have anything in them and outside of murder investigations there's never anything interesting to find. The game gives you the ability to warp, but honestly they'd been better off just allowing you to pick from a list of rooms or characters instead of having you warp or walk. This just pads the games length and keeps you from the dialogue longer then it should. Free time where you can "bond" with the students is also flawed as most of the development they get adds nothing to the overall narrative, it's just a thing other VNs do so this game felt compelled to include them. Who you interact with and get to know better has zero impact on who lives or dies and is simply there to give you added skills for the court sections.

Investigating the crimes is actually enjoyable, the game thankfully marks which rooms have clues in them and won't let you leave until you acquire them all, and half the time it'll just flat out jump you to the room you need to investigate. Sadly everything kind of falls apart in the court sections. In an attempt to spice up the gameplay court sections are made up of 4 different kinds of gameplay and none of them work. The main gameplay mechanic is the rapid-fire debates which are a classic example of good on paper bad in execution. The game will give you pieces of evidence and the characters will talk having text fly over the screen, occasionally showing an off color text which the game dubs "weak points". Often blocking these weak points is other characters minor comments that you must shoot with the x button into order to clear a path to these weak points. You then find the weakest weak point and OBJECTION it with your evidence. The first problem with this is that your cursor automatically moves all over the place, combined with moving text leads to a lot of missed shots unless you take advantage of slo-mo which hurts your score/rating (if you care about that). The other problem is that sometimes none of your evidence is good enough and you must convert other characters weak points into ammo and fire it at another weak point. This creates a hilarious system of taking later points in an argument then time traveling backwards to object with them. The debate also always moves forward, so if you missed your shot due to the cursor or a dumb extra comment, you have to wait the whole debate over again for another shot. Finally you can't check what your evidence says during these events. All this combined often leaves the player knowing what the contradiction is, but with no idea how the game expects you to present it, and even when you do half the time you miss or get blocked by some floating comment.

The second main gameplay in trials is the Epiphany, where a word is on the tip of the main characters tongue and you need to shoot the letters in the correct order to spell out the word. Again the letters come flying in all kinds of directions and you have to shoot each one multiple times for it to count and be added to the word you're spelling. Shots that miss again hurt your health meter and score, and the slow down power is borderline worthless here. Another problem is if you don't know what random specific word the game wants you to spell, you end up feeling pretty SOL.

The third type of trial gameplay is by far the worst and that's the machine gun debate. Basically the main character goes 1 on 1 in a rhythm style game that is both incredibly difficult and laughably easy. The game's tutorial doesn't explain at all how the game works. It shows you shapes flying at a circle saying x targets accusations, triangle destroys them, and square reloads. You start playing waiting for the shapes to show up and get a game over. In reality the game doesn't show you the shapes, it expect you to free form your own combo of the three buttons to shoot down the growing accusations in the background making it feel more like rhythm of the dead where accusations are zombies. Instead of having slow mo you basically have instant win powers where the rhythm timing goes out the window and you have infinite bullets so you can just spam x and triangle until you win. In the end you silence your opponent by firing the "kill shot" evidence that proves your claims as correct... which you should have been able to do in the first place. The whole mode is pure padding that adds nothing to the game and should have been cut.

The final gameplay type is probably my favorite and that's the climax manga where you piece together the crime using manga panels. These panels are represented by little circle drawings that you paste into an incomplete story. The problem here is that often times the little circles meant to show each manga panel can be unclear as to what action is taking place. You can click the empty space to get a hint, but this only helps so much. When the game asks for a panel that shows "the killer and victim struggled" which of the 3 circles of the killer and victim fighting is meant to show struggling? Overall though this is probably the gameplay type that does work the best.

I will say the music is superb, great sound track best part of the game. The only reason I put up with the trial sections was due to how bad ass the music was. The Epiphany song in particular was incredible.

So now that I've ragged about the gameplay forever, how is the actual story? It's kind of all over the place though I would say it's enjoyable. The characters are all unique and generally likeable that you don't want to see them die and you don't want to believe they're killing each other off. The writing also does a good job of making each characters death generally pretty shocking when they happen. Most of the murders themselves are pretty easy to figure out, though the ride to their solutions is always enjoyable. The finale leaves a lot to be desired though, the actual answers to why everything is going on and what caused this situation are so lazily slapped together or riddled with plot holes you could drive a truck through them. The game tries to hand wave and joke "lol it's not important" but I don't appreciate that kind of crap regardless of it's trying to be played for laughs.

From here on out is spoiler territory WOO

I thought it was pretty obvious early on that some kind of disaster had rocked the world and the students were locked up for their own safety or in some VR reality. When the photos of dead people happy started showing up I had hope the cast were still alive... alas it wasn't meant to be.

How exactly did a natural disaster cause some kind of 'despair' plague to infect the whole world? It's The Happening level of dumb writing that killed my enjoyment. Also how exactly did 'despair' taking over the world mean everyone is now wearing Monokuma masks? Why do all the statues and world famous buildings have Monokuma faces? The game seems to imply the despair group caused the incident that's infecting the outside world, but we don't see that. Heck the despair group is made up of only two twin girls who somehow took over the school, stole peoples memories (never explained), and killed off the head master and any other adults who happened to be living in the school. How exactly did 'despair' not infect the class of 78? Why did the despair twins go to such an elaborate ruse to destroy hope? I feel like hope would have died gradually after years of watching the world tear itself apart. How exactly did two girls manage to over power 14 other students and the head master?

I'm going to stop there, the more I think about the problems in this games plot the more it annoys me. Honestly I did enjoy Danganronpa despite the many flaws I listed off, it sucked me away from Pokemon Y for a solid 15-20 hours and I missed meals playing it. While I would recommend it it's no where near the level of games like 999 or Hotel Dusk in the VN/Adventure hybrid category. It's a solid 6/10 above average game with a good story hurt by it's own inability to explain things well and poor gameplay.

Danganronpa

The
monokuma masks are here only as a mean of censorship, there weren't big monokuma mask on the building either , it was a way to show that the world logic had changed for the worse. it was symbiloism , just like the executions were ..

As for the overpowering the rest , it should have been easy given that they were all students and had a degree of trusting each other .. she most likely made them fall into a trap. The other sister was a genius soldier that spend time doing guerilla tactics and other stuff before coming back , it's hard to imagine this being done with 1 person but with 2 people acting as a mole , it's much more possible.

The game also left a lot of things unexplained that won't be explained untill the second game.

Just so you know despair did infect the other classes students and the survivor decided by themselves to barricade themselves in the school and to modify it for their means of survival. It was certainly NOT a natural disaster.

Danganronpa

The
monokuma masks are here only as a mean of censorship, there weren't big monokuma mask on the building either , it was a way to show that the world logic had changed for the worse. it was symbiloism , just like the executions were ..

As for the overpowering the rest , it should have been easy given that they were all students and had a degree of trusting each other .. she most likely made them fall into a trap. The other sister was a genius soldier that spend time doing guerilla tactics and other stuff before coming back , it's hard to imagine this being done with 1 person but with 2 people acting as a mole , it's much more possible.

The game also left a lot of things unexplained that won't be explained untill the second game.

Just so you know despair did infect the other classes students and the survivor decided by themselves to barricade themselves in the school and to modify it for their means of survival. It was certainly NOT a natural disaster.

So things will be explained in the sequel basically? Blah I hate that -.-

Also what do you mean by
censorship? I got the blood = blue due to censorship, but how is covering random characters faces means of censorship? Also even if the despair is man made it doesn't explain how they just infected the world with despair.

So things will be explained in the sequel basically? Blah I hate that -.-

Also what do you mean by
censorship? I got the blood = blue due to censorship, but how is covering random characters faces means of censorship? Also even if the despair is man made it doesn't explain how they just infected the world with despair.

Actually the sequel does explain some things but not everything i feel that they will not ever give an explnation as to how this mess happenned , but will focus on the despair vs Hope fight untill the end , while dropping hints at both sides arguments.

By censorship i mean the movies for the executions .
In the witch hunt execution ( the 3rdone ) for example there is some 2d flames on the side , or the butter in the 2nd execution ending.Heck the headmaster execution at the start of the game show the same pattern. The exemples are numerous , they choose to show something crazy with a specific art style in order to get the point across , not the real facts of what happenned. The same thing happenned during the "reveal" they made the point that "outside isn't safe anymore " while hiding the specific about what really happenned ( obvious if you look how vague those who know about it are ) The point wasn't that big bear heads are on the buildings or that people with bear mask heads are wrecking havoc but that outside wasn't safe , so that's why they choose by themselves to stay in the school.

Notice that they didn't use this for fake junko death , because the fact that she was stabbed by multiple spears was a clue for the final part of the game.. they needed to show the facts only at the moments were this was only necessary.

Actually the sequel does explain some things but not everything i feel that they will not ever give an explnation as to how this mess happenned , but will focus on the despair vs Hope fight untill the end , while dropping hints at both sides arguments.

By censorship i mean the movies for the executions .
In the witch hunt execution ( the 3rdone ) for example there is some 2d flames on the side , or the butter in the 2nd execution ending.Heck the headmaster execution at the start of the game show the same pattern. The exemples are numerous , they choose to show something crazy with a specific art style in order to get the point across , not the real facts of what happenned. The same thing happenned during the "reveal" they made the point that "outside isn't safe anymore " while hiding the specific about what really happenned ( obvious if you look how vague those who know about it are ) The point wasn't that big bear heads are on the buildings or that people with bear mask heads are wrecking havoc but that outside wasn't safe , so that's why they choose by themselves to stay in the school.

Notice that they didn't use this for fake junko death , because the fact that she was stabbed by multiple spears was a clue for the final part of the game.. they needed to show the facts only at the moments were this was only necessary.

I get all that, but I never had a problem with the censorship, the execution scenes were grim enough anyways.

Though the biggest plot hole that just flat out isn't answered is still
how they all managed to lose their memories. I kept expecting the game to address it... and it just kind of didn't. Also the whole idea that 14 people all got tricked by two girls even if they were friends is just mind boggling especially for characters who were strong like Sakura and biker dude. It's just a hard pill to swallow

I get all that, but I never had a problem with the censorship, the execution scenes were grim enough anyways.

Though the biggest plot hole that just flat out isn't answered is still
how they all managed to lose their memories. I kept expecting the game to address it... and it just kind of didn't. Also the whole idea that 14 people all got tricked by two girls even if they were friends is just mind boggling especially for characters who were strong like Sakura and biker dude. It's just a hard pill to swallow

I understand ..
again this is just how the game was made ..when they explained the memory loss , they adressed what the memory loss meant for the group , not how the memory loss happenned. it's cheap but that's unfortunatly how the creator decided to handle things.

Also another problem with the whole game's concept
the despair twins plan was to give those people who still clung to hope despair by having one of the few beacons of hope slowly tear each other apart in order to escape to the outside world. I'll accept that they're sadist who enjoy watching others be miserable cause that's just how they were born. What I want to know is what was the contingency plan if someone got away with the perfect crime on the first attempt IE Idol had managed to kill Leon and frame Negi. Then what? Then idol gets to go outside and instantly die in a world of despair while the other 12 are executed Yeah that would destroy the hope of those living in the outside world... but then why bother with such an elaborate plan? Why not just say "I've taken over hope academy and will kill each of them off one by one come and stop me" then watched as the hopeful got massacred by the weapons the students themselves armed the school with while letting the students tied up watch on a feed as she slowly tortured and killed them? The only explanation the game gives is that "oh we were friends" which is more convenient arm waving.

Also another problem with the whole game's concept
the despair twins plan was to give those people who still clung to hope despair by having one of the few beacons of hope slowly tear each other apart in order to escape to the outside world. I'll accept that they're sadist who enjoy watching others be miserable cause that's just how they were born. What I want to know is what was the contingency plan if someone got away with the perfect crime on the first attempt IE Idol had managed to kill Leon and frame Negi. Then what? Then idol gets to go outside and instantly die in a world of despair while the other 12 are executed Yeah that would destroy the hope of those living in the outside world... but then why bother with such an elaborate plan? Why not just say "I've taken over hope academy and will kill each of them off one by one come and stop me" then watched as the hopeful got massacred by the weapons the students themselves armed the school with while letting the students tied up watch on a feed as she slowly tortured and killed them? The only explanation the game gives is that "oh we were friends" which is more convenient arm waving.

Managing the perfect crime was pretty impossible to do in the first place.
If nobody wanted to kill , then sakura was supposed to start the chain of murders.
If a perfect crime would have been commited , she would probably have manipulated someone to get them on the right track, but with oogami and kigiri , that would have been quite difficult to pull off( the perfect crime i mean ).
If this was done anyway , she would have used that as propaganda to push teh despair agenda fruther , since hope peak academy was a beacon of hope already ( that needed to be shut down ).
Why not just say "I've taken over hope academy and will kill each of them off one by one come and stop me" then watched as the hopeful got massacred by the weapons the students themselves armed the school with while letting the students tied up watch on a feed as she slowly tortured and killed them?
By
broadcasting the entire show to the world that's exactly what she did , in some way

The idea is that killing hope is good , but turning hope into despair is better . Seeing hope form the student turned into despair would have been a far more better asset to the despair plan than just killing them ..and she was killing them already, anyway. Furthermore she was also killing thanks to the school defense system those who wanted to come and save the students from outside.

aravuus

Wait, so is it "incomplete" or just left open on purpose? Because after I finished Umineko, I was going to try this out because I loved 999, VLR, and Ever17.

I've really liked it so far, but I obviously haven't finished it yet. If the ending ruins everything, which I doubt, you'll read my impressions of it here in a couple of days most likely but for now, I'd say go for it.

Have you read/played Dangan Ronpa btw?

e: side note, R11's main menu music is giving me a MASSIVE Kingdom Hearts vibe.

I've really liked it so far, but I obviously haven't finished it yet. If the ending ruins everything, which I doubt, you'll read my impressions of it here in a couple of days most likely but for now, I'd say go for it.

Have you read/played Dangan Ronpa btw?

e: side note, R11's main menu music is giving me a MASSIVE Kingdom Hearts vibe.

I have. Notice the avatar ^_^ Loved every minute of it. Can't wait for the official Vita version as well as the inevitable Super Danganronpa. NISA better give it to me or else..

Think of it as Ever 17 but
without the Coco route because of budget issues

Hmmmmm That sounds more like "incomplete" to me, because that route explained some stuff. I wasn't as satisfied with it as some people.
Blick Winkel was one of the dumbest explanations I've ever seen.

I guess the question I'm asking is more along the lines of "Is it more 'The Sopranos' or 'Inception' type of ending?" Like it leaves me wanting more but lets me decide what happens or "blue-balls" me?

aravuus

Think of it as Ever 17 but
without the Coco route because of budget issues

I don't know, without the
Coco route
, Ever17 is just an ordinary romantic VN with a bit of drama here and some small mysteries there. There's already been plenty of questions and answers in R11 so far.

I have. Notice the avatar ^_^ Loved every minute of it. Can't wait for the official Vita version as well as the inevitable Super Danganronpa. NISA better give it to me or else..

Oh haha, how did I miss that. Can't wait to read/play/watch someone's lp of SDR2!

I'm conflicted about the DR shooter spinoff. Like if it is canon I have to play it I guess before 3 but there is no telling how good the game will be.

Hmmmmm That sounds more like "incomplete" to me, because that route explained some stuff. I wasn't as satisfied with it as some people.
Blick Winkel was one of the dumbest explanations I've ever seen.

I guess the question I'm asking is more along the lines of "Is it more 'The Sopranos' or 'Inception' type of ending?" Like it leaves me wanting more but lets me decide what happens or "blue-balls" me?

Remember 11 certainly has what seems like an "ending", there's no great abruptness to it. However many of the big questions and the hints of something greater over the course of the game are never answered or fully explored.

Also it directly tells you that the story isn't over after the credits but of course the last route doesn't exist so that was very frustrating.

aravuus

I'm conflicted about the DR shooter spinoff. Like if it is canon I have to play it I guess before 3 but there is no telling how good the game will be.

Sounded like a horrible idea when I first heard of it, still sounds like a horrible idea. Really hope it's not canon.

Remember 11 certainly has what seems like an "ending", there's no great abruptness to it. However many of the big questions and the hints of something greater over the course of the game are never answered or fully explored.

Also it directly tells you that the story isn't over after the credits but of course the last route doesn't exist so that was very frustrating.

There isn't, like, an interview that answers some of the lingering questions? Similar to what was done for 999 & VLR? Anything at all?

Burnburn

An ending doesn't make a game (although VN's sometimes really rely on it). The whole experience is what makes Remember 11 so good. The moments of dread in some of the scenes, the first true ending
There's a beach here? Why is there a beach here?
, some of the light hearted moments, the feeling of desperation and the whole setting are amazing.

It's a shame the ending is so blue balling, but I think some things, atleast the more important parts, of what the third route could have been are crammed in Saturo's ending.

100% cleared Saya no Uta. It was interesting. I was definitely curious about what Saya was and how it would all come to end. It was good but I don't think it was great. The best part of it was the beginning, where the story first unfolded, and ultimately I think the first possible ending was my favorite. Choosing the route after the first possible ending (which leads to the 2nd and 3rd) throws out all the sympathy for the main character and humanity is forsaken. Also, why the sex scenes? Could've been done without it.

Hoping for there to be a sale on Family Project before Steins Gate arrives.

How is Da Capo?

Edit: Oh! Ace Attorney 5 next week!

I think in order of favorites of all I've played not on consoles/handhelds:

1. Ever 17 ~The Out of Infinity~
2. Hourglass of Summer (on DVD Player)
3. Crescendo
4. Kana ~Little Sister~
5. Yume Miru Kusuri
6. Saya no Uta
7. Narcissu
8. Peace of Wonder

The thing about Hourglass is it's a pain in the ass to play.

I'm a couple of hours into Umineko, these episodes are really long. Every time I thing Episode 1 is about to end, there just seems to be more and more.
George's reaction to Shannon's decision almost made me well up.

Also, Maria's starting to get on my nerves with the "~Uuu~"ing. It was cute at first, now it's just getting annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom