• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sitrus

I'm a couple of hours into Umineko, these episodes are really long. Every time I thing Episode 1 is about to end, there just seems to be more and more.
George's reaction to Shannon's decision almost made me well up.

Also, Maria's starting to get on my nerves with the "~Uuu~"ing. It was cute at first, now it's just getting annoying.

Every Umineko chapter feels like it will never end :p

I'm a couple of hours into Umineko, these episodes are really long. Every time I thing Episode 1 is about to end, there just seems to be more and more.
George's reaction to Shannon's decision almost made me well up.

Also, Maria's starting to get on my nerves with the "~Uuu~"ing. It was cute at first, now it's just getting annoying.

My advice: Stop playing the series after episode 6 and pretend nothing else was ever released.

Fou-Lu

I feel like starting a VN that is horror/thriller, what do you guys recommend? (Been through Saya no Uta, I'd prefer something a little less messed up this time)

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
I feel like starting a VN that is horror/thriller, what do you guys recommend? (Been through Saya no Uta, I'd prefer something a little less messed up this time)

Umm, there is Chaos;Head, Kara no Shoujo, Phenomeno, Corpse Party (if you have a psp/vita). Most of them are fairly gore-heavy, except for Phenomeno (I think).

Also, for anyone who is interested the White Album 2 english translation just got a small update.

Also, for anyone who is interested the White Album 2 english translation just got a small update.
Yes!

Edit: Yeah, I can't seem to find where the translation info is, but it's good news regardless. I normally wouldn't get hyped for a VN like this one, but the anime is so good right now, and I've heard only good things about the VN... So yeah, hype... lots of it.

Fou-Lu

Umm, there is Chaos;Head, Kara no Shoujo, Phenomeno, Corpse Party (if you have a psp/vita). Most of them are fairly gore-heavy, except for Phenomeno (I think).

I'm fine with gore, just some of the stuff that happened in Saya no Uta made me a little uncomfortable. I've played Corpse Party and loved it. I'll check out your other recommendations, thanks!

cj_iwakura

I'm fine with gore, just some of the stuff that happened in Saya no Uta made me a little uncomfortable. I've played Corpse Party and loved it. I'll check out your other recommendations, thanks!

Phenomeno has no gore, just very creepy effects and visuals. Mostly psychological.

aravuus

Oh goddamn it, I just realized I had to install Windows again when I upgraded my PC.. Losing all my Chaos;Head progress. I'm honestly not sure if I can be assed to reinstall it and go through all those delusions again. Unless someone happens to have a save that's around
the subway scene with dead daddy and whatever
towards B ending?

At least I remembered to back up my R11 save in a cloud, reading it now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh goddamn it, I just realized I had to install Windows again when I upgraded my PC.. Losing all my Chaos;Head progress.
I think it would just look for save files in user files or local data / appdata shouldn't it? Probably can copy the folders / saves to the same directory.

Finished the first episode of Umineko. So it's set up like Higurashi, I guess I should have expected that. Watched the Tea Party, which was a bit more entertaining that the entire first episode, then unlocked the "???" I have no idea what it is.

Initial impressions:

Characters:

Battler is awesome, everyone else is just alright.

Story:

Right now, it seems like Battler is either super in denial about Beatrice's existence, or there is some elaborate scheme going on to make the player believe she actually does. As of the end of this episode, I don't believe she exists, I just want Battler to find a logical explanation for all the happenings.

Music:

Really good, I'll be getting this soundtrack when I finish the game for sure.

Lingering questions:

Smashed faces? Why? At least one of those bodies wasn't who they seemed. I'm almost sure of it.

Locked room murders? That seemed to be the theme of this episode, but I'm thinking there will be some logical explanation for all of them.

Everything else was pretty straight-forward. Unless the story takes a ridiculous turn, I think I will enjoy the next 7 episodes.

aravuus

I think it would just look for save files in user files or local data / appdata shouldn't it? Probably can copy the folders / saves to the same directory.
That's what I assume, yeah. I meant I already lost the saves, I don't think I took a backup of anything in fact.

e: and now that I think of it, I also lost most of my 3000+ photos, god fucking... Ugh goddamn it, I was too excited about the new mobo and CPU that I couldn't take three seconds to think what I should backup.

Everything else was pretty straight-forward. Unless the story takes a ridiculous turn, I think I will enjoy the next 7 episodes.

You have no idea. No idea.

Tho I love when Umineko gets insane. My favourite episodes were 3, 5 and 6 IIRC. Lamest are 7 and 8 cause they feel a bit too much exposition heavy but maybe thats just me. There are good stuff in every episode tho.

aravuus

Okay goddamn it with all the Umineko talk you've resparked my interest.

Watched a murder mystery movie called Memories of Murder which was fucking great. I love a proper murder mystery and when it's done well enough, it doesn't even matter if it truly gets solved or not.

Should I expect something like this from Umineko? All I know about it is, that it takes place in a remote mansion or something, it has something to do with murders and the ending is bad. Or lackluster. Not good, anyway.

Maybe I should finally actually read Umineko after I'm done with R11 and, if I get a save file from upandaway, C;H.

e: I guess my question is, in short, is it a proper murder mystery story? Maybe something more, something less?

Durante

I'd say it's more than that, but you'll certainly also get your fill of murder mystery/speculation, particularly out of the earlier episodes.

Personally, I loved Umineko, though I'm not sure whether I prefer it or Higurashi overall. What I do know is that I'd really love another series in that style.

Of course, I think the whole Umineko experience might be slightly reduced now since you can't spend months and thousands of posts discussing the meaning of the story or its puzzles after each episode. Should still absolutely be worth it though.

e: I guess my question is, in short, is it a proper murder mystery story? Maybe something more, something less?

Answering that question would be almost spoiling it if you know what happens in Umineko from episode 2 onward but yes, it is a proper murder mystery at heart but it has it's own insane fantasy element. The whole thing is pretty much a homage to murder mysteries but with very... weird animu twist when it gets going. You should definately check it out.

There is pretty much explanation to all the things but the ending isn't the best thing about it by a long shot. Umineko is at its best when you have no clue what is going on even when the game promises you there is a logical explanation. And some of the stuff the game pulls is really clever I think.

I agree with Byronic that the music is awesome. Best out of all VNs I have played.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'd say it's more than that, but you'll certainly also get your fill of murder mystery/speculation, particularly out of the earlier episodes.

Personally, I loved Umineko, though I'm not sure whether I prefer it or Higurashi overall. What I do know is that I'd really love another series in that style.

I feel the same, but I can understand some of the frustration. You have to make note the editor/author's best friend BT died at the point of the story taking odd turns some points seem more like a message to BT if you know that.

Well Umineko is certainly under the "guise" of a murder mystery early on, however later on it kinda...........eh you'll see.

I love Umineko though, one of my favorite VNs ever.

cj_iwakura

Finished the first episode of Umineko. So it's set up like Higurashi, I guess I should have expected that. Watched the Tea Party, which was a bit more entertaining that the entire first episode, then unlocked the "???" I have no idea what it is.

Initial impressions:

Characters:

Battler is awesome, everyone else is just alright.

Story:

Right now, it seems like Battler is either super in denial about Beatrice's existence, or there is some elaborate scheme going on to make the player believe she actually does. As of the end of this episode, I don't believe she exists, I just want Battler to find a logical explanation for all the happenings.

Music:

Really good, I'll be getting this soundtrack when I finish the game for sure.

Lingering questions:

Smashed faces? Why? At least one of those bodies wasn't who they seemed. I'm almost sure of it.

Locked room murders? That seemed to be the theme of this episode, but I'm thinking there will be some logical explanation for all of them.

Go watch the ??? right now. It's vital. Then post thoughts. :D

aravuus

Answering that question would be almost spoiling it if you know what happens in Umineko from episode 2 onward but yes, it is a proper murder mystery at heart but it has it's own insane fantasy element. The whole thing is pretty much a homage to murder mysteries but with very... weird animu twist when it gets going. You should definately check it out.

I like weird animu twists, they are always so.. I don't know, fucking weird.

Definitely gonna check it out this week then! In the meantime I'm gonna keep reading Byronic's impressions.

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
Ah, I found it!

Not really sure how to read all this info, but there's been some sort of progress, apparently! >_> haha

yeah, it's been at 7.24% since January, just got some progress recently to 7.61%, and now it went up again sometime between today and yesterday. At the very least the intro chapter is over half done.

If you haven't already, the easiest way to view the progress is by checking the daily stats.

cj_iwakura

Speaking of Umineko...

jIHcJXK.jpg

Graphics are getting there. We got them to appear. Just need to line them up, patch the rest, and we release the patch. :D

For the unfamiliar, we've been working on an English patch of the Umineko fighter for around a year now.

aravuus

R11 is so slow right now,
I'm practically reading the same thing again since nothing very significant has happened to Satoru that we didn't get to hear about on Kokoro's route.

Stop talking about Umineko, I want to start reading it right now!

e: well at least i've got hours of unexpected free time today so maybe i'll get to finish r11

e2: umineko's latter half (5-8) has that ps3 gfx patch now too, right? pretty sure it wasn't ready when i first tried to get into umineko

e3: wow, what a simple answer
to one of the biggest questions in r11, why the transferring is occurring. although it obviously raises a bunch of new questions.

Verelios

The problem is that the answer fails to give a convincing explanation to most of the mysteries presented in the series and is full of plot holes and inconsistencies.

I have to say, I absolutely agree. My own theory was only about...1/2 right, with me thinking along the lines of Shanon being involved. But the entire Will-I-Am, episode, was kind of weird. Not weird, weird, like episode 8, but just...kind of off. Climax of the series was definitely the tea party of episode 2 or episode 6. Such feel good moments. And Bonwitch is awesome.

Spoilers about episode 6-8, I guess.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
So I was looking to buy ASELIA THE ETERNAL after reading some good things about it in hc gaming 101. The only option is jastusa either by digital download or shrinkwrapped DVD. I really want a hardcopy of the game, what does the shrink wrapped DVD looks like? They just mail me a dvd-r in bubble envelope?

The problem is that the answer fails to give a convincing explanation to most of the mysteries presented in the series and is full of plot holes and inconsistencies.

What? Yes it does. There aren't any plot holes or inconsistencies I can think of, like, at all. The story is fairly put together and it's obvious he was writing towards that conclusion given in 7 from the beginning.

What? Yes it does. There aren't any plot holes or inconsistencies I can think of, like, at all. The story is fairly put together and it's obvious he was writing towards that conclusion given in 7 from the beginning.

Yeah sure, Shkanon killing on of their personalities and continuing the murders makes perfect sense. Not to mention the fact that the red truth refers to them both as different people numerous times.

So I was looking to buy ASELIA THE ETERNAL after reading some good things about it in hc gaming 101. The only option is jastusa either by digital download or shrinkwrapped DVD. I really want a hardcopy of the game, what does the shrink wrapped DVD looks like? They just mail me a dvd-r in bubble envelope?

Game is in a dvd case , within a bubble envelloppe , yes..
Can post pictures it you wish.

Yeah sure, Shkanon killing on of their personalities and continuing the murders makes perfect sense. Not to mention the fact that the red truth refers to them both as different people numerous times.

But that's not what happened. An author can kill off a character they create. Shannon and Kanon were just roles she played. And of course the red truth treats them as different people, according to the definitions Beatrice was using, they are. Surely you didn't think that Beatrice being recognized by everybody would make her exist didn't tie into the other personas she donned?

You really think Yasu had multiple personalities?

But that's not what happened. An author can kill off a character they create. Shannon and Kanon were just roles she played. And of course the red truth treats them as different people, according to the definitions Beatrice was using, they are. Surely you didn't think that Beatrice being recognized by everybody would make her exist didn't tie into the other personas she donned?

You really think Yasu had multiple personalities?

Dude just watch this video from 15 minute mark towards the 30 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHMta4YbjSM&list=PL48C47AC36EAD9A04

Don't agree much with the rest of his explanation but that to me is the reason why the story is so self-contradictory in many ways.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Game is in a dvd case , within a bubble envelloppe , yes..
Can post pictures it you wish.

Yeah a picture would be nice. Uta no saya comes with a manual and a really nice reversible cover art. I am secretly hoping other games will have the same treatment.

aravuus

Wow, got the bad ending Burnburn mentioned, jesus christ lol this is mad. Guess I'm getting close to the end now.

Anyway, how long does Umineko take to properly start? I understand it's MASSIVE and if it takes more than two hours to be done with the usual character introductions etc, I won't start it right after R11.

Wow, got the bad ending Burnburn mentioned, jesus christ lol this is mad. Guess I'm getting close to the end now.

Anyway, how long does Umineko take to properly start? I understand it's MASSIVE and if it takes more than two hours to be done with the usual character introductions etc, I won't start it right after R11.
My memory might be a lil janky since its been pretty much a year since I read Umineko but I think the character introduction in Ep1 is like an hour+ before the murders start. Every episode is pretty much a self contained mystery too so things certainly happen fast. It has an overarchin story certainly but things do happen quite early.

My memory might be a lil janky since its been pretty much a year since I read Umineko but I think the character introduction in Ep1 is like an hour+ before the murders start. Every episode is pretty much a self contained mystery too so things certainly happen fast. It has an overarchin story certainly but things do happen quite early.
It took me much more than an hour to get to the murders, it was at least 3, maybe more. Episode 2 I've been playing for about an hour and a half and all the characters haven't made it to the island yet.

It took me much more than an hour to get to the murders, it was at least 3, maybe more. Episode 2 I've been playing for about an hour and a half and all the characters haven't made it to the island yet.

3 hours??? Man all I remember from the beginning is:

Battler at the building meeting his relatives, Battler at the boat, meeting the servants and Maria gets the umbrella.
ep1 spoilers. Before the thing gets going.

Was that really 3 hours? Man. Might be my shitty memory. I certainly ain't a fast reader I don't think.

3 hours??? Man all I remember from the beginning is:

Battler at the building meeting his relatives, Battler at the boat, meeting the servants and Maria gets the umbrella.
ep1 spoilers. Before the thing gets going.

Was that really 3 hours? Man. Might be my shitty memory. I certainly ain't a fast reader I don't think.

It is that long; Just doesn't feel like it.

Dude just watch this video from 15 minute mark towards the 30 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHMta4YbjSM&list=PL48C47AC36EAD9A04

Don't agree much with the rest of his explanation but that to me is the reason why the story is so self-contradictory in many ways.

KnownNoMore is an idiot and hack who fails to understand the story.

His stupid "people must ALWAYS ALWAYS EQUAL BODIES WHAAAA" is moronic because the story is constantly hammering in that the Red Text is filled with semantic tricks and logic switches. Heck the very last words in Episode 6's main story is an example of such a switch. Erika says "I am the visitor, the 18th human on Rokkenjima!!" while Battler and Beatrice counter with "Even if you do join us- There are 17 people." this only works if the game Beatrice set up uses flexible definitions of "humans" and "people". The story isn't contradictory at all.

KnownNoMore is an idiot and hack who fails to understand the story.

His stupid "people must ALWAYS ALWAYS EQUAL BODIES WHAAAA" is moronic because the story is constantly hammering in that the Red Text is filled with semantic tricks and logic switches. Heck the very last words in Episode 6's main story is an example of such a switch. Erika says "I am the visitor, the 18th human on Rokkenjima!!" while Battler and Beatrice counter with "Even if you do join us- There are 17 people." this only works if the game Beatrice set up uses flexible definitions of "humans" and "people". The story isn't contradictory at all.
Those flexible definitions of people and the bending of the red truth is exactly why it feels self contradictory and inconsistent as a mystery. Shkanon is probably what the author had in mind but it just doesn't make sense.

Those flexible definitions of people and the bending of the red truth is exactly why it feels self contradictory and inconsistent as a mystery. Shkanon is probably what the author had in mind but it just doesn't make sense.

If you didn't read "These words will only say the truth" and not immediately start looking for ways to twist the meaning of said words then I don't know what to say.

What in the world doesn't make sense about it? It all comes together nicely with the themes the story puts forward.

i disagree ..
It's not contradictory when you're supposed and highly encouraged to not take such facts at face value , i feel like the entire pupose of EP6 was to tell people to think more outside the book and open the new possibilities to get the the real story . The author make this point several times , even bernkastel in ep8 laugh at the fact that the narrator was forced to use this...
How many times does umineko have to tell you to think differently , before you do so ?

Bending the red truth is something that is used by everyone since the start it just became obvious once people started abusing it ( ep 6,7,8 )

isn't the entire point of the GOLD truth , the fact that RED wasn't enough ?because it could be twisted ? otherwisewhy would the result of the 5th game be a closed catbox ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom