• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

It took me much more than an hour to get to the murders, it was at least 3, maybe more. Episode 2 I've been playing for about an hour and a half and all the characters haven't made it to the island yet.

It is that long; Just doesn't feel like it.

Alright, maybe I'll wait a day or two. Not sure if I have time tomorrow but if I do, it's time to start Umineko and possibly finish C;H.

ANYWAY. Finished with R11! Fuck yeah Uchikoshi!
While it got very close to Ever17, I thought E17 was still sliightly better. Still I'm not going to say it was the worst Uchikoshi story I've read, cause the word worst holds a negative connotation. I'm going to say it was the least best Uchikoshi story I've read. It was very, very good.

Being a guy who hates questions left unanswered, I didn't think it ended nearly as bad as I had understood. There were a couple of minor questions I wanted answered and a few major ones, but in the end, I actually kind of.. Really liked the ending. Well, to be exact,
I liked the part before the credits. I wouldn't have minded if it had ended right there. I liked Kokoro's and Satoru's interaction after the credits but other than that, all of the scenes were unnecessary and only proved to confuse the reader more. Thanks to that one particular bad ending, at least I kind of understood the very last lines Lin said.

But yeah, it really ends like it should still have one route more. If it was cancelled, a goddamn shame. If everything would have been tied together as masterfully as in Ever17, R11 could have very well turned out to be a lot better than E17.

In short, a very, very enjoyable read. I did give it the same rating I gave E17 on VNDB, but I think E17 is still slightly better, mostly because everything gets explained. Still, it's fucking Uchikoshi. If you liked E17 and/or 999 and/or VLR, you really should read R11 too.

e: also i fucking KNEW
satoru's italic "I" at the beginning had something significant to do with the story, i just knew it. fuck yeah uchikoshi!

e2: haha oh god,
they even got that "blick winkel" stuff in with "satoru" getting the players memories as a transplant, or in a way, him actually even being you. goddamn it that is so cool haha

Yeah a picture would be nice. Uta no saya comes with a manual and a really nice reversible cover art. I am secretly hoping other games will have the same treatment.

Ok then ..took some pictures

I took them recently but couldn't resize them so well i'll just provide the links instead of making every load huge pictures.

SO the Dvd case look like this

And the inside look like this

The manual is tiny and folded in 3 as you can see . ON one side you have basic instructions about the game mecanics but bear in mind that the game has pretty good tutorial so you won't be lost.

On the other side of the manual , you have the game world map , aselia being a game rpg , visual novel hybrid has a big map, IMO so this is nice.

Sorry about the picture size, i uploaded them in a hurry.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Ok then ..took some pictures

I took them recently but couldn't resize them so well i'll just provide the links instead of making every load huge pictures.

SO the Dvd case look like this

And the inside look like this

The manual is tiny and folded in 3 as you can see . ON one side you have basic instructions about the game mecanics but bear in mind that the game has pretty good tutorial so you won't be lost.

On the other side of the manual , you have the game world map , aselia being a game rpg , visual novel hybrid has a big map, IMO so this is nice.

Sorry about the picture size, i uploaded them in a hurry.

Better than what I imagine, going to go with the physical copy, thanks!

cj_iwakura

test3.jpg

That's a little better, no?

aravuus

Umm, Umineko doesn't have an options screen? If I launch the original exe, the one in Japanese, it's got all these menus on the window but I obviously have no idea what they mean, theyr'e in Japanese. With the English translation, they aren't there. Can't change the volume, can't resize the screen.. Is it supposed to be like this? I'd at least like to double the window size, it's tiny.

Umm, Umineko doesn't have an options screen? If I launch the original exe, the one in Japanese, it's got all these menus on the window but I obviously have no idea what they mean, theyr'e in Japanese. With the English translation, they aren't there. Can't change the volume, can't resize the screen.. Is it supposed to be like this? I'd at least like to double the window size, it's tiny.
Press F to make it full screen. You can change the volume in game by right clicking the mouse.

Hnngh all peoples playing Umineko make me want to finally start my reread... but I need to keep being strong and keep waiting for that Vita port of the PS3 game that is getting localized and is OBVIOUSLY coming soon :3

Maybe Ill just wait for the fantran of the fighting game to finish instead...

If you didn't read "These words will only say the truth" and not immediately start looking for ways to twist the meaning of said words then I don't know what to say.

What in the world doesn't make sense about it? It all comes together nicely with the themes the story puts forward.

It doesn't make sense because a character who's dressing up differently and going around killing people who can't even tell them apart is idiotic. Not to mention the fact that the killer in question can kill one of his/her personalities at will to avoid suspicion.

creid

So Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi just got announced for PS3 in NA. I'm trying to remember if there have been any VN/ADVs on home consoles in English, but I can't think of anything aside from the WiiWare ports of Ace Attorney. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

It doesn't make sense because a character who's dressing up differently and going around killing people who can't even tell them apart is idiotic. Not to mention the fact that the killer in question can kill one of his/her personalities at will to avoid suspicion.

The secret master of the house can dress up like a different person, and can fake her death as part of murder mystery. How exactly is that idiotic? And you're missing the point, you should be asking why on earth is a person acting like two different people, a man and a woman?

cj_iwakura

So Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi just got announced for PS3 in NA. I'm trying to remember if there have been any VN/ADVs on home consoles in English, but I can't think of anything aside from the WiiWare ports of Ace Attorney. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

Wow, really? And still no Steins or Umineko...

Am I a terrible person for not caring when
Rosa slaps/hits Maria?

Uuu - uuu

Uuuuuuuuu

i see nothing wrong

Did Umineko had a nice ending?
I dropped it on ep 6 or it was 7, the one that featured those two demons with undisclosed genders. Wish Ryukshi07 would write a proper mystery VN instead of relaying on metagame crap, parallel worlds, etc
Do not read muntu
Umineko has
2 endings

One ending is "damn you goat , you have no love , enjoy your bad end and your world full of lies !!"
Other is " you have enough love to believe , right ? then take the last facts needed to understand the reality of the concept " witch is not a bad ending , but not a great ending .

Umineko has a nice ending if you pretend it ends with 4 (or 5, if we want to stretch it a little).

It isn't that big of a downer since I think the journey is much more important than the end in this case. Kinda like Lost.

Once Umineko really starts to get going Ep3 foreward I really didn't even care that much how the thing would end. I just had too much fun with all the different situations the eps threw at me. Thats probably why I really didn't like Ep7 too much since it really is heavy on exposition.

Even Ep4 that had quite interesting setup I didn't care too much about the ending. It started to really feel like the core story invading the fun a bit too much bit too early if that makes any sense (for what little I remember given it's been a year.) That's why I love episodes 5 and 6 cause it really feels like the action picks up a lot of steam once
Erika is introduced as a villain.

aravuus

It's weird, it seems literally everyone thinks Umineko should have stopped at ep 4, but when I take a look at VNDB, Chiru is only 0.23 points behind. I guess it's just very different from the first four episodes?

e: or better yet, i guess i'll see for myself soon-ish!

It's weird, it seems literally everyone thinks Umineko should have stopped at ep 4, but when I take a look at VNDB, Chiru is only 0.23 points behind. I guess it's just very different from the first four episodes?

Well it's complicated. Like I kinda hate talking about this since I have total shit memory but I think Chiru has 2 great episodes (5+6) and 2 meh ones (7+8). While the original has 3 ok ones and 1 great one (3).

But even at it's worst I really liked Umineko and I get the feeling nobody regrets reading Chiru one bit even if the ending isn't the best out there.

Ep 7 and 8 have some GREAT stuff in them too but they have some things bringing them down that isn't an issue with the other episodes. With 8 it's pretty much the real ending of the whole story not being up to snuff with some of the best moments in the VN.

aravuus

Well it's complicated. Like I kinda hate talking about this since I have total shit memory but I think Chiru has 2 great episodes (5+6) and 2 meh ones (7+8). While the original has 3 ok ones and 1 great one (3).

But even at it's worst I really liked Umineko and I get the feeling nobody regrets reading Chiru one bit even if the ending isn't the best out there.

Yeah, thought as much.

But as every regular here probably knows, I liked Remember11's ending. As long as the ending kind of.. Fits, I think would be the best word, with the rest of the story and writing style and so on and so forth, almost everything is fine.

e: Why am I even here talking about this, I should be reading Umineko right now

Yeah, thought as much.

But as every regular here probably knows, I liked Remember11's ending. As long as the ending kind of.. Fits, I think would be the best word, with the rest of the story and writing style and so on and so forth, almost everything is fine.

Are you using any patches btw?

If I'd reread (prolly from ep2 onward) I dunno if I should just go with vanilla since thats how I went the first time and I had no problems with it :lol.

aravuus

Oh yeah, it's because of that Xbone CoD vs. PS4 CoD thread, pure gold.

Are you using any patches btw?

If I'd reread (prolly from ep2 onward) I dunno if I should just go with vanilla since thats how I went the first time and I had no problems with it :lol.

Yeah, the PS3 sprites/backgrounds one. The original graphics weren't that bad but hey, if I can make it look better, why the hell not? I actually really like the new sprites.

Chiru is not as much appreciated because many weren't able to accept the change in settings.

I don't get why umineko should have ended at ep 4 , by that point , only the question arcs were done and there is NO WAY to be satisfied by ep 4 ending.

EP5 i can understand , but Ep 4 ? no way.

Taruranto

It has to do with the fact the solution is totally retarded.

Umineko has a nice ending if you pretend it ends with 4 (or 5, if we want to stretch it a little).

But the ending is perfect for the story, fitting the themes of the tale just right. Even if you didn't find the bulk of Episode 8 the greatest, I don't see how anybody can dislike the final ending to the entire series.

Burnburn

ANYWAY. Finished with R11! Fuck yeah Uchikoshi!
While it got very close to Ever17, I thought E17 was still sliightly better. Still I'm not going to say it was the worst Uchikoshi story I've read, cause the word worst holds a negative connotation. I'm going to say it was the least best Uchikoshi story I've read. It was very, very good.

Being a guy who hates questions left unanswered, I didn't think it ended nearly as bad as I had understood. There were a couple of minor questions I wanted answered and a few major ones, but in the end, I actually kind of.. Really liked the ending. Well, to be exact,
I liked the part before the credits. I wouldn't have minded if it had ended right there. I liked Kokoro's and Satoru's interaction after the credits but other than that, all of the scenes were unnecessary and only proved to confuse the reader more. Thanks to that one particular bad ending, at least I kind of understood the very last lines Lin said.

But yeah, it really ends like it should still have one route more. If it was cancelled, a goddamn shame. If everything would have been tied together as masterfully as in Ever17, R11 could have very well turned out to be a lot better than E17.

In short, a very, very enjoyable read. I did give it the same rating I gave E17 on VNDB, but I think E17 is still slightly better, mostly because everything gets explained. Still, it's fucking Uchikoshi. If you liked E17 and/or 999 and/or VLR, you really should read R11 too.

e: also i fucking KNEW
satoru's italic "I" at the beginning had something significant to do with the story, i just knew it. fuck yeah uchikoshi!

e2: haha oh god,
they even got that "blick winkel" stuff in with "satoru" getting the players memories as a transplant, or in a way, him actually even being you. goddamn it that is so cool haha

Glad you enjoyed it :). I figure you have read that wordpress? I really like some of the subjects Uchikoshi touches, like
What would a baby do if it gets a adult's body? I also liked the subtle way he incorperated Blick Winkel in this game.
Did you also read the post he just made on the wordpress? That was actually a really amazing in depth post. I mean the fact that
The "bad guy" sort of wins by trapping Enomoto (The person you play as who is in Satoru's body) in an infinite loop
is pretty awesome.

Raytow

Is Fate/Stay Night worth playing? I know the anime supposedly sucks, but is the VN good?
Is decent, specially the two other routes, Saber is such a boring hero... personally and given is also a TM title I would recommend Tsukihime the last route is fucking awesome.

aravuus

Glad you enjoyed it :). I figure you have read that wordpress? I really like some of the subjects Uchikoshi touches, like
What would a baby do if it gets a adult's body? I also liked the subtle way he incorperated Blick Winkel in this game.
Did you also read the post he just made on the wordpress? That was actually a really amazing in depth post. I mean the fact that
The "bad guy" sort of wins by trapping Enomoto (The person you play as who is in Satoru's body) in an infinite loop
is pretty awesome.

Yeah, some of the stuff I got myself but that wordpress page definitely made the experience that much better. Also made me appreciate the ending a bit more.
The explanation/theory of player himself being trapped in an infinitely looping story may be just a cop out thanks to executive meddling, but even if it is (or especially, if it isn't), I think it's really fucking cool. Uchikoshi stories are probably the only ones I've ever seen that not only break and destroy the fourth wall, but also make the player an integral part of the story in an absolutely mindblowing way. Even the smallest things were so awesome, like the kagome songs "who's that behind you?" likely referring to the player and so on.

He's REALLY good at what he does. Shame that's probably the last Uchikoshi story I haven't read (not gonna do Never7 probably), so I guess I'll just have to patiently wait for Zero Escape 3. Gonna be sooo good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom