• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Picky is putting it mildly lol. When it comes to Japanese media, if there's something I find annoying, it's most of the time very, very annoying.

I think I'll play through the actual story in G-senjou first, and check the different character endings later if I feel like it. Right now I'm not very interested in any romances, and even less so in the dumb sex scenes.
I'll be frank, that's not a good idea. If you want to read one of the endings, read them as soon as the choice appears. Once you go through the true ending, there's no turning back. You'll probably not want to go back, either. The reason I suggested Tsubaki doesn't have much to do with romance (same with the reason I think you might like Shiratori's), but like I said, I don't think it'll be that bad if you skip all of them.

To those who read the VN:
For Tsubaki: everything related to Gonzou
For Shiratori: Tokita's profiling of Kyousuke and advice

Upandaway, what's the name of the VN you're talking about? I'd like to give it a shot later.
Don't forget to post impressions!

edit: Oh forgot to say this Muntu, did you know there's a no-sex patch for it? How about that?

PKrockin

Don't forget to post impressions!

Well, it's more of a "I better make a note of this so I don't forget to try it at some point" kind of deal, with all the games I got for Christmas. I'll certainly get around to it one of the times I head out to my work site and leave my consoles behind.

aravuus

I'll be frank, that's not a good idea. If you want to read one of the endings, read them as soon as the choice appears. Once you go through the true ending, there's no turning back. You'll probably not want to go back, either. The reason I suggested Tsubaki doesn't have much to do with romance (same with the reason I think you might like Shiratori's), but like I said, I don't think it'll be that bad if you skip all of them.

Okay, okay! I'll save on the story branching choices and if the routes become unbearable, I'll just give up and carry on with the main story lol. If the Tsubaki and Shiratori routes aren't that romance oriented I guess I could and should indeed check them out. I was 100% sure Tsubaki's route was going to be all romance since she's like THE shy girl Japanese seem to like so much.

upandaway

Okay, okay! I'll save on the story branching choices and if the routes become unbearable, I'll just give up and carry on with the main story lol. If the Tsubaki and Shiratori routes aren't that romance oriented I guess I could and should indeed check them out. I was 100% sure Tsubaki's route was going to be all romance since she's like THE shy girl Japanese seem to like so much.
I edited my post up there just a bit too late, anyway there's a no-sex patch if you're interested in that.

When I say the reason for recommending Tsubaki isn't romance, I don't mean the route is not romance oriented! The whole game has quite a bit of romance. I'd say all endings, including true, have comparable amounts.

Well, it's more of a "I better make a note of this so I don't forget to try it at some point" kind of deal, with all the games I got for Christmas. I'll certainly get around to it one of the times I head out to my work site and leave my consoles behind.
Yeah, I know~ I'm just making sure, because impressions is usually the part people forget when I recommend stuff.

aravuus

I edited my post up there just a bit too late, anyway there's a no-sex patch if you're interested in that.

When I say the reason for recommending Tsubaki isn't romance, I don't mean the route is not romance oriented! The whole game has quite a bit of romance. I'd say all endings, including true, have comparable amounts.

Oh well, as long as it's not the driving force, is what I mean. The main story's driving force is obviously the mystery of maou, who he is and what's he gonna do and so on. If the romance is tastefully done and as long as there's something else going on too, it should be fine.

You never know, maybe I'll come to like the romances! I've liked some romantic sub plots in media so much they turned out to be more interesting than the actual story lol, so it's not like I dislike the idea of a romance in itself. I just think Kyuoosuuskyukiou is awesome in how fucking cold and calculating he is, and a romantic encounter could take away from that. But yeah, we'll see!

I think I'll have to give that patch a look too

e: i may have misspelled kyouoyuoyosukeusi's name

upandaway

It may be too late to say this, but people who haven't read the VN can ignore all my replies to Muntu. He always wants way too much detail before he starts, it might feel like spoilers to others (though I tried to be as neutral as possible).

I just think Kyuoosuuskyukiou is awesome in how fucking cold and calculating he is, and a romantic encounter could take away from that.
Well that confirms it, you have to try out both Tsubaki and Shiratori. Try really hard to finish Tsubaki. Feel free to skip Kanon.

It's on me if you end up thinking it was a waste of time, but after you say something like that, I'll take the risk.

aravuus

He always wants way too much detail before he starts, it might feel like spoilers to others (though I tried to be as neutral as possible).

Oh you! Well anyway, I'll shut up now and just read the goddamn VN lol. Advancing surprisingly fast considering I still remember what's gonna happen next.

PKrockin

lol, I thought you guys were talking about a different game entirely.

I used to dissect every piece of media for upcoming games that I wanted, culminating with Brawl. But now I like to go into a game knowing as few specifics as possible. One trailer or a couple of recommendations that speak in general terms is usually enough to convince me. It makes games I'll enjoy more fun when I don't know what to expect from it. That moment when I first played Phoenix Wright totally blind and realized I was playing something fucking amazing wouldn't have been as magical had I known a lot about the game beforehand.

I only made a note of the title, looked at the box art, and read the few sentences long story setup. Seeing a recommendation on GAF and that it's well regarded, and apparently a "battle of wits" is plenty to convince me I will probably like it.

aravuus

I should try to be more daring myself sometimes, I guess. Went into 999 completely blind, you can just guess how fucking hard it blew my mind. That one was super intriguing from the very first seconds though, which I think is very, very rare in VNs.

My next Vn is probably kikogugai ( see the first page for info ).. same as above i'll be going in blind , knowing that it's a mix of sci-fi and samurai stuff.

I hope it'll deliver.

PKrockin

I should try to be more daring myself sometimes, I guess. Went into 999 completely blind, you can just guess how fucking hard it blew my mind. That one was super intriguing from the very first seconds though, which I think is very, very rare in VNs.

Same here. I got it on a complete whim because I liked the art and a friend said offhandedly I would probably like it.

Question. Are there any good Android versions of Visual Novels out there?
I've looked for some, but a lot of them seem like they're pirated versions, patches, or so forth.

I have found narcissu. But not much else.
Visual Novels seem like a genre of "game" that would be well suited to mobile. So I'm sure that there's a lot more than I've seen. Google Play is also poorly curated and it is hard to find what you are looking for.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I've looked for some, but a lot of them seem like they're pirated versions, patches, or so forth.

Visual Novels seem like a genre of "game" that would be well suited to mobile. So I'm sure that there's a lot more than I've seen. Google Play is also poorly curated and it is hard to find what you are looking for.

I'm not sure, but there's an unofficial android port of Katawa Shoujo floating out there. I have it installed on my S3. It runs pretty well but it's largely not worth it, imo: install is a hassle, moving save files requires rooting your android device, it doesn't play the entracte videos/cinematics, it drains battery like a mofo (I was losing charge while plugged in)

PKrockin

I'm not sure, but there's an unofficial android port of Katawa Shoujo floating out there. I have it installed on my S3. It runs pretty well but it's largely not worth it, imo: install is a hassle, moving save files requires rooting your android device, it doesn't play the entracte videos/cinematics, it drains battery like a mofo (I was losing charge while plugged in)

I did not know this was even possible.

You won't have much luck finding English translated things.

I.....I don't believe it. The writers actually found a way to make me care about Maria.
i mean I still think she's as crazy as a road lizard but she is the lesser of two evils when compared to Erika the stuck up dream-killer b...witch.

This game man. Episode 6 is so much better than 5 so far. It's not even funny how much more I am enjoying this episode. Keeping my expectations low is the way to go with Umineko. That rhyming was unintentional but completely necessary xD

I.....I don't believe it. The writers actually found a way to make me care about Maria.
i mean I still think she's as crazy as a road lizard but she is the lesser of two evils when compared to Erika the stuck up dream-killer b...witch.

This game man. Episode 6 is so much better than 5 so far. It's not even funny how much more I am enjoying this episode. Keeping my expectations low is the way to go with Umineko. That rhyming was unintentional but completely necessary xD

I think you are just crazy ;)

Oh well good that you are enjoying it. I liked it too but on a reread I thought it dragged on way too much compared to 5.

aravuus

qbb8aKX.png

Haha, Kyousuke is one romantic dude. Although I'm enjoying the way this relationship is going in some weird way, I highly doubt it's going to end like this. It's interesting, nonetheless.

I think you are just crazy ;)

Oh well good that you are enjoying it. I liked it too but on a reread I thought it dragged on way too much compared to 5.

These last two chapters are paced much better than the first 4. Things have been happening at a brisk pace with only seeing the George/Shannon scene for the 4th or 5th time.

Also, Battler seems to be
going the same route as Kinzo when it comes to Beatrice. Sullen Battler is worse then sullen Beatrice. I hope something happens to knock him out of this slump. I know the beginning of episodes 5 & 6 have alluded to something earth shattering to Battler to the point where he is lost for words. I can't wait to see what that is.

Still, expectations low.

aravuus

Tsubaki route - done.

It was pretty much what I expected it to be.
Boring romance followed by Kyousuke trying to manipulate Tsubaki, rinse and repeat. Tsubaki is the second most boring character so far, so I'm not surprised. Really liked Gonzou in her chapter though! He's one cool mofo, can't wait to see more of him. All in all, it wasn't a bad chapter, I enjoyed most of it, the romance part was just dull and super predictable. I did groan a bit at his mother's recovery in the end though.

I expect
Kyousuke will end up romancing the blonde girl and Haru too, but I'm actually interested in seeing how their chapters will pan out. Mainly because I have no fucking idea how the blonde and our protagonist could end up together
, and because Haru is a genuinely awesome character. I think I actually kind of want to see him ending up with them lol. I do hope their chapters have a bit more of that battle of wits stuff though, it was practically nonexistant in Tsubaki's route.

e: oh btw, obviously don't tell me if these things will or won't happen upandaway lol

e2: also i will skip kanon's chapter mercilessly since she's just fucking boring. uguu onii-chan please give me your dick~~~~~~~~~~

upandaway

Tsubaki route - done.

It was pretty much what I expected it to be.
Boring romance followed by Kyousuke trying to manipulate Tsubaki, rinse and repeat. Tsubaki is the second most boring character so far, so I'm not surprised. Really liked Gonzou in her chapter though! He's one cool mofo, can't wait to see more of him. All in all, it wasn't a bad chapter, I enjoyed most of it, the romance part was just dull and super predictable. I did groan a bit at his mother's recovery in the end though.
If you liked the Gonzou parts then mission accomplished because that's why I brought up that ending. Everything about him there is great.
I felt like the Kyousuke's trick at the end was worth the whole chapter (that trick is about the closest you'll get to battle of wits in any of the non-true endings), but yeah it wasn't anything offensive in general. Just standard romance with some quality Gonzou.

The non-romance part was admittedly small but yeah that's what I was referring to. Good thing her chapter isn't that long.

Haru's pretty cool. (read after you hit the Kanon branch choice ->)
Pretty much all of her interaction with Gonzou is gold. Their first/second meetings were amazing.

aravuus

You do seem to know what I like (to a certain creepy degree lol) so maybe I should take your advice to heart from now on. Finally starting to get to the meat of the story as I think I dropped it before around this part, but what a bad timing - I probably won't be able to play too much tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, what with all these new year's parties and whatnot.

upandaway

Giving this a go now. The music sounds like familiar tunes rejigged somehow, is there a track listing or an OST or something somewhere? I'm going nuts thinking "I know this music" but not being able to figure out what it is.
The OST is littered with classical music references everywhere, I love it. After you finish the game the whole OST is in the Extra menu. Don't look for the OST itself right now because you'll expose yourself to a ton of CGs and spoilers.

I'm not sure if there's any list of the exact classical pieces that were used, that would be cool.

fertygo

Giving this a go now. The music sounds like familiar tunes rejigged somehow, is there a track listing or an OST or something somewhere? I'm going nuts thinking "I know this music" but not being able to figure out what it is.

The OST is mostly spin on classical tune, so of course many will be familiar of it.

aravuus

Check out the config, there's an option to display the song name and what score it's based on in the upper right corner when the song starts.

Currently playing Kazoku Keikaku. Goddamn this game is lengthy! Did not expect it to be this long at all. Even getting to the OP movie of this game took a long while.

matsuri.jpg

Currently playing Kazoku Keikaku. Goddamn this game is lengthy! Did not expect it to be this long at all. Even getting to the OP movie of this game took a long while.

matsuri.jpg

Finished this one a while back, was a decent VN from Romeo Tanaka although I much preferred his other words like Rewrite, Kana and Yume Miru Kusuri. That said, Matsuri was awesome :).

Linkark07

Banned

Check this list. It gives you the name of the tracks and also which piece they adapted for each song.

Returned to Sharin no Kuni for now. Hopefully I can finish it now this time.

I read a bit of Family Project, but the game's lack of working fullscreen mode is a pain. Reading it from a microscopic window on a high resolution monitor is not fun.

Umineko Episode 6: [DONE]

No more long winded impressions, because by now anyone still reading them should have a good grasp on how I feel about the characters.

Why. Won't. Umineko. Give. Me. Some. Damn. ANSWERS?!

6 episodes and almost nothing. Really? Come on, if the next two episodes don't give me some type of closure I'm going to probably put a fist through my keyboard.

Battler won? In a manner that he was trying to disprove not 2 episodes ago? Why? Nothing has been solved yet, even the explanation for the locked doors is flimsy as heck. Why won't the writers, who are fully capable of making me like/hate characters almost on a daily basis btw, unable to give me the one thing I think is absolutely necessary in a "mystery" game. Some freaking answers.

This was still the second best episode in my opinion, but this game of cat-and-no-mouse has to stop at some point.

No more long winded impressions, because by now anyone still reading them should have a good grasp on how I feel about the characters.

6 episodes and almost nothing. Really? Come on, if the next two episodes don't give me some type of closure I'm going to probably put a fist through my keyboard.

Battler won? In a manner that he was trying to disprove not 2 episodes ago? Why? Nothing has been solved yet, even the explanation for the locked doors is flimsy as heck. Why won't the writers, ho are fully capable of making me like/hate characters almost on a daily basis, unable to give me the one thing I think is absolutely necessary in a "mystery" game. Some freaking answers.
This was still the second best episode in my opinion, but this game of cat-and-no-mouse has to stop at some point.

Episode 6 gives some huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge hints if you know what you are looking for. Like not even trying to be subtle about it. Episode 7 will perhaps satisfy you more since it straight out tells you stuff. Like at first I didn't see it either but afterwards even I had to admit 6 was hammering the biggest answer of the mystery to the reader.

As for the spoiler
Battler solved the mystery or at least most of it back in the ending of EP5 when he became worthy to be the GM. Ep 6 is pretty much him proving he knows what Beatrices game is about to the witches, he ''won the human side'' back in EP 5, just too late to give his answer to Beato. He is just not straight up telling it to the readers. It's kind of what ep 5 talked about that when the detective of the story has reached the answer it is to point out that all the mysteries should be solveable at that point.

Taruranto

Battler won? In a manner that he was trying to disprove not 2 episodes ago? Why? Nothing has been solved yet, even the explanation for the locked doors is flimsy as heck. Why won't the writers, who are fully capable of making me like/hate characters almost on a daily basis btw, unable to give me the one thing I think is absolutely necessary in a "mystery" game. Some freaking answers.

The answers are pretty stupid anyway.

I just want to point out that you , as a reader were in the "audience" in ep 6...

Now the question is ( from the author ) :
are you a goat ?

Because don't worry you'll have some answers BUT
the writter is STRONGLY hoping that you're making your brain work

PS: you did have plenty of answers in this episode, but just like battler in ep 5 , are you able to gather them all ?

Man, I know most people would probably consider it Baby's First Intro to VNs or very sub-par to it's Japanese counterparts, I just played Dysfunctional Systems: Episode 1 through a number of times and absolutely adore it. The prose is just exceptionally well done. I really enjoyed Winter quite a bit.

I'm playing some other VNs at the moment but that one in particular really caught me.

Episode 6 gives some huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge hints if you know what you are looking for. Like not even trying to be subtle about it. Episode 7 will perhaps satisfy you more since it straight out tells you stuff. Like at first I didn't see it either but afterwards even I had to admit 6 was hammering the biggest answer of the mystery to the reader.

As for the spoiler
Battler solved the mystery or at least most of it back in the ending of EP5 when he became worthy to be the GM. Ep 6 is pretty much him proving he knows what Beatrices game is about to the witches, he ''won the human side'' back in EP 5, just too late to give his answer to Beato. He is just not straight up telling it to the readers. It's kind of what ep 5 talked about that when the detective of the story has reached the answer it is to point out that all the mysteries should be solveable at that point.

Hopefully, I'll be able to look back on the last couple of episodes and smile because of all the stuff that was "revealed" without me even knowing it, but at this point, I'm just hoping that it will at least make sense. After this last episode, I can think of a few ways for these "answers" I'm seeking to turn really stupid really fast.

I was pretty much able to gather all of the spoiler tagged part, but I didn't expect
Battler to be so stingy with the info.

I just want to point out that you , as a reader were in the "audience" in ep 6...

Now the question is ( from the author ) :
are you a goat ?

Because don't worry you'll have some answers BUT
the writter is STRONGLY hoping that you're making your brain work

PS: you did have plenty of answers in this episode, but just like battler in ep 5 , are you able to gather them all ?

The only problem with making my brain work is that I'm not giving it any time. I'm pretty much blowing through an episode every week or so without spending much time digesting what I just saw. I'm not used to stopping and speculating something that is already out. Maybe if I had played these as they were being released, I'd go back and spot some things that I missed.

Here's what I was able to gather from this episode. As well as some random questions and guesses.

1. My theory about Amakusa killing all of Kyrie's sister's henchmen with a sniper rifle was pretty much dead on.

2. Most of Beatrice's "Furniture" have real-life counterparts: Envy=Kyrie, Virgilia=Kumasawa, Ronove=Genji, ect.

3. Some of the characters, if not all of them, are delusional in some way.

4. Battler and Beatrice may be related? (Not too sure about this one.)

5. If all magic has to be based in reality, doesn't that make it counterproductive? There's no reason to call it magic unless you are deliberately trying to fool someone.

6. One of the "Love Trial Twins" was a guy. I want to say it was the one that sounded like a girl, because the other one is a bit too obvious.

7. Two Beatrices + Original Beatrice. So.... Mistress with twin daughters? Hell, I don't know. Maybe Battler is actually Kinzo......I don't know.

8. Wordplay seems to be a way that's going to throw me off. Especially seeing how I can't recall any of the red truth prior to episode 5 so I can't remember if things were cleverly worded or not.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If, without spoiling anything, anyone wants to give me a gentle nudge in the right direction, I'd be grateful. Just something to get my creative juices flowing.

1. My theory about Amakusa killing all of Kyrie's sister's henchmen with a sniper rifle was pretty much dead on.
Hah, yeah this one is pretty obvious.

2. Most of Beatrice's "Furniture" have real-life counterparts: Envy=Kyrie, Virgilia=Kumasawa, Ronove=Genji, ect.

Pretty close overall. Not every fantasy character represents a person you've seen in the story though. Some represent other things

3.Some of the characters, if not all of them, are delusional in some way.

Erika at least is.

4. Battler and Beatrice may be related? (Not too sure about this one.)[/spoiler
Well whatever sin Battler did that effected Beatrice, it wasn't one involving his immediate family.

5. If all magic has to be based in reality, doesn't that make it counterproductive? There's no reason to call it magic unless you are deliberately trying to fool someone.
Well this just hits the nail right on the head. "Magic" is the dressing up the result in fantasy. When Maria uses "magic" she's fooling herself. Who was Beatrice trying to fool?

6. One of the "Love Trial Twins" was a guy. I want to say it was the one that sounded like a girl, because the other one is a bit too obvious.
It's flat out said in their character bios that they're opposite genders. So basically Battler when making his fantasy about the love trial threw in a pair of gender ambiguous individuals. Why did he do that?

7. Two Beatrices + Original Beatrice. So.... Mistress with twin daughters? Hell, I don't know. Maybe Battler is actually Kinzo......I don't know.
Well there have to be three "Beatrices". The first who supposedly died long ago, the second who lived in the hidden mansion who died 19 years before the start of the story, and finally the third Beatrice, the one we know.

Though, if you're confused by the two Beatos in 6, that's easily explained, you might have missed it. The Elder Beato is Rokkenjima's "ghost". Every strange and creepy thing that happens in the mansion is blamed on "Beatrice" and so she can "exist".

The Younger Beato is the desire to love and be loved by Battler. Somebody made a "piece" to do it in their place. So once you combine Rokkenjima's ghost stories with a love for Battler, toss in a thousand years of suffering, and you get everyone's favorite Troll Witch.

Battler's similarities to Kinzo are more thematic rather then literal

8.Wordplay seems to be a way that's going to throw me off. Especially seeing how I can't recall any of the red truth prior to episode 5 so I can't remember if things were cleverly worded or not.
It's not wordplay so much as a trick involving definitions. It's only used for one really major thing so don't stress too much about it.

It's exemplified with the final bit of Red in 6. Erika declares herself the 18th human on Rokkenjima in Red, so that's true. But Battler and Beatrice said she's the 17th person.

So Erika is the 18th human and 17th person, both are true.

In other words, Battler and Beatrice were using a definition of "person" that is different then Erika's definition of "human", even though normally one would expect them to basically mean the same thing

aravuus

PataHikari's post is quite likely the most impressive one I've seen in these threads so far. Not even the 999/VLR threads look that much like a top secret file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom