• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim-tales

Ahhh....

Ooops my mistake, sorry! I meant beyond a certain point (after you see
the girl with the tanouki thing)
NO text is appearing in the boxes so its just like ". . . . . . ."

I mistyped it. Doh!

Seriously, if Bernkastel is
trolling Ange and me at the same time, she may be my favorite villain of all time. Even more so than Beatrice, because while Beato kind of went to the Jedi side, Bernkastel has remained unapologetically Sith.

I find that I only get furiously frustrated at games I love, same thing happened with Resonance of Fate. So Umineko may very well end up as my favorite VN ever xD.

trolling Ange and me at the same time, she may be my favorite villain of all time. Even more so than Beatrice, because while Beato kind of went to the Jedi side, Bernkastel has remained unapologetically Sith.

I find that I only get furiously frustrated at games I love, same thing happened with Resonance of Fate. So Umineko may very well end up as my favorite VN ever xD.

Lol bernkastel
trolling ? Ah Ah Ah You expected the word of a witch that is bored out of her mind to gve you accurate information ? She left her role of spectator a long long time ago

cj_iwakura

See it through. It even has two endings, so you can decide for yourself how the cat box plays out.

I really enjoyed the ending I got. And I was with you on being 'WTF' during most of Chapter 7.

Also,
I never picked up on Shkanon, which I'm told is rare.

It's a very popular theory. Shame, because I'm not fond of it.

cj_iwakura

There's an amazing Lambdadelta comic based around her flashback during the nightmare fuel segment of Episode 6, if I can find it, I think you'd enjoy it.

grim-tales

Jiust started playing E17 now.
Can you save anywhere you like and resume?
Has shades of 999 so far (word salads in the title sequence) and
The girl in the park could be from an Abbott and Costello routine "I Am You" ? :D

Knurek

Jiust started playing E17 now.
Can you save anywhere you like and resume?
Has shades of 999 so far (word salads in the title sequence) and
The girl in the park could be from an Abbott and Costello routine "I Am You" ? :D

Ever17 is the definition of payoff. Yes, the 4 main routes are terrible. And yet, True route and ending make them all worthwhile. Literally mind-blowing.

Pity KID didn't have enough money to make True route for Remember11 :(

Is ever17 more straight foreward with the branching paths like VLR where you can just jump around and it locks you from most endings before you play some paths or like 999 where you should do stuff in a certain order for max effect? How does that stuff work, like should you use a spoiler free guide (I did for 999) or just play totally in the dark as you like (I did VLR)?

Is ever17 more straight foreward with the branching paths like VLR where you can just jump around and it locks you from most endings before you play some paths or like 999 where you should do stuff in a certain order for max effect? How does that stuff work, like should you use a spoiler free guide (I did for 999) or just play totally in the dark as you like (I did VLR)?

It's more like 999 in structure. Though it branches onto character routes and not lame bad endings like in 999.

Taruranto

Gamefaqs has one I believe, but you shouldn't need it much, it's nowhere near 999/VLR level of complexity when it comes to routes management.

She said it in red. What was I supposed to think?
xD

Red can be abused and changed of his original purpose . she was the game master at that time so she used the board to set thing up her way..it's a similar situation as what was happenning in ep 5 tea party.

If you're wondering how can i trust what anyone say if red can be abused in a weird way by those who know the truth , ep 8 adresses this

aravuus

Nope. Most of them are good.

Maybe if you're looking for cheesy shitty romances. I wanted my mind blown and jesus christ the first four routes were horrible. In the context of why Ever17 is so highly regarded and liked, they are bad bad baaaad

I heard its LONG (like VLR long) too

I read through the other routes fast (like, I never listen to the voices and I started skipping dialogue towards the end when I realized all the whams are saved for the true route), and they took me.. I think around 15 hours? And the true route was probably another 15 hours.

Any links to spoiler free guide?

The only gamefaqs one is good, even the choices in the game are spoiler-free so it doesn't matter if you accidentally read too far

e: wonder if i should replay 999, vlr and/or ever17 this weekend

Ra1den

Anybody here played Kikokugai: The cyber slayer?

I've got a question... My game would crash every time I tried saving, so I just completed it without saving.

However, after the end credits, it prompted me to save, which of course crashed my game.

So I'm wondering, did I miss any kind of post- credit extra scene, or anything else which unlocks after completing the game?

aravuus

Think I'll use a spoiler free guide for the choices of what to say to characters, is this reccomended?

Well yeah, sure, why not? Personally I always use guides cause oftentimes the choices and the results make no sense in VNs, and I'd rather not waste my time with (usually) dumb bad endings and such.

Knurek

Well yeah, sure, why not? Personally I always use guides cause oftentimes the choices and the results make no sense in VNs, and I'd rather not waste my time with (usually) dumb bad endings and such.

Yeah, who plays VN without a walkthrough? Masochists, that's who.

grim-tales

Now things are (finally) getting a bit more interesting...
Why was the Kid knocked out and put in the tanuki suit? I'm playing on the You route now, does anything need to be done in order?
The shot of water breaking in the title sequence is similar to 999, and one room looks like something from VLR ...

aravuus

Why was the Kid knocked out and put in the tanuki suit? I'm playing on the You route now, does anything need to be done in order?
The shot of water breaking in the title sequence is similar to 999, and one room looks like something from VLR ...

Don't expect anything mindblowing, lol. But no, assuming you mean routes, it doesn't matter which order you go through them.

grim-tales

Yeah, thats what I meant, thanks.
Based on 999/VLR I was expecting mindblowing/weird shit to start off very soon - maybe that comes later?

aravuus

Yeah, thats what I meant, thanks.
Based on 999/VLR I was expecting mindblowing/weird shit to start off very soon - maybe that comes later?

There are some small things here and there in the first four routes but yes, pretty much all of the twists are left for the true route.

grim-tales

Cheers :) I assume the True route can only be done last/when you've completed certain things?
I'm getting more of a VLR vibe now
with the stuff about Takeshi seeing himself.. that could be in another timeline

aravuus

Yep, that's how it is. Remember to post impressions, I'm not expecting anything as verbose as my posts (how many different ways are there to say "what the fuck is going on?!" lol), but the "HOLY SHIT OMFG" posts are always great

grim-tales

LOL I know, posting reactions in the VLR playthrough thread was hilarious xD
Kid remembers having more than 5 fingers.. weird. I like 'You'. She seems sweet. But with her being called You... doesnt that sound similar to VLR's "I am you" line?

It's not necessary to do the routes in any order, but I was mostly recommended to do Takeshi's routes (Tsugumi and Sora) before The Kid's (You and Sara). I played Tsugumi -> Sora -> You -> Sara and it was pretty good flow with the reveals/questions.

I guess since you're already doing You's route,
I really don't know what order to recommend. Anything can work, but I'd try Sora, then Tsugumi, then Sara.

But when doing the fifth route, be sure to play as The Kid. Trust me, it's worth it.

grim-tales

I noticed when I save my game it only seems to save at the last 'Choice' I made not at that exact point in the text. Given there seems to be a long time between choices, this is annoying.

I noticed when I save my game it only seems to save at the last 'Choice' I made not at that exact point in the text. Given there seems to be a long time between choices, this is annoying.
That's odd... My game saved at whatever line I saved at. >_>

Must be a glitch with your version. :/

grim-tales

Yeah, I guess.
I'm definitely getting a Junpei and June vibe with You and 'The Kid' now when you save You (ha) from the crashing water. Also noticeable is The Kid doesnt know who he is.
Also, all the rooms being flooded with water is very '999'

Tizoc

Silly question...
What're we waiting JAST to release in English again?
Chaos;Head or
Steins;Gate?
Cuz I pre-order months ago and am still waiting for it to get released unless it already is?

If they do have a solid date, may I suggest an OT to discuss the game in?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Silly question...
What're we waiting JAST to release in English again?
Chaos;Head or
Steins;Gate?
Cuz I pre-order months ago and am still waiting for it to get released unless it already is?

If they do have a solid date, may I suggest an OT to discuss the game in?

Feburary 28th for Steins;Gate and I called dibs in the OT for it.

aravuus

Steins;Gate is getting a proper OT? Well then, I should give it a second try when it comes out, reading along with everyone should be fun.

aravuus

Steins;Gate |OT| it's good

e: Steins;Gate |OT| read it

e2: Steins;Gate |OT| worth;checking

i coudl come up with these forever!!!!!

grim-tales

When you start a new route in E17 does the text automatically stop when it reaches something you havent read?
I think I'd go mad if I have to start EVERYTHING from the start on a new route, 999 style. Of course I didnt find 999 so bad at the time but have been spoiled since with the flowchart in VLR.
I hate Tsugumi in E17 so far, she seems so cold and unfriendly! :(

aravuus

When you start a new route in E17 does the text automatically stop when it reaches something you havent read?
I think I'd go mad if I have to start EVERYTHING from the start on a new route, 999 style. Of course I didnt find 999 so bad at the time but have been spoiled since with the flowchart in VLR.

Pretty sure there's an option to skip just read text with the skip function, so it should stop when there's something new or a choice.

I hate Tsugumi in E17 so far, she seems so cold and unfriendly! :(

I remember her being a boring and very cliched character. I wasn't really a fan of any of the characters though.

I like You, she seems nice - don't know much about the others yet though.
All the characters have their own little scenes where they shine. They are what you make of them. The real focus is obviously on the story, though.

I treated it like an anime I was watching and that made it a lot of fun to just sit and see the interactions and story unfold. It takes it's sweet time, though, as I'm sure you've already noticed.

grim-tales

Yeah, it seems a real slow burner ATM. I know what you mean, it does feel like anime in some senses and pure VN (even more than 999/VLR).

But -
This is weird.. in the control room, the number of people/life readings keep changing from 5 to 6 to 7.. 576.. 576... 576... WTF?

aravuus

But -
This is weird.. in the control room, the number of people/life readings keep changing from 5 to 6 to 7.. 576.. 576... 576... WTF?

And you have come across the most intriguing event of the first four routes. This is pretty much how I made through the normal routes lol. You're gonna get your answers later!

Loved Ever 17. I actually pre-ordered it way back when just based on the cover and description without knowing a thing about it. Tsugumi route was the best route of the four for me. And then there's that true route.

999 and VLR are not as impressive if you've played Ever 17 before and vice versa as well. With that said, Ever 17 came first.

Taruranto

IMO the best route to start is You, it set ups many mysteries that gradually get solved in the other routes. After that you'll probably want to do Tsugumi's path.

Many people recommend (DO NOT OPEN THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME)
Takeshi's routes-->Kid's routes because it's the "chronological" order, but imo it completely destroys the pacing. If you play You first and then Tsugumi, you'll go "Aaah, so that's what she was talking about in the other route!" in Tsugumi ending part.

IMO the best route to start is You, it set ups many mysteries that gradually get solved in the other routes. After that you'll probably want to do Tsugumi's path.

Many people recommend (DO NOT OPEN THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME)
Takeshi's routes-->Kid's routes because it's the "chronological" order, but imo it completely destroys the pacing. If you play You first and then Tsugumi, you'll go "Aaah, so that's what she was talking about in the other route!" in Tsugumi ending part.

Eh, just go after the character you want to learn about most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom