• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

The bad endings might as well not be there. I really liked
Tokita's profile of Kyousuke
so that's why I suggested it, the silly stuff are also fun but everything else is kinda weird.

The true route kicks the gas from the second you click on the choice, so don't feel rushed.

Yeah, the good ending wasn't bad either. Anyway, now I'm finally on the true route and ready for the supposed craziness. The current situation is very interesting already.

e: what haha,
Yuki is with Maou
? I admit, I was certainly not expecting that

Tizoc

Until the past half year, Steam hadn't even been a real option, Japanese VNs didn't make it through Greenlight. There's also the issue of adult content, which most translated VNs have and makes them ineligible for Steam.
Understandable, though I should totally check out the more 'heavy adult content' VNs to see just what the deal is.

JAST has said they will explore a Steam release later. I imagine it will eventually happen unless 5pb blocks it for some reason.

Ah that's what I wanted to also ask: Any reason why 5pb would say no?

grim-tales

Overall I think Ever 17 was really good but
it kinda felt famillar in some ways because of the fact I think 999/VLR must have taken inspiration from it - eg Leiblich Pharmaceutacal = Cradle, Developing a bio-weapon.... TB = Radical-6, Blick Winkel = ? from VLR and is also a bit like the big twist in VLR too.

But overall I really enjoyed it and it still managed to surprise me! :)

Overall I think Ever 17 was really good but
it kinda felt famillar in some ways because of the fact I think 999/VLR must have taken inspiration from it - eg Leiblich Pharmaceutacal = Cradle, Developing a bio-weapon.... TB = Radical-6, Blick Winkel = ? from VLR and is also a bit like the big twist in VLR too.

But overall I really enjoyed it and it still managed to surprise me! :)
Aww... not enough "OMGWTFAHHHHHH!!!" In your reaction...

But glad to hear you enjoyed it! ^_^

grim-tales

Well
I also said the story (overall) was amazing, and stuff like Takeshi and Tsugumi being your parents 17 years in the future was a definite WTF, You being her own mother (?) - and also the one about the Kid (in Takeshi's arc) pretending to be him 17 years later!
Did Coco stay 14 all the time then? Kubaraki (the Kid in Takeshi's arc) said he fell in love with Coco (!) but by the time he's pretending to be Takeshi isnt that rather creepy? :eek:
Coco seemed rather annoying to me, she seemed like a 6 year old trapped in the body of a teenager.

grim-tales

@Podracer (my first post after finishing):

Finally finished E17
What an AMAZING game/story
it was like 999+ bits of VLR (you organising things yourself, sort of),
I guessed some things but, so so, good WOW...

But I didnt quite get:
The paradox thing... BW (I think?) said if Takeshi were there with everyone, Hokuto hadnt called out "Dad" at the bottom of the sea, so no one had saved him and he just rotted away, and Coco was left behind too. So the accident at LeMU HAD to take place. But why didnt BW saving them later create the same paradox? :s
]

I liked that
Blick Winkel was an actual character and the whole plan was just a way to ask him for help.

I really didnt like how (VLR spoilers)
Sora was a hologram/robot sort of thing - just like Luna, as she was one of the warmest, most gentle characters. Maybe not the most realistic but IMO it was easy to see why someone would fall in love with her. Such a great character.
She was ever so sweet, I just loved her and wanted her to find happiness as I felt that just like the other human characters, she was learning, maybe more :)
It was like the Pygmalion story.
Did she become 'real' at the end? :s

grim-tales

Well, it's been a long while since I've played the game. I think I'm rusty on a few details. >_>

EDIT: Oh Wait... I think I misunderstood (Still might not want to read, grim)
Did he mean that The Kid in his route didn't look like the Kid in Takeshi's route? I thought he was saying that The Kid was supposed to look like Takeshi... meh... My bad?

Yeah, I think thats what I meant.. in the Kid's routes a) First he looks like Takeshi in the pendant/mirror scene and then he looks like someone completely different in the bathroom mirror scene... b) In Takeshi's routes he's completely different!

In Takeshi's routes is that the 'real' Takeshi or the fake one pretending to be him?
Also its rather creepy that in one of the Kid's routes you wind up getting in a clinch (nearly) with Sara... :eek:

upandaway

This is blowing my mind.
The Houjous took the vacation on Watanagashi because of the relation to the dam project? Satoko pushed them because of L5, which was because of the harrassment, which is what caused the vacation in the first place? All of the coincidences are being arranged neatly on a platter and dealt with, boom after boom. And all of this had to have been detailed out this far from the first episode (unless the author really planned on dozens of ridiculous coincidences when he wrote it, which is what I honestly thought before, but there's no way that's true with this obsessive amount of detail).

Respect. The puzzle pieces metaphor works so well it's a bit overwhelming.

grim-tales

I think I know why
Coco called Takeshi (the real one) 'Dad'.
Her real dad was called Takeshi, and maybe he just reminded her of her real Dad. But the funny thing is, if her dad died (wasnt he that researcher), she doesnt seem very cut up about it,
Thats really cute at the end epilogue that Sora became real - doesnt that mean she'll age though?

An excellent story overall, I did enjoy the twists and brainfuckery, I just wish I hadnt played 999 before - oh well :D

upandaway

Man this episode is.. amazing. It's the most fun I've had yet with a solution arc in a mystery. I mean, the twists and reveals are always great, but the conclusion stories themselves are usually lacking (or nonexistent, see Uchikoshi, though he makes up with spares). They always end shortly after the reveals too, like there's no meaning to the story after the mystery is revealed,

It's funny because the "author notes" of Higurashi are the first place I've seen anyone admit this about mysteries (aside from myself), but he's the one that broke the trend for me, I don't even know if he meant to. To say I didn't expect this is an understatement.

upandaway

Speaking of which, to those that played it, explainremember11 was just updated today. Small update but still something I wouldn't have ever thought about.

PKrockin

Going to play Remember 11 next I think :D

Prepare yourself.

Actually, I would slightly recommend playing Never7 first since it has a minor connection to Ever17 and if you weren't as much a fan of the slice of life stuff going from Ever17 to Never7 would help ease you into it. But it's not a big deal.

upandaway

Higurashi end

Right after that post, everything went silly sunshine :lol
During the Miyo flashback and piece assembly I really liked it as a conclusion arc like I posted, during the operation I liked it as a fun little happy ending. Akasaka delivered.
The amount of detail and the atmosphere were really really good. The lighthearted stuff were fun too. Can't say much for the horror but that's just me with horror in general. Some leaps here and there, but nothing too annoying. So yeah I loved it a lot, especially from 4 onwards. Couldn't see any reason for a re-translation (it was more than fine) but I'll double dip on steam easily.

Really looking forward to Umineko after this, but it won't be for.. a while. There wasn't any time counter but pretty sure this is the longest VN I've read. Even F/SN stopped a while before 100 hours, and Higurashi easily passed that, with no VA. Gimme a year or something.

grim-tales

Prepare yourself.

Actually, I would slightly recommend playing Never7 first since it has a minor connection to Ever17 and if you weren't as much a fan of the slice of life stuff going from Ever17 to Never7 would help ease you into it. But it's not a big deal.

Thank you :)
Do N7/R11 have similar crazy stuff going on like in Ever 17? In truth I didnt mind the romance/life stuff that much, it gets you emotionally involved with characters (in a good way) but sometimes it did slow things down. Sometimes you kept having to read similar things.

Knurek

Thank you :)
Do N7/R11 have similar crazy stuff going on like in Ever 17? In truth I didnt mind the romance/life stuff that much, it gets you emotionally involved with characters (in a good way) but sometimes it did slow things down. Sometimes you kept having to read similar things.

R11 does, I couldn't stomach N7 personally, too much of romance in there.
But be warned, R11 wasn't really finished before release, think of it as E17 without Coco route. Loads of unanswered questions, some of which (but not all) you can decipher from tips/bad ends.

grim-tales

Hmm, thanks. Wonder why it wasn't finished? :)
I guess the romance/normal stuff in E17 made the weird stuff even crazier in some ways.

zeopower6

Understandable, though I should totally check out the more 'heavy adult content' VNs to see just what the deal is.

Ah that's what I wanted to also ask: Any reason why 5pb would say no?

Just take a look at what is available from MangaGamer's non-all-ages section. :p

Looking forward to World End Economica's full release soon~

aravuus

Think I'm in the final chapter of G-senjou, the
Tokita/Mizuha hostage situation in the warehouse
just ended. Do I still have long to go? I'm slightly confused, VNDB says G-senjou is medium length so it really should be ending very soon, but the story seems like it'll still go on for another 20 hours.

e: btw, willing to bet
maou is kyousuke's long lost brother or something. just seems like something the vn would pull, especially since kyou's headaches and memory loss and alleged second personality are made to be almost too obvious

e2: the fuck is going on

e3: pacing problemssss. it was super fucking intense all the way until
kyousuke rescued haru, what the hell is up with this slow part now?
this shouldn't be here. i hope the vn is ending soon. or
the final battle
better be worth it.

aravuus

Okay, finished with G-Senjou no Maou. It's 2am and I have school tomorrow so I'll try to keep this short. Or shorter than normal. Not like anyone ever reads these, I just really like to write my thoughts.

It was good. It wasn't as good as I thought it'd be, or as good as I wanted it to be. Chapters 1 to 4 were fantastic, it was like a continuous battle of wits which I really liked.

The true route, or chapter 5, was a disappointment.
Like I said earlier, the pacing felt off. There was an intense couple of hours, more intense than anything else in the VN, that culminated in the biggest twist of the VN. Which I unfortunately totally saw coming. Then there was the 2-hour slow part, with Kyousuke and Haru fucking romantically (what in the hell is so incredible about childhood romances that it has to be goddamn everywhere????). Then the shit hit the fan, and after the first ten minutes of me going "oh man the shit is really hitting the fan right now" I realized it actually wasn't good shit.

It wasn't about the battle of wits anymore, it was just boring survival. I guess you could say Maou's plot to create mayhem and escape thanks to it was pretty cool? But it was nothing compared to the stuff earlier in the story. Fuck, the two earlier hostage situations were infinitely more interesting than the "wow downtown is full of krazy kids we gotta survive!!!!!" stuff.

The ending was very bittersweet, which I liked. Although I 100% expected it to happen, I was still slightly disappointed when Haru came with a kid in the very last scene and went "~~ur still my only 1~~". At least the other characters stayed away. It wasn't a particularly dark VN but I think I would have preferred a straight up sad ending here.

So yeah, 8/10, it was good but disappointing, haru gonzou and maou were good, rest were alright etc etc I could probably write tons more

e: totally did not realize i double posted, wonder why i've got the most posts in this thread

upandaway

I loved the true route for its battle of wits (there were tons of it, dunno what you mean), so if that didn't click, makes sense that you'd be disappointed by the rest, because the rest wasn't that good. It kinda seemed like you were managing your expectations after MLA but you were still disappointed, haha.
I'm counting the hostage situation as a good part of why the true route is good, though, hell it's the best part.

Agreed that Haru, Gonzou and Maou made the whole thing (but I'd add Kyousuke to that)

I think the rollercoaster ...of the true route was entertaining enough.
G-senjou is much much more enjoyable if you don't think too much on everything ..
And i say that becuase i played g-senjou AFTER sharin no kuni and oh god those 2 games are so similar.

Never play sharin no kuni & g-senjou close to each other...
Both are good games , but they shouldn't be near

aravuus

I loved the true route for its battle of wits (there were tons of it, dunno what you mean), so if that didn't click, makes sense that you'd be disappointed by the rest, because the rest wasn't that good.

I guess I was expecting a massive string of gambits from both sides, you know? Something like
Haru and Kyousuke figuring out Maou's long and intricate plan to something incredibly mundane in a stupidly labyrinthine way, just to find out Maou actually wanted them to think that and had something else in mind, BUT it's actually revealed that Haru was onto him all the time rinse and repeat etc.
I mean yeah there were lots of small things here and there, but nothing incredibly grandiose or intricate, I felt.
It kinda seemed like you were managing your expectations after MLA but you were still disappointed, haha.
I'm counting the hostage situation as a good part of why the true route is good, though, hell it's the best part.

Lol yeah, I think I get excited about things way too easily so I end up disappointed very easily too. Don't get me wrong though, the VN was still very good and even though I say it slightly disappointed me, I'd say it's def worth a read no matter who you are.

Agreed that Haru, Gonzou and Maou made the whole thing (but I'd add Kyousuke to that)

He's actually supposed to be there, just imagine he's also on my list.

Muntu, did you go through the side routes? One of my problems with G-senjou is that the side routes
basically lie to you and make no sense in a world where Kyousuke isn't Maou
. And the ending was a bit much for me, it felt way too emotionally manipulative.

kiryogi

Banned
So is Aselia the Eternal really that good? I've been sitting on the PS2 LE for ages, and now seeing an english release for it on JAST I'm super on the fence.

So is Aselia the Eternal really that good? I've been sitting on the PS2 LE for ages, and now seeing an english release for it on JAST I'm super on the fence.

It's a pretty good strategy game. The writing isn't great, but it's good enough if you enjoy Ogre Battle type games. It didn't blow me away or anything, but I enjoyed it.

aravuus

Muntu, did you go through the side routes? One of my problems with G-senjou is that the side routes
basically lie to you and make no sense in a world where Kyousuke isn't Maou
. And the ending was a bit much for me, it felt way too emotionally manipulative.

I did, and I agree.
It's like the game shifts to a completely different universe as soon as you make the route-deciding choice, where things are completely different. The biggest offender was probably Shiratori's route, where Hashimoto suddenly was actually inside the school when the police came. Pretty sure he wasn't supposed to be there. Tsubaki's route had a lot of that too but I can't really remember it, and then there's of course also the fact that Maou, for whatever reason, suddenly decides to forget about Kyousuke and how he abandoned their mother.

Still, they were obviously there just so Kyousuke could fuck all the girls so I didn't give it too much thought.

Now then, start a new VN right away or take a break from them for a while.. They are so time consuming I actually have to think about this haha

upandaway

I guess I was expecting a massive string of gambits from both sides, you know? Something like
Haru and Kyousuke figuring out Maou's long and intricate plan to something incredibly mundane in a stupidly labyrinthine way, just to find out Maou actually wanted them to think that and had something else in mind, BUT it's actually revealed that Haru was onto him all the time rinse and repeat etc.
I mean yeah there were lots of small things here and there, but nothing incredibly grandiose or intricate, I felt.
I see what you mean, it was more chaotic and ad-libbed than the traditional "you activated my trap card" type. I didn't really notice that while reading, so I enjoyed it all the same, but the skirmishes with Maou throughout the rest of the VN are more of what you mean.

If there were more battle of wits stories out there I'd probably feel something about that, but alas, I'll take whatever I can.

Now then, start a new VN right away or take a break from them for a while.. They are so time consuming I actually have to think about this haha
What's next on your list?

aravuus

I see what you mean, it was more chaotic and ad-libbed than the traditional "you activated my trap card" type. I didn't really notice that while reading, so I enjoyed it all the same, but the skirmishes with Maou throughout the rest of the VN are more of what you mean.

Yeah, exactly what I meant. I just woke up and wasn't sure if I was making any sense lol, glad to see I was

What's next on your list?

Well I still got to finish Umineko (not sure if I'll ever get around it tho) and I'm still interested in Fate/Stay Night and Steins;Gate. They are all incredibly long though, +50 hours is just crazy. Baldr Sky Dive 1 and 2 also sound interesting, but they aren't translated so that's that.

Kara no Shoujo seems like a short-ish murder mystery, so maybe that. I'm just checking the best rated VNs on VNDB, really. So many pure romance ones, man.

e: in fact i think i've posted about kara no shoujo before, too

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah, exactly what I meant. I just woke up and wasn't sure if I was making any sense lol, glad to see I was

Well I still got to finish Umineko (not sure if I'll ever get around it tho) and I'm still interested in Fate/Stay Night and Steins;Gate. They are all incredibly long though, +50 hours is just crazy. Baldr Sky Dive 1 and 2 also sound interesting, but they aren't translated so that's that.

Kara no Shoujo seems like a short-ish murder mystery, so maybe that. I'm just checking the best rated VNs on VNDB, really. So many pure romance ones, man.

e: in fact i think i've posted about kara no shoujo before, too

Kara no Shoujo will crush your soul.

aravuus

One more thing to say about G-senjou: the music was fucking incredible

Kara no Shoujo will crush your soul.

What do you mean?

e: wait lol, i remember this main menu. how is it possible that i've completely forgotten about ever starting this vn, jesus christ.

well anyway, crushing my soul sounds like it's gonna be a sad story. i'm very okay with that.

e2: oh nooo, the voices don't cut mid-sentence when i advance the dialogue :( that's not very good, and it even seems the va volume is tied to special effects volume so i can't really mute them either

e3: tits, out of fucking nowhere

upandaway

Just finished Kagetsu Tohya, and thanks Basileus for the walkthrough warning. That was the most intense confusion I've ever had with a VN, hahaha.. phew. I'd like to say that I grasped the story as well as anyone could (I realized
it's a dream by the first replay
), but I don't know if it was the fiercely literal translation or the source material itself, but it was a wild ride. Some of the flags were so obscure that, forget hidden CGs, I might not have been able to finish it without a guide (at least not in double the time it took me).
That's probably the closest I've come to actually "playing" a story, so that's something. And it was a nice and fuzzy one which I always like. That was fun.

Marche90

Grisaia no Meikyuu translation is happening.

900x900px-LL-00d4bfb6_its-happening-ron-paul-gif.gif

Whew... Marathoned Dangan Ronpa throrough the weekend. HOLY SHIT, what a game! That is all.

grim-tales

Gone back to Kara no Shojo for a bit, it seems like a good murder mystery (though I'm only playing a demo version) but
Is there any need for hentai/eroge sex scenes? They just seem wrong, I'm not Prudey McPrude but it was just.. weird :eek:

aravuus

Gone back to Kara no Shojo for a bit, it seems like a good murder mystery (though I'm only playing a demo version) but
Is there any need for hentai/eroge sex scenes? They just seem wrong, I'm not Prudey McPrude but it was just.. weird :eek:

Dude, this is like 90% of VNs. I don't think I've heard of a VN where the sex had something to do with the story, it's always out of place, irritating and extremely, ridiculously cliche. Every single time.

So yeah just, you know, skip them and don't pay them any attention. That's what I do. It's not like they have girls going "ahh onii-chan~~~~ deeper harder btw the butler did it", or anything else plot-related.

Knurek

Dude, this is like 90% of VNs. I don't think I've heard of a VN where the sex had something to do with the story, it's always out of place, irritating and extremely, ridiculously cliche. Every single time.

Saya no Uta and Steins;Gate both beg to differ.
They are exceptions, obviously, but still.

aravuus

Saya no Uta and Steins;Gate both beg to differ.
They are exceptions, obviously, but still.

Yeah. They're the 10 per cent.

e: s;g's vndb page says it's got no sexual content doooood

e2: to clarify, i'm talking about very gratuitous porn with bodily fluids and pixelated body parts everywhere, not "*fade to black* then they spent the night embracing each other" which is totally fine and usually does actually have something to do with the story

Fate/stay night tries to make it a part of the story. It's still completely stupid and unnecessary, but at least they tried.

Knurek

Yeah. They're the 10 per cent.

e: s;g's vndb page says it's got no sexual content doooood

e2: to clarify, i'm talking about very gratuitous porn with bodily fluids and pixelated body parts everywhere, not "*fade to black* then they spent the night embracing each other" which is totally fine and usually does actually have something to do with the story

There's a bit where Okabe goes mad due to being in constant time loop and rapes another character.
Not really t&a, but still kind of gross.

aravuus

There's a bit where Okabe goes mad due to being in constant time loop and rapes another character.
Not really t&a, but still kind of gross.

Holy shit, I need to read Steins;Gate. The anime was already plenty heavy when the shit started hitting the fan but it would seem the VN has a lot darker stuff in it.

hank_tree

Fate/stay night tries to make it a part of the story. It's still completely stupid and unnecessary, but at least they tried.

They really don't. It's so terrible and out of place. The characters become completely different people for the purposes of the sex scenes. They don't fit into the story at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom